I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

27 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I'm hoping I won't need to, but did have to resort to it at a recent hotel conference.  I'm never trying to be difficult but at home I can dry towels more easily and/or do laundry if needed, and on vacation I prefer to feel more on vacation so no extra thought and minimal effort lol!

It would be awesome if they opened a housekeeping station for an hour in the morning and evening on each deck - even if just to dump used towels in a bin and ask for new ones.  I know that would likely be seen as we have to do things ourselves but that would be easy enough to just go swap and not worry about requesting.  I know logistically that may not be feasible but I'm all about finding an efficient solution that doesn't add more burden on the crew.  Then again Royal isn't asking me for my help lol!

We have only sailed in suites since the change to once a day service, so our upcoming cruise in a balcony will be interesting.  We plan to ask the steward to leave us two sets of towels each when they do their daily cleaning.  If we need anything, we plan to ask them when we see them in the cabin corridor, just like we always have.  I will also bring my barrel to them to empty if it is overflowing.  Once a day service is not an issue for us at all and don't expect it to be a problem.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes I saw your post, it doesn’t matter if you can request, what matters is do they follow through, and in my experience they never do. 

I have tried it 6 or 7 times now. I no longer attempt because it did not work in any of those instances. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Royal's IT department. 😆

• Haha 1

Just now, Mikew0805 said:

I have tried it 6 or 7 times now. I no longer attempt because it did not work in any of those instances. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Royal's IT department. 😆

Shocking, I know.  It would be best to just remove the option rather than look inept. I have never had luck with the “scan the QR code to have pool towels delivered” either 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have only sailed in suites since the change to once a day service, so our upcoming cruise in a balcony will be interesting.  We plan to ask the steward to leave us two sets of towels each when they do their daily cleaning.  If we need anything, we plan to ask them when we see them in the cabin corridor, just like we always have.  I will also bring my barrel to them to empty if it is overflowing.  Once a day service is not an issue for us at all and don't expect it to be a problem.  

Yep, I keep trying to upgrade my cabin to a suite since this is a big anniversary/birthday cruise but prices are just going crazy still and I know I'll be just fine in a balcony so will just use whatever measures needed once I see how our sailing is.  Overall, I'll be so happy to be back on a ship and not at work I may not care at all lol!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I was told the last cruise that they could NOT leave two sets of towels... but they said they would replace dirty towels for us.   Maybe the solution now is ask for the two sets of towels and explain that the request is to avoid the need for a second request.... since only once a day cleaning.

I'm ok with that, as it would be easier.

But again.... I use more than one towel if I am sweaty or dirty, outside the towel for shower

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

I was told the last cruise that they could NOT leave two sets of towels... but they said they would replace dirty towels for us.   Maybe the solution now is ask for the two sets of towels and explain that the request is to avoid the need for a second request.... since only once a day cleaning.

But again.... I use more than one towel if I am sweaty or dirty, outside the towel for shower

Well, we will see what they say when we talk to them when they introduce themselves.  We are low maintenance, our room is never a mess like some that you see when you walk by them.  We don't leave stuff lying around everywhere because I don't like people touching my stuff!

• Like 1

I've cruised with the new once a day cleaning and can honestly say I really don't miss the 2x daily service. Of course 2x daily was nice while it lasted but once a day is not a deal breaker for me. 

There have been quite a few changes since I first started cruising and I tend to just roll with the punches. 

• Like 2

On Symphony out of Rome last month, steward introduced himself, and asked if we wanted morning or evening service.   Actually it appeared to be 2 stewards  working together.   We had 2 connecting staterooms. 

We told them if they gave each room double towels/wash clothes, it didn’t matter.  They could replace any used towels when ever it was best for their schedule.   Couldn’t have been easier, and they appreciated the flexibility. 

They set their cart next to our room, and we’d often be leaving for an excursion and see them, and swap out towels with them, and let them know we didn’t need anything else for the day.  

on a day I may have brought a plate of cookies or a glass of wine back, as a I was leaving my room they would ask if I had any dishes or glasses I wanted to give them to take away.    DD and DGS had room service one night, and a Sorrentos pizza another.  They let stewards know as they left the room, that they had dishes and would be onshore for the day.  

in our experience it worked well. Give them flexibility, ask up front to keep double towels, and give them a couple days off at towel swap, if nothing out of ordinary needed.   Made our stay wonderful. And made their days easier 

Edited by ocean sounds
Typos
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

Just grab towels off the cart in the hallway, stash them away and they will restock whatever you leave on the floor every day. 

• Like 1

I do understand the garbage issue, and I don't travel with kids. They leave so much "junk mail" in the cabin (Diamonds International, On-board Watch Sale, etc.) it can add up. Haven't personally experienced the change to 1X per day yet - will in February - but I don't think it will bother me. I'll request morning, so the cabin is clean for the day. I don't need them to clean it again in the evening. Basically, that's just turn-down service. They will have changed my sheets and towels in the morning. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, printingchick said:

I do understand the garbage issue, and I don't travel with kids. They leave so much "junk mail" in the cabin (Diamonds International, On-board Watch Sale, etc.) it can add up. Haven't personally experienced the change to 1X per day yet - will in February - but I don't think it will bother me. I'll request morning, so the cabin is clean for the day. I don't need them to clean it again in the evening. Basically, that's just turn-down service. They will have changed my sheets and towels in the morning. 

I don’t think they change the sheets daily, just make the bed.

• Like 1

Just now, mjkacmom said:

They only change them every few days.  Pretty sure on a 7 night, it's once during the cruise.

20 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We’ve been on many long cruises and I’ve never noticed that they changed the sheets at all…..

Edited by lovesthebeach2

On the Anthem in May, I had morning service.  My stateroom attendant insisted on bringing me ice twice a day(I only requested once).  Also had my compass and towel animals on my bed regularly.  I put my disposable water bottles next to my trash can.  Everytime I saw my attendant in the hall, he asked if there was anything I needed.  Service was excellent. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sowhat said:

From the Royal Caribbean app

Screenshot_20230706_102731_Royal.jpg

I'm not aware of this portion of the app.  I just opened mine, and I can't see where this is located -- maybe it's only visible once you're onboard?  Can you please point me in the right direction?  

7 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

True, things dry very slowly . 

Off-topic, but I bought Quick-Dry towels (from Walmart).  Wow, I love these towels.  They're kinda "waffled" up and down, and they're noticeably lighter weight than other towels.  They definitely do dry faster -- faster on the towel bar and faster in the dryer.  2/3 of my towels are Quick-Dry, and if a regular towel is on top, I'll reach underneath to get one of the Quick-Drys.  

I've had them maybe two years (?) and they seem to be holding up well.  

7 hours ago, BND said:

People are overthinking this. LOL.   Who knew it was so easy to rile people up over something so trivial? 

Who's riled?  I'm just reading a discussion.  

6 hours ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

So, if there are multiple people in your house, how do you know which towel belongs to which person?  Do you all have your own special color?  Your own special hook? 

My husband and I have no problem remembering whose towel bar is whose.  

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My DH is immuno compromised as an organ transplant recipient.  We were told by an infectious disease Dr during a class on how to avoid germs/bacteria to never use a bath towel or wash rag more than once, never share a hand towel and he should never use a hand towel more than 3 to 5 hand washings ... 

I think we all understand that people with unique medical needs might need to use extra care in numerous ways, but that doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of us.  

2 hours ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

Irresponsible?  Really?  You want to go there?  I pay my bills, if you were paying them for me, you might get a vote.  Unless you ride a bicycle to the port...oh wait, is that cruise ship 100% environmentally friendly?   You better be absolutely perfect before you call me irresponsible for using a fresh, clean towel each day.

Irresponsible is too strong a word, but we as inhabitants of the planet Earth don't have unlimited water and electricity.  Moderation.  

1 hour ago, Happytime22 said:

I was told the last cruise that they could NOT leave two sets of towels...

No way!  

17 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm not aware of this portion of the app.  I just opened mine, and I can't see where this is located -- maybe it's only visible once you're onboard?  Can you please point me in the right direction?  

See my post #103

6 hours ago, BND said:

Oh, the drama.  How many towels do you wash at home per week?

You'd think I told people to use other's towels. I simply stated that someone could reuse their towel ONE time.  

It's not drama to feel bad about losing service and paying more for the service that has decreased.  I personally only use a towel/wash cloth once.  As suggested I will ask for more.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Just grab towels off the cart in the hallway, stash them away and they will restock whatever you leave on the floor every day. 

Ooooooo like it... I will covertly raid the towel cart when no is looking and hide my deceit by leaving piles of dirty towels in the hallway no where near my room....big pile....like raked leaves!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought most people used bath towels when they get out of the shower/bathtub with clean bodies. If you dry your clean body on a clean towel wouldn't it follow that the towel is clean and could be used more than once?  Replacing a towel everyday seems a bit overkill, IMHO. I do agree that it is not right to have fewer services and pay the same or more in cruise fare. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Who's riled?  I'm just reading a discussion.  

Where did I say you were riled?  

Edited by BND

13 minutes ago, cannotfathom said:

It's not drama to feel bad about losing service and paying more for the service that has decreased.  I personally only use a towel/wash cloth once.  As suggested I will ask for more.  

The drama is the reactions to such a minor thing.