Switching rooms within the same category after final payment

Good morning! DH, DD, and I are booked in a CLS for our September sailing on Harmony. When we booked, only a few were left, and they weren't in the best locations. We're now 81 days out and a CLS right in the middle on the starboard side is showing available. I just tried calling to switch and was told I'd have to pay the prevailing rate (which is over $1,000 more than we paid). Is that correct? I thought I could switch within the same category (L1) at no charge, but maybe that's only before final payment? I thought I'd ask here before trying again and speaking with another agent.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Just now, LisaLisa87 said:

Good morning! DH, DD, and I are booked in a CLS for our September sailing on Harmony. When we booked, only a few were left, and they weren't in the best locations. We're now 81 days out and a CLS right in the middle on the starboard side is showing available. I just tried calling to switch and was told I'd have to pay the prevailing rate (which is over $1,000 more than we paid). Is that correct? I thought I could switch within the same category (L1) at no charge, but maybe that's only before final payment? I thought I'd ask here before trying again and speaking with another agent.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Call back.  You can switch. 

• Like 1

Well, I give up. I've spoken to three different people. The first agent told me there were no other CLSs available. I waited 30 minutes and called again, and the second agent told me the room I wanted was available, but I'd have to pay the prevailing rate to switch. I just tried C&A and was told the same thing. The gentleman I spoke with said that even though the rooms are in the same category, there are different rates depending on location. I'm going to throw in the towel at this point. At the end of the day, we'll still be in a CLS!

Edited by LisaLisa87

36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Call back.  You can switch. 

Absolutely. We switched from an aft facing CLS to a side facing CLS on Harmony 3 days before we sailed and there was no argument or upcharge to do so.

• Like 1

I tried to switch cabins a couple weeks ago for my cruise in September. Same category, identical cabins in a better location and was told I’d have to pay the current price which would have been $1500 extra.

37 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Well, I give up. I've spoken to three different people. The first agent told me there were no other CLSs available. I waited 30 minutes and called again, and the second agent told me the room I wanted was available, but I'd have to pay the prevailing rate to switch. I just tried C&A and was told the same thing. The gentleman I spoke with said that even though the rooms are in the same category, there are different rates depending on location. I'm going to throw in the towel at this point. At the end of the day, we'll still be in a CLS!

I am wondering if you booked back when there was 2 different categories of CLS.  The L1 and the L2.  They did indeed have different prices.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I am wondering if you booked back when there was 2 different categories of CLS.  The L1 and the L2.  They did indeed have different prices.

We booked in February, and all of the CLSs were L1 at that time. I was surprised, because the last time I had considered booking one there were L1s and L2s.

The C&A rep actually told me to ask to switch after boarding, which is of course ridiculous. I'm guessing someone will book the room before the day is out or, if not, someone will get it via RoyalUp.

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If the agent said it was the same category but different price due to location, then it wasn't the same category.

They were definitely the same category (L1) when I booked and are the same category today. The agent acknowledged that the two rooms are the same category, but he said that the prices can still be different within a category -- which was news to me and apparently to others here.

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

100% completely incorrect!

Yes, which is why the conversation was very frustrating. When I didn't initially cave, he changed tack and went down the "Prices are subject to change..." path. It was clear I wasn't going to get a different answer.

I'm going to speculate for a minute. When I booked in February (which is late for me), the only CLSs available were those that faced aft (ALL of them) plus 1702 and 1764. I ended up booking 1764. I'm wondering now whether they initially held back all of what used to be the L2 rooms until all of the L1s had been booked. When I booked, the CLS was the same price as a GS, which I found odd. I have no way of knowing since they were all booked, but I wonder if the side facing CLSs (aside from 1702 and 1764) were priced higher when they were available. I found an old deck plan showing the "less desirable" CLSs (see below). Again though, this was not the deck plan that was in effect when I booked. At some point all of the CLSs were designated L1.

image.png.6fc94be83bffa5cb6f9459f5bfd868a3.png

Old deck plan

image.png.4edb356ba494729daf0c46d4692bde23.png

Current deck plan

41 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

I ended up booking 1764.

We have booked this CLS on Harmony - would book it again in a heartbeat. Other than the slightly smaller balcony and a bit of obstructed view directly forward, it was great. DW loved the long hallway from the cabin door to the main living area. It eliminated any noise from the corridor.

IMG_0176.jpeg

IMG_0174.jpeg

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Try calling Crown and Anchor.  They tend to be better agents and they have the full power to service direct bookings.

‭(800) 526-9723‬

Crown & Anchor was my third call. I'm debating whether I'm going to try one more time and then ask for Resolutions when I get the same answer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Crown & Anchor was my third call. I'm debating whether I'm going to try one more time and then ask for Resolutions when I get the same answer.

Give it one more shot good luck 

• Like 2

The fourth time was the charm! I called C&A again and explained what has gone on so far. This agent said right off the bat that I was given incorrect information before. He made the switch and sent me the updated invoice while we were still on the phone. So persistence pays, but I wouldn't have tried again without the support here. Thank you!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

The fourth time was the charm! I called C&A again and explained what has gone on so far. This agent said right off the bat that I was given incorrect information before. He made the switch and sent me the updated invoice while we were still on the phone. So persistence pays, but I wouldn't have tried again without the support here. Thank you!

Woohoo, thanks for confirming and enjoy the new room!

• Like 1