I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

21 minutes ago, BND said:

You can hang towels to dry and reuse them.  Lots of people do.

Maybe lots of people do, but not this girl...nope!  I don't reuse towels at home and I'm not going to on vacation.  To some, it might be 'green' or whatever, to me - the thought is disgusting.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

LOL People who won't reuse a towel they used once after taking a shower.   What makes it "disgusting"?  Your towel, used on you one time isn't dirty considering you just took a shower.  I'm far from green, but I'm not too superior to reuse a towel once. Just google how often you should wash your towels.  I think you'll be surprised.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-often-should-you-wash-your-germ-magnet-of-a-bath-towel/#:~:text=As a general rule%2C launder,re sick to avoid reinfection.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/02/health/washing-towels-how-often-wellness/index.html

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are extremely neat (almost OCD level) and don’t mind using towels more than once, but it is still somewhat disappointing to walk into a cabin at the end of the day that looks exactly the way we left it. It was a special bonus to have that second visit, and we do miss it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Do you think we're unaware of this? 🤣 This is all about PREFERENCE and it's perfectly acceptable my preference isn't the same as yours. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Do you think we're unaware of this? 🤣 This is all about PREFERENCE and it's perfectly acceptable my preference isn't the same as yours. 

I think you acted like it was beneath you.

6 minutes ago, BND said:

I think you acted like it was beneath you.

By saying what exactly? DH and I work out 1x a day, then if it's a port day, shower before dinner. How is that beneath anything? It's okay I don't want to use a damp towel, why does that bother you?

• Like 8

3 hours ago, BND said:

Yes, I hang towels and re-use them at home, BUT consider:

- At home we have two good-sized bathrooms with towel bars that allow the towel to spread out /dry out for real; whereas, on a ship our family's towels hang crowded together on hooks on a fairly small door.  

- At home my husband and I share one bathroom, while our daughter has her own bathroom; in contrast, on a ship we're all sharing in one small bathroom, which means more towels and more humidity to keep them damp.  

- This is all compounded by the fact that on a ship we often get hot and sweaty and take more showers.  

No, towel usage at home vs. on a ship doesn't compare apples-to-apples.  I don't apologize for using more towels onboard than I do at home -- and it's not about being snotty or difficult to please.  It's about reality of ship bathrooms and how slowly towels dry in them.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 16

Some content from the Cruise Directors spiel was all about how often the Cabin Stewards clean your cabin, it now has to change:

Was: "You drop a towel on the floor, leave the room and it is picked up and replaced with a clean towel."

Now: "You drop a towel on the floor, you have to time it right with your once-a-day cleaning, or else it will be there for up to 24 hours, still wet and not replaced with a clean one"

Was: "You get up in the middle of the night, go to the bathroom, come back to bed and your bed is made up"

Now: "You get up in the middle of the night, go to the bathroom, your bed will still be unmade like it was for most of the day if you choose evening as your once-a-day cleaning"

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, BND said:

LOL People who won't reuse a towel they used once after taking a shower.   What makes it "disgusting"?  Your towel, used on you one time isn't dirty considering you just took a shower.  I'm far from green, but I'm not too superior to reuse a towel once. Just google how often you should wash your towels.  I think you'll be surprised.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-often-should-you-wash-your-germ-magnet-of-a-bath-towel/#:~:text=As a general rule%2C launder,re sick to avoid reinfection.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/02/health/washing-towels-how-often-wellness/index.html

I do find it disgusting.  Let's assume you took a shower about 20  minutes ago, you're still clean, right?  Now, I want you to run upstairs to the bathroom, drop your drawers, take a wad of toilet paper and rub it really vigorously between your butt cheeks.  Now, take that same wad of toilet paper and rub it all over your  face.  Why not?  It is clean, isn't it?  Yeah.. you do you, and I will continue to use a fresh towel every.single.time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, I hang towels and re-use them at home, BUT consider:

- At home we have two good-sized bathrooms with towel bars that allow the towel to spread out /dry out for real; whereas, on a ship our family's towels hang crowded together on hooks on a fairly small door.  

- At home my husband and I share one bathroom, while our daughter has her own bathroom; in contrast, on a ship we're all sharing in one small bathroom, which means more towels and more humidity to keep them damp.  

- This is all compounded by the fact that on a ship we often get hot and sweaty and take more showers.  

No, towel usage at home vs. on a ship doesn't compare apples-to-apples.  I don't apologize for using more towels onboard than I do at home -- and it's not about being snotty or difficult to please.  It's about reality of ship bathrooms and how slowly towels dry in them.  

True, things dry very slowly . 

• Like 1

People are overthinking this. LOL.   Who knew it was so easy to rile people up over something so trivial?  Before someone else says it,  I know, it's CC haha.

I can solve this major problem for those of you that are easily grossed out by yourself, ask for extra towels, problem solved.   

Edited by BND

12 minutes ago, BND said:

I can solve this major problem for those of you that are easily grossed out by yourself, ask for extra towels, problem solved.   

Where do you leave the damp used  towels and bath mats
I would not like them sitting around for hours, does the cabin stewards  remove  them when requested  or just leave them on the balcony  to dry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sowhat said:

I would not like them sitting around for hours, does the cabin stewards  remove  them when requested  or just leave them on the balcony  to dry.

Up until a few years ago, there were always extra towels in the bathrooms. 

We hang them on the back of the door on hooks. We stay in JS, so it's not required but we do it.  We also (gasp) reuse hand towels. The idea it's "disgusting" is entirely in people's heads.

1 hour ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

I do find it disgusting.  Let's assume you took a shower about 20  minutes ago, you're still clean, right?  Now, I want you to run upstairs to the bathroom, drop your drawers, take a wad of toilet paper and rub it really vigorously between your butt cheeks.  Now, take that same wad of toilet paper and rub it all over your  face.  Why not?  It is clean, isn't it?  Yeah.. you do you, and I will continue to use a fresh towel every.single.time.  

Oh, the drama.  How many towels do you wash at home per week?

You'd think I told people to use other's towels. I simply stated that someone could reuse their towel ONE time.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Oh, the drama.  How many towels do you wash at home per week?

You'd think I told people to use other's towels. I simply stated that someone could reuse their towel ONE time.  

No drama here.  I do laundry 2 or 3 times a week.  There are 2 people in my household and we each use at least 1 towel and 1 washcloth per day each.  Sometimes more.  So, if there are multiple people in your house, how do you know which towel belongs to which person?  Do you all have your own special color?  Your own special hook?  I also put out fresh towels in the kitchen every day and put yesterday's in the laundry.  I'm pretty fanatical about sheets as well 🙂  And yes, someone can reuse their towel one time, just not me lol.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BND said:

Up until a few years ago, there were always extra towels in the bathrooms. 

We hang them on the back of the door on hooks. We stay in JS, so it's not required but we do it.  We also (gasp) reuse hand towels. The idea it's "disgusting" is entirely in people's heads.

My DH is immuno compromised as an organ transplant recipient.  We were told by an infectious disease Dr during a class on how to avoid germs/bacteria to never use a bath towel or wash rag more than once, never share a hand towel and he should never use a hand towel more than 3 to 5 hand washings.  

So we simply toss our used towels on the floor near toilet, not over floor drain and have them removed on our once a day cleaning (evening).  Easy peasy.

• Like 2

I just don't get needing new towels daily- we hang and reuse our towels for at least 2 days before asking for new ones, even when we had twice a day, we wouldn't put them on the floor to be replaced. The only reason I would want to see my attendant twice a day is ice and bed setup\take down, and even that I can manage if needed. I prefer they come at night so when we get back from dinner, the bed is made and ready to lie in. 

59 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Thks, I love the info about the app... where u could request more towels (as I do sweat a lot on ship, especially in August) but on our cruise on Oasis a while back I was told by the Stewart NOT to put the towels on the balcony.  Was that unusual or can you?

12 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

Thks, I love the info about the app... where u could request more towels (as I do sweat a lot on ship, especially in August) but on our cruise on Oasis a while back I was told by the Stewart NOT to put the towels on the balcony.  Was that unusual or can you?

Not officially ,  but I don't like items  lying on the floors
So if royal caribbean  does not supply  a reciprocal  for used bathroom  items, where do you place them?

2 hours ago, sowhat said:

This is from Royal Caribbean app

Screenshot_20230706_102731_Royal.jpg

We had actually sent a request to special needs and then right before the cruise got the above list via email, (but maybe it was the app) so we filled that out as well.
However, a request for a medical refrigerator and a sharps container never materialized. We had to ask our room steward for them. Although we never mentioned that we did not receive them, we got home and received an apology email for not fulfilling the request and for any inconvenience it caused. It also included a suggestion to place requests at least 30 days out -although their request list appeared far closer to sail date. 🤪

• Like 2