Airport arrival times, Tokyo.

bobontheblue

Due to travel restrictions we have NO choice , but to arrive the day of departure. The ship is to depart at 8.00pm. The flights we are looking at do not arrive till 4.20pm that day. We will have no checked luggage just carry on. Have never sailed from Tokyo, aside from the obvious is this just too little time to get to the port. All flights through Holland America arrive at 3.00pm. Would really appreciate some input from any experienced cruiser having navigated Narita to Yokohama. 

It’s a long way and if you have any delays you are toast.  Narita to Yokohama is a long way and you have to clear customs.   It took us well over  an hour  and we were flying business class.  YMMV 

so even if all things go right and you land at 4:20 and clear customs by 5:20 you likely wouldn't arrive until 6:30.  So literally no margin for error.  If you must do it, prepare a plan b to get to the next port by train.  

Haneda is much closer if that’s an option.  

IMG_3448.png

• Like 3

It is going to be very close, and it is highly likely that you will miss the ship, which is why HAL arranged flights cut off 80 minutes before yours arrives.  If the ship is departing at 8 pm, that means you need to be aboard by about 6 pm. If the plane arrives on time, you will still need to clear Japanese immigration and get out to the area with ground transportation. The trip from Narita to Yokohama is about 70 minutes long via towncar. Then you still need time to get checked in at the cruise terminal and onto the ship. This all is a recipe for a massive headache, ulcer, and missed cruise. 

• Like 3

If you must arrive the day of the cruise fly into Hanada NOT Narita, Not only is Narita much further away there is also risk of lots of traffic which is common. Hanada is actually very close to Yokohama and there are back roads not freeways that gets them to Yokohama pier fairly quick. By all means sign up for HAL Transfers. Flights in and out of Narita tend to me cheaper so for pricing you could fly home from Narita but by all means arrive in Hanada. Plus going through Immigration is also a bit easier than narita from what I have read.Two different cruises I arrived in Hanada and flew out of Narita.

• Like 1

I am wondering about the 3 pm arrival for all flights through HAL which seems to be cutting it short.  I do remember several years ago the ship extending our departure for several hours for FlightEase pax to arrive.  It was very late that evening when they straggled onboard.

Not a fun way to fly or start a trip all stressed out over every small delay and detail.  Not sure why no choice but I would sure try my best to change that schedule.  A flight delay, a wait to get to a gate, a long line at immigration, a traffic delay or any problem at all getting transport to ship, etc etc...as stated pretty much no room for error.  At minimum try and get a seat as near to front of plane as possible to get off quickly and hopefully no long line at immigration.

If I recall correctly there is a version of the Narita Express train that goes to Yokohama train station.  Faster than one of the local trains.  They usually run often.

However as other have said I would look into changing flight or plan on how I would get to the ships next port if I were to miss it and to make sure that I would be able to board there.

You might want to contact HAL and make arrangements to meet them at the next port.  Spend the night in Tokyo and then take a bullet train to that port the next day.  If the next day is a sea day, just enjoy Tokyo for a day.  The risk of missing your cruise and being stuck without a hotel room or plans is worse than missing the first night of your cruise.

• Like 1

Register through this website it is free and will give you two Q codes one for immigration and one for customs.

This is really worth the effort, we used it last year and we really got through  very quickly.

https://vjw-lp.digital.go.jp/en/

Good luck I have a suspicion you will need it.

Happy planning

Rosalyn

15 hours ago, ldtr said:

If I recall correctly there is a version of the Narita Express train that goes to Yokohama train station.  Faster than one of the local trains.  They usually run often.

However as other have said I would look into changing flight or plan on how I would get to the ships next port if I were to miss it and to make sure that I would be able to board there.

You are correct.

Narita Express takes you from Narita to Yokohama Station in just over 90 minutes.

Yokohama Station to Osanbashi Terminal by taxi takes about 10 more minutes.

7 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

You are correct.

Narita Express takes you from Narita to Yokohama Station in just over 90 minutes.

Yokohama Station to Osanbashi Terminal by taxi takes about 10 more minutes.

Do cruise lines allow you check in online, so you don't have to go through processing at the gate?  I know they need to get passenger lists to national authorities either 90 or 60 minutes before the cruise begins.  If that can happen, life for the OP would be a lot easier.  Checking in at the terminal, 90 minutes before would seem impossible.

9 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Do cruise lines allow you check in online, so you don't have to go through processing at the gate?  I know they need to get passenger lists to national authorities either 90 or 60 minutes before the cruise begins.  If that can happen, life for the OP would be a lot easier.  Checking in at the terminal, 90 minutes before would seem impossible.

Generally they do not.

Thanks to everyone who offered up some great ideas, and solutions. However taking everything into consideration , have decided to cancel this particular voyage and put it back into the bucket list. There will be a day when all the stars align and all is good. 

Thank you all. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:07 PM, bobontheblue said:

Thanks to everyone who offered up some great ideas, and solutions. However taking everything into consideration , have decided to cancel this particular voyage and put it back into the bucket list. There will be a day when all the stars align and all is good. 

Thank you all. 

It's completely understandable to prioritize a smooth and stress-free travel experience. When the time is right, and circumstances are more favorable, you can embark on your cruise adventure with confidence and excitement.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:51 AM, CruiserBruce said:

As documented well in the "Live from" threads from this Spring's Westerdam cruises, the Japanese Immigration procedures are slow and bureaucratic. This has disaster written all over it.

By any chance, can you link that.  I can't find it.  

17 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Hank seemed to say that customs/immigration was not that bad, since he completed all forms online.  I’ve heard similar.  Hoping for an hour or less.  Worst experience for us anywhere was Heathrow.

Our entry experience in Narita was very efficient and friendly (pre-covid).  Not bad at all, less than an hour.  Our cruise went from Japan  to Korea and back to Japan.  We had to do immigration again on the ship in Japan and it was very slow.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

21 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Hank seemed to say that customs/immigration was not that bad, since he completed all forms online.  I’ve heard similar.  Hoping for an hour or less.  Worst experience for us anywhere was Heathrow.

We have had both great and terrible experiences in Heathrow.   

The problem we had in Narita was getting luggage. Took around an hour and we were business class.  So YMMV.

Plan for the worst. Hope for the best is my motto 

Edited by bennybear