CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE BEGINS FLEETWIDE ROLLOUT OF NEW DINING ROOM OFFERINGS

BlerkOne

8 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

Carnival announced 2 days ago the horrible strip loin steak on the every day menu in the MDR has been replaced with the flat iron steak they used to serve. If not familiar, you may want to google the flat iron. Some beef lovers will find it interesting reading how this cut was "discovered". We're hoping the flat iron will also be served with the steak and eggs entrée at the seaday brunch. 

That's pretty big news.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 3

I am REALLY REALLY hoping the new menus will be expanded to the Sunshine before our October cruise! 🤞

I love seeing the Pumpkin Soup and Escargot back on the menus and there are many other new offerings that looking intriguing to me! Plus it was beyond time for a general menu refresh anyway! Plus I've seen Cheesecake and Key Lime Pie back on the dessert menus! I rarely got dessert on our cruises (unless just a scoop of ice cream) as none really appealed to me and try as I might, the Melting Cake just doesn't do it for me...but Cheesecake and Key Lime Pie are two of my favorite desserts! 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rainbowflag said:

We're hoping the flat iron will also be served with the steak and eggs entrée at the seaday brunch. 

So this is what I read an hour before I get to break for lunch?!  Now that's all I can think of...thanks 😞

But seriously, that would be awesome!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MistyRo76 said:

Key Lime Pie are two of my favorite desserts! 🙂

Carnival will now serve both desserts in the MDR and in the buffet. Unfortunately, in the past few years we have noticed both desserts in the buffet are made with gelatin. With the cheesecake this is done to use less cream cheese and with the pie they can use less sweetened condensed milk.

They save money but the true price we pay is with a poor quality product, e.g. you should not be able to press down on a slice of cheesecake and watch it bounce back up! 

Edited by rainbowflag
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, rainbowflag said:

Carnival announced 2 days ago the horrible strip loin steak on the every day menu in the MDR has been replaced with the flat iron steak they used to serve. If not familiar, you may want to google the flat iron. Some beef lovers will find it interesting reading how this cut was "discovered". We're hoping the flat iron will also be served with the steak and eggs entrée at the seaday brunch. 

That is great news and a good decision for them.  I had more bad experiences with the strip loin than good. 

I do hope they evaluate the brunch steak and eggs, it will never replace the wonderful filet that was once served but it would certainly be a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 2:54 AM, rainbowflag said:

Carnival will now serve both desserts in the MDR and in the buffet. Unfortunately, in the past few years we have noticed both desserts in the buffet are made with gelatin. With the cheesecake this is done to use less cream cheese and with the pie they can use less sweetened condensed milk.

They save money but the true price we pay is with a poor quality product, e.g. you should not be able to press down on a slice of cheesecake and watch it bounce back up! 

That's useful information. Thanks. My husband has Alpha Gal Mammalian Meat Allergy (caused by a tick bite) which can be life threatening, and gelatin is one of the hidden ingredients he needs to avoid.  It's sometimes used in deserts you don't expect it in.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2023 at 12:54 PM, rainbowflag said:

oh, gross.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:21 PM, Tiger0613 said:

I hate this.  I refuse to go to the dining room now that they are getting rid of the strawberry soup.  Since the service has been really crappy since January 2022, I was only going to go for the strawberry soup on the first night and then leave after eating it.

That's pretty sad actually.  Out of ALL the choices on the menu, you've only gone for the strawberry soup?  Wow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ray98 said:

That is great news and a good decision for them.  I had more bad experiences with the strip loin than good. 

I do hope they evaluate the brunch steak and eggs, it will never replace the wonderful filet that was once served but it would certainly be a step in the right direction.

We agree, the filet at brunch was excellent and the best cut of beef on the ship that was included in the cruise fare. It was a nice 6oz portion after cooking and always satisfied. 

The flat iron will be much better than the strip loin. Flat irons, as you may know, have sinew connective tissue which must be carefully excised when butchered or it will be very tough. When I got a tough one over the years I would politely ask for another and it would be replaced without question. When properly butchered the flat iron is nearly as tender as filet provided it is cooked medium rare. Longer cooking times can also make it tough.

Edited by rainbowflag
  • Like 2

We have had some of these items on the Dream.  Nice to have some new additions.   So glad bitter and Blanc continues, it is my favorite desert, but it is usually available only one night.  I do hope the service improves, though.  It was painfully slow on our last two sailings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Do we know if the menus are being tweeked from what was posted in the announcement on the Dream test of the menus?  Since I don't think you can see the menus in the Carnival app, any way to see if they are changed?

Thanks.

You’ll have to wait until onboard, or if someone shares a new menu from current sailing. 

6 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Do we know if the menus are being tweeked from what was posted in the announcement on the Dream test of the menus?  Since I don't think you can see the menus in the Carnival app, any way to see if they are changed?

Thanks.

Yes, they are. On a cruise you can see the menus.

Here is one showing a variation of strawberry soup and the cheese plate

e1.jpg

• Like 3