Questions about pre-cruise hotels in Seattle

thethreeofus

Any recommendations for hotel in Seattle? Should we book near the airport or near the cruise port. If near the airport, how do we get to the cruise port? If near the cruise port, how do we get from the airport to cruise port hotel?  I’ve tried researching, but can’t find anything updated.  Any suggestions are appreciated. 

We book hotels by the airport, either Hilton or Radisson. Seattle Express will be the shuttle I use. Reasonable pice and direct service. They do stop at a couple of other hotels in the area before going to the port. We  use Royal's shuttle to go from the ship to the airport.

We used Hilton Garden Inn Seattle Airport. There was a free airport shuttle to the hotel. I called the hotel before booking and was told we could sign up for a shuttle that would transport us to the cruise pier. I don’t remember the cost of the shuttle but it was reasonable. Both the hotel shuttle and the cruise pier shuttle were very timely. We would definitely use this hotel again. Our stay was July 2019.

• Like 1

Much better priced hotels by the airport, lots of them have free shuttle to hotel. Seattle express will pick you up from the hotel lobby and take you to the pier.  I think it was $25 per person.  Be sure to let the shuttle company know you need pier 91.  A couple on our shuttle needed to go to the downtown pier, don't know how it turned out.

We just got off the Ovation a week and a half ago. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites by the airport the night before. Free breakfast in the morning. Worked well! My dad booked us all (group of 9) on a shuttle service to the port. Lots of other cruisers got on our bus at the hotel too! It was seamless!

Downtown hotels by piers are ludicrously expensive. Definitely stay near the airport at a hotel with an airport shuttle and take Seattle Express to the pier. We stay at Courtyard by Marriott or Holiday Inn Express in Tukwila.

@thethreeofus  We have stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites - Seattle Downtown.  We have used public transportation (bus/metro) with convenient stops near the hotel to get to Pike's Market and the cruise port.  You can walk to the Space Needle Park if you have time before the cruise.  You can get an Orca card (order online) if you are a senior for discounted fares.  Sunset from the top of the Space Needle is great with clear skies.

• Like 1

I will echo the opinion to stay near the airport.  However, and I'm sorry to say that I don't remember the name of the shuttle service, the shuttle service that we contacted, booked, and confirmed as late as the night before the cruise, never showed up.  I called when the shuttle was supposed to be there and they said the driver called in sick and they were working on getting a replacement driver.  Needless to say, I was pissed.  The Concierge at the hotel (Crown Plaza (Okay hotel, nothing special)) called a Limo Company, and a big and beautiful black Suburban showed up about 5 minutes later, the driver was in a traditional "Chauffer" uniform, opened doors for the ladies, loaded the baggage, drove to the port directly (no other stops), offered bottled water, and we got to the pier at or before the time that we guessed we would be there with the original shuttle service.  It only cost us about $20.00 more than the Shuttle would have and a much better experience.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, we booked the Mediterranean Inn in Seattle for three nights before we embark on Quantum next year.  We've never been to Seattle and would like to take in some of the city before we leave on the ship.  Since we're flying in and are not planning to rent a vehicle, we wanted a more central location where we hope to be able to walk to some of the notable locations of Seattle.  This hotel is not cheap!  But, even a whole year out availability is scarce, I guess because of the Independence Day holiday so our choices were limited.  It does offer a shuttle to the pier for $10/person.

We're part of a group of 10, so I'm wondering if we could reserve a shuttle from the airport to the Med Inn.  And one again to carry us from the pier back to the airport for our departure...

Less expensive downtown hotels

The Moore - classic old hotel with funky elevator and rooms, no air conditioners, Concerts directly below you

The Belltown Inn - Free bikes, complimentary "locals" hanging-out in the area.

The Executive Hotel Pacific - NO

• Like 1

We stayed at Hotel Max, which was closer to the touristy stuff. It was an old building that had been renovated and had a very cool rock music vibe (not really our thing in particular, but was still interesting). It also had air conditionining, which not all of the older ones do. It was convenient for sight-seeing and a little cheaper than others. I'd stay there again.

14 hours ago, thethreeofus said:

Should we book near the airport or near the cruise port.

Neither, maybe?  There's not anything actually "near" the port.  Most recently we chose downtown (Hilton Garden Inn) for easy access to pre-cruise activities (Pike Place Market, Space Needle, Chihuly).  We used the light rail from the airport to Westlake Center (10 minute walk from hotel).  HGI advertised a private driver (VERY nice suburban) for transfer to Smith Cove.

• Like 1

I've stayed in the marriott by the airport for work and it's nice.  I also stayed in the residence inn by lake union for cruises because we needed 2 bedrooms and they had 2 bedroom suites for cheaper than 2 hotel rooms.  One year we were there during the fireworks on lake union and that was pretty cool because we could walk to the fireworks easily.    Staying downtown is very expensive.

17 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

We used Hilton Garden Inn Seattle Airport. There was a free airport shuttle to the hotel. I called the hotel before booking and was told we could sign up for a shuttle that would transport us to the cruise pier. I don’t remember the cost of the shuttle but it was reasonable. Both the hotel shuttle and the cruise pier shuttle were very timely. We would definitely use this hotel again. Our stay was July 2019.

Agree. I grew up in Seattle. Would not stay downtown. Area has gone down in recent years. Homeless population has exploded. If you do decide to stay downtown be very careful, after dark.

We stayed at the Airport Radisson. 13 Coins restaurant is right next door. Seattle Shuttle will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the pier. They will also be waiting for you upon returning to Seattle and transport you to airport.

14 hours ago, RB9643 said:

Downtown hotels by piers are ludicrously expensive. 

It depends...sometimes yes, sometimes no. Also depends on what "ludicrous" is. I just booked the Hyatt Regency in downtown Seattle, which is quite nice, for $225/nt in August. I found that very fair. 

10 hours ago, amby6063 said:

Anyone know of a good hotel in Seattle with parking? 

Pretty much every hotel in Seattle has parking or access to parking, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend (both on the hotel and on parking)

We have stayed at the Marriott Seattle Waterfront a few times.  We like the location as it looks out over the Sound and we can walk to many things downtown.  It is right near Pier 66 which is used by NCL.  You can sign up for a shuttle to the port for $10pp.

47 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

It depends...sometimes yes, sometimes no. Also depends on what "ludicrous" is. I just booked the Hyatt Regency in downtown Seattle, which is quite nice, for $225/nt in August. I found that very fair. 

Yes, "ludicrous" is subjective, and I shouldn't have used the term.  Your $225 is excellent for a nice downtown hotel in August.  When I booked (probably 6 months ago) at a Courtyard by the airport it was about $100 less.  Not so today.

We are headed to Seattle next month for a cruise on Quantum of the Seas.

Originally, we booked a hotel near the airport--Wingate by Wyndham...Got a fairly cheap price and it included breakfast.  Our original plan was hotel shuttle airport to hotel, Uber to the ship at Pier 91.  Then stuff started getting screwy.  The hotel changed its afilliation from Wyndham to Marriott and we had a difficult time confirming our reservation.  Marriott finally confirmed--but our included breakfast seemed to drop from the deal and there was now an extra charge.  I actually had a few soon-to-expire Marriott points, but could not apply them to this reservation without a major bump to "current" pricing...

Then, someone suggested NOT staying near the airport.   That pre-cruise Uber might be difficult, take a long timewith traffic and encounter surge pricing--The Quantum leaves on a Monday!

We looked around for alternatives.  Ended up canceling the airport hotel and booking the Fairfield Inn Downtown (a Marriott product, 7th and John, near the Space Needle).  Overall rates were not much higher than the airport options--and we were able to pay in part with those expiring Marriott points to bring our cost LOWER than what we would have spent at the airport.  And the Fairfield INCLUDES breakfast.  We'll get an Uber from the airport when we arrive on Sunday morning.  We can wander around Downtown for the afternoon and have dinner at a number of choices near the hotel (The airport hotel we had booked had very few restaurants in walking distance and we would likely have ended up taking a shuttle to the mall for a restaurant).  And, Monday morning, when we check out, it's only a 2.9 mile Uber ride to Pier 91!!!

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 7:48 PM, Backtocruising734986 said:

We just got off the Ovation a week and a half ago. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites by the airport the night before. Free breakfast in the morning. Worked well! My dad booked us all (group of 9) on a shuttle service to the port. Lots of other cruisers got on our bus at the hotel too! It was seamless!

What was the shuttle service he booked with?

On 7/11/2023 at 4:41 AM, Ret MP said:

I will echo the opinion to stay near the airport.  However, and I'm sorry to say that I don't remember the name of the shuttle service, the shuttle service that we contacted, booked, and confirmed as late as the night before the cruise, never showed up.  I called when the shuttle was supposed to be there and they said the driver called in sick and they were working on getting a replacement driver.  Needless to say, I was pissed.  The Concierge at the hotel (Crown Plaza (Okay hotel, nothing special)) called a Limo Company, and a big and beautiful black Suburban showed up about 5 minutes later, the driver was in a traditional "Chauffer" uniform, opened doors for the ladies, loaded the baggage, drove to the port directly (no other stops), offered bottled water, and we got to the pier at or before the time that we guessed we would be there with the original shuttle service.  It only cost us about $20.00 more than the Shuttle would have and a much better experience.  

Do you happen to remember who the limo service was?

Everyone keeps mentioning Seattle Shuttle.  I am trying to bring it up online but a bunch of private companies keep coming up but not "Seattle Shuttle."  Will someone please provide me with the exact name or website.  All the ones that pop up are wanting over $100 per person from Airport to pier.  Thank you