Would you take a 2 yr old plus 2 of 5 yr olds on a Regent Navigator Cruise ?

Frankly, we got off the Navigator for the first time not too long ago.  I really sat and thought about the ship and your question, and I would tend to say it’s not the best mix.  I have twin 7 year old grands that I take care of weekly and it is challenging to keep them happy and occupied every day during the summer.  I do a lot of planning to keep them occupied with fun things to do, and they are both actually pretty undemanding.  I think two five year olds would be harder.  The two year old would just require ongoing high maintenance.

I guess I would look at it from the parental perspective and I would say it would be the least enjoyable way to take an expensive R cruise because there is no children’s area.  (That I know of.)  And from the children’s perspective it would be like doing what you do at home but with less.  Those ages are certainly not going to enjoy or remember the magic of being on a ship for more than a few minutes.

Frankly, if I saw parents cruising with these ages, with no child care facilities or program, I would feel sorry for them!  You don’t mention where the stops would be or the number of sea days, and while ports would be a diversion, little ones don’t love being on buses…you could find kid friendly stuff in each port probably but then the parents aren’t getting to see and do things that are part of a cruise.

so, no, I don’t think it is a great idea….I personally wouldn’t care if kids were on my Regent cruise unless they were allowed to run around unsupervised and wailing at meals nonstop without being removed to either calm down or have an attitude adjustment,  🥰

I will also be interested to see what others say.  Disclaimer….we have been on only three R cruises.  Navigator, Splendor and Explorer.

Joanie

• Like 5

No. Wait let me think about it ……… No. I think it would be a waste of money. If you are set on taking them on a cruise pick one with a short duration and one that has something for them to do. Disney comes to mind. 

• Like 2

All above comments are my thoughts exactly ...currently on said cruise Rekyavick to Southamptom and theres a 2 Yr old boy clambering over every chair in Navigator coffee / bar ...2 girls 5 or 6 yr old were loose in Stars theatre bar on 6 dancing and prancing about  with parents taking no notice whatever in either case....

Seems the Parents have more money than sense to me !

• Like 3

When I see RSSC promo about "kids cruise free" or at a discounted rate, I run the other way and would NEVER book that cruise. When our kids were young, we took them on the main line cruiser companies with lots of activities for kids. Just my $.02 worth. Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

When I see RSSC promo about "kids cruise free" or at a discounted rate, I run the other way and would NEVER book that cruise. When our kids were young, we took them on the main line cruiser companies with lots of activities for kids. Just my $.02 worth. Different strokes for different folks.

My thoughts also. We cruised when our children were young and now with grandchildren, but on RC and CCL. We cruise alone on Regent so we can really enjoy the cruise!

Definitely not. Kids that age want to run and climb and have fun. There’s just nothing for them to do on the Navigator. 

I was on a cruise in the Med on the Voyager. There were three boy cousins with their Moms and Grandma. Kids were around 8 years old. Well, near the last day, the Moms had a loud argument by the pool, with 2 of the sisters yelling they wanted to take the boys on a Disney Cruise and how horrible the Regent cruise was for school aged kids. 

• Like 3

Plenty of Regent Captains and Officers have brought their families onboard for a cruise...not to mention plenty of clients. If you want to be with your family - bring them. From my experience, the kids that come on cruises are as well behaved, if not better, than the adults.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Plenty of Regent Captains and Officers have brought their families onboard for a cruise...not to mention plenty of clients. If you want to be with your family - bring them. From my experience, the kids that come on cruises are as well behaved, if not better, than the adults.

The Captain did have his wife and budding Pilot son age 7 on board out of New York..whole different level of incredibly respectful  behaviour though 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Captains wife and 7 yr old son were onboard out of New York ...totally impeccable behaviour was a joy to see 

I would like to join Pcardad in offering a contrarian viewpoint.  To me, the question depends on 2 factors.

The temperament of the kids

The willingness of the adults to see that the kids are not creating disturbances.

Several years ago, my wife was celebrating a milestone birthday, and wanted more than anything to take our (adult) children on a luxury cruise.  But our adult children came with a 2 1/2 year old grandson. 

We went for it, because we knew that our grandson was a pretty mellow kid, who for the most part was inclined to go with the flow, and there were ample adults present who would be ready, willing and able to extricate him in the event that he got out of hand.

We went on a Silversea cruise, we all had a wonderful time, including our little darling, who had the time of his little life.

OTOH, we now have a granddaughter, who, at that age, we would not have dared to take on a luxury line, as it would have been a disaster for all concerned.

Kids are not all the same.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

I would like to join Pcardad in offering a contrarian viewpoint.  To me, the question depends on 2 factors.

The temperament of the kids

The willingness of the adults to see that the kids are not creating disturbances.

Several years ago, my wife was celebrating a milestone birthday, and wanted more than anything to take our (adult) children on a luxury cruise.  But our adult children came with a 2 1/2 year old grandson. 

We went for it, because we knew that our grandson was a pretty mellow kid, who for the most part was inclined to go with the flow, and there were ample adults present who would be ready, willing and able to extricate him in the event that he got out of hand.

We went on a Silversea cruise, we all had a wonderful time, including our little darling, who had the time of his little life.

OTOH, we now have a granddaughter, who, at that age, we would not have dared to take on a luxury line, as it would have been a disaster for all concerned.

Kids are not all the same.

Absolutely true - I would add that ANY person, of any age, who cannot behave should not be on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We took our entire family on a HAL cruise for our 50th anniversary. This included six grandchildren. Five of the six ranged in age from 10 to 16. They were great and had a fabulous time.
The youngest was 2. It didn’t go well, mostly for the parents. The 2 year old was out of sorts the whole time, didn’t sleep well, was impatient at meals etc. 

A definite no, based on our experience. 

10 hours ago, labonnevie said:

We took our entire family on a HAL cruise for our 50th anniversary. This included six grandchildren. Five of the six ranged in age from 10 to 16. They were great and had a fabulous time.
The youngest was 2. It didn’t go well, mostly for the parents. The 2 year old was out of sorts the whole time, didn’t sleep well, was impatient at meals etc. 

A definite no, based on our experience. 

HAL   NCL, Princess, RCL etc etc are a whole different ball game to Regent, Seabourn  SS, Crystal which are basically 5/6 star and simply dont have facilities for children 

• Like 2

I only cruise on Regent and on Disney. Which line depends on who I'm cruising with. All the kids I want to cruise with would definitely prefer Disney. I was even hesitant to bring my 24 year old daughter on Regent, being worried she might be bored. Turned out I was wrong, she enjoyed it very much, but it was a port intensive Baltic cruise, so new locations each day.

Taking the grands (ages 3-10 currently) sounds like way too much work on a Regent cruise.

• Like 3

I haven't sailed Regent (yet) but my answer is still NO... but it's based on my experience taking young children on many cruise lines (Disney, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, maybe another that I can't recall?)

These were trips, not vacations.

When I was expecting my first child, I booked a cruise (scheduled to take place when she would be 8 months old). I remember so well the part of the conversation where the TA asked for the name and DOB...  I had to explain that the child was not yet born but I'd be happy to update her in the future.  We had a good laugh. 

We took our 8 month old daughter on a Disney cruise. This has to be among the biggest wastes of money I've ever spent in my life. Even on Disney there is very little to do with such a young child.

I now have two children and have sailed with them at nearly every age along the way (minus a 3 year COVID hiatus).  At age 1, 2, 3... it's exhausting.  It gets a little better as they get a bit older. My oldest is now a "tween" and she's easy enough, no problem, the younger one is still elementary school aged but it's not bad at all.  

Also, if there are only two adults- you will have NO alone time.  No quiet morning coffee, no jazz at night, no leisurely dinners.... Every moment of every day you will be otherwise occupied.  

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Like 1