Future of Carnival fleet - 2027 and beyond.

787cruiser

Not that it means anything at this point, today on JH FB page he asked the following question:

"Do you one day hope that Carnival Cruise Line will build a smaller ship, a brand new ship say a new Spirit class sized ship?". 

I think this is very interesting, because he often presents items prior to news releases.  No guarantees, but interesting and adds to this thread.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JMAE said:

Not that it means anything at this point, today on JH FB page he asked the following question:

"Do you one day hope that Carnival Cruise Line will build a smaller ship, a brand new ship say a new Spirit class sized ship?". 

I think this is very interesting, because he often presents items prior to news releases.  No guarantees, but interesting and adds to this thread.  

Yes I noticed that. I'll eat my words if  Carnival announces that they will build a new 100,000 +/- tons ship class.

• Like 2

He is playing to his audience. He knows his audience is a lot of seasoned cruisers that likes smaller ships. He's driving engagement.

The economy of scale just isn't there. A Spirit class ship holds a third as many guests as a new Excel class. You'd think it would only take a third as many crew, but no - closer to half. And it won't be a third the price to build.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

He is playing to his audience. He knows his audience is a lot of seasoned cruisers that likes smaller ships. He's driving engagement.

The economy of scale just isn't there. A Spirit class ship holds a third as many guests as a new Excel class. You'd think it would only take a third as many crew, but no - closer to half. And it won't be a third the price to build.

As someone else mentioned on this thread the Carnival CORP is most certainly building smaller ships, but for their other cruiselines such as Holland America's Pinnacle Class at 100,000 tons. I just don't see it for their namesake Carnival brand.

2 hours ago, JMAE said:

I don't think JH would ever release inside information.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think JH would ever release inside information.

Didn't release any info, he asked a question.  I don't think he would ask a question like that without receiving guidance from whom he calls the beards.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JMAE said:

Didn't release any info, he asked a question.  I don't think he would ask a question like that without receiving guidance from whom he calls the beards.   

Carnival is never going to build another Spirit class ship. If Costa has any let they may transfer another one but there will never be another one built, at least not for Carnival.

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Carnival is never going to build another Spirit class ship. If Costa has any let they may transfer another one but there will never be another one built, at least not for Carnival.

They have one left, Luminosa’s sister but that usually covers their world cruise run.

Ideally they could take two from AIDA which are similar size to the Fantasy class with more balcony options and order them another Excel to cover the berth loss and then some. 

57 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

They have one left, Luminosa’s sister but that usually covers their world cruise run.

Ideally they could take two from AIDA which are similar size to the Fantasy class with more balcony options and order them another Excel to cover the berth loss and then some. 

In February AIDA announced a refurbishment program that will cover all of their older ships There certainly would be enough time to change course should circumstances warrant it, but I think Costa would be more vulnerable if current events get out of hand.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, JMAE said:

And the funny thing about that is when you go through and read the comments almost every single one says yes. But it falls on deaf ears, as someone else pointed out the majority of John’s following is seasoned cruisers who appreciate the subtle things that make the Spirit class great. Unfortunately that is not the clientele that Carnival is ordering new ships for. 

8 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

And the funny thing about that is when you go through and read the comments almost every single one says yes. But it falls on deaf ears, as someone else pointed out the majority of John’s following is seasoned cruisers who appreciate the subtle things that make the Spirit class great. Unfortunately that is not the clientele that Carnival is ordering new ships for. 

It has zero to do with their hearing ability and totally about the finances to a decision.  I have no idea what you are referring to clientele.  

40 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It has zero to do with their hearing ability and totally about the finances to a decision.  I have no idea what you are referring to clientele.  

The clientele being targeted by newer and larger ships are those new to cruising. More than 80% of the US population has never been on a cruise.

Just now, tidecat said:

The clientele being targeted by newer and larger ships are those new to cruising. More than 80% of the US population has never been on a cruise.

Thanks, understand that, but was not sure reading the post…

Yeah, while I'd personally be a fan, I don't think a Spirit sized ship is ever going to be in the works for Carnival. HAL? Different story.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I was just stating that the clientele they build new ships for is the new cruiser. A new Spirit class ship (while appealing to us) is not gonna look great on a commercial and bring in the blue cards. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

I was just stating that the clientele they build new ships for is the new cruiser. A new Spirit class ship (while appealing to us) is not gonna look great on a commercial and bring in the blue cards. 

Agree

4 hours ago, jsglow said:

Yeah, while I'd personally be a fan, I don't think a Spirit sized ship is ever going to be in the works for Carnival. HAL? Different story.

Very.  Perfect fit for HAL

• Like 1