Never seen so many unhappy people on RCCL Cruise - Anthem out of UK

10 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Odyssey is quantum class, correct?  Lots of indoor venues.  We have been on both  Quantum and Anthem out of NJ - Anthem many times.  Never have seen a problem with kids in solarium — possible because of the indoor family pool?  I am looking forward to Odyssey out of NJ — already booked.  Katherine 

Of course because of Indoor pool.

Last Thanksgiving about 1350 kids were on board.. Of course some number of them were 16+ so they can be in Solarium... but still many kids under 16. In Quantum and Anthem they would be in Indoor pool.. We should see what happens on Odyssey.

Also as there won't be a roof over family pool towel station will be colder place...

10 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Odyssey is quantum class, correct?  Lots of indoor venues.  We have been on both  Quantum and Anthem out of NJ - Anthem many times.  Never have seen a problem with kids in solarium — possible because of the indoor family pool?  I am looking forward to Odyssey out of NJ — already booked.  Katherine 

Of course because of Indoor pool.

Last Thanksgiving about 1350 kids were on board.. Of course some number of them were 16+ so they can be in Solarium... but still many kids under 16. In Quantum and Anthem they would be in Indoor pool.. We should see what happens on Odyssey.

Also as there won't be a roof over family pool towel station will be colder place...

We are also booked for Thanksgiving 2024 and January 2025 (11 days) 11 Days should be less problematic as most of kids will be in school... still less convenient.

Well — I am looking forward to a change in ships and have heard that Odyssey is very nice with a few different restaurants.  We really spend very little time in the solarium and can’t remember when I have been in a Royal pool or hot tube.  Again — time will tell.  Katherine 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

funny. It’s call cruisecritic isn’t it here?

not cruisefanboi.com

dont get upset just because my standards are higher than yours. We don’t all enjoy squeezy cheese. 

Oops, @Pandamonia.  Your name fits, as it embodies your style in most of your other posts I've seen here.  When I saw the title of this post and the author, I braced for the inevitable.  

Teddie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

I didnt go in the pool on Anthem. It was the floating child vomit and turds that somehow made it less than appealing. It spent half the time closed or drained it seemed to me. There is also nothing more relaxing than having a small child play in the hot tubs like like its bath time. 

But still because of indoor pool kids were not allowed into Solarium.

On our 9 times on Anthem all during colder times families were using pool.

I even love Thanksgiving in some ways more than January because more families are on the ship and less in Solarium. In January it is mostly couples so solarium becomes more crowded at times.

2 hours ago, teddie said:

Oops, @Pandamonia.  Your name fits, as it embodies your style in most of your other posts I've seen here.  When I saw the title of this post and the author, I braced for the inevitable.  

Teddie

And you (we) sure got it, didn't we... in spades! 😯

• Like 2

Down under we love the Quantum class ships,and Anthem would be welcome to join Ovation and Quantum. Have 70 nights up on Ovation,with a booking on Quantum next season. We have a name for the threads author in Australia, "Whinging Pom" 😫

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, beatleman said:

Down under we love the Quantum class ships,and Anthem would be welcome to join Ovation and Quantum. Have 70 nights up on Ovation,with a booking on Quantum next season. We have a name for the threads author in Australia, "Whinging Pom" 😫

We have a name for your cruises too...

The brawling bogan banquets. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

I didnt go in the pool on Anthem. It was the floating child vomit and turds that somehow made it less than appealing. It spent half the time closed or drained it seemed to me. There is also nothing more relaxing than having a small child play in the hot tubs like like its bath time. 

Which pool was this?

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Which pool was this?

the outdoor one twice and 2 hot tubs. 

I actually saw the projectile red vomit comet come out in to the main pool and a women swim right through it face first. 

On 6/18/2023 at 9:32 PM, taglovestocruise said:

I hear you always have wonderful warm weather in February, fire up the BBQ. 

I do BBQ in New Jersey in February but you need to put a bit of insulation around the barrel and beef-up the combustibles (wood and charcoal).

😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

the outdoor one twice and 2 hot tubs. 

I actually saw the projectile red vomit comet come out in to the main pool and a women swim right through it face first. 

Gross, obviously she had no clue that just happened.   

I've never seen that or floating turds on any RCL ship unfortunately it can happen anywhere land or sea. 

What's interesting in this thread.... we have to remind ourselves that the OP knew exactly what the cruise was before booking this trip again.  

The ship wasn't going to change shape and deal with the layout issues.  Pretty much everyone knows that the shows never change.  The cut backs have been really well documented here. The actual cost of the beverage package was known going in.  The people who cruise are the people, etc.

All of that was experienced before going on this trip, yet the OP chose to go on it again.

So who is really to blame for them having a bad time?  As far as I can tell, the cruise vacation pretty much met their actual expectations based on previous experiences.

With every additional post by the OP, I'm reminded of that.  Sucks for them, but they knew that going in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

What's interesting in this thread.... we have to remind ourselves that the OP knew exactly what the cruise was before booking this trip again.  

The ship wasn't going to change shape and deal with the layout issues.  Pretty much everyone knows that the shows never change.  The cut backs have been really well documented here. The actual cost of the beverage package was known going in.  The people who cruise are the people, etc.

All of that was experienced before going on this trip, yet the OP chose to go on it again.

So who is really to blame for them having a bad time?  As far as I can tell, the cruise vacation pretty much met their actual expectations based on previous experiences.

With every additional post by the OP, I'm reminded of that.  Sucks for them, but they knew that going in.

Exactly. I don't particularly wish to go on the same ship again and again either. Thankfully, there are quite a few ships in Europe right now. Just sail on a different one!

18 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

for thinking cheddar cheese on a menu shouldn’t come out of a bottle and in liquid form? I guess so then. 

Speeking of cheese when we were on anthem my dau ordered mac and cheese. When it arrived, she looked at it, tasted it and said no thanks not eating that. Her friend on the cruise also turned her nose up at it. The waiter asked why and she said the cheese is orange!!!  Head waiter came over and asked how its made in the uk. We explained grated chedder cheese from a block. Next day they must have got some and made my dau our version of mac and cheese. It was the right colour and super tasty. Fab staff to do that and very kind of them. So 10/10 for the staff and chefs responding to requests.

• Like 4

On 6/18/2023 at 8:56 AM, mjkacmom said:

If it makes you feel better, that’s how much drinks cost at my local bars and restaurants. We are 10 miles from NYC where the drink prices are triple ours. 

Are drinks really $45 in NYC?  Beers $25? If so, my goodness.  

32 minutes ago, topnole said:

Are drinks really $45 in NYC?  Beers $25? If so, my goodness.  

I bought a $17 beer and a $32 bourbon and Coke  (pre-tip) at the NBA finals game last week (not in NYC). Those prices were higher than normal for my area, but not by much. The high drink prices onboard are normal for me.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

1 minute ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I bought a $17 beer and a $32 bourbon and Coke  (pre-tip) at the NBA finals game last week (not in NYC). Those prices were higher than normal for my area, but not by much. The high drink prices onboard are normal for me.

At an NBA game, I could see 17 for a beer.  Where I live, a major pro game is definitely about double the normal local bar prices.  So those prices aren't

shocking. Maybe the $32 for a drink is a bit much.  Either way, if what the other poster said is true, a typical bar in NYC is charging $45 for a drink and $25-30 for a beer.  Now that to me is crazy high.  Haven’t been to a big North East city since Covid, but I will be soon so I guess I’ll see when I get there how bad it is.  I’ll certainly be going easy if it cost 30 per

beer.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Agree.

Anthem is better suited for colder weather sailing.

However IIRC roof of indoor pool is also can be opened

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines

I think Odyssey should work better for UK pax... even though it won't work perfectly for us during November - March. I will still be sailing... heck I sailed on Explorer in colder times.

38 minutes ago, topnole said:

At an NBA game, I could see 17 for a beer.  Where I live, a major pro game is definitely about double the normal local bar prices.  So those prices aren't

shocking. Maybe the $32 for a drink is a bit much.  Either way, if what the other poster said is true, a typical bar in NYC is charging $45 for a drink and $25-30 for a beer.  Now that to me is crazy high.  Haven’t been to a big North East city since Covid, but I will be soon so I guess I’ll see when I get there how bad it is.  I’ll certainly be going easy if it cost 30 per

beer.  

Spent this past Sunday (Father's Day) bouncing between 4 different bar/restaurant in lower Manhattan. Draft beer was anywhere from $9-$12 and specialty cocktails were usually $12-$18. Highest price I saw was $22 for a Black Ink Martini made with squid ink.

Beers at NY Ranger games are about $18. 24 oz Canned beer at NY Yankee games are about $16

15 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Spent this past Sunday (Father's Day) bouncing between 4 different bar/restaurant in lower Manhattan. Draft beer was anywhere from $9-$12 and specialty cocktails were usually $12-$18. Highest price I saw was $22 for a Black Ink Martini made with squid ink.

Beers at NY Ranger games are about $18. 24 oz Canned beer at NY Yankee games are about $16

Sounds like Royal Caribbean prices are a bargain! 🙂 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Ok.  I’ll chalk that up to exaggeration from the other poster.  Triple the price of Royal seemed a bit crazy.  Your experience seems more in line with what I would expect.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, beatleman said:

70 nights on Quantum and no complaints about the same production shows cruise after cruise? You certainly are not from the UK!😄