Celebrity stop in Messina. Are there tours to Palermo?

Lazz

I am looking at a Celebrity Silhouette Med cruise that stops in Messina.  I wanted to get to Palermo to visit the city where my grandfather was born.  Does anyone know if their are ship tours to Palermo or the best way to get to Palermo so I can get back to the ship on time?

20 minutes ago, Lazz said:

I am looking at a Celebrity Silhouette Med cruise that stops in Messina.  I wanted to get to Palermo to visit the city where my grandfather was born.  Does anyone know if their are ship tours to Palermo or the best way to get to Palermo so I can get back to the ship on time?

We've been to Messina many times and I cannot recall any kind of tour to Palermo.  Likely because the drive is 2 1/2-3 hours each way since Palermo is on the other side of Sicily.  Which means that unless you have a very long call in Messina (like 8 AM to 8 PM or later), such a tour would not be practicable. 

I do see that some of the Silhouette calls are from 07:00 to 19:00 so technically it may be doable on your own.  However, we have driven all over Italy and Sicily many times and would never even consider such an endeavor. And since the rental car facilities in Messina don't open until 8 or 9, would render even that virtually impossible.

Celebrity does have sailings with stops in Palermo, though, so that's really how it can be done.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 2

We just found a taxi driver who spoke reasonable English and had him take us around then to a good local restaurant, it was a fun day but nobody in restaurant spoke any English took a while for us to order,

19 minutes ago, George C said:

We just found a taxi driver who spoke reasonable English and had him take us around then to a good local restaurant, it was a fun day but nobody in restaurant spoke any English took a while for us to order,

He drove you to Palermo?

4 hours ago, Lazz said:

Taormina is the place to go.  Palermo is far away and not as nice as the eastern region of Sicily

• Like 1

The upcoming Beyond Italy/Turkey/Greece July 17th cruise was moved from Messina to Palermo. Many of the Celebrity med cruises this summer had their ports moved from Messina to elsewhere in Sicily due to "port overcrowding" in Messina.

EDIT: Palermo is too far from Messina for a port day trip.

Edited by soniam

On 6/16/2023 at 2:01 PM, Lazz said:

How important is this to you?  If very important maybe consider a separate trip there for a couple of days before or after your cruise?  

If you have enough time to do a 4-5 hours RT visit by car, look into a private tour. Tours By Locals is a good one and so is Viator.  If time is an issue I would recommend you visit Taormina and or Mt Etna.

It’s three hours from Messina to Palermo by train, it would be very tight but technically doable. The good news is the Messina Centrale train station is only about a ten minute walk from the port. If you think you can make it to the station by 07:55 the train will get you to Palermo just before 11:00.  You’d have to be back at the Palermo station by 14:30 to catch the train that will get you back to Messina at 17:38.  Personally, I wouldn’t risk it as any delay will mean you miss the ship but if you’re desperate….

Was in Sicily for two weeks last month. Have been 27 times so I do know the island well. Palermo is not worth the trip unless you port there.

Taormina is incredible but can be packed this time of year.

There is also Cefalu and Tindari on the north coast. Both could be done on a 8+ hour trip.

Near Cefalu is Santo Stefano di Camastra, a town dedicated to beautiful ceramic items. At very reasonable prices. 

There is also Milazzo that is only 15-20 minutes from Messina. Great boardwalk with many restaurants and some shopping. As well as an ancient fortress open to the public and Capo di Milazzo is the point of the peninsula that has amazing views and a small church built into the cliff side, Santo Antonino. There are a few "bars" there to get a bite to eat, a Gelato or a granita. 

Montalbano Elicona is a great Baroque town with a restored castle and spectacular views as it is on a hilltop. About an hour from Messina. The ride there is fun as well. 

Basically,  there is more to see and do within 60-90 minutes from the Messina port that puts Palermo to shame. While the city does have great street food and sights, including the Monreale cathedral just outside of the city and the Cappuccini catacombs in Palermo proper,  you can get the same things (minus the catacombs) much closer. 

Feel free to PM me for more info. I love the island dearly and will be retiring there in a few years. Sharing it with others gives me pure joy as it is a paradise that is very overlooked and extremely affordable. 

Edited by vwlmember
Added info

As someone else mentioned, we are on the Beyond in July and will now stop at Polermo instead of Messina.
Is anyone familiar with the terminal in Polermo? Will we be able to walk off the ship and walk in to Polermo to explore the city? What would you suggest we see in Polermo if we are walking and not doing an excursion?

• Like 1

As a frequent European traveler (sea and land) I am sometimes shocked to see threads with absurd topics.  We would suggest that anyone going to Europe with such questions (as Messina to Palermo) simply look at a map!  It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive (each way) between the two cities, and that assumes little traffic, no road construction, and no accidents.  I have actually driven the route (with a rental) car and it took just over 3 hours (one way) because of some construction.  I doubt if you will ever find a cruise that includes an excursion between Messina and Palermo.  It there was such an excursion it would likely be cancelled for lack of bookings!

My advice to the OP (and the answer to their question) is that if you want to see Palermo either book a cruise that actually stops in Palermo (a relatively common cruise port) or just fly to Italy and make your way to Palermo.  As to Palermo, it is not on our list of favorite places, but we will admit that a visit to the Capucin Catacombs is a real hoot.

Hank

We did a Tauck tour of Sicily that starts in Palermo. You spend three days before going to much more beautiful places. There is a very good hop on hop off double decker bus. The main stop was in front of our hotel (Hotel Wagner). It is insanity to even think of trying to travel there on a port day from Messina. Taormina is so lovely, go there. 

On 6/19/2023 at 7:12 PM, happyyaya said:

As someone else mentioned, we are on the Beyond in July and will now stop at Polermo instead of Messina.
Is anyone familiar with the terminal in Polermo? Will we be able to walk off the ship and walk in to Polermo to explore the city? What would you suggest we see in Polermo if we are walking and not doing an excursion?

I have heard it's very close and walkable to town. I looked it up on Google maps to confirm, unless there's another port that I didn't see. The opera house is supposed to be nice. La Rinascente department store has a top-floor terrace food court that has great views and a mozzarella bar. I always find great souvenirs, including snacks, at department stores in Europe. Here are some other things I read about:

Palatine Chapel and Norman Palace

Palazzo Conte Federico

Il Ballaro market

Capuchin Crypt