Knee and hip Replacements

teaach02

I have not cruised since 2019 due to Covid and several surgeries. In 2019 I had a knee replacement and this year I have had both hips replaced and am now booked on the Venezia in December 2023. I cannot wait to get back to cruising. Does anyone have any experience with x-ray machines and knee and hip  replacements? I was not given any ID cards that explain what type of replacement parts I have.

1 minute ago, princess76021 said:

I have had both my knees replaced and the only place that I have had any problems is the airport!!

On the ship y ou go through that scanner thing, it beeps, you point to your knees they want it then let you go!!

Hugs from Texas

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Cruisers are such helpful people!

• Like 1

I have two total knee replacements.  They beep at the airport and I tell them about my knees. They either: (1). Call an officer of my same gender to do a wand and pat-down.  It’s not very intrusive and very quick.  (2).  Sometimes they send me to the full body scanner instead of the wand and pat-down.  On the ship, I just point to my knees and they usually just pass a wand past my knees and send me on my way. No problem.

• Like 2

My sister had a hip replacement, never had a problem on the ship.  But airports were a nightmare because they would send her to the scanner, and she had essential tremors and couldn’t stand still with arms above head, so she had to be sanded, take off shoes, etc even though over 75.  EM

• Like 1

I've had both hips replaced along with spinal fusion, L3 to L5.  I have cadmium, titanium and cobalt parts, and always ask to go thru the scanner at the airport, which usually beeps and I get a quick pat down.

The ship's Xray may or may not pick up the parts, sometimes it beeps, sometimes it doesn't.  Again, a quick pat down if it does.

If I were the OP, I would ask the surgeon's office to send me a wallet sized card that would describe the last surgery, parts used, etc.

Edited by evandbob

I’ve had both hips replaced and been through the airport scanners (I was told the new ones are fine with hips - and they didn’t beep for me) and I’ve beeped at cruise ports. Just said both hips are replaced with titanium, a quick wand and they waved me through. Some ships beeped when I came back on after port stops and some didn’t. I just pointed at my hips and it was fine. I do have an ID card from my Ortho, but I’ve never had to produce it. I think the cruise ships are pretty used to hip and knee replacements!  One quick suggestion though - you may want to bring a foldable cane if your replacements are still new. Because your muscles are still recovering from the replacements AND from the fact that we walked funny while our hips were deteriorating and you’ll be walking in a vessel that is moving (even though you may not notice) you may find that your hips get tired and a cane for a bit might help. 

Have a great time and enjoy the ability to walk! It’s been a couple of years for me and I’m still thankful I can pop up and scoot around!

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

My sister had a hip replacement, never had a problem on the ship.  But airports were a nightmare because they would send her to the scanner, and she had essential tremors and couldn’t stand still with arms above head, so she had to be sanded, take off shoes, etc even though over 75.  EM

That's the reason I hate airports!!

The ship is fine, the airports area nightmare, not one but all!!

Hugs from Texas

• Like 1

17 hours ago, teaach02 said:

I have not cruised since 2019 due to Covid and several surgeries. In 2019 I had a knee replacement and this year I have had both hips replaced and am now booked on the Venezia in December 2023. I cannot wait to get back to cruising. Does anyone have any experience with x-ray machines and knee and hip  replacements? I was not given any ID cards that explain what type of replacement parts I have.

Hubby has two knees and one hip replaced, never an issue cruising. They just wand him it takes seconds and we are through.

• Like 1

Metal parts are no problem, when you have a spinal stimulator, pacemaker or other type of device with a battery implanted then you can't go through the medal detector. Been on 6 cruises and one international flight since installation and no one has ever asked for my card, they take my word for it and hand scan and pat me down.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, evandbob said:

I would ask the surgeon's office to send me a wallet sized card that would describe the last surgery, parts used, etc.

My doctors tell their patients there will be no card given out because anyone could counterfeit a card

TSA is always going to scan/wand/pat you down if the scanner shows metal.  As they should!!  The others above have described my experiences at the airport and ships as well.  You just expect the extra attention then go on your way to your cruise!!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

My doctors tell their patients there will be no card given out because anyone could counterfeit a card

TSA is always going to scan/wand/pat you down if the scanner shows metal.  As they should!!  The others above have described my experiences at the airport and ships as well.  You just expect the extra attention then go on your way to your cruise!!!

~Nancy

Sounds like we went to the same doctor!!

hugs from Texas

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, roguebandit1441 said:

Metal parts are no problem, when you have a spinal stimulator, pacemaker or other type of device with a battery implanted then you can't go through the medal detector. Been on 6 cruises and one international flight since installation and no one has ever asked for my card, they take my word for it and hand scan and pat me down.

When I had a port for a years worth of chem they sent me to a different X-Ray at the airport even with my card, but nothing on the cruise just pulled down the shirt a little two inch scar was obvious.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

When I had a port for a years worth of chem they sent me to a different X-Ray at the airport even with my card, but nothing on the cruise just pulled down the shirt a little two inch scar was obvious.

Said it before and I'll say it again airports suck,  thank heavens for cruising. Sail on people!!!!

Hugs from Texas!!

• Like 1

The big scar on your knee is a dead giveaway.  I too had a TKR in 2019, and the Carnival scanner always beep at me.  But as soon as I point they wave me along.  Weirdly, I've not encountered any other scanners in public that do beep...

Edited by CeleBrat