Excursion Company Recommendations

jerseyralph

We will be sailing on the Carnival Venezia in February, 2024.  We are going to island we have never been to, Antigua, Dominica, Grenada, St. Lucia and St. Maarten.   Recognizing that the cruise ships excursions are heavily marked up, I am looking at several companies, ShoreExcursionner and Shore Excursions Group.  I have also seen some discussion here about Venture Ashore, generally to stay away from that company.  

I would be interested in any feedback or recommendations, good or bad anyone may have. 

JerseyRalph

For St. Lucia, we learned about Serenity Tours here on CC:

https://*****

We not only had a fantastic time, but we've booked with them again when we returned.

They helped us create a very customized tour for just the two of us (but they certainly have "regular pre-planned" excursions, too).  We asked them to include two hotels we wanted to check out for possible future visits.  And we had discussed a lot of "our interests" so they could add suggestions of places we might enjoy.

Much to our surprise, when we visited on of the hotels, they mentioned that there was another hotel right nearby (it was indeed very close) that they thought we might enjoy, and they had made an appointment for us to view the property - but we did NOT have to keep the appt.  When we saw the location... we viewed the property.  And the Serenity folks got it exactly right.  IF we return for a non-cruise stay, that is where we will go!

For the second time, they helped arrange a charter of a large catamaran (the type with 4 bedrooms and bathrooms/heads) for day use.  We asked on our Roll Call, and had several others join us.  

It was that first trip with them when we learned to ask private guides something like, "Based upon the questions we are asking and what we want to see/do, is there anything else you'd recommend?" And we've got some wonderful "add ons" for a variety of tours over the years.  🙂 

They were really *terrific*!

GC

20 minutes ago, jerseyralph said:

I would be interested in any feedback or recommendations, good or bad anyone may have. 

The companies you mention are all middlemen. Like the cruise line. I prefer to book direct. If you search you can find the actual tour operator  and not go through a third party. Enter the tour description in google is one way to find the real tour operator. Also check the CC port of call boards. There are usually recomendations for tour operators on those boards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just posted a tour guide recommendation for St. Lucia.

It seems my entire post is on "hold" while the mods decide if the website link I included is approved.

If that doesn't get approved, I'll repost with the rest of my text, without the link.

We agree that companies that simple arrange with other guides aren't the best choice.  We've always made arrangements with the 'guides' themselves, be it a single guide or a company.  That's the only way to make sure YOUR comments or questions actually reach the guide!

ETA:  They've approved my post, but not the website address.

Just Google the name, and you'll find them.

Enjoy!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

For St. Lucia, we learned about Serenity Tours here on CC:

https://*****

We not only had a fantastic time, but we've booked with them again when we returned.

They helped us create a very customized tour for just the two of us (but they certainly have "regular pre-planned" excursions, too).  We asked them to include two hotels we wanted to check out for possible future visits.  And we had discussed a lot of "our interests" so they could add suggestions of places we might enjoy.

Much to our surprise, when we visited on of the hotels, they mentioned that there was another hotel right nearby (it was indeed very close) that they thought we might enjoy, and they had made an appointment for us to view the property - but we did NOT have to keep the appt.  When we saw the location... we viewed the property.  And the Serenity folks got it exactly right.  IF we return for a non-cruise stay, that is where we will go!

For the second time, they helped arrange a charter of a large catamaran (the type with 4 bedrooms and bathrooms/heads) for day use.  We asked on our Roll Call, and had several others join us.  

It was that first trip with them when we learned to ask private guides something like, "Based upon the questions we are asking and what we want to see/do, is there anything else you'd recommend?" And we've got some wonderful "add ons" for a variety of tours over the years.  🙂 

They were really *terrific*!

GC

I second this recommendation based on using Serenity on three different cruises.  They were all pre-Covid so I'm glad to see that they are still in business.

5 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I should add that you definitely want to join the roll call for your cruise. Its a good way to get ideas and possibly even excursion shares. 

When I was planning my first cruise there was no such thing as the internet.

6 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I should add that you definitely want to join the roll call for your cruise. Its a good way to get ideas and possibly even excursion shares. 

Good suggestion.  Do a bit of advance research about each island, identify what you might want to see/do on each. Talk it up on your roll call - get ideas from people who know the places, perhaps join up to share a rental car - or rent one on your own.  If you read up on Caribbean islands you can learn a lot -perhaps pick one or two activities on each - too often organized tours wind up with you spending the day on a bus with a lot of other people who did not bother to learn and to plan in advance.

Your best bet is to go to tripadvisor.com and look for the top rated excursion vendors in each of the ports you visit. As others have noted it is always best to book directly with the excursion operator and not a third party. 

If you book with a third party like Viator they will have not interest in refunding your money in case the ship misses a port or there or some type of issue that arises. 

Jonathan