Iona August First Time Solo Cruise - Concerns

Samrennie

2 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I use Hemto  luggage labels from Amazon . They are reusable and my current set have been used over 20 times. There are cheaper ones but the plastic is not as tough nor the metal rings. They are 7.99 for 5. You just cut the printed labels to fit. I have also invested in air tags for my next cruise just to keep track. You will see a lot of people using these tags as they are popular. 

Thanks. Hemto sounds perfect.  

Airtags are probably worth more than my luggage though 🙂

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

The paper luggage labels are very strong. We use loads of staples and have to use scissors to remove them after the cruise. 

Do you mean like the ones for concerts where you can't get them off for about a week. These seem to be print at home on A4 paper ones.

Just now, ParisHilton said:

Do you mean like the ones for concerts where you can't get them off for about a week. These seem to be print at home on A4 paper ones.

Just the ones we print on A4 paper at home. You fold them so they’re incredibly strong and as I said, we use lots and lots of staples. I can’t tear them off after the cruise, but have to use scissors. Never had a problem with them. 

2 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Just the ones we print on A4 paper at home. You fold them so they’re incredibly strong and as I said, we use lots and lots of staples. I can’t tear them off after the cruise, but have to use scissors. Never had a problem with them. 

ok, that also sounds like a good plan. I am now torn  ( I'll faff for an hour about spending £5.99 on some tags, but will blow £50 in seconds on something meaningless ....)

5 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

ok, that also sounds like a good plan. I am now torn  ( I'll faff for an hour about spending £5.99 on some tags, but will blow £50 in seconds on something meaningless ....)

It’s worth using LOTS of staples! 

17 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

Hemto tags from Amazon are excellent and strong and less faffing!

21 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

And mine. I bought bright yellow suitcases a few years ago and now in the baggage hall the world and his wife seem to have them. That’s another reason I like the plastic tags they don’t spoil if it’s wet and you can spot your luggage  easier . 

37 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

The paper luggage labels are very strong. We use loads of staples and have to use scissors to remove them after the cruise. 

We also cover ours with the wide sellotape to reinforce them a bit more, and put 2 to a case - one on the top handle and one on the side.

1 hour ago, ParisHilton said:

What do you make of the paper luggage labels. They seem somewhat vulnerable. Any suggestions on alternative ways to ensure your luggage reaches your room?

I'm wondering about those sticky "document enclosed" pouches , with IOMA 12-Aug-23 and room numbers clearly marked.

Or those bluetooth tracking tags. That might be taking it too far though.

As per Ardennais, I use quite a lot of staples but otherwise when folded they are very strong. Never had an issue on any cruise and we sail 3 to 4 times a year so plenty of experience with them.

• Like 2

Apologies for hijacking your thread Sam.

Can't believe

a) how fast the excursions are selling out. There must be some seriously wealthy peeps on board.

b) that I can no longer figure out which port is best for the Flam railway!

I used to fold the paper and use double sided sticky tape, to save taking a stapler on holiday, as I would add them to my luggage in the hotel as I didn't put them on my luggage when we were travelling by train. I too now use Hemto tags, I just fold the paper so that it fits inside they are so much easier. They were also used when we went to Venice when another member of our party's label tore off.

20230729_144219.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 11:21 AM, Samrennie said:

Hi everyone 

Thanks for any help as starting to feel would have just been easier to book a week in the sun!

ps - a week in the sun would be much easier.  But where's the fun in that. Liking the whim attitude.

3 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I used to fold the paper and use double sided sticky tape, to save taking a stapler on holiday, as I would add them to my luggage in the hotel as I didn't put them on my luggage when we were travelling by train. I too now use Hemto tags, I just fold the paper so that it fits inside they are so much easier. They were also used when we went to Venice when another member of our party's label tore off.

20230729_144219.jpg

Wow , colour printer 🙂

Gosh, i haven’t thought about the luggage labels, but will be on Amazon shortly looking at the Hemto ones! I also like the sellotape/stapler combination but that will be a bit of a faff for when coming home. 

ParisHilton - i looked at the excursions but didn’t decide on anything due to budget, i may well just stay in the ports and wander around each time, if people have got any specific ideas on what to do in each port, which doesn’t need a paid excursion, that would be great!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samrennie said:

Gosh, i haven’t thought about the luggage labels, but will be on Amazon shortly looking at the Hemto ones! I also like the sellotape/stapler combination but that will be a bit of a faff for when coming home. 

ParisHilton - i looked at the excursions but didn’t decide on anything due to budget, i may well just stay in the ports and wander around each time, if people have got any specific ideas on what to do in each port, which doesn’t need a paid excursion, that would be great!

What are your ports of call?

Sorry, that would help wouldn’t it!

Stavanger - Olden - Helleslyt - Haugesund

I know for certain i will just walk round Stavanger, but no idea what else there is to see in the other ports

Many thanks

Terrierjohn, I've got a colour printer but try to avoid using colour unless it's really necessary! 

Label wise I print them then use sellotape (helps make them waterproof) don't use a stapler just sellotape them on to the handles never had any problems have to cut them off though 😉

9 minutes ago, Samrennie said:

Sorry, that would help wouldn’t it!

Stavanger - Olden - Helleslyt - Haugesund

I know for certain i will just walk round Stavanger, but no idea what else there is to see in the other ports

Many thanks

These are my ports of call next year so am interested in replies!

Stavanger is very easy to wander around yourself and no shuttle is usually required.

Olden is gorgeous - cruisers on another site recommend Olden Adventures as they are cheaper than P&O tours.

The other two ports are new to me so am still deciding what to do. I understand there’s not a lot in Haugesund itself, so will try and do a trip there.

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

20230729_144219.jpg

I bought those too - they are great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, July morning said:

Terrierjohn, I've got a colour printer but try to avoid using colour unless it's really necessary! 

Label wise I print them then use sellotape (helps make them waterproof) don't use a stapler just sellotape them on to the handles never had any problems have to cut them off though 😉

After spending a fortune on proprietary ink cartridges, I recently switched to compatible ones, and find them equally as good as the branded ones, and cost about 90% less.

In Stravanger the ship docks right in the town, so easy to wander in. The cathedral is in the centre and the old town is next to the port. (First two photos)

There is not a lot at Olden, but on one of our visits we took the trip on the little train that goes past the old church and round the town.

I haven't been to Helleslyt or Haugesund. The later is on the our itinery of our September cruise, but I do know that it is a coastal port.

A good source of information can be found at whatsinport.com

DSCF0670.jpg

DSCF0671.jpg

Olden.jpg

DSCF0641.JPG

DSCF0636.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

I booked myself into Oppenheimer tonight to help me stay awake till midnight.

Foolishly not realising 'saturday' midnight, is what I call Friday midnight.

Good excuse to buy fizzy voss if you aren't taking it with you.

Not sure if I can afford my pepsi max habit mind.

I laminate our labels.  You can get three labels into one A4 lamination pocket.  Hole punch each end, and secure with an India Tag.