Maybe dumb question...

georgiaguy

I feel like I should be able to figure this out but I can't for the life of me. What does the diamond symbol mean? For reference, this is from Celebrity's website and the ship is the Ascent. 

image.thumb.png.1a9b2cc33148446268a339522bad9b81.png

I don't think the lifeboats go that far back to where the non-diamonded cabins are.

But keep in mind the "obstruction" may be as little as 10% - could be more, but not necessarily. Also depends on how you define "obstruction". For me, it's obstructed if it blocks me seeing straight out to the horizon. That is where the view is for me. But for others their desired view seems to be straight down since for them having a lifeboat under their veranda (infinite or otherwise) ruins their view.

I don’t think they are lifeboat obstructions as those diamonds appear on some (but not all) of the far forward and far aft porthole verandas on multiple decks as well as a few panoramic ocean view cabins.  Interestingly those symbols only show up in the Beyond and Ascent (not the Apex or the Edge).

If you go to the deck plans and enter one of the yellow stateroom #'s with the diamond the pop up shows it is a single stateroom with infinite veranda and an obstructed view.  If you enter one of the stateroom numbers without the diamond, same description but no mention of an obstructed view.  Compare 6144 to 6148 on Ascent and you'll see what I mean. I think it is the lifeboats.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

39 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

I was thinking obstruction as well but then I would think more of deck 6 would be obstructed. But maybe I am wrong. 

Screenshot 2023-06-29 135315.png

Look at an image of the exterior of the ship. On the magic carpet side there are 3 lifeboats forward of the MC and 3 aft.  They correspond to the obstructed view cabins marked with the diamond.

So why deck seven and eight in some but not all of the porthole verandas? Not saying you are wrong but these are the thing are the things making it a question for me. Also why is it not listed on the symbol key?? lol (I clearly need a vacation...)

3 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

Next dumb question. Does that mean the couch? Cause what is an l shaped bed?

No clue, but I just got off a Virgin cruise and they can turn the king bed into a upside down L-shape for "separate" beds or a single and a "couch"   It's a bad set up because someone has feet in their face if its separated for sleeping.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

So why deck seven and eight in some but not all of the porthole verandas? Not saying you are wrong but these are the thing are the things making it a question for me. Also why is it not listed on the symbol key?? lol (I clearly need a vacation...)

Yes you do. No idea why it isn't listed on the symbol key. Go to the web site, put in a sample of cabins in the find me cabin box and read the description. You could even create a spread sheet to share the next time the question comes up.😀

23 hours ago, Octavias said:

Could those be the infinite verandas?  Totally guessing here….

No - because there are a lot more IVs than have the diamond. And there are some non-IVs that DO have the diamond. Looking at what I know from past experience - and from studying the chart - which I wish i could find the link to - with obstructions, I'm pretty sure it means there is some percentage of obstruction.

ETA: Found it! https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View.pdf

22 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

Next dumb question. Does that mean the couch? Cause what is an l shaped bed?

Not in a solo IV. Only one person is allowed to book that, so there's no need for a couch to convert.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Looking at what I know from past experience - and from studying the chart - which I wish i could find the link to - with obstructions, I'm pretty sure it means there is some percentage of obstruction.

ETA: Found it! https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View.pdf

The diamond doesn't show up on deck plans for the Edge and Apex (which is what your link references).  It only shows up on the Beyond and Ascent deck plans.  And the diamond isn't on all the cabins I expect have an obstruction which is puzzling to me.  For example the porthole veranda cabins on deck 7 - in some cases a single cabin will have the diamond with the ones around it not having the diamond.  And on deck 6, the only infinite verandas with the symbol are the solo cabins.  There are more lifeboats than just those two small sections of cabins on each side.

9 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The diamond doesn't show up on deck plans for the Edge and Apex (which is what your link references).  It only shows up on the Beyond and Ascent deck plans.  And the diamond isn't on all the cabins I expect have an obstruction which is puzzling to me.  For example the porthole veranda cabins on deck 7 - in some cases a single cabin will have the diamond with the ones around it not having the diamond.  And on deck 6, the only infinite verandas with the symbol are the solo cabins.  There are more lifeboats than just those two small sections of cabins on each side.

Well, what I do know is looking at those which are solos on Deck 6, 6137 and 6139 - which don't have diamonds - are not on the list and don't have the lifeboat attachments in front of all or part of the IV. The solo IVs that do have it have a percentage of the lifeboat attachments in front of some of the window.

I've not seen cruiselines consider a lifeboat directly under a cabin to be an obstruction because your view OUT is still uninterrupted by it.

Are we surprised that the website isn't fully informational? They should add what that symbol means - and then add it to the ones that don't have it yet have cabins that would qualify for it.

28 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

I did actually. It is referring to obstructed views.

I believe you are correct.  An obstructed view may be a lifeboat directed under a room and window washing equipment.  

We had stayed in a room on the 7th floor which was labelled as being obstructed.  If you were to look out towards the horizon, there was no obstruction.  However, if you looked slightly down, your view was affected.  It did not both us at all but was considered an obstruction.