CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE BEGINS FLEETWIDE ROLLOUT OF NEW DINING ROOM OFFERINGS

BlerkOne

I agree that there seems to be a lot more seafood especially the appetizers. On most days there are 2 "warm" fish/seafood apps and shrimp cocktail, and the non-seafood choices are just salads and soups. There used to be 2 non-seafood appetizers on most days.

• Like 1

So, I thought this whole "is there more seafood or not on the new menus" debate could be easily determined. I just went over the new menus and the old ones and compared. I'll put the breakdown below, but basically, it's very similar, but there was more seafood selections before - unless you want to quibble with what I classified as seafood. I used a fairly broad definition that included frog legs, alligator, crawfish, catfish and escargot. If you exclude some/part of those then the numbers get skewed a little, but not much. One other thing I didn't do was double-count the three seafood pasta dishes on the new menus. They're listed as both starters and mains. If you want to double-count them, then it makes the average number of seafood dishes on the current and new menus almost identical.

If I missed or excluded something, please let me know and I'll edit/update this. Thanks!

Current menus

Night 1 

3 Starters (shrimp cocktail, fried calamari, cured salmon)

3 Mains (Sweet & sour shrimp, grilled mahi mahi, grilled salmon)

Night 2 

2 Starters (shrimp cocktail, fried oysters)

3 Mains (Striped bass, lobster tail, grilled salmon)

Night 3

3 Starters (Shrimp cocktail, civiche, escargot)

2 Mains (Grilled tilapia, grilled salmon)

Night 4 

1 Starter (shrimp cocktail)

2 Mains (salmon cake, grilled barramundi)

Night 5

3 Starters (shrimp cocktail, steamed mussels, alligator beignets)

2 Mains (shrimp creole, grilled salmon)

Night 6

3 Starters (shrimp cocktail, crab cake, clam chowder)

3 Mains (garlic shrimp, teriyaki salmon, grilled barramundi)

Night 7

3 Starters (shrimp cocktail, fried shrimp, frog legs)

2 Mains (Penne mariscos, grilled salmon)

That's a total of 17 starters and 17 mains. So, an average of about 2.4 starters and 2.4 mains each night.

New Menus

Night 1 

2 Starters (shrimp cocktail, crawfish strudel)

2 Mains (BBQ salmon, szechuan shrimp)

Night 2

2 Starters (shrimp cocktail, calamari)

4 Mains (herb-crusted salmon, tuna nicoise, crawfish fettuchini, shrimp & fish cake/lobster)

Night 3

2 Starters (shrimp cocktail, crab & shrimp cake)

2 Mains (grilled sword fish, baby shrimp salad)

Night 4

2 Starters (shrimp cocktail, shrimp poke)

1 Main (cast iron bronzed fish)

Night 5

2 Starters (frog legs, shrimp cocktail)

2 mains (Penne mariscos, pan seared barramundi)

Night 6

2 Starters (shrimp cocktail, ceviche crudo)

3 Mains (fried catfish, linguine and clams, smoked salmon salad)

So that's a total of 12 starters and 14 mains. So, an average of 2 starters each night and 2.3 mains each night.

Edited by MisterOJ2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

If I missed or excluded something, please let me know and I'll edit/update this. Thanks!

There's anchovy in the Caesar Dressing which appears on both menus so that's a push but the little anchovies deserve an honorable mention.

We will miss the steamed mussels but there are new foods to explore and we will. You spent some time with this project and we thank you.

Edited by rainbowflag
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

So, I thought this whole "is there more seafood or not on the new menus" debate could be easily determined. I just went over the new menus and the old ones and compared. I'll put the breakdown below, but basically, it's very similar, but there was more seafood selections before - unless you want to quibble with what I classified as seafood. I used a fairly broad definition that included frog legs, alligator, crawfish, catfish and escargot. If you exclude some/part of those then the numbers get skewed a little, but not much. One other thing I didn't do was double-count the three seafood pasta dishes on the new menus. They're listed as both starters and mains. If you want to double-count them, then it makes the average number of seafood dishes on the current and new menus almost identical.

Current menus

Night 1 

Night 2 

Night 3

Night 4 

Night 5

Night 6

Night 7

That's a total of 17 starters and 17 mains. So, an average of about 2.4 starters and 2.4 mains each night.

New Menus

Night 1 

Night 2

4 Mains (herb-crusted salmon, tuna nicoise, crawfish fettuchini, shrimp & fish cake/lobster)

Night 3

Night 4

Night 5

Night 6

So that's a total of 12 starters and 14 mains. So, an average of 2 starters each night and 2.3 mains each night.

The numbers you mention may be similar for new/old menus, but they took away quite a few non-seafood items (mostly the "warm" appetizers and left mostly salads and soups for non-seafood/fish eaters).

Edited by cruises42

19 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

The numbers you mention may be similar for new/old menus, but they took away quite a few non-seafood items (mostly the "warm" appetizers and left mostly salads and soups for non-seafood/fish eaters).

It was way overdo for a change.  When change happens some embrace it but the simple fact is people by nature a reticent to accept it.  These things to shall pass, enjoy the parts you like. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

Current menus

Night 1 

Night 2 

Night 3

Night 4 

Night 5

Night 6

Night 7

New Menus

Night 1 

Night 2

Night 3

Night 4

Night 5

Night 6

Rumack:Whar was it that we had for dinner tonight?

Elaine Dickinson: It was a choice between steak and fish.

Rumack: Yes, Yes I remember I had…

…Lasagna

😂

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Brand Ambassador John Heald posted on his FB page about the updated timeline for the rollout of the new MDR menus.  Here's the timeline:

Carnival-new-MDR-menu-rollout-schedule.thumb.jpg.731660ad07b9d91a8a55068eeac1e194.jpg

He mentioned in his post that the Luminosa and Splendor are scheduled to get it at the start of 2024.

Thank you, YEESSSSSSS We board Mardi Gras on 8/19!

• Thanks 2

I'm pretty excited that I'll get the new menus on my Christmas cruise on the Spirit.

Has anyone seen a second elegant night menu posted anywhere? So far, I've only seen two variations of the same menu - one with lobster and one without, which I assume means the first will be on loner cruises and the second on shorter ones?

• Thanks 1

I'm a pretty picky eater myself, but I have rarely gone to the MDR and not been able to find something on the menu I would eat. The new menus seem to be, IMO, a bit more varied, and bringing back a few things that I liked that had disappeared. Like crab cakes. Hopefully GOOD crab cakes, with actual lump crab meat. I would love to try out the new menus, but it's going to be a while...😟

• Like 1

Since Dream did the original testing in June, and is not listed in JH’s post,ndonwe know if they have remained implemented on the Dream?  A post from page one seems to indicate that but I may have misread that.

im a New Orleans girl, so I love Emeril!

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

12 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Brand Ambassador John Heald posted on his FB page about the updated timeline for the rollout of the new MDR menus.  Here's the timeline:

Carnival-new-MDR-menu-rollout-schedule.thumb.jpg.731660ad07b9d91a8a55068eeac1e194.jpg

He mentioned in his post that the Luminosa and Splendor are scheduled to get it at the start of 2024.

Shoot!  I cruise on Venezia on 11/30 and it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting the new menus.  😔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on the 10/19 Sunshine sailing…very first sailing with the new menu. Not sure I am excited about that.  First, the new menu isn’t grabbing me so much.  And second, being the Guinea pig for their very first time!

Has anyone else sailed on the first sailing with the new menu?  Would love to hear some thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Drew B 58 said:

Shoot!  I cruise on Venezia on 11/30 and it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting the new menus.  😔

We're on Venezia in Sept - maybe no more MDR, it's all buffet, all the time!! Those Venezia diners are going to learn how to navigate a buffet line if it kills 'em, lol 😆 😂