Last minute questions from newbie

Packman1000

We sail in a week on our first Viking ocean cruise, though we have been on many other lines.  I have tried to ask Viking customer service these questions but I wasn't too sure of the answers I got so I'll ask the experts here.

1. Is there bar soap in the bathrooms?  I don't like the shower gel stuff so I need to know if I should pack some. 

2. I know Viking has umbrellas on board, but do they have enough for every passenger?   CS said they do, but 900 umbrellas is a lot!

3. I think I know the clothing rules for the evening dining rooms, but just the "no" stuff - no jeans, no bb hats, no shorts, no tee shirts.  So is just a short sleeve collared shirt and long trousers acceptable?   And are all the dining venues (except the WC) the same in the evening? 

Thanks for your help. 

• Like 1

1. Yes.  The bathrooms have bar soap at both the sink and in the shower.

2.  On our last cruise, there were 2 umbrellas supplied in the cabin.  So, I believe there is probably one for every passenger.

3.  Yes, a short sleeve collared shirt and long pants are acceptable in the restaurants in the evening.  The World Cafe is much more casual.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

We sail in a week on our first Viking ocean cruise, though we have been on many other lines.  I have tried to ask Viking customer service these questions but I wasn't too sure of the answers I got so I'll ask the experts here.

1. Is there bar soap in the bathrooms?  I don't like the shower gel stuff so I need to know if I should pack some. 

2. I know Viking has umbrellas on board, but do they have enough for every passenger?   CS said they do, but 900 umbrellas is a lot!

3. I think I know the clothing rules for the evening dining rooms, but just the "no" stuff - no jeans, no bb hats, no shorts, no tee shirts.  So is just a short sleeve collared shirt and long trousers acceptable?   And are all the dining venues (except the WC) the same in the evening? 

Thanks for your help. 

1. Yes

2. they have an umbrella in each stateroom and a bunch on the gangway. They can run out but not too often. But they are huge and a pain to carry. I’d go with a small folding one.

3. Yes that is fine. Yes all venues same except World z cafe where shorts are allowed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

And are all the dining venues (except the WC) the same in the evening? 

are you asking about the dress code or the menu?

The Restaurant, Chefs Table and Manfredis are under dress code, the other Wc and the smaller pool grill and Mamsens informal as you gathered.  Enjoy your adventure

13 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Add to the no list sandals at dinner, except WC.

I think that’s just for men.  I wore dress sandals to dinner many times and many other women did too.  I could post pictures of my sandals and my husband’s and the difference would be clear!

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

Thanks for your help. 

1. Yes. Nice larger bars of soap.  We always ask for extra so we have one in the shower and one at the sink,

2. Yes umbrellas for everyone. But they are like golf umbrellas. Very unwieldy.  We always bring are very small compact umbrellas.  Easier to deal with,

3.  I wear a nice small logo golf shirt and nice slacks to Manfredis, CT, and MDR.  No baseball hats please.  Saw a lot of those on people - looks like they just got off the golf course!

enjoy your trip! Expect the unexpected and roll with it!

• Like 2

Thank you all for the info.  Viking told me no bar soap, even though we had some on our river cruise last year.  And they didn't say the umbrellas were in the staterooms,  which makes sense as I couldn't imagine 900 umbrellas at the departure door (where I found them on our river cruise).  My DW liked the info about sandals.  I think we're ready to go!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

I think we're ready to go!

Enjoy your first Viking Ocean cruise sounds like you are all set.  Hope you have a sea day or two to really explore all the nooks and various public spaces on the ship too. 

Bon voyage 🛥️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Packman1000 said:

Thank you all for the info.  Viking told me no bar soap, even though we had some on our river cruise last year.  And they didn't say the umbrellas were in the staterooms,  which makes sense as I couldn't imagine 900 umbrellas at the departure door (where I found them on our river cruise).  My DW liked the info about sandals.  I think we're ready to go!

Don't believe Viking.  We've been on 12 Ocean Cruises.  Just got off one a couple days ago.  The bathrooms come with bar soap.  The staterooms come with umbrellas.  (in the closets).  Ocean is different than River.

Yes, definitely enjoy!  And explore all the great little nooks and places to go on the ship itself!  You can be as social and engaging with crowds as you wish, or you can find quiet space somewhere - or both - or anything!  That's what we like the most - never feel crowded.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Packman1000 said:

If you don't see bar soap in your bathroom ask your room steward.  If you want more hangers, ask.  If you want 2 water carafs ask.  Ice?  Ask.  A top sheet?  Ask.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

If you don't see bar soap in your bathroom ask your room steward.  If you want more hangers, ask.  If you want 2 water carafs ask.  Ice?  Ask.  A top sheet?  Ask.  

A top sheet isn’t standard?

2 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

A top sheet isn’t standard?

The beds have duvets, no top sheets. (I think this is more typical in Europe, though it’s also what we do in our house.) The duvet cover gets washed with the sheets. 

I should add this was on our cooler-weather cruises. Haven’t been on a warm-weather Viking cruise, so I don’t know if they differ. 

As mentioned above, if you want a top sheet, just ask. Ditto for a mattress topper if you find the bed too hard.

3 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

The beds have duvets, no top sheets. (I think this is more typical in Europe, though it’s also what we do in our house.) The duvet cover gets washed with the sheets. 

I should add this was on our cooler-weather cruises. Haven’t been on a warm-weather Viking cruise, so I don’t know if they differ. 

As mentioned above, if you want a top sheet, just ask. Ditto for a mattress topper if you find the bed too hard.

The duvet is really very pleasant and comfortable.  However, I have asked for those toppers, because I find the beds too hard, but have never gotten one.  

4 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

The duvet is really very pleasant and comfortable.  However, I have asked for those toppers, because I find the beds too hard, but have never gotten one.  

That’s a bummer. We found the beds too hard, too, but didn’t know about the toppers at the time. I was looking forward to getting one next time we sail. 

6 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

That’s a bummer. We found the beds too hard, too, but didn’t know about the toppers at the time. I was looking forward to getting one next time we sail. 

Well, I’m going to try harder next time.  My husband loves the Viking bed.  He thinks our pillow top at home is too soft.  Oh well, we’ve managed to be married a long time despite the differences.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Packing a couple of bars of favorite soap is a no brainer for me.  Don't like the soaps supplied in any of the cruises or hotels.   We also pack our own very compact personal umbrellas.   None of these take up much room, IMHO.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Twitchly said:

We had to ask for top sheet in the Arctic and the Amazon.  Sometimes one of us likes to throw off the duvet and have only a top sheet.

• Like 4

Another newbie here and many thanks to all who have responded as I will be boarding the Sky this Friday.  Very excited but still working out my packing list. 

I realize Packman1000 started this thread with questions for men but wanted to ask a quick question for me...as far as dinners go, do I even need to pack a dress for Chef's Table and Manfredi's or are dress pants acceptable?   Thanks for letting me crash this thread.  Newbies need all the help they can get....😉

Edited by cadburysmom
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, deec said:

no need for a dress!

Agreed.  I pack one if we have a special occasion, but otherwise I pack black dress pants, and/or white depending on the time of year and climate, and many dressy tops to go with them.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, deec said:

no need for a dress!

5 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Agreed.  I pack one if we have a special occasion, but otherwise I pack black dress pants, and/or white depending on the time of year and climate, and many dressy tops to go with them.  

Excellent news...and many thanks to you both. 😊

Once less thing to pack is always a good thing.

• Like 1