Handicap Cabin Avaialbility $1 Deposit Day

mcrcruiser

To me it almost feels like the OP expects that HAL should hold his desired cabin with a free upgrade on the off chance they will want to take that cruise, and all cruise line should have a ship based in San Diego on the chance they may want to cruise on them.

It would seem that accessible cabins are quite popular, I think sometimes rude people who don't need the amenities book them for the extra room. Could it be they were all booked before the sale? Maybe they were booked during the sale by cruisers who need them and have every intention of doing the cruise. Perhaps they were waiting to take advantage of the sale and is upset that others (perhaps on a different time zone) pulled the trigger first.

• Like 4

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

To me it almost feels like the OP expects that HAL should hold his desired cabin with a free upgrade on the off chance they will want to take that cruise, and all cruise line should have a ship based in San Diego on the chance they may want to cruise on them.

It would seem that accessible cabins are quite popular, I think sometimes rude people who don't need the amenities book them for the extra room. Could it be they were all booked before the sale? Maybe they were booked during the sale by cruisers who need them and have every intention of doing the cruise. Perhaps they were waiting to take advantage of the sale and is upset that others (perhaps on a different time zone) pulled the trigger first.

There are many possibilities why certain  levels of xabins are unavailableWe expect nothing ,Having done close to 100 cruises I learned a very long time ago don't wish for a miracle , It's not there but ,it did happen once . As far as other lines sailing from SD ,we can hope that it happens & we can also hope for different  itineraries . Perhaps when MSC comes to the west coast there will be more to choose .However ,we would never sail on them unless we booked into the Yacht Club .Reason is we have family & friends in Florida who tried MSC in the non Yacht club class .They said the ships are gorgeous but ,it ends there  

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Can you actually book a handicap cabin without some proof of need?  I don't know but I thought I'd read that on here.

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Can you actually book a handicap cabin without some proof of need?  I don't know but I thought I'd read that on here.

If we go to the HAL web site some times there us a disclaimer of need that a person  must sign , We would hope any one not handicapped  would try to book a handicap cabin because they are larger .Reason for the size is to be able to turn a scooter ot wheel chair around in the room .Then the bath rooms must have all kinds of grab bars  & no steps to get into a shower .The shower must have a fold up seat  in the shower area as well .To get to the balcony there is a ramp .you do not walk over a  threshold 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

And then what happens when all the higher category accessible cabins are booked. Is it because the sensible cruisers booked with the $1 deposit and were a bit looser with the purse strings than OP?   Whoa, that could lead another thread......

You are correct    The VA category handicap are on deck 8 ,the V category ithe most expensive are on deck 5  on Koningsdam  .We could book directly into a V or VA but why c do that initially if you can book a lower cost VH & the use Club Orange to upgrade 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

You are correct    The VA category handicap are on deck 8 ,the V category ithe most expensive are on deck 5  on Koningsdam  .We could book directly into a V or VA but why c do that initially if you can book a lower cost VH & the use Club Orange to upgrade 

Apparently you would do that so you get a cabin?

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don't know, but perhaps they block the HC cabins on the website so you can only book through a TA or PCC. It's tricky because they can't ask for proof of need (hipaa rules), but they can ask you what accessibile features you need. 

I remember years ago seeing posts like "I scored a BIG room by booking a HC cabin!" from people who admitted they didn't NEED it, just wanted the space. Boy, did that get some angry responses, and rightly so. Perhaps HAL has realized that they should control the HC inventory more closely.

Please note, I have no reference or data to site for this comment. Only that I haven't seen anyone brag about booking a HC cabin without any need for it. 

• Like 1

Don't put your words in my    mouth i.all I indicated is we could if we wanted to book into a higher handicap category ;but m we don't do it because imo  the cruise is not worth that extra cost.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't know, but perhaps they block the HC cabins on the website so you can only book through a TA or PCC. It's tricky because they can't ask for proof of need (hipaa rules), but they can ask you what accessibile features you need. 

I remember years ago seeing posts like "I scored a BIG room by booking a HC cabin!" from people who admitted they didn't NEED it, just wanted the space. Boy, did that get some angry responses, and rightly so. Perhaps HAL has realized that they should control the HC inventory more closely.

Please note, I have no reference or data to site for this comment. Only that I haven't seen anyone brag about booking a HC cabin without any need for it. 

Yes indeed there should be a very angry response .In fact ,taking a handicap spot  in a parking lot with out a handicap placard will cost the offender plenty of $  in a  traffic ticket . Handicap parking spots & handicap cabins are reserved for people who are handicap & need them 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thank you.  I'm a huge believer in karma so I could never do such a thing.  It's hard to fathom someone would but I totally believe it.

We have come to the conclusion ,we will join it vs fight it  . We arec fitunate to have 2 of 3 saukungs with a handicap cabin . so for this 3rd xruise we will use the Celebrity booking B2B2B as a  substitute ,

End of this saga

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The Americans with Disabilities Act explicitly requires that accessible cabins be able to be booked in the same manner, means, and times as non-accessible cabins. That’s a good thing overall. I would not want to have to spend 6 hours on hold to wait for an agent when a non-disabled individual can book a cabin in 2 minutes via the web. The same rule applies to concert tickets, but many venues don’t comply, resulting in lots and lots of time on the phone for otherwise simple tasks.

The ADA allows for documentation to be required if the benefit received at no cost would, without an accommodation need, have a fee associated with it (such as a parking placard). 

HIPAA has nothing to do with this. HIPAA limits what medical information a Covered Entity like a doctor, hospital, or insurance company can disclose with and without a patient’s authorization.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, highscar said:

I have a 3 wheel mobility scooter and have no trouble getting into and turning in a regular balcony cabin.  Have done it for years.   

The doorways in regular cabins are not wide   ,.Perhaps your 3 wheel scllter is one of those narrow ones .The Pride 4 wheel nobility scooter is 20 inches wife & 39 inches ling  .This size scooter will not fit into a regular stateroom doorway . Mt mobility scooter supports my weight & that is another   important fact people must keep in mind when ordering a mobility scooter . .Now there are even folding mobility scooters that can be pulled like a piece of   luggage .They open & fold  by the push of a button .Those  types of scooters were not available when we purchased my scooter for $2200.  Additionally my scooter does disassemble  into 5 parts to store into a vehicle 

2 minutes ago, highscar said:

Same width of mine and room to spare.  Also a Pride go go.  4 wheel and 3 are the same width.  

There is absolutely no possible way for us to use a standard cabin . How can you get the scooter between the end if the bed & the wall  ,how can you turn the scooter around  for charging  purposes, In my case it would be impossible & I can prove that fact.  Now my DW needs the grab bars that are in handicap cabins as she really needs a knee replacement & is putting it off . At out ahes mid 80s many things happen to our bodies

I’m the same age. I do admit it takes patience to go around the bed but the pinnacles are much easier with the angled cabinet. Yes a three wheel is a bonus for turning.  A three wheel turn in a glass elevator.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

There is absolutely no possible way for us to use a standard cabin . How can you get the scooter between the end if the bed & the wall  ,how can you turn the scooter around  for charging  purposes, In my case it would be impossible & I can prove that fact.  Now my DW needs the grab bars that are in handicap cabins as she really needs a knee replacement & is putting it off . At out ahes mid 80s many things happen to our bodies

I'm a long way from my eighties and I can tell you everyday is a new exercise in what hurts/doesn't work like it did yesterday  😀

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

What the OP has chosen to not tell us about here is that he already had a handicapped cabin booked on the Konigsdam for the 1/28/25 cruise nearly three weeks ago but chose to cancel it two days later.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2947262-jan-28-2025-18-day-hawaii-cruise-from-san-diego-ca/ 

Oops, busted.

• Haha 7

We had friends who weren’t handicapped assigned a Handicap room.   The space was nice, but they were told if someone who needed it came along, they would have to be moved to another cabin.  So I think HAL is aware of this issue. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We had friends who weren’t handicapped assigned a Handicap room.   The space was nice, but they were told if someone who needed it came along, they would have to be moved to another cabin.  So I think HAL is aware of this issue. 

I know that a business doesn't want to leave a cabin or hotel room sitting empty, but I always feel guilty when I get a HC room in a hotel, like I'm taking it away from someone who needs it.

A friend got reassigned to a HC cabin on a cruise last fall when ships were still holding blocks of cabins for covid quarantine. Her original cabin was in that block, so they found her something else. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Unless they were assigned that cabin after final payment, I have to tell you it doesn't work that way. Once an accessible cabin is booked (removed from inventory), it is gone. When an able-bodied person books it, they have potentially taken it from a handicapped person. 
When the cabin is assigned, after final payment to a guarantee booking, then all bets are off. HAL's need to fill the cabin takes priority at that point. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I know that a business doesn't want to leave a cabin or hotel room sitting empty, but I always feel guilty when I get a HC room in a hotel, like I'm taking it away from someone who needs it.

A friend got reassigned to a HC cabin on a cruise last fall when ships were still holding blocks of cabins for covid quarantine. Her original cabin was in that block, so they found her something else. 

If they are vacant there is no harm in taking them.  Chase travel via Expedia has a deal where those patrons who select the “deal” always get the handicap room if that is what is remaining.   I have gotten the handicap room countless times and I have been sure that my profile selection is correct, that is not handicapped.  HAL also books handicap with the same premise.   If no one “needs” it you can have it but you may be bumped.  This is what I was told for many years 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1