Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

LOL 

Hi Fellow Oceania Lovers,

Heads up.

The website is open and already crashed 10 minutes ago.

Was able to check  Regatta Sydney to Sydney Jan 25, 2024. It's up $2000 pp for B2.

Our Vista Athens to Rome probably had a misprint.  There's an increase of $900 pp for our PH2 but it didn't show any $ amount of excursion credits.  We booked with 6 excursions pp. 

Will wait to see.

🌊😎

44 minutes ago, WildWanderers said:

Two days ago I recorded the cost of the cruises we booked some time ago, if I were to have booked them two days ago for the same room type.  In all five cases the prices had increased, before SimplyMore could have been baked in.  I recall reading a few times that price increases were expected, but did not take much notice.  

I figured a fairer comparison to establish how prices have shifted was to compare apples to apples as much as possible - the same query two days apart - not taking into consideration that I may have gotten a better deal some time ago.

The costs of all five of these cruises is the same today as it was two days ago...making me wonder if any SimplyMore price adjustments have actually been incorporated yet.  It is not obvious how they would include such adjustments in a website set up for OLife and not SimplyMore, anyway.

I too expected to wake up this morning to a new website, but everything is the same, including at least for me, the prices.

Happy Canada Day!  Bonne fête du Canada!

Greg from Gatineau, Québec

Bonne fète du Canada a vous! Happy Canada Day from Toronto! We have two cruises booked in 2024 - we always do cruise-only, and I just looked on the Canadian website - it now shows the Simply More prices. I also had taken a screenshot (and have our confirmation invoices) for both. Because one was an onboard booking with discount and OBC and the other during a special promotion, we are much better off staying with our bookings as they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Vista A2 11/19/23 to Caribbean 12 days for 2 is now $9,198. We are booked at $7,398, cruise only.

Simply More is Simply $1,800 More for 12 day cruise!
We have $700 shipboard credit and book 1 Caribbean excursion only to use up some of it, so an additional $800 excursion credit is of no use to us.  This is a very substantial increase.
Happy we’re booked “cruise only” into 2025. 

Are you comparing to what you booked for or what is was yesterday before the increase?

12 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

What does this mean: 

‘ free, champagne, wine, and more valued at up to US$2800 per stateroom’ 

It means  you get what was  the House Select beverage package  included plus  an Excursion credit  if you book a cruise  now  & departing after Oct 1st

Not sure what happens if you are able to book a cruise now & depart prioe to Oct  what  the deal is

Best to talk to your TA

3 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

I only have one Oceania cruise booked and have been tracking the price since I booked.  It is now showing the "Introducing the Simply More" offer.  The price is exactly the same.  To me - it seems like the offer is more in line with Azamara than the luxury lines.

I would wait for the dust to settle & check on Monday LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here are my initial observations:

-Oceania continues to say this “FREE Roundtriip Airfare” and “FREE Airport Transfers” nonsense, even after they “simplified” their website, now clearing letting the customers know that airfare is OPTIONAL.  Perhaps it’s time for us to let the FTC know about this?

-It is rather disingenuous to say “FREE Shore Excursions,” “FREE Champagne and Wine,” “FREE unlimited Wifi,” etc. when these inclusions have resulted in conjunction with an effective price increase.  It would be better to say “NOW INCLUDED” or something like that.  Also it’s more accurate to say “Shore Excursion Credits.”

-I was wondering if you decline the shore excursion credit, would the price go down?  If not, that check mark is nothing more than a very crude IQ test.  (In my opinion the “option” to take OLife OBC was, in most instances, was also an IQ test.)

-I did a quick look at just a few itineraries that I knew the “cost” of buying airfare through Oceania before Simply More.  It appears that “cost” has slightly come done in the instances I checked.  I wonder if Oceania is now shifting their source of profit margin to the opaquely bundled cruise fare?  It’s not surprising to me at all.  However I’m still not sure if this is good/bad.  The good:  the supposed added “cost” of airfare from Oceania might be less on some itineraries.  The bad:  you no longer may not save as much money by doing your own airfare AND you might be overpaying for the cruise-only part.

-The pricing information, not surprisingly, is less complex.  It’s not because it’s more transparent, but because it is more restrictive/limited.  Now your only option is to a) have Oceania buy your airfare for you or b) you make your own arrangements.  No other option is available as far as I could tell so far.  I think this new way of pricing would be welcomed by those customers who are easily confused/intimidated by too many options, but at the same time, it gives that same people a false sense of getting a good deal, since now everybody on board is paying for all of the “FREE” amenities, including those you may only use sparing or not at all.

In summary, SimplyMore appears to be a marketing tool geared toward those new to cruising who are blissfully unaware of/uninterested in knowing the itemized costs of some of the major components of their cruise vacation, or the value they might receive on their purchase.  This may sell more cruises, but I am not sure if this is a best strategy to recruit repeat customers.

Also, I’m suspecting that this bundled/opaque and restrictive pricing model will allow Oceania to do promotional pricing in a simple manner, instead of having multiple different discounts on different components of the cruise experience.  In my (perhaps limited) opinion, this is definitely not a “consumer-friendly” change.

• Like 2

I just looked at the itinerary we asked our TA to reserve for us yesterday. There are two options. 
‘Promotional fare with airfare’, and ‘Promotional fare’. 
Does the without airfare include all the other ‘simply more’ features?  Or would you think that means cruise only in a new lingo?  If it includes, the price point is lower than the OLife was before. Higher though than the old cruise only pricing was 
Regardless, included $1,000 in excursions is rather meaningless to us. We rarely take a ship excursion. Whenever we do, we say ‘that’s the last one’. We just do not enjoy them. I hope there are options with this “benefit/no benefit” money that using it on excursions. 

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

I just looked at the itinerary we asked our TA to reserve for us yesterday. There are two options. 
‘Promotional fare with airfare’, and ‘Promotional fare’. 
Does the without airfare include all the other ‘simply more’ features?  Or would you think that means cruise only in a new lingo?  If it includes, the price point is lower than the OLife was before. Higher though than the old cruise only pricing was 
Regardless, included $1,000 in excursions is rather meaningless to us. We rarely take a ship excursion. Whenever we do, we say ‘that’s the last one’. We just do not enjoy them. I hope there are options with this “benefit/no benefit” money that using it on excursions. 

in case you missed the thousands of post on Simply more

It is  with air  or without air  but all the other  perks apply

image.png.5ca2c0fa47d5ab1b5d7713fa7feb77f0.png

While I am not necessarily disagreeing with you I do think you may have an overly broad thought as to whom this affects negatively.  If what we have read so far is correct and the general price increase is approx $400 per person for a typical ten day cruise over the cruise only fare (understand we are not 100% on this as I cannot yet use the O website either.) Then I believe most people are going to like it.  After all, I think many people already paid $300 for Olife and now for an extra $100 per person they get additional internet access (with the better, quicker internet being installed fleetwide,) and both the basic wine at meals package and $800 to be used across any set of excursions they like. (We will see in practice how this works.  I think this will be a tough one for O to get right as I believe many people, like us, are thinking I will do one great excursion per trip for the bulk of the credit.  Hopefully with some practice they will figure it out.)

Now, we are cruise only non drinkers who have not yet used an excursion but even I don't think this outrageous if this is the new price.  Would I prefer cruise only going forward, sure but as I know from prior research O pricing was, in many instances lower than Azamara, Viking, etc. (Not for all but certainly for some if not many,) I don't feel the increase is out of line with what you get.

As for those like you, me, and some who come to these boards, I just don't think most cruisers plan and research to this degree.  They are happier to have a (mostly) one price includes all and just want to have fun.

Further, as Americans, we know that in 2023 the world is very different than when you or I grew up.  As absurd as it may seem people buy more when it says "sale" or "free".  Seem to remember JC Penny almost going out of business when they lowered their prices and stopped sales.  I certainly don't like it and I know many here do not but I try to think of it in a positive way.  I know its a bunch of fluff so I can take some extra time and figure out the true score and make my best decision.  Will the new pricing (being more inclusive) allow me to truly figure out each piece?  Probably not but really, what matter?  Now that O no longer has cruise only, there is no product available in this category (or above) which does.   I determined years back there was basically no way to do an apples to apples comparison for us.  What I did determine was that for my set of circumstances I could cruise basically at the luxury level, sans extras, for a price which is working for us.  While increasing, hopefully this will not price us out.

Hoping that we all stay cruising and get to meet in the future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, grifdoglover said:

What time does the weeping and gnashing  of teeth begin?

Celebrations and high-fiving are going on in my house because we wisely booked cruise only for two of our likely last Oceania cruises, one just a few days ago. Woof on the pricing, ours both soared upwards by over $1000 pp with unwanted additions so we’re thrilled for these two and I guess we’ll watch to see what happens but right now they have priced themselves out of our market.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Woofa said:

While I am not necessarily disagreeing with you I do think you may have an overly broad thought as to whom this affects negatively.  If what we have read so far is correct and the general price increase is approx $400 per person for a typical ten day cruise over the cruise only fare (understand we are not 100% on this as I cannot yet use the O website either.) Then I believe most people are going to like it.  After all, I think many people already paid $300 for Olife and now for an extra $100 per person they get additional internet access (with the better, quicker internet being installed fleetwide,) and both the basic wine at meals package and $800 to be used across any set of excursions they like. (We will see in practice how this works.  I think this will be a tough one for O to get right as I believe many people, like us, are thinking I will do one great excursion per trip for the bulk of the credit.  Hopefully with some practice they will figure it out.)

That is a great thought on using the excursion credit for those of us who do not do excursions - if Oceania stands firm on what this credit is only available to use, I can see this being the best option for non excursion types of travelers. That could in fact turn into a bonus because some of the very high end excursions (which we would not put that kind of money out for) can be fairly attractive. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 2

Don’t throw in your towels yet folks, there remains a Cruise Only price, so the grapevine says.  I am sure we will see the official information shortly since It Is July 1. Is the overall price going up, sure but the one thing I have learned from 15 years of sailing on Oceania, it is about the overall Value. Each of us will make our own determination of value so when we do our comparisons with other lines and cruises, we will make our best decisions.  No one likes “Paying” More but just maybe Simply More will still give us the Value we desire. JMHO.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, I am not a paid Influencer 🤪, We just happen to have found a wonderful home and family with Oceania. Since O was FDR’s “Baby”, only time will tell if his successors treat the baby right.  While the jury is out, we will get back aboard Vista soon with friends and start planning our future bookings on Allura when O releases itineraries and opens for bookings in September I believe it will be.  🙏🤞.  
Mauibabes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mostly out of curiosity, I will look at the new Simply More prices for my already booked post 10/1/23 O cruises and do some math.

I fully expect my current deal will be the better one.

For the future, I’ll do what I have always done. Find an itinerary I like, look at what O is including for the fare, decide if the price works for us, see what our TA can add to the deal and make a decision. (All before I gasp at the price of intercontinental bizclass airfare).

🤔😳😢
Not exactly rocket science.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Now, we are cruise only non drinkers who have not yet used an excursion but even I don't think this outrageous if this is the new price.  Would I prefer cruise only going forward, sure but as I know from prior research O pricing was, in many instances lower than Azamara, Viking, etc. (Not for all but certainly for some if not many,) I don't feel the increase is out of line with what you get.

As for those like you, me, and some who come to these boards, I just don't think most cruisers plan and research to this degree.  They are happier to have a (mostly) one price includes all and just want to have fun.

Further, as Americans, we know that in 2023 the world is very different than when you or I grew up.  As absurd as it may seem people buy more when it says "sale" or "free".  Seem to remember JC Penny almost going out of business when they lowered their prices and stopped sales.  I certainly don't like it and I know many here do not but I try to think of it in a positive way.  I know its a bunch of fluff so I can take some extra time and figure out the true score and make my best decision.  Will the new pricing (being more inclusive) allow me to truly figure out each piece?  Probably not but really, what matter?  Now that O no longer has cruise only, there is no product available in this category (or above) which does.   I determined years back there was basically no way to do an apples to apples comparison for us.  What I did determine was that for my set of circumstances I could cruise basically at the luxury level, sans extras, for a price which is working for us.  While increasing, hopefully this will not price us out.

Hoping that we all stay cruising and get to meet in the future.

Agree with you 100%.

For us, we would prefer to stay with the previous structure as we don't drink and prefer not to take ship excursions. However, most people do drink and take at least the basic drink package for $40/day.

Now there is a $40/day price increase, so they basically get the excursion credit of $40/day and the second WiFi for free.

Or put it another way, if someone booked with oLife, they got one amenity, now they get 2 for the same price, plus second WiFi.

Looks very reasonable to me.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Mostly out of curiosity, I will look at the new Simply More prices for my already booked post 10/1/23 O cruises and do some math.

For the future, I’ll do what I have always done. Find an itinerary I like, look at what O is including for the fare, decide if the price works for us, see what our TA can add to the deal and make a decision. (All before I gasp at the price of intercontinental bizclass airfare).

🤔😳😢

Exactly. And if you booked at least 6-12 month ago and prices already went up before today's increase, then it's reasonable to assume that your original deal is better.

Comparing the new prices to the previous ones is a nice academic exercise, but the only thing that matters going forward is how the new pricing compares to the competition, considering all inclusions. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, janecambridge said:

What does this mean: 

‘ free, champagne, wine, and more valued at up to US$2800 per stateroom’ 

Wine, beer or "Champagne " only at lunch or dinner. I wonder if Waves is considered lunch?😜🤪🙃

Just now, Rainbow3fe said:

Wine, beer or "Champagne " only at lunch or dinner. I wonder if Waves is considered lunch?😜🤪🙃

We ate at Waves often in the past with the Select Beverage package and enjoyed our wine so yes, Waves is considered lunch

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

🤔😳😢

Same with us.

So far it's weird on 2 of my already booked.

Price for a 14 day B2 on Regatta is $2000 more pp, while 24 day PH2 on Vista is $900 more.  I don't get it.  Thankfully I have plenty of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Same with us.

Price for a 14 day B2 on Regatta is $2000 more pp, while 24 day PH2 on Vista is $900 more.  I don't get it.  Thankfully I have plenty of time.

What promotion are you currently booked with for pricing comparison,....

Edited by basor
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Same with us.

I’m not sure  I’d go with anything I see on the website right now. We have 2 booked cruises in 2024.  One does not even appear in the search. The other one for an A2 right now looks like 350 more.  Who really knows at this point. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

Our Feb, 2024 51 Day South America cruise only increased by $100 pp for the SM with Air. I already booked my own air for a significant savings but my TA is planning to remove the air from my booking next week.  We were waiting to see what SM would do to our reservation and I'm concerned that just that change will change the entire pricing of our booking.  We should have probably removed the air last week. Removing the air for our itinerary is a savings of $3000 pp.   O only prices for Economy  for this itinerary.  We paid only $781/pp for Prem. Eco so great deal there for us.  So far, keeping OLife and removing the air looks almost exactly like SM w/o air.  Neutral at this point.

However.... when you get to the ShoreEx choices, things get a lot more confusing and I still have work to do with that.  We had chosen, but not paid for, 15 excursions.  11 were included with O'Life for a total savings of $3600 (we weren't able to optimize to get the full $4400 by picking all 11 at $199 each)  - so far OLife is winning -- but the option for 25% discount over and above the 11 is now gone.  It may still be grandfathered into my price - I still have to do the calculations -- but it doesn't appear on the selection screen.  Now appears an option for SM at $2945x2 and then the O'Life "discount" is deducted from that - still a better deal with OLife.  The only other option is Unlimited, which is $3415/pp which is not an option for me.  Winner - O'Life but I reserve final decision until I can speak to someone from O (probably not next week) who can game it out for me.

I should add that we don't drink a lot and on our last 32 day O trip we brought on 8 bottles of wonderful So. African wine, happily paid the corkage, went to Happy Hour before dinner most days, added an occasional wine or beer with meal and still didn't spend $500 in additional bar charges so the drink package may not be a game changer.

Bottom line - the change from OLife fare to SM fare isn't a game changer for us.  But the shore ex/drinks calculations still don't add up to SM being Simply Better.

• Like 1