I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

9 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

#1, 3 and 5 are exactly it. I'm glad you shared your thoughts. We went through so many towels when we brought DS with us, it is a different game with kids in tow. DH and I work out every day as well, so there's shower 1, and if it's a port day there's shower 2 before dinner - so easy to go through items. Additionally, we're people who DO spend ample time in the cabin, we don't always want to be around the masses. I definitely see the draw of 2x service considering cabin space can shrink up quickly, let alone with a family in tow. 

We do as well.  Like the gym and we prefer being in our room reading, surfing internet or watching a show.  We are currently in a suite and just stay on balcony.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Thanks for sharing, I'm hoping I won't care since I've gotten used to no service in hotels unless you stay longer or request it, but I also did love the twice daily service.  I've had to hunt down additional towels at hotels too, and it's a PITA, so I'll know to stay on it if needed!

I think I'd be fine with once a day if I have a findable steward, and we are not needy, but do have some requests we appreciate and tip well for.

Interesting point about hotels.  We've actually come to like the not daily service.  We spend 1-2 weeks at various hotels in Florida through the winter and now like not having the daily service, it's just nice to not wonder when they'll show up 🙂  And just schedule the days we want.  That said, if the afternoon service is discontinued on the ships we'll miss it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I often told my steward once a day please. I dont like the intrusion. 

I am solo I admit, but not once have my trash cans overflowed lol. As far as visiting my steward in the halls I can still do that, dont see the difference.  I must be super neat.  

I thought the same thing, what does one accumulate on a ship that would have the trash cans "overflowing"  🙂

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Interesting point about hotels.  We've actually come to like the not daily service.  We spend 1-2 weeks at various hotels in Florida through the winter and now like not having the daily service, it's just nice to not wonder when they'll show up 🙂  And just schedule the days we want.  That said, if the afternoon service is discontinued on the ships we'll miss it.

I don’t mind how hotels do it at all for the most part, and I can usually grab my own ice 🙂 swapping out towels and getting a refresh can sometimes get tricky due to timing for when you check in/out and service. I find it completely depends on the hotel - one at a recent conference had a housekeeping desk where you could grab extra needed items (toilet paper, towels, etc) and that was great - we could grab it on our way back to the room. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

I thought the same thing, what does one accumulate on a ship that would have the trash cans "overflowing"  🙂

We don’t so much ever fill it now as the 2 of us, but in years traveling with kids, many different reasons. Then again I still love the memory of my youngest storing his room service cookies in the safe on his first cruise! I feel for all stewards though when kids are involved, I know how mine were and they aren’t super messy! I always did cleaning of my own to help save some time for the steward, and always tipped extra!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, laura85 said:

I’m not super chatty with room attendants, and honestly rarely even run in to them after the first day. Our next cruise will have my husband and I plus 5 year old daughter in one balcony room. My main concern is just that the sofa will be stuck as a bed all week? 

This is my exact concern about our cruise in November. While I love the 2x a day service and extras that the room stewards do on Disney (like wrapping up and securing charging cables with little velcro tiebacks) and having the bed remade after a nap, my husband would sometimes mutter that he wished they would stop "moving my stuff around". But, we are a family of 3 and the rooms are so small as it is that losing a significant area to a pullman or sofa bed is not an experience I imagine any of us will enjoy. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, uncwmark said:

Math doesn't quite add up there...

74 cabin stewards responsible for 16 cabins each equals 1,184 cabins

54 cabin stewards responsible for 25 cabins each equals 1,350 cabins. 

Did Explorer gain 166 cabins when the change was made? 😉  

17 hours ago, uncwmark said:

Further, according to Google, Explorer actually has 1,641 cabins... 

Math isn't adding up anywhere here... even if you don't include suite cabins (of which there are 115, again, according to Google)... there are ~1,525 cabins to service once daily. 

I think they were referring to # of cleanings vs # of rooms:

74 stewards x 16 cabins x 2 cleanings/day = 2368 cleanings

54 stewards x 25 cabins x 1 cleaning/day = 1350 cleanings. 

This still may not equal exact numbers of cabins on Explorer but still a good wag. Also, it looks like you pulled your stats from Cruisemapper. RCI officially lists on their site 1,715 total cabins with 125 being suites.  I’m not really understanding the need to fact check the numbers in someones post imho but if data analysis to prove someone wrong on a cruise board is your jam, at least pull your numbers from the official site. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, uncwmark said:

Further, according to Google, Explorer actually has 1,641 cabins... 

Math isn't adding up anywhere here... even if you don't include suite cabins (of which there are 115, again, according to Google)... there are ~1,525 cabins to service once daily. 

Morale of the story

Don't put too much stock into the information given to you by people fishing for sympathy tips

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sowhat said:

On Explorer of the the Seas  in May this year, we used the app to request  ice and additional  towels 4 tines, not delivered.

I had no idea you could make these requests on royals app.   Where did you do this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedJessi said:

This is my exact concern about our cruise in November. While I love the 2x a day service and extras that the room stewards do on Disney (like wrapping up and securing charging cables with little velcro tiebacks) and having the bed remade after a nap, my husband would sometimes mutter that he wished they would stop "moving my stuff around". But, we are a family of 3 and the rooms are so small as it is that losing a significant area to a pullman or sofa bed is not an experience I imagine any of us will enjoy. 

Sofa beds and Pullman can be put away by room steward in the morning and made in the evening, if you want, just ask them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boz575 said:

I think they were referring to # of cleanings vs # of rooms:

74 stewards x 16 cabins x 2 cleanings/day = 2368 cleanings

54 stewards x 25 cabins x 1 cleaning/day = 1350 cleanings. 

This still may not equal exact numbers of cabins on Explorer but still a good wag. Also, it looks like you pulled your stats from Cruisemapper. RCI officially lists on their site 1,715 total cabins with 125 being suites.  I’m not really understanding the need to fact check the numbers in someones post imho but if data analysis to prove someone wrong on a cruise board is your jam, at least pull your numbers from the official site. 

Wasn’t insinuating that OP was attempting to deceive at all — WAS insinuating that, perhaps, Room Steward wasn’t the best or most accurate source of RCCL staffing data… 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I had no idea you could make these requests on royals app.   Where did you do this?

There should be a QR code in your cabin. There’s also a link buried somewhere in the app.

• Thanks 1

For those that enjoy one a day or less cabin service - good for you - that is YOUR preference and it is now being met.

For those that prefer twice a day cabin service - like me - you are now out of luck. 

When service was twice a day it was easy for those who wanted once a day service to simply ask for it. Now, those who like twice a day have no option. (Please don't say just say in a suite - that is out of reach financially for most people.) 

RCI have cut back service for no reason other than to save money. Just like so many things they have cut back on this is purely money driven cloaked in a "Save the environment" flag. They are seeing how far they can go with cut backs before people start voting with their pocketbook and stop booking cruises. Gone are the days when guests felt that they were being pampered even in an inside cabin. The overall cruising experience is being cheapened for many guests when things that they have enjoyed are no longer included. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cello56 said:

RCI have cut back service for no reason other than to save money.

As a for profit business trying to recover from massive debt incurred from the covid shutdown, do you begrudge them for doing so?

If their product no longer appeals to you, don't give them your business.

They have the right to maximize profits and you have the right to react however you see fit.

• Like 4

Yes, the one thing I hated about the once a day cleaning is the amount of trash/plates that piled up. If you have 3-4 people staying in a stateroom, it's already pretty cramped. You only have a tiny coffee table to place items on, or a tiny desk/counter which is already cluttered with other stuff. 

We bought a water package, and the trash cans pretty much fit two empty bottles. We all got C&A water bottles too, so we had a ton of water to get through. We often went to Sorrentos and brought back pizza and the plates/cups would just pile up. Or if we got snacks from Cafe Promenade, those are also given on plates that pile up. If only there was a place to drop off used plates on my floor, as I was certainly not going to bring them back to the food places.

Note, we also eat in our hotel rooms, but hotels have large trash cans near their breakfast areas, where we can deposit our food trash. I'm not advocating for cruise ships to change to disposable food wares, but noting that maybe there could be a place to deposit plates/cups.

• Like 3

I agree with those asking for the two daily cleanings to continue.  It was a great nicety of cruising.  And, truth is on land, if needed, you can ask at most hotels to tidy your room up at any time.  Most cruise cabins aren’t too big and it doesn’t take the average room attendant too long to do all of their cabins.  We tip over base gratuities and this is one service I believe they should restore.  

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, CruiseMelissa said:

A few main reasons:

1. It was one of the things that made cruising more special than land-based vacations.  

2. I didn't realize how much I loved the interactions with my cabin attendant twice a day when they were in the halls around my cabin.  Some knew our names, all greeted us and wished us a great day, etc.  Now that they're spread out over many cabins, these interactions aren't as frequent.

3. Cruise cabins are MUCH smaller than hotel rooms and feel dirtier so much quicker.  Yes, we don't spend much time in there, but the time we DID spend felt more claustrophobic with the beds unmade, towels on the bathroom floor etc.

4. "You can always call and ask for more towels, etc." - tried it, asked for bath towels, they never came.

5. The garbage cans are teeny tiny in the cabins and I didn't realize how quickly we accumulated trash and had it overflowing.

Those are exactly the things I dread -- and well said.  Add to it concerns about whether sofas /pullman bunks will actually be serviced twice a day or not.  

And -- to add insult to injury -- throw in the recent increase in tip amount.  Less service + more cost.  

On 7/3/2023 at 3:54 PM, GJustice said:

Pretty sure you can ask for, and get, Ice twice a day. They're cutting back on the 2X FULL service visits, NOT abandoning us entirely. You'll never get anything you want without asking 🙂 

Ice is something I don't care about.  I'd rather walk to pick up a fresh drink /fresh ice rather than have half-melted ice in my room.  

On 7/3/2023 at 3:54 PM, GJustice said:

Do you get 2X Daily "maid" service at home? I sure don't.

No, but at home I don't share one tiny room with my husband (and possibly my children).  I have instant access to ice and towels, and I have a trash can that doesn't fill up in half a day.  This analogy falls flat.  

On 7/3/2023 at 4:13 PM, schlimazel_traveler said:

I agree that the twice-daily cabin service was one of the luxuries I loved about cruising. The room always felt neat and uncluttered, the bed magically made while we were at breakfast, dishes spirited away, wastebasket emptied. Knowing the steward was coming in also inspired us to keep all of our stuff neatly out of sight. Getting away from my clutter is the best part of vacation sometimes!

Agree!  

On 7/3/2023 at 4:14 PM, mac_tlc said:

... As for the garbage can. If we happened to stop for a coffee and bring it back to the room, those two cups would almost fill the garbage can. Better not have a coke can or a bottle of water too ... 

Exactly.  Start with a coffee each.  My husband will drink a few beers over the course of the day.  It fills that small trash can.  

And remember that some cabins support 3-4 people.  Their trash adds up in a hurry.  

On 7/3/2023 at 7:19 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t think this is a very divisive issue. I haven’t heard too many people complain about it. If you really miss/need your cabin cleaned twice a day, book a suite. 

Book a suite a double (or more) the price?  Not a fair answer. 

• Like 7

On 7/3/2023 at 5:58 PM, mikefromny said:

We had no problem with the once-a-day cleaning. On day one, our attendant asked if we wanted early or late, we chose early and I was amazed that he had the cabin done within 1 hour of us leaving the cabin (often 30 minutes). Mario was also around most of the day and was super friendly.

I did find the trash cans too small, but I started crushing our water bottles, and that took care of most of the issue. I agree this was one thing that set cruising apart, but not something that I really miss. Just keep the escargot and French onion soup and I'll be happy!

Yikes.. Don't hold your breath on that request . It's not a given anymore , and definitely not every night 

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

Yikes.. Don't hold your breath on that request . It's not a given anymore , and definitely not every night 

I know, not every night, but enough that I was happy. Honestly, I was very happy with the MDR in June.

On 7/3/2023 at 8:39 PM, GetToLivin said:

#1, 3 and 5 are exactly it. I'm glad you shared your thoughts. We went through so many towels when we brought DS with us, it is a different game with kids in tow. DH and I work out every day as well, so there's shower 1, and if it's a port day there's shower 2 before dinner - so easy to go through items. Additionally, we're people who DO spend ample time in the cabin, we don't always want to be around the masses. I definitely see the draw of 2x service considering cabin space can shrink up quickly, let alone with a family in tow. 

You can hang towels to dry and reuse them.  Lots of people do.