Slumber pod in interior room for baby?

We are cruising with our 17 month old in an interior room and I'm nervous about the sleeping situation. We will be using RC's pack n play but I'm afraid because of the close proximity to us that anytime we get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom or one of us leaves/enters the room while he is napping that he will wake up. He is used to sleeping in his own room. I will be bringing his sound machine to hopefully drown out some of the sound but am more concerned about him being able to see us and knowing we are right there. Has anyone used a slumber pod on a criuse? Its like a little tent that goes around the pack n play. Im not sure how the room will be laid out with the pack n play and if that will be too big. Ive also read about people hanging sheets from the ceiling around the crib but I think the slumber pod might work better for our needs? Also open to any suggestions, we would ideally like to be able to switch off at night staying in with the baby while the other goes out with our group but Im afraid that the second the door opens baby will wake up. 

Multiple thoughts: 

- On the positive side, your 17-month old is likely to go full-steam all day and be EXHAUSTED at the end of the day, so he may be easier than usual to put down to bed. 

- I looked up the Slumber Pod.  It looks like a pretty good idea, as it would provide a dark-dark area for the baby, though he'd still be able to hear you.  I also saw a "blackout cover" for a Pack-n-Play, which looked like basically the same thing. 

- Can the Slumber Pod be used without a Pack-n-Play?  I'm wondering if it'd be a more long-lasting purchase -- something you could use after the child's out of a Pack-n-Play?  

- When my kids were small, we used to bring a pop-up tent for them in a hotel room.  It gave them a small private space, and they loved it.  We never did this on a cruise.  

- Will the Pack-n-Play be a standard size?  If so, that's going to make an interior room very tight.  

- Could you try to get a connecting room (even though you wouldn't connect with the people on the other side)?  I say this because a connecting room would have a chair instead of a sofa, and that'd give you more floor space. 

- Alternately, maybe have the beds split into two twins against the wall with a walking aisle down the middle.  This would allow you to place the Pack-n-Play in the middle of the two beds.  You'd have to crawl into the twins from the foot.  

- I have seen pictures of rooms in which people hung shower curtains (using magnetic hooks?) to divide the bed from the rest of the room.  This + splitting the bed into twins could work.  

- If you do purchase this item, it'd be smart to have the baby nap and sleep in it for a while at home -- get him used to thinking "this is a place where I can sleep".  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

It varies by ship, but in some interior rooms we have been on there is a curtain that can divide the sitting area (where the pack and play would be) from the bed.  However, you would definitely have to walk by it to get to the rest room in the middle of the night.  The bed is usually at the back of the room facing towards the door you come in at.  I would recommend you bring a night light because it is very dark and I've almost stumbled over stuff in the middle of the night before.  

40 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

You might get better feedback if you provide the ship and cabin category.

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas, it is an interior room (2 person not 4)

9 minutes ago, LT4221 said:

Do you have a cabin number or did you book a guarantee? We will likely be able to find the layout if you have a cabin number or category.  Harmony will have a nightlight in the bathroom.

Edit:  Here is a video of two different types of interiors and two completely different configurations, so cabin number will help recommendations as you can see there is no way a packnplay fits between the split beds.

Edited by reallyitsmema

27 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Do you have a cabin number or did you book a guarantee? We will likely be able to find the layout if you have a cabin number or category.  Harmony will have a nightlight in the bathroom.

Edit:  Here is a video of two different types of interiors and two completely different configurations, so cabin number will help recommendations as you can see there is no way a packnplay fits between the split beds.

12675!

40 minutes ago, LT4221 said:

12675!

There are pictures of Symphony 12675 which will be like Harmony.  There are some of Oasis too but those will not be the same furnishings as Harmony.  I did find a video of 12271 on Harmony which will be the same category as your cabin.  It has a chair, no sofa and lots of floor space for the packnplay.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/category-detail.php?c=2328

Edit:  just scroll down and you will see the video for 12271.

Edited by reallyitsmema

1 hour ago, poocher said:

I’d forgo the pack n play.  Put the child in the bed & one adult sleep on the sofa.  That room is going to be very tight.

I agree it will be very tight.

We tried it with a slightly older toddler and ended up turning the sofa round to the wall and making that the bed for toddler. ( This wasn’t Harmony so I don’t know if this is even possible.)

How can an adult sleep on the sofa in a 2 person room?

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I agree it will be very tight.

We tried it with a slightly older toddler and ended up turning the sofa round to the wall and making that the bed for toddler. ( This wasn’t Harmony so I don’t know if this is even possible.)

How can an adult sleep on the sofa in a 2 person room?

Why couldn’t an adult sleep on the sofa?

12 minutes ago, poocher said:

Why couldn’t an adult sleep on the sofa?

It basically isn’t long or wide enough unless the adult is petite in stature. In our case it wasnt much longer than a pack n play. Of course size will vary with different cabins and class but unless it is designed as a sleep sofa which it won’t be in a 2- person room, it will be small.

3 hours ago, LT4221 said:

I did not think you could book 3 people into a room that only sleeps 2.. even if one was a child in a pack and play?

34 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

It basically isn’t long or wide enough unless the adult is petite in stature. In our case it wasnt much longer than a pack n play. Of course size will vary with different cabins and class but unless it is designed as a sleep sofa which it won’t be in a 2- person room, it will be small.

The one in our room on Harmony was a full size sofa and more than big enough to sleep on and I did so a few nights.  

Edited by poocher

28 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Maybe for a few hours, not my idea of a vacation!

An interior windowless room isn’t MY idea of vacation.  Frankly if OP knew there would be an issue with the baby sleeping, why book a small interior cabin?

• Like 1

The pack n play they give you is half the width of the regular ones. Depending on how big your DS is he might not even fit in it. When our DS was about that age he didn't really fit into it so we had to cocoon him on the sofa. Luckily we had a room with a pull out one.

We have always done the shower curtain from the ceiling thing and it has been fine. You get a little bit of room to walk by but you need to be very careful to not hit the pack and play. 

You'd also be able to just keep the royal king configuration and he can sleep between you in the bed. 

Would advise trying to bid up to a higher level room.

12 hours ago, poocher said:

An interior windowless room isn’t MY idea of vacation.  Frankly if OP knew there would be an issue with the baby sleeping, why book a small interior cabin?

$$$$$

• Like 2

Don’t be discouraged by what you read here.  Our DD and SIL slept with 2 babies in an inside cabin on Liberty and survived the week.  

Take your own pack n play.  Royal may or may not come through with one, it may or may not be in rough, dirty shape.  

We’ve used the thick cloth shower curtain hung with magnets trick.  It works.  The slumber pod may take up more room as it was tight to set up the pack and play.  The great thing about an inside cabin is a better nap during the day! 

27 minutes ago, gerif said:

$$$$$

Yes, you are right.  OP I was being harsh & judgy.  Please accept my apologies.  Looking at the videos above, if you get the room with the bed by the door, it might be easier to “curtain” off the pack n play and he/she would be further away from any nocturnal comings & goings.