First time RC cruiser and already off to a negative start

Back story:   We are traveling with another family and their extended family starting this weekend.

We already pre-booked our beverage package, but were waiting till the other family made their decision on the dining package. They ended up not doing any sort of dining package (but waited to the last minute) so we logged in last night with about an hour plus to spare (according to their countdown timer)  to purchase and make reservations.

The 'reserve' button was greyed out and we were told to call.

We called, and even though it stated on the website we still had over 45 minutes left to pay and book we were told "Not available". Even when it was pointed out, the person on the phone seemed unmoved and didn't explain WHY, just that we couldn't. It was a bit annoying, even if we were told that all the reservations were booked we would be a bit understanding as people were making the final dash to get their reservations.

As per the website this AM, it says we have to wait till we board to make any reservations for specialty dining. I guess the customer service desk will be our first destination post-boarding....  Bit annoyed. As long time NCL travelers, we opted for RC as that was what our friends requested. We shall see how we are treated on board after we speak with the customer service reps.

I could understand your frustration with RCL. I would also be unhappy with the family I was waiting on to have me waiting until last minute and then deciding they are not doing the dining passage. Lesson to be learnt here.

Hopefully your cruise is fantastic and this hump is quickly forgotten.  

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, goneclear said:

I could understand your frustration with RCL. I would also be unhappy with the family I was waiting on to have me waiting until last minute and then deciding they are not doing the dining passage. Lesson to be learnt here.

Oh, I (not sure about the other half) am.  But I expected better from RCL, but as you said, lesson learned.

As soon as you get onboard, you will be able to purchase the dining pkg. that you want and then you can make reservations through the RCL app.
There will be a table on the way to boarding the ship or once onboard, near the entrance to where you board, where they are selling the different dining pkgs.

Have fun on your cruise!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Back story:   We are traveling with another family and their extended family starting this weekend.

We already pre-booked our beverage package, but were waiting till the other family made their decision on the dining package. They ended up not doing any sort of dining package (but waited to the last minute) so we logged in last night with about an hour plus to spare (according to their countdown timer)  to purchase and make reservations.

The 'reserve' button was greyed out and we were told to call.

We called, and even though it stated on the website we still had over 45 minutes left to pay and book we were told "Not available". Even when it was pointed out, the person on the phone seemed unmoved and didn't explain WHY, just that we couldn't. It was a bit annoying, even if we were told that all the reservations were booked we would be a bit understanding as people were making the final dash to get their reservations.

As per the website this AM, it says we have to wait till we board to make any reservations for specialty dining. I guess the customer service desk will be our first destination post-boarding....  Bit annoyed. As long time NCL travelers, we opted for RC as that was what our friends requested. We shall see how we are treated on board after we speak with the customer service reps.

That had nothing to do with the 45 minute countdown timer.  The dining package was just sold out.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That had nothing to do with the 45 minute countdown timer.  The dining package was just sold out.

Then they could have said so? Rather than giving a non answer answer? 

"We're sorry that this is an inconvenience to you. At this time I am showing that the packages were all sold out. "

Hell, I'd even take "You two are late to the table. Too bad, but the packages are sold out"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buccaneergirl said:

As soon as you get onboard, you will be able to purchase the dining pkg. that you want and then you can make reservations through the RCL app.
There will be a table on the way to boarding the ship or once onboard, near the entrance to where you board, where they are selling the different dining pkgs.

Have fun on your cruise!

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

"We're sorry that this is an inconvenience to you. At this time I am showing that the packages were all sold out. "

Hell, I'd even take "You two are late to the table. Too bad, but the packages are sold out"

Unfortunately that is typical of the phone reps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Did you not read what I posted? 

The OP waited too long. The offer was no longer available. Could have sold out that day, could have sold out weeks ago. The bottom line is "snooze lose" and the OP lost. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AlaskaGoer said:

I guess the customer service desk will be our first destination post-boarding....  Bit annoyed. As long time NCL travelers, we opted for RC as that was what our friends requested. We shall see how we are treated on board after we speak with the customer service reps.

Like NCL, guest services is not the place to try to buy a dining package or make reservations on embarkation day. And like NCL, if you wait to long, things will sell out. The challenge is that Royal has been offering you "sale sale sale" specials since the day you booked. Now you have to pay full retail price for the package. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Like NCL, guest services is not the place to try to buy a dining package or make reservations on embarkation day. And like NCL, if you wait to long, things will sell out. The challenge is that Royal has been offering you "sale sale sale" specials since the day you booked. Now you have to pay full retail price for the package. 

Full retail price vs not being able to book is a insignificant at this point.

Edited by AlaskaGoer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, goneclear said:

I wouldn't have waited that long. If I'm waiting on someone else to make a decision, my cut-off for their answer would have been way before the final hour. 

They could have bought the dining package a long time ago and then just canceled it if their travel partners changed their minds about their own plans. I don't think it's fair to blame RC or the travel buddies, this was 100% in the OP's control. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I (not sure about the other half) am.  But I expected better from RCL, but as you said, lesson learned.

Had you been on cc you would know 48 hours or more all the planner items are closed to buy. Always. Every single cruise. How can you br mad at rcl for their rules you didnt know. Be mad at yourself or the other family. Not rcl. That's silly. Not knowing the way things are done every cruise is hardly royals fault. You are mad rcl wouldnt make a exception for you for not knowing? Ok YOU goofed.. just go and have a good time. 

• Like 10

Unfortunately this package could have been booked when you purchased the beverage package and any other extras like wifi, excursions, etc. All these can be cancelled before the cruise. 

it’s a lesson learned and hopefully you’ll be able to book when you get on the ship.

Either way, you’ll have a great cruise! 

• Like 2

You are mad at RCCL  because you waited to book because the other family didn't?  But wait, you still were going to do this, with or without them, so you waited to the last minute?  Now it is RCCL fault that you did not purchase it?  The CS looked at screen and said not available.  

It's easy to blame others for your own mistake, but it was yours, and not the company that sold out.  Sometimes this is sold out weeks in advance.  They sell a limited amount.  

But the good news, is you can now eat with the other family. 

• Like 6

Really, they aren’t sold out.

They hold back a certain amount of dining pkgs to be sold on embarkation day, so just make this your first priority when you get on the ship.

Hopefully, you have earlier check in time?

Good luck and let us know what happens!

• Thanks 1