I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

On 8/18/2023 at 12:23 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

both my husband and I both work from home and would never accept a job that didn't have work from home. However, some people really don't like working from home and that is fine too. To say that people who are sitting at home working have very poor work ethic is just wild. Also, I work almost every day in whatever I want, and I work just as hard if not harder than those wearing suits in offices every day. Also, what employee doesn't want their phone with them at work? When I was in HS, I ALWAYS had my phone with me at work and that was 20 years ago. Some of it is just a safety thing. Just remember that your experience + your family's experiences with people working is a tiny percent of what is actually going on. 🙄 But you've already made up your mind with the "younger people" and "no one wants to work anymore" narrative. 

Me too.. I don't know how "young" I am, but I would no longer accept a position that is not remote. I work far more than anyone would get out of me in a hospital or office. WFH does not equal less of a work ethic... except to those who would generalize. 

On 8/18/2023 at 12:54 PM, RedIguana said:

Not willing to work under the pay and conditions offered is not poor work ethic. It usually means the pay and work conditions suck. I suspect a lot of those who feel "no one wants to work anymore" is really someone who "no one wants to work for".

Right... conditions are not just about pay. 

7 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Honestly, this response is exactly what I was expecting from you and really proving my comment about how you passive-aggressively insult people. And if I am wrong about that, at the very least you are unkind and not very thoughtful to other people's feelings. Thank you for calling me ignorant AND me and my husband liars. Why would I LIE about my husband not being allowed a CD player? And I never said people couldn't be happy in certain jobs, just that my husband wasn't happy and that is no way to live life. NOR did I say that his past job wasn't important. Being entertained and not being happy are two different things. So now he has a job that is working from home and he IS happy, but people constantly think he's lazy or something because he works from home. 

Anyhow, waste of my time posting here. Have a good day. 

You are definitely not wrong about that.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:22 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

what if your kid has an emergency and they don't know your work phone? There are countless other situations like this, but honestly just because we used to live without cellphones doesn't mean that they aren't a necessity today. Times change. 

In case of an emergency they can get in touch with the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Thanks for the room video.  That bunk space is waaay bigger than I thought it would be.  Very nice room with lots of space.

I think you meant to post this on Dani's thread. 🤷‍♀️

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Just off of Navigator and I was very interested to see how disappointed I was with 1x a day room servicing. My concern was that I was cruising with myself and 3 grand kids in an Ultimate OV cabin.  It is designed for families.  It has a small little room with bunks and my intention was for the girls to be in there and I in the little bedroom and my Grandson on the sofa.  My concern was the sofa.  With one cleaning I was worried the our Cabin Attendant would want it out all day long.  Thankfully, he did one service before lunch and then came back while we were at dinner and set up the sofa bed.  There was no service done to the room in the evening beyond that but at least we weren't tripping over the bed during the day.  

So to answer the question originally asked... I didn't miss the 2x a day service as much I thought I would.  Our attendant loaded us with towels at the morning service so we had fresh towels both that afternoon and in the morning. We got a towel animal everyday except embaraktion

I was pleasantly surprised.  

In the interest of full disclosure... We keep autograts on plus I slipped him $30 on embarkation and then $40 on the last afternoon. This was a 4 day cruise with 4 of us in the cabin.  I'm not sure if the tipping got me any more service or not.

If anyone is interested to see the room makeup I have included the video below.  It was taken on day 2 after the room had been serviced but before the kids had come back to the room.

I'm surprised a room that big has such a small (i.e., standard-sized) bathroom.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Me too.. I don't know how "young" I am, but I would no longer accept a position that is not remote. I work far more than anyone would get out of me in a hospital or office. WFH does not equal less of a work ethic... except to those who would generalize. 

Me, too.   I think part of it is that I just hate to drive.   Well, driving isn't really the problem, I hate commuting.   So, I'd really rather work than commute.  And I often work Sat and Sun mornings until the family wakes up.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

In case of an emergency they can get in touch with the ship.

I think you are confused, I was referencing someone needing access to their personal cellphone at work, not on the ship. 

Anyhow, back to the topic of 2x a day...I have done 3-4 cruises so far since it has been just once a day and my room stewards have been great! Perhaps even better than they were before. I just tell them what I would like at the beginning of the week and they make it happen. And while I normally tip a little extra at the end of the cruise, I don't tip them right away for these little requests, so I don't feel like it is a bribe, just good service (You can tip extra if and however you want, I feel like they will do simple requests for you without a tip though) For example, I never have enough washcloths and prefer to have my room cleaned in the evening if possible, and whenever I communicate this at the beginning of the cruise, I always have AT LEAST 10 washcloths in my room daily (which is a bit overkill but it is super nice to have them on hand) and the steward always cleans in the evening. I think going forward, especially people with kids, will need to communicate what their daily needs are at the beginning so the room steward can try to do that within the confines of 1x day cleaning.

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

No, I don’t participate on Dani’s thread.

Sorry I thought you did. Maybe I thought you were replying to Tree Skier, maybe Bella’s thread? Maybe I'm just totally confused? That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 🤣 🥂

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Sorry I thought you did. Maybe I thought you were replying to Tree Skier, maybe Bella’s thread? Maybe I'm just totally confused? That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 🤣 🥂

Yes.  The post was responding to @Tree_skier’s video I post 525.  I should have referenced it.  Sorry to confuse.

38 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I just tell them what I would like at the beginning of the week and they make it happen... prefer to have my room cleaned in the evening if possible, 

Were you specific with your request, as in "5:30 because we will be at dinner"?

13 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm surprised a room that big has such a small (i.e., standard-sized) bathroom.

I'm sure that that is the reason for for why they have never made it part of the suites program.  Outside of the bathroom it has a suite feel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VegasVic14 said:

Were you specific with your request, as in "5:30 because we will be at dinner"?

Yes, I asked my steward twice (on two different sailings) if it would be possible to have my room cleaned around 5pm when we were at dinner and she was like "Of course!" I also told her if too many people were requesting that time, we could just work out another agreed-upon time that I would know to be out of my room so she could clean but she was like "oh over dinnertime is perfect"  It was always done whenever we came back after dinner. 

I just try to think about what I would like if I were a room steward and they have a lot of juggling to do, cleaning rooms whenever someone happens to be out of the room...so I feel like they would welcome sort of having a set time agreed upon to clean the room every day when they know you will most likely be out of the room. 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Yes, I asked my steward twice (on two different sailings) if it would be possible to have my room cleaned around 5pm when we were at dinner and she was like "Of course!" I also told her if too many people were requesting that time, we could just work out another agreed-upon time that I would know to be out of my room so she could clean but she was like "oh over dinnertime is perfect"  It was always done whenever we came back after dinner. 

Thanks for the quick reply and for getting this thread back on the rails. I hope we get a steward as good as you had. (Cruising next June on our first B2B.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 12:22 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

what if your kid has an emergency and they don't know your work phone? 

Any kid old enough to have a cell phone should know (or have written in his wallet, bookbag, whatever) ALL his parents' numbers.  

On 8/19/2023 at 4:41 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

There are also jobs where there should be limited, if not no, outside distractions.  

Yes, my husband is a retired Nuclear Engineer. 

When he was on site at a nuclear plant, he could have a phone but not a phone with a camera (try finding one of those today!).  He used to keep a second, old phone just for this purpose.  He also brought in a small cooler with several drinks and plenty of food on those days -- leaving for lunch (or even just to go out to his car) "cost him" 20-30 minutes of going through security.  Jobs vary.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Any kid old enough to have a cell phone should know (or have written in his wallet, bookbag, whatever) ALL his parents' numbers.  

Yes, my husband is a retired Nuclear Engineer. 

When he was on site at a nuclear plant, he could have a phone but not a phone with a camera (try finding one of those today!).  He used to keep a second, old phone just for this purpose.  He also brought in a small cooler with several drinks and plenty of food on those days -- leaving for lunch (or even just to go out to his car) "cost him" 20-30 minutes of going through security.  Jobs vary.  

Lol my husband doesn’t know any of our kids’ numbers, I’m the only one in our family of 7 who knows everyone’s phone numbers. Our kids knew ours before having phones, but I doubt they still remember.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VegasVic14 said:

Thanks for the quick reply and for getting this thread back on the rails. I hope we get a steward as good as you had. (Cruising next June on our first B2B.)

I think as long as you don't have a huge list of requests, they will make it happen. I think the problem people are having is asking for the room steward to continually empty their trash can and replenish their towels and such throughout the day and stuff like that.

Yeah, that sort of thing is probably not going to happen, but you can ask for extra trash bags (and wait a day to have extra trash removed) and ask for extra towels (and wait a day to have those dirty towels removed). Being flexible and understanding is key. I mean, most hotels I've been to now only have housekeeping come in once per stay, if at all and everything has to be done by calling housekeeping (which is fine)

On my last cruise, my room steward overheard me tell my friend that the beds were hard, and after turndown service, she told me she put a comforter under the fitted sheets to make it softer for us since she didn't have access to foam padding. How nice is that?!?! I mean, it didn't help a ton but it was SO thoughtful. I've never had a bad room steward though, maybe I am just lucky. I think most of them do whatever they can within their very limited resources to make us all have a comfortable vacation. 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I think as long as you don't have a huge list of requests, they will make it happen. I think the problem people are having is asking for the room steward to continually empty their trash can and replenish their towels and such throughout the day and stuff like that.

Yeah, that sort of thing is probably not going to happen, but you can ask for extra trash bags (and wait a day to have extra trash removed) and ask for extra towels (and wait a day to have those dirty towels removed). Being flexible and understanding is key. I mean, most hotels I've been to now only have housekeeping come in once per stay, if at all and everything has to be done by calling housekeeping (which is fine)

On my last cruise, my room steward overheard me tell my friend that the beds were hard, and after turndown service, she told me she put a comforter under the fitted sheets to make it softer for us since she didn't have access to foam padding. How nice is that?!?! I mean, it didn't help a ton but it was SO thoughtful. I've never had a bad room steward though, maybe I am just lucky. I think most of them do whatever they can within their very limited resources to make us all have a comfortable vacation. 

I'm like you... I've never had a bad room steward on Royal. They all go out of there way to accommodate as much as is possible.  

• Like 5

On 8/27/2023 at 12:29 PM, mjkacmom said:

Lol my husband doesn’t know any of our kids’ numbers, I’m the only one in our family of 7 who knows everyone’s phone numbers. Our kids knew ours before having phones, but I doubt they still remember.

Have your husband install a Contacts app to keep track of phone numbers. No need to memorize any at all.

• 4 months later...

Popping this back to the top to relate our experience with this on our first cruise since the change. 

Met the steward first day and told him we'd like our service while we are at dinner. Was told nope, Service times for evening are 5-8. We had late dinner, so no go. Told him then I really don't know what time would be good, so we'll have to play it by ear. We had 4 people in the cabin with different sleep and getting ready schedules, so no times really worked out every day. Even the days we were off the ship all day in port, we didn't get cleanings because, by the time he came by, we were back on the ship. We ended up with two cleanings on an 8 day cruise. They were just when we happened to not be in the room at the time he came by.

Not a big deal really. We don't care to reuse towels and don't need a spotless room, but it definitely gave it a different feel to the cruise. The main reason for my post is to give those who have the same idea we did about service during dinner to make alternate plans. 

• Like 1

So RCI does only service the cabins once a day. Hm. I would miss the turn down service also- always wonderful to come back after dinner in nicely done cabin. They can built ships twice the size of Icon - I never will return to RCI. My cruising days started with RCI- back then RCCI or RCL- I forogt which. LOL. Back in 1996- oh dear I just realised that it was almost 30 years ago. Grandeur of the Seas- my very first ship- nickname back then- " Giga- Liner"- it being one of the biggest ships in the world. This cruise got me hooked. I sailed with them up to the Voyager Class- after that- it their ships got to big for my taste. My last RCI voyage being on board the Brilliance of the Seas- back in 2008. Well there is still a little " soft spot " for RCI left- so I follow their progress - and the new ships.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:24 AM, BND said:

There are very legitimate reasons for those rules and if you ever worked in that environment, you would know it.  They've allowed CD players (just players) for years as I had one in my job in a SCIF since about 2000.  And, I know for a fact because for about 10 years I was a personnel security officer.  Sorry your DH had such a joyless job.  DH has had jobs he didn't enjoy as much as others, but the purpose was important.   Most jobs until the advent of cell phones, etc didn't have entertainment for the employees.  Are you telling me someone can't do their job without being entertained?  I've enjoyed all my jobs because it was about my co-workers and teamwork.  My sons also enjoy their co-workers and my DH's officemate has become a good friend.   We all have/had unclassified computer access on our desks with the ability to listen to music, etc.  And, before you say, my agency must have been different.  Nope, my DH has worked for a couple and I know plenty of people who work at other agencies.  They all allow anything that doesn't record, photograph or plug into a computer.  So, no cell phones, cameras, or anything that has a USB connection.  So, no fitbit, apple watches or anything like that.  But, guess what?  People were still happy.  No, money isn't everything but it is the thing people whine about the most.  Having a great workplace (which I did in several different positions) can come with good money.  The two are not mutually exclusive.  As for passive aggressive, just reacting to the ignorance.  And, before you get bent out of shape, please look up the real definition of the word.

I realize this is an old post, but I was reading through out of interest and this caught my eye.

Different agencies and facilities ARE different, and I happen to work at one that prohibits things like accessing personal email, streaming music (for example from YouTube), and similar on our unclassified computers. Not only would a CD player never be allowed into our facility, they wouldn’t allow the CDs to come in either. This isn’t the SCIF; this is for the entirety of the unclassified workspace in our building. 

It DOES drive me nuts that I miss calls from my son’s school, from doctor’s offices, etc. during the day when I’m at the office. I provide everyone with both phone numbers to reach me at (personal and work), but I can’t even count the number of times I’ve left work at the end of the day only to find missed calls and voicemails on my personal cell phone about things that are actually important and that I should have learned about hours earlier.

But that’s just one reason why I wish I worked from home more often. I commute 2.5 hrs per day for my job, and 80% of what I do could be done at home (I do prefer to have meetings in person). Ideally, I’d work from home 2-3 days per week if it were permitted. I am more focused, more efficient, and more productive when I work at home, not to mention I work more hours because I get back the time I otherwise spend commuting. 

I love my job, but it’s definitely not for everyone. The hiring and clearance hassles are merely the tip of the iceberg, and the lack of access to my phone and inability to work remotely more often are mere annoyances compared to everything else. We make it very clear to people we interview the restrictions they’ll have to deal with, etc. Some decline job offers citing those restrictions, and I don’t blame them. It’s not a matter of work ethic; many of them have PhDs (which are tough to get without work ethic!). It’s simply that they can go somewhere else and make the same or more money, and at the same time have a lot more flexibility and work-life balance.  If I wasn’t already so devoted to my field and my job I’d probably do the same. 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:56 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

Being flexible and understanding is key. I mean, most hotels I've been to now only have housekeeping come in once per stay, if at all and everything has to be done by calling housekeeping (which is fine)

Thing is, hotels aren't pushing for daily tips that add up to real money, and hotels haven't raised tips twice in the span of a year ... while cutting service in half. 

I do not think calling housekeeping for various things you need is fine. 

On 8/27/2023 at 2:56 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

That IS very kind.  Like you, I've never had a bad cabin steward, but on our recent cruises we have definitely missed the twice a day service.  We have seen less of our cabin steward, and we have found the service to be "lesser".  I don't blame the individual stewards; I blame the system that piles too much on the shoulders of the individual workers.  

18 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I would miss the turn down service also- always wonderful to come back after dinner in nicely done cabin.

I miss having that in the morning AND after dinner.  

And I remain salty about paying MORE for LESS service.  

• Like 5

On 1/25/2024 at 4:09 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Thing is, hotels aren't pushing for daily tips that add up to real money, and hotels haven't raised tips twice in the span of a year ... while cutting service in half. 

I do not think calling housekeeping for various things you need is fine. 

That IS very kind.  Like you, I've never had a bad cabin steward, but on our recent cruises we have definitely missed the twice a day service.  We have seen less of our cabin steward, and we have found the service to be "lesser".  I don't blame the individual stewards; I blame the system that piles too much on the shoulders of the individual workers.  

I miss having that in the morning AND after dinner.  

And I remain salty about paying MORE for LESS service.  

we can agree to disagree

Hotels HAVE gone up in price, whether or not they pass that to housekeeping who knows

On a recent cruise, my husband accidentally DECIMATED the soap dispenser in the shower with his elbow and the room steward was so kind about it, brought us little tubes of product, we got a cute little towel animal every day and our room was cleaned really well the one time it was cleaned. I also talked to a family and they said that their room steward did set up/take down their extra bed and would kind of tidy up in there when he was in there. 

I guess I still don't understand why a room steward is needed in a room 2x a day beyond the setting up and tearing down of bed(s). What exactly is there for them to do? I try to make sure my clothes are put away and such because I don't want to have them touch things like that. Most of what I see is done is making the bed, giving towels, vacuuming, emptying the trash cans, cleaning the bathrooms a bit, all of which once a day seems fine to me still

Also, I want to say that I understand and agree about being salty for paying more for less service, but seems to be the norm right now. I've decided I can either be grumpy about stuff like that or just accept that I have no say in most things and just live my life as happily as I can. 

• Like 2