We Have Booked Our First Cruise Since Covid

We have booked our first cruise since Covid, not until next June on Pacific Encounter from Brisbane to PNG. We have been doing land trips since the country re-opened as DH wasn't too keen on cruising again. But he has relented and is now looking forward to cruising to PNG. We have had two cruises cancelled to PNG since 2020, so third time lucky. I have a few questions for those who have cruised from BICT and to PNG and about onboard the Encounter. Our ports/stops are Alotau, Kiriwina Island, Rabaul and Conflict Islands.

1. Visa to PNG - I assume it is provided on arrival and charged to our onboard accounts?

2. We, as normal will arrive the day before sailing  - I have read a few posts about where to stay. We have stayed at Hamilton before so will likely stay there again. We will head to the airport straight after disembarkation so won't need accommodation before flying home. Suggestions for hotel/motel please? By the way I contacted the Kingsford Smith Motel where we have stayed before to ask about the shuttle to the BICT.  From the end of the year they will not be doing it, they will only have a shuttle to the airport and to the races. Does anyone know of other motels/hotels which have a shuttle to BICT? 

3. Encounter - it is many years since we sailed on a P&O ship and I realise there have been many changes since then. I think I get the three 'free' reataurants - but do have a question - do you have the opportunity to book your dining pre boarding or is it done for you or do you do it once you board? The 'pay for' restaurants - how many are there? And the cost please? We loved Luke Mangan's Salt, is Luke's still much the same? 

4. PNG Excursions - any we must do? PNG currency - do we need to purchase? 

Thanks for any information.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We have booked our first cruise since Covid, not until next June on Pacific Encounter from Brisbane to PNG. We have been doing land trips since the country re-opened as DH wasn't too keen on cruising again. But he has relented and is now looking forward to cruising to PNG. We have had two cruises cancelled to PNG since 2020, so third time lucky. I have a few questions for those who have cruised from BICT and to PNG and about onboard the Encounter. Our ports/stops are Alotau, Kiriwina Island, Rabaul and Conflict Islands.

1. Visa to PNG - I assume it is provided on arrival and charged to our onboard accounts?

2. We, as normal will arrive the day before sailing  - I have read a few posts about where to stay. We have stayed at Hamilton before so will likely stay there again. We will head to the airport straight after disembarkation so won't need accommodation before flying home. Suggestions for hotel/motel please? By the way I contacted the Kingsford Smith Motel where we have stayed before to ask about the shuttle to the BICT.  From the end of the year they will not be doing it, they will only have a shuttle to the airport and to the races. Does anyone know of other motels/hotels which have a shuttle to BICT? 

3. Encounter - it is many years since we sailed on a P&O ship and I realise there have been many changes since then. I think I get the three 'free' reataurants - but do have a question - do you have the opportunity to book your dining pre boarding or is it done for you or do you do it once you board? The 'pay for' restaurants - how many are there? And the cost please? We loved Luke Mangan's Salt, is Luke's still much the same? 

Thanks for any information.

2) Try Airolodge, as they had a shuttle option when I last checked. We like Alcyone Apartments, but they are a bit dearer than the Kingsford Smith Drive hotels, and no free shuttle.

3) Luke's Bar & Grill is an evolution of Salt Grill. Many of the menu items are the same/similar.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I did a PNG cruise last November, same ports as you. I wrote a trip report, which might help with some information:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2898895-report-on-my-first-cruise-on-coral-princess/#comment-64432995

Yes, the visa was automatic for cruise ship passengers.

Thank so much. I’ll have a read. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Take Kina with you. It's not easy for PNGn's to change Oz dollars, banks a few and far between. For my PNG cruise I bought Kina from local Post Office

That’s what I assumed. Thanks Lyndon. 

• Like 1

I was able to swap my leftover Kina with a local on one of the Islands. He was telling me they pool their $AUD and it is taken to the bank on the other side of the Island. Commissions and handling fees eat into his profit. He was happy, and I was happy to exchange.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

I was able to swap my leftover Kina with a local on one of the Islands. He was telling me they pool their $AUD and it is taken to the bank on the other side of the Island. Commissions and handling fees eat into his profit. He was happy, and I was happy to exchange.

We took a fair amount of Kina with us and some was used to swap for AUD with locals. The remainder we donated to school groups and entertainers at our last port call. 

• Like 2

We have just done the Solomons/PNG cruise, we did the PNG one 6 yrs ago.  I Rabaul they had people on the ship  to change money either into Kina or back to Australian.  In Kiriwina the locals were going along the line of people waiting for the tender to see if they could change there Aussie money.

I don't know if they still do it but we really enjoyed the cultural dance show in Alotau. also the volcano tour in Rabaul. this time in Kiriwina the locals had a section of beach made "private"and were charging 5kina per person. you could also buy bananas, coconuts and they had cooked mud crabs for 25kina which did look good

• Like 1

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

We cruised from Brisbane to PNG on Coral Princess earlier this year and loved the experience.

In Alotau we simply walked into the main street, had a look at the small market on the foreshore and visited the local supermarket. We're visiting this port again next year and plan to do the Lik Lik Festival this time.

We skipped Kiriwina Island due to weather and had two days in Rabaul instead.

On the first day we booked a private tour. You can read about that here: 

On the second day we walked into town and wandered around the market.

Conflict Island was our favourite port and it was absolutely stunning. We took our own snorkel gear and spent several hours exploring the main lagoon, as well as wandering around the island.

You will definitely need to take Kina with you for Alotau, Kiriwina Island and Rabaul. We found it difficult to source Kina in Adelaide prior to the trip, but easily picked some up at Brisbane Airport when we arrived. 

Conflict Island is cashless.

• Like 1

I also wrote at trip report for my cruise on the Coral in Jan/Feb. I did the ships excursions for convenience and as the cruise was a ‘Drop & Go’ bargain basement price but there are private companies available.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=696261

In Rabaul, I met folks who went on the local transport to Kokopo. By all accounts, a jolly good time was had by all

Not so long ago, I would have thought ‘that looks like fun’, now I thought ‘I won’t be able to walk for a week if I drive for over an hour round trip in that jalopy.

IMG_2806 (1).jpg

Edited by Yaya_in_Oz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took the PNG cruise in 2016 on the Sea Princess, we didn't do any of the tours, and just enjoy each port, just walked around from the docks, there seemed enough to see to keep us occupied.

In Rabaul we went to their local shopping centre, and my wife found some really nice fabrics she loved very fairly priced, she made cushion covers for all our outdoor furniture, still going to this day.

In Kiriwina Island they had a great local market that was quite extensive. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kellyansapansa said:

We cruised from Brisbane to PNG on Coral Princess earlier this year and loved the experience.

In Alotau we simply walked into the main street, had a look at the small market on the foreshore and visited the local supermarket. We're visiting this port again next year and plan to do the Lik Lik Festival this time.

We skipped Kiriwina Island due to weather and had two days in Rabaul instead.

On the first day we booked a private tour. You can read about that here: 

On the second day we walked into town and wandered around the market.

Conflict Island was our favourite port and it was absolutely stunning. We took our own snorkel gear and spent several hours exploring the main lagoon, as well as wandering around the island.

You will definitely need to take Kina with you for Alotau, Kiriwina Island and Rabaul. We found it difficult to source Kina in Adelaide prior to the trip, but easily picked some up at Brisbane Airport when we arrived. 

Conflict Island is cashless.

Thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

I also wrote at trip report for my cruise on the Coral in Jan/Feb. I did the ships excursions for convenience and as the cruise was a ‘Drop & Go’ bargain basement price but there are private companies available.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=696261

In Rabaul, I met folks who went on the local transport to Kokopo. By all accounts, a jolly good time was had by all

Not so long ago, I would have thought ‘that looks like fun’, now I thought ‘I won’t be able to walk for a week if I drive for over an hour round trip in that jalopy.

IMG_2806 (1).jpg

Thank you. Great information about your excursions.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

We took the PNG cruise in 2016 on the Sea Princess, we didn't do any of the tours, and just enjoy each port, just walked around from the docks, there seemed enough to see to keep us occupied.

In Rabaul we went to their local shopping centre, and my wife found some really nice fabrics she loved very fairly priced, she made cushion covers for all our outdoor furniture, still going to this day.

In Kiriwina Island they had a great local market that was quite extensive. 

Thank you. That helps.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We took a fair amount of Kina with us and some was used to swap for AUD with locals. The remainder we donated to school groups and entertainers at our last port call. 

Thanks Julie. We will try to get some kina before we leave.

2 hours ago, greyskier said:

We have just done the Solomons/PNG cruise, we did the PNG one 6 yrs ago.  I Rabaul they had people on the ship  to change money either into Kina or back to Australian.  In Kiriwina the locals were going along the line of people waiting for the tender to see if they could change there Aussie money.

I don't know if they still do it but we really enjoyed the cultural dance show in Alotau. also the volcano tour in Rabaul. this time in Kiriwina the locals had a section of beach made "private"and were charging 5kina per person. you could also buy bananas, coconuts and they had cooked mud crabs for 25kina which did look good

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

When you board  go to the restaurant (usually dragon lady) and there will be staff to assist you to book wherever you waant each night and at what time    They will also advise how many days each menu stays so that you can do nights for each offering

• Like 2

You can also book your dining on the P&O app once on board. We sailed on Encounter last month and a three course meal (which was awesome btw) at Luke's Bar and Grill was $58 and worth every cent. The other specialty restaurant is 400 Gradi which is a pizza restaurant. We didn't dine there as I'm not a big fan of pizza.

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

If you do Facebook if you put cruise PNG into the search bar and join the group they have a wealth of information there and where to get Kina 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, windsor26 said:

When you board  go to the restaurant (usually dragon lady) and there will be staff to assist you to book wherever you waant each night and at what time    They will also advise how many days each menu stays so that you can do nights for each offering

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, rkmw said:

If you do Facebook if you put cruise PNG into the search bar and join the group they have a wealth of information there and where to get Kina 

Thank you, I'll have a look.

17 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Thanks I had read elsewhere to do that.