What's the 1st week of February like?

KarenRB

I've only ever cruised from October thru December.  Now that I'm semi-retired, I'm looking at cruises at other times of the year.  There's an 8 night Reflection cruise the first week of February I'm interested in.  Would this fall within the spring break, lots of kids time frame?

The first week of February isn't a typical school holiday time in Canada or the U.S. 

Schools in both countries will break around the third week of February - maybe for a week, maybe for a long weekend.

Spring break doesn't start until March. It doesn't necessarily coincide with Easter. Looks like March 11 is a popular week in 2024. 

We purposely cruise during the first week or two of February to avoid the kids/family crowd. Never had an issue. It's too soon after holiday breaks and too early for spring break for most. 

1 minute ago, mrgabriel said:

The first week of February isn't a typical school holiday time in Canada or the U.S. 

Schools in both countries will break around the third week of February - maybe for a week, maybe for a long weekend.

Spring break doesn't start until March. It doesn't necessarily coincide with Easter. Looks like March 11 is a popular week in 2024. 

I was on Apex the third week of February this year. It was swamped with many, many kids bc of Presidents Day. I was also told there’s a Canadian holiday about the same time. There were so many kids I wondered if they traveled free. Not pleasant but I think X is encouraging this.

Just now, natshala said:

I was on Apex the third week of February this year. It was swamped with many, many kids bc of Presidents Day. I was also told there’s a Canadian holiday about the same time. There were so many kids I wondered if they traveled free. Not pleasant but I think X is encouraging this.

Yes - Canadian provinces have a holiday on the same day as Presidents Day - there are various names. In several provinces, it's called Family Day and people are encouraged to do something with their families - lol - so cruises, I guess? Some schools close for an extra day, others close for a week. Depends on the school district. And trust me - Canadians are happy to go to the Caribbean in the middle of February! 

22 minutes ago, KarenRB said:

I've only ever cruised from October thru December.  Now that I'm semi-retired, I'm looking at cruises at other times of the year.  There's an 8 night Reflection cruise the first week of February I'm interested in.  Would this fall within the spring break, lots of kids time frame?

Thank you for asking. I’m already booked on this particular cruise and didn’t think it would be an issue. I am a bit worried about the 8 night Reflection cruise that departs just after Thanksgiving here in the US.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

4 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Thank you for asking. I’m already booked on this particular cruise and didn’t think it would be an issue. I am a bit worried about the 8 night Reflection cruise that departs just after Thanksgiving here in the US.

After Thanksgiving? Not an issue. That's really low time for holidays for most. Especially people with kids. 

• Like 2

Just now, paulh84 said:

After Thanksgiving? Not an issue. That's really low time for holidays for most. Especially people with kids. 

Thanks! I was hoping the fact that it was 8 days would discourage families. Nothing against families, just hoping to avoid craziness. 

5 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Shortly before the pandemic, we did a RCCL cruise (on an Oasis class ship) that departed the Sunday after Thanksgiving and there were only a couple dozen children on the entire ship.  We have done Celebrity cruises the first and second week of December and rarely see any kids.  So as long as you avoid the actual week of Thanksgiving, I wouldn't worry about the ship being overrun with children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

The week after Thanksgiving is when we've traditionally cruised.  Not only were there a lot fewer kids, the prices were usually lower and the ships weren't sailing full.  This was all pre-Covid though so things may be a bit different now.

1 hour ago, KarenRB said:

We typically cruise during February on Celebrity.  There are children but very few.  Don't worry. But the story is different on RC and the Fun Ships.

6 minutes ago, keesar said:

We typically cruise during February on Celebrity.  There are children but very few.  Don't worry. But the story is different on RC and the Fun Ships.

I break out in a rash even thinking about being on an RCCL "fun" ship.  What they did to Coco Cay breaks my heart

1 hour ago, natshala said:

We were on the Edge January 28th 1 week.  Saw a couple little ones but I think that was it for kids. 

We are on the Reflection the first week in February 2024.  It's a beautiful ship and February is an ideal time to cruise the Caribbean!  Very few children on board at that time of year.  The majority of those who do cruise Celebrity are very well-behaved.   We love Celebrity! 

1 hour ago, KarenRB said:

I break out in a rash even thinking about being on an RCCL "fun" ship.  What they did to Coco Cay breaks my heart

I remember going there (when we could tender due to calm seas) and the place was just beautiful.  It felt like we had the whole island to ourselves.  I recall the bar out in the water and how quiet it was.  Now it may be like one of those water parks in Orlando.

3 hours ago, KarenRB said:

We took an 02/02/02 cruise (Southern Caribbean on the brand new Infinity) and there were very few kids on board. Like 20. I remember some of the families were from Australia.

Full Disclosure: we brought our then 10 year old daughter and 7 year old son with us.  We pulled our kids out of school to do it.  Spring break here in the USA is a March/April thing. 

Edited by mahdnc

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We took an 02/02/02 cruise (Southern Caribbean on the brand new Infinity) and there were very few kids on board. Like 20. I remember some of the families were from Australia. Disclosure: we brought our then 10 year old daughter and 7 year old son with us. 

Thanks everyone for the info.  I actually like little kids, worked as a Pediatric Critical Care nurse for two years, just don't want to be on a ship with a large amount of free-roaming teenagers or drunk college idiots.  Sounds like early February will be fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KarenRB said:

drunk college idiots.  Sounds like early February will be fine.

Colleges and universities generally have more a "rolling Spring Break" where from early Feb through late March, there is almost always some college(s) and or university/ies on "Spring" Break,

In Massachusetts there is a winter break in February but it typically is the third week in February.  Spring break week is usually around Patriots Day in the month of April.

We have cruised several times during the first week of February (Husband's birthday) and it has never been crowded.  The weather in the Caribbean is lovely. We are actually looking at the same cruise.  

Karen

I would answer differently depending on how it was pre-Covid and how it is now.  Used to be at that time very few children.  However, this past year we cruised in January and February into early March on several ships, and I could not believe the amount of children, including many of school age,  onboard regardless of whether school was in session or not.  Are their parents just taking them out of school?  Are they homeschooling them from the ship?  I honestly was very surprised.  The most we saw was on Apex, which at 7 nights was a couple nights shorter than our other cruises.  I think the newer ships are attracting more young people with kids as management hopes they are.  Don't get me wrong, it's not like there were tons of kids - just way more than I am used to having sailed that time of year for 30ish years.  And this is not a judgement - just an observation.  

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 4:11 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Are their parents just taking them out of school?  Are they homeschooling them

Yes. And yes. The amount of people homeschooling has increased pretty steeply - as have internet programs where the parents aren't really actually doing anything but paying for the program but the kids do those at home...or wherever they are. And then there are parents who just don't care and pull their kids out whenever.

Plus there are school systems on a year-round calendar where some are out at any given time.