LIVE / Discovery Princess / July 30th / Alaska's Inside Passage, RT Seattle 14 Day Cruise (B2B 7 day Cruises)

Jeter02

54 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Of course! You're very welcome! One thing I have said before on the boards here in regards to people claiming that the venues now have pricing, is false but I can only say things once because I don't like to overstep on toes on the forum boards. 

On the Gigi's menu ONLY, not Alfredo's, which Gigi's are strictly on the Enchanted and Discovery Princess. There's always been fancy pizzas on the right side of the menu that have that $8.50 surcharge. I'm a very frequent cruiser on Princess but especially on the loyal classes and I can ensure there has never ever been pricing on that Gigi's menu or any Alfredo's menu with a la cart pricing or prices for anything else.

I'm guessing people who think that they add it pricing are doing quick glances at that menu. I can try to take a picture later but those menus are going to be obsolete after one more cruise. I just giggle at those who quickly jump to conclusions without reviewing. What to do. I'm happy I'm able to hopefully clear that up for.manu people. 

The menus I posted with pricing on the original thread were from the TA site, added to the information regarding package change. I have no way of knowing their accuracy, but if incorrect it's on Princess Corporate as opposed to me, the poster. 

• Like 5

Hi, glad to see you back with another “live”.  I have just caught up and thoroughly enjoyed reading about your cruise.  Now I can sit back and travel along too!

We enjoyed meeting you in Norway (Loen Skylift was great fun with you) so I have been eagerly awaiting this review.  We are headed up to Alaska in September (Majestic and Grand).

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Jeter, where you been?  Been missin your posts, gettin ansy!!!

I greatly apologize for the overly relaxed version of myself especially in regards to this live blog. As today is turnaround day I plan to sit back and reflect on this week's segment of my cruise as I prepare to go for a week number two on this amazing Alaskan voyage.

• Like 4

On 7/29/2023 at 11:58 AM, Jeter02 said:

Thank you for sharing! I am very excited to be back  onboard a ship. I know Captain Tony regaro was doing hand over this week and is supposed to be taking over fully starting tomorrow so I'm excited about that. I have also heard great things about John Smith who is leaving and is a great captain.

Captain Smith was hilarious! He bragged about the ship’s capabilities in doing a 180 in Skagway and made fun of a few who missed the sail away time in Ketchikan (I think). 

On 7/29/2023 at 12:54 PM, Jeter02 said:

Have you personally used them before? I know a lot of people on the boards have mentioned this from what I did research over the years. I'm actually highly considering this especially since my hotel is on the list.

Too late for you but I LOVE them.  Will never do anything else.  

4 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Captain Smith was hilarious! He bragged about the ship’s capabilities in doing a 180 in Skagway and made fun of a few who missed the sail away time in Ketchikan (I think). 

Every sailing with Captain John Smith we hope for passengers who are running late in ports;  his announcements are are always a bit cheeky.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, tootsiescurly said:

Heard there is a problem in Juneau because of an issue at Mendenhall Glacier. Is this correct?

Saw that on the news last night. State of emergency, due to the fast melting Mendenhall Glacier, a huge home slid into the Mendenhall River. 

On 7/31/2023 at 10:17 AM, Jeter02 said:

20230730_170745.jpg

20230730_170753.jpg

What does the "9" mean on the menu?  I have read extensively and not seen anything that MDR dishes can be extra (except for the 3 things at the bottom, that I understand completely).

2 minutes ago, deltahog said:

What does the "9" mean on the menu?  I have read extensively and not seen anything that MDR dishes can be extra (except for the 3 things at the bottom, that I understand completely).

9?  I see a mark beside all the local eats Alaskan choices.

Bottom of the first page.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

9?  I see a mark beside all the local eats Alaskan choices.

Bottom of the first page.

Ah.  That print too small for me to read.  Thank you for the translation.  Looks like a 9 to me.

11 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Ah.  That print too small for me to read.  Thank you for the translation.  Looks like a 9 to me.

Looks like a black hot air balloon to me!  Lol  Think it’s a bold, fat exclamation point.  😉

Edited by PacnGoNow

40 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Jeter, you're lettin us down again. Know you're havin fun, but think about us, we're choppin at the bit to learn what you're doin.

On vacation and enjoying himself, COVID or other health problems....??? Just let us know you are ok with a status update and your thoughts of the Discovery Princess (so good that you are ignoring the cruise critic world...LOL??)

Edited by cheezenip

Following this as we are booked on Discovery next April for the Solar Eclipse cruise. It's sold out so not only am I interested in any comments regarding the ship but also how it "feels" on a fully booked cruise. Thanks for posting.

51 minutes ago, cheezenip said:

On vacation and enjoying himself, COVID or other health problems....??? Just let us know you are ok with a status update and your thoughts of the Discovery Princess (so good that you are ignoring the cruise critic world...LOL??)

I'm doing great, and having a ball! I decided I'm going to write a whole daily review with each of the ports after I disembark tomorrow. As always I'll have all the patters included, menus, excursions, and lots of pictures Figured I'll have the time as I wait for time to pass by in the airport. I apologize for all the suspense and for being so quiet on here. This has been such a fabulous cruise onboard with such an amazing group of crew.

• Like 7

Would be interested in your opinion of Take Five and also if you can tell me what venue would be the choice for those missing Vines on the ship. (I believe you are not a "wine person" but possibly you could tell just from observation.)

6 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm doing great, and having a ball! I decided I'm going to write a whole daily review with each of the ports after I disembark tomorrow. As always I'll have all the patters included, menus, excursions, and lots of pictures Figured I'll have the time as I wait for time to pass by in the airport. I apologize for all the suspense and for being so quiet on here. This has been such a fabulous cruise onboard with such an amazing group of crew.

No need to apologize...glad you had such a great time. I'll be especially interested in your food comments in the MDR (service speed also) and the buffet as well as music activities around the ship both day and night (I'll be going in Jan for 2 weeks and the family is concerned with enough music around the ship both day / night when we are in Mexico). Have a safe trip home!!

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Would be interested in your opinion of Take Five and also if you can tell me what venue would be the choice for those missing Vines on the ship. (I believe you are not a "wine person" but possibly you could tell just from observation.)

Take five is a great venue I actually love sitting in there during the day as it's so quiet and most people just don't go in it It's usually rather empty becomes more lively in the evening. They do host the captain circle daily cocktails From 4:30 to 9:30 p.m. followed by live jazz music in the evening. So it's nice to have some drinks while listening to the music or just simply enjoying the atmosphere.

So just like the Enchanted princess Discovery as well like you mentioned does not have vines but the Crooners lounge on Deck 6. Crooners is quite massive of an area which, is also the martini bar and live piano music in the evening. They do have Bellini's bar on deck 7 which does get rather busy. So even though no dedicated wine bar, you definitely have lots of options besides the three that I've mentioned as well as good spirits bar down on deck 5 by international Cafe and then also on deck 7 you have the Crown Grill / wheelhouse bar. If I wear a wine drinker for me the best atmosphere I always do love the crown grill / wheelhouse bar area because hey also do live music whether it's violins, saxophones or piano. I love the atmosphere of not just live music but it's great for people watching people walk by on that deck and I like the mood lighting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1