Koningsdam MDR

mcrcruiser

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Someone is not going to know that when first getting onboard.  I almost always go to the lido at lunch when it first opens because it’s less crowded.  It just gets more crowded after that.  Maybe if you go at 2 pm it’s not crowded. 

On embarkation day isn't the MDR open for lunch as well ; which would relieve the pressure on the Lido buffet 

16 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

On embarkation day isn't the MDR open for lunch as well ; which would relieve the pressure on the Lido buffet 

"Usually" it is, but only from 12pm to 1pm in my experience.

~Nancy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Yes the MDR was open on embarkation day June 3 at noon but only for an hour if memory serves me correctly.  For some unknown reason,  I've found on every ship/line I've cruised on...people go to the Lido on the first day like they haven't eaten in a week, even with other venues open.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, nw gardener said:

Yes the MDR was open on embarkation day June 3 at noon but only for an hour if memory serves me correctly.  For some unknown reason,  I've found on every ship/line I've cruised on...people go to the Lido on the first day like they haven't eaten in a week, even with other venues open.

And that is OK. It's simply personal preference. 

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Yes, I’ve done many, many cruises on hal.  I know the drill.  I’m speaking of when the mdr isn’t open.  I’m not a person who enjoys cafeteria eating.

7 hours ago, nw gardener said:

The thing that amazes is the some go to the cafeteria then complain how busy it is when they have other choices.  Why cafeteria eating is a preference blows me away.  I really don’t need to hear why it is either.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks.

This one seems to be plaguing Koningsdam for quite some time (Nov & Dec when we experienced it as reported by others on that same sailing), so it will interesting to see what passengers report over the next couple weeks.

Holiday sailings with more passengers on board, perhaps?  

Where was Kdam sailing then versus where other ships were?  Was it offering shorter cruises (often = more pax on board)?

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Holiday sailings with more passengers on board, perhaps?  

Where was Kdam sailing then versus where other ships were?  Was it offering shorter cruises (often = more pax on board)?

My sailing was Nov 26 - Dec 10 Mexican Riviera. Both weeks sold out, but so were both weeks Feb 5-19 2023 Nieuw Amsterdam Caribbean, Oct 2-8 Nieuw Statendam Canada New England and April 29-May 6 Eurodam Alaska, none of which had anywhere near the wait times as K'dam Nov/Dec.

Not disagreeing all the things you mention impact wait times, but it's just odd that the wait times/lines for MDR were exceptionally and  unusually long on K'dam. They were around the corner, down the hall, past the bar, out of pager range long. The other sailings I listed, while not holidays, were generally more popular: Feb was Valentine's, May was opening week of Alaska season and Oct was Fall Leaf Peeping.

I just think something's out of sync on Koningsdam, but sounds like maybe it's been resolved or getting better.

23 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Ok so did HAL correct the long wait lines for any time dining during May & Hune in  Alaska ?

Yes!  We just sailed on Koningsdam in mid to late June an had no issues at all.  A 5-10 minute wait the 1st night and then seated immediately the rest of the cruise.  We tried booking a reservation the first night, and only very late times were available, but we were told that half the seating was now being saved for walk ins and that we shouldn't have a problem doing that.  They were right.

We showed up between 5:45-6:00 p.m. for dinner each night if the timing makes a difference.  There may have been waits at other times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Konigsdam - Dec 2023 Holiday cruises - family special rates, domestic easily-accessed California port - 7 day cruise. Families with 4-6, or more members wanting a larger table together. 

Wonder how the demographics were on the other Pinnacle ships who apparently did not have the back-ups during the same holiday time periods. 

The worst early dining room back ups were during the Christmas week - lots of families, younger passengers. The mood shifted more on next the New years week - more older couples, fewer large family groups.  But still a holiday and family crowd impact was definitely felt, not typically found on other times of the year. Though we rarely cruise during the middle of the summer when school is out.

32 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Konigsdam - Dec 2023 Holiday cruises - family special rates, domestic easily-accessed California port - 7 day cruise. Families with 4-6, or more members wanting a larger table together. 

Wonder how the demographics were on the other Pinnacle ships who apparently did not have the back-ups during the same holiday time periods. 

The worst early dining room back ups were during the Christmas week - lots of families, younger passengers. The mood shifted more on next the New years week - more older couples, fewer large family groups.  But still a holiday and family crowd impact was definitely felt, not typically found on other times of the year. Though we rarely cruise during the middle of the summer when school is out.

If you look at the deck plans, there are a lot of triple and quad cabins. K'dam's double occupancy is 2650. Max occupancy is 3194 (according the data on cruisemapper, which was the only place I could find the max without counting all those little squares and circles on the deck plans). That's an extra 21%, which has to affect dining and also crowding around the ship. Eurodam's max is an extra 20%, and the Vistas only 15%. 

So when they have the "kids sail free" or "third and fourth passengers sail free," it's no wonder serving gets backed up. 

• Like 3