Navigator App not compatible with older Android? Since when?

DFWGUYZ

Granted, we do not have the most current cellular phones (Samsung Note8) but, I was irritated when I tried to download the app for upcoming sailing and the app said not available for your version of the phone. I called HAL and the agent said yes, your phone is too old! Does anyone have any insight on this subject? 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

There have been numerous threads about this.  It happened to me.  The only solution is to purchase a new phone.  I'm glad I did because the new phone has lots of upgraded features. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had an S8 that stopped working with the Source shortly after our last SB cruise. That cruise ended in late February, so at least since then. Others were having issues at that time as well. I upgraded my phone and am fine now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

You will find a lot of other Apps will not run or update on your old OS.

This is very true.  My bank app would no longer work,  which was a bigger factor to me than the navigator.  The Hilton app was another fatality. 

• Thanks 1

It is an Android choice/issue.  When developers release a new application or even an update to an existing application, Android has version requirements the application must meet to be in the app store.

Often it's due to security issues that get identified and fixed in newer versions that can't be fixed in older versions (the old cost vs. benefit equations), though sometimes it's changes that the old hardware can't support. 

And yes, as a developer, this whole subject can be very frustrating to us too!  After all, we also need to upgrade hardware.  BTW, Apple is the same too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fusion927 said:

It is an Android choice/issue.  When developers release a new application or even an update to an existing application, Android has version requirements the application must meet to be in the app store.

Often it's due to security issues that get identified and fixed in newer versions that can't be fixed in older versions (the old cost vs. benefit equations), though sometimes it's changes that the old hardware can't support. 

And yes, as a developer, this whole subject can be very frustrating to us too!  After all, we also need to upgrade hardware.  BTW, Apple is the same too!

Thank you for the comment. I understand, regretfully, that it is time to update my phone. Your comment was excellent in explaining without being snarky about the age of my phone. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

I had an S8 that stopped working with the Source shortly after our last SB cruise. That cruise ended in late February, so at least since then. Others were having issues at that time as well. I upgraded my phone and am fine now.

Oops, sorry mentioning Seabourn and the Source on HAL, but we cruise on both and the Navigator and the Source are basically clones. Forgot which board I was on. 

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

it’s an Apple world, you may want to consider switching

Nice try, several sources show Android use at 78% and iPhone at 21%, you may want to consider switching to Android

edited to say that the previous stat is world wide. If you limit it to North America it is closer to 50/50 with Apple a little ahead

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Nice try, several sources show Android use at 78% and iPhone at 21%, you may want to consider switching to Android

edited to say that the previous stat is world wide. If you limit it to North America it is closer to 50/50 with Apple a little ahead

I recently upgraded my Apple SE (2) to SE(3).  At the time I asked the rep  ( Verizon) which phones they sold the most, and he said Apple.  He inferred it wasn’t close.  EM

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I recently upgraded my Apple SE (2) to SE(3).  At the time I asked the rep  ( Verizon) which phones they sold the most, and he said Apple.  He inferred it wasn’t close.  EM

That would make sense. Apple is the only company that makes the iPhone. There are many companies making Android phones.

But... to the point of this thread - anybody rocking an iPhone 6 out there? DW had a 6 Plus and all kinds of apps stopped working. It's not Apple's fault or any other phone manufacturer's fault. App developers can only support a limited number of OS versions. The sad reality is that your phone has about a 4 year lifespan. Five or six if you are lucky.

48 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The statistics I quoted were for all phone suppliers worldwide or North America and are current. Trying to limit the search to Verizon gave results that were 10 years old. You can search 'Android vs iPhone market share' to see the results for yourself.

That being said, a good salesman will try to answer your question in a way that validates your purchase. It may also be his feelings if he is an iPhone user and pushes that product.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ShipWalker said:

Why, yes. Yes I am.

And everything is still updating just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Our bank's app stopped working for DW about 2 years ago. That was fine because we have computers. Some other, non-essential apps stopped receiving updates. The breaking point was when the app that tracked your cardio on our building's machines was no longer supported.

One cannot be expected to walk a couple miles without badges. 🚶‍♀️😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

6, or 6 Plus?

I believe the plain 6 was deprecated several years back, but the Plus was still supported.

Deprecated?? This thread is heading down the geek hole.

I, for one, love it. Ask me about my fleet of old Thinkpads kept alive by Linux.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...