CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE BEGINS FLEETWIDE ROLLOUT OF NEW DINING ROOM OFFERINGS

BlerkOne

On 7/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, rainbowflag said:

Carnival announced 2 days ago the horrible strip loin steak on the every day menu in the MDR has been replaced with the flat iron steak they used to serve. If not familiar, you may want to google the flat iron. Some beef lovers will find it interesting reading how this cut was "discovered". We're hoping the flat iron will also be served with the steak and eggs entrée at the seaday brunch. 

Thank goodness! The strip loin was terrible. Love a good flat iron.

Where did they announce this?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EdmundXXIII said:

The Brand Ambassador said it last week, mentioned the Senior Food VP Richard had made the decision. I haven't seen an updated menu with the flat iron as yet but I do believe it's coming.

I mentioned in several of my surveys to Carnival last year that the striploin was a nasty piece of beef with its sinew, gristle and fat rendering it inedible. I'd like to think I played my part for the change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

The Brand Ambassador said it last week, mentioned the Senior Food VP Richard had made the decision. I haven't seen an updated menu with the flat iron as yet but I do believe it's coming.

I mentioned in several of my surveys to Carnival last year that the striploin was a nasty piece of beef with its sinew, gristle and fat rendering it inedible. I'd like to think I played my part for the change.

Bravo!

Do you know if it’s fleet wide now, or just on the ships with the new menu? I dug through Heald’s Facebook and didn’t see anything about it.

You are totally right about the striploin. Tough, chewy, with poor flavor. I wonder where in the cow it comes from.

I had it on the Horizon in 2021, and I couldn’t finish it. Tried it again on the Splendor in ‘22, hoping it was a fluke before. Again, it was so bad I didn’t finish it.

I’m going on the Magic in September, so I hope they offer it then! If not, I’ll just avoid the steak option in the MDR.

6 hours ago, EdmundXXIII said:

It was posted on July 18th, we're not supposed to mention that website here so I won't and won't paste it here or link. It's there if you want to dig. 

51 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

It was posted on July 18th, we're not supposed to mention that website here so I won't and won't paste it here or link. It's there if you want to dig. 

You can mention the site, just not refer links to cruise group roll calls etc.

I'm mostly pretty excited for the new menus. I'm hoping they make it to the Spirit for my December cruise, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think the entree selections are definitely a step up from the current set of menus, but (at least for me personally) the starters are not as good. With the current menus, there would be a few nights when I wanted to try 3-4 different starters because they were all things I liked. With these new menus, I won't have that problem. But, there's still good options on there. Just not as many.

• Like 2

So  I  was  folowing John Heald 's posts  on  FB and  he  leaked  a  menu night  each  day . I  think  there  might  have  been  something  wrong  with those  posts  because  both  elegant  night  menus were  identical  except  for  one  entree . The  first  had  rhe  Shrimp  and  Fishcake   as  an  entree  and  the  2nd  had  lobster . All  the  other  items  including  deserts  were  the  same  on  both  that  he posted  .

37 minutes ago, sra12574 said:

So  I  was  folowing John Heald 's posts  on  FB and  he  leaked  a  menu night  each  day . I  think  there  might  have  been  something  wrong  with those  posts  because  both  elegant  night  menus were  identical  except  for  one  entree . The  first  had  rhe  Shrimp  and  Fishcake   as  an  entree  and  the  2nd  had  lobster . All  the  other  items  including  deserts  were  the  same  on  both  that  he posted  .

One of those was the elegant night menus that will be on longer sailings (six nights or more) and it included lobster. The other one was for shorters sailings and it doesn't include lobster.

15 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

One of those was the elegant night menus that will be on longer sailings (six nights or more) and it included lobster. The other one was for shorters sailings and it doesn't include lobster.

I  know  the  shorter   cruises  dont  include  lobster  but  his  post  said  that  he  was  going to  preview  what  a  7  day  menu  would  look  like  . The  Dream  does  an  8  day  sailing  so  when   they  released  that ,  it  also  had  2  cruise  elegant  night  "feast  menus" the  first  one  was  completely  different  from the  2nd  one   which  has  the  lobster on  it . The  first  one  had  escargot , chicken alfredo , duet of  filet mignon and  short  rib ,  2  different  Emerils items  I think  a  tuna  appetizer  and  a  bbq  salmon  entree ,  different  desserts  including  grand  marnier souflee , and  chocolate  panacotta . Although  I do  like  some  of  the  offereings  on  the  menus  he  posted  on FB for  the  elegant  nights  I prefer  to  have  variety  on  my  main  dining  experiences. With the  old  menus  the  formal  night dinner  just  was   the  version  of  the  elehant night  without  the  lobster  not  the   lobster  being  switched  out  menu . I  could  see  them  using that menu on  a  shorter  sailing  like   on  the  Conquest  which I  think only  has  4  and  3  day cruises  now  but  when  theres  2  formal nights it  would  be  nice  to  have  different offerings .

38 minutes ago, carib1 said:

I am not a fan of the new menus, there seems to be a lot of fish and seafood. I am allergic, so this really limits my choices.  

Curious about the limitations on the new menus?  What is missing from the old menus?  Asking for a friend likes red wine food 😉

45 minutes ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

Does anyone know if the new menus will be used for our August 13th cruise on the Mardi Gras? I read they'll debut in August, just wondering if we had specific dates?

I have not seen any dates tied to ships

On 7/29/2023 at 9:22 AM, carib1 said:

I am not a fan of the new menus, there seems to be a lot of fish and seafood. I am allergic, so this really limits my choices.  

If Emeril is in charge of revamping the menu there are going to be new seafood items. As it absolutely should! 

Otherwise, it would be like putting Paul Hollywood in charge of desserts and saying everything has to be gluten free. 

• Like 1

I asked AI about Emeril and...  (Emeril isn't from Louisiana - he hails from Fall River, MA)

As an AI language model, I don't have real-time data, and my knowledge is up to September 2021. Emeril Lagasse, a renowned American chef, is known for his diverse cooking style and expertise in various cuisines, including seafood and beef dishes. Throughout his career, he has prepared a wide range of dishes, and it's difficult to determine definitively whether he cooks more seafood or beef dishes without access to the latest data.

Historically, Emeril Lagasse has incorporated both seafood and beef in his cooking, as well as other types of cuisine. He hails from Louisiana, where seafood is a significant part of the local culinary tradition, so he has a strong connection to seafood dishes. However, he is also known for his skill in cooking beef and other meats.

12 hours ago, mvaygibson said:

I agree

I also agree about the increase in seafood. We don’t like it so it is limiting to see so many options. However, I’m happy for the fish and seafood lovers getting more now!   It seems like people either really love it or despise it. 

• Like 2

One dish Emeril must have a hand in, is Natchitoches Meat Pies. I spy Coffee Glazed Duck on a menu. The Jambalya pasta has shrimp, but also has chicken and sausage.The Antipasti app has no seafood. Chicken Roulade - no seafood. Beef dishes available on Elegant Nights. It seems kind of balanced to me.

• Like 5

I don't really see an increased emphasis on seafood either. Most nights, there are 1-2 main dishes that are seafood/fish. Which is pretty much what it's always been. Especially when you consider that the "everyday selections" used to always have a fish dish (usually salmon) and now those items appear to be limited to only chicken and beef. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I asked AI about Emeril and...  (Emeril isn't from Louisiana - he hails from Fall River, MA)

As an AI language model, I don't have real-time data, and my knowledge is up to September 2021. Emeril Lagasse, a renowned American chef, is known for his diverse cooking style and expertise in various cuisines, including seafood and beef dishes. Throughout his career, he has prepared a wide range of dishes, and it's difficult to determine definitively whether he cooks more seafood or beef dishes without access to the latest data.

Historically, Emeril Lagasse has incorporated both seafood and beef in his cooking, as well as other types of cuisine. He hails from Louisiana, where seafood is a significant part of the local culinary tradition, so he has a strong connection to seafood dishes. However, he is also known for his skill in cooking beef and other meats.

And known for BANG

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Lizzie Borden was from Fall River. It can't be coincidence that the striploin steak that Emeril is taking off the menu needed an axe taken to it to find the one bite of decent beef in it. 🙂 

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

Lizzie Borden was from Fall River. It can't be coincidence that the striploin steak that Emeril is taking off the menu needed an axe taken to it to find the one bite of decent beef in it. 🙂 

SUrely. You are not suggesting that it is not the most tender cut of meat offered….