Is the quality still with O or has it also been hit with the penny pinching of other cruise lines?

chromered7

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You can skip the olive oil cart if you want

it is not mandatory

We ask for butter  for  the breads

We also ask for smaller portions of some of the  dishes 

We DID ask for smaller portions.  And the portions we were served were still twice as large as what we might be served in Italy.  At least.  

I went through the sample menu for Toscana on the Oceania site yesterday and the selection of dishes only reinforced my thinking that it is not for me...   (I would also like to know why the crab cakes, which were divine, are now not available on the Polo menu!!). 

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You can skip the olive oil cart if you want

it is not mandatory

We ask for butter  for  the breads

We also ask for smaller portions of some of the  dishes 

Exactly!

This whole discussion about olive oil cart is ridiculous. Don't want it - just tell them which olive oil you want. End of story.

• Like 5

This discussion reminds me of an older “ Anthony Bourdain No Reservations “ segment. Anthony was in Philly or NYC talking to some hot shot chef at a self advertised Italian restaurant. 

Anthony said to the Chef “ This food and this menu certainly isn’t what people think of when you say Italian “.

Chef replied “ Italian is whatever you want it to be. Create a dish, it’s Italian. Make what ever you want, with the ingredients you have, that’s Italian!”

Such is life in American restaurants serving Americanized food. Traveling extensively throughout China, Japan, SK, and SE Asia I can’t remember ever seeing lamb on any menu. I’ve had dog in SK, and yak in Tibet, but never seen lamb. Oceania has an Americanized Asian restaurant with it. Americanized food is much like all the “ Real Genuine Fake Watches “ sold throughout Turkey in June. It’s whatever they want to call it. Much like veal picatta Marsala, Or Margherita Pizza with no mozzarella or basil, or olive oil served with bread. It’s all Italian! 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

This discussion reminds me of an older “ Anthony Bourdain No Reservations “ segment. Anthony was in Philly or NYC talking to some hot shot chef at a self advertised Italian restaurant. 

Anthony said to the Chef “ This food and this menu certainly isn’t what people think of when you say Italian “.

Chef replied “ Italian is whatever you want it to be. Create a dish, it’s Italian. Make what ever you want, with the ingredients you have, that’s Italian!”

Such is life in American restaurants serving Americanized food. Traveling extensively throughout China, Japan, SK, and SE Asia I can’t remember ever seeing lamb on any menu. I’ve had dog in SK, and yak in Tibet, but never seen lamb. Oceania has an Americanized Asian restaurant with it. Americanized food is much like all the “ Real Genuine Fake Watches “ sold throughout Turkey in June. It’s whatever they want to call it. Much like veal picatta Marsala, Or Margherita Pizza with no mozzarella or basil, or olive oil served with bread. It’s all Italian! 

Did you know you were eating dog?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Did you know you were eating dog?

😂. No, not until we were about halfway through the meal and our host told us. It was in cut strips and we cooked them on a hibachi grill set up in front of us in the restaurant. Lean meat, tasty with the dipping sauces. 

We were later shown where the dogs, mostly Great Danes, were housed and raised for the meat industry. Rather similar to a very small scale hog operation here in the States.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pinotlover said:

😂. No, not until we were about halfway through the meal and our host told us. It was in cut strips and we cooked them on a hibachi grill set up in front of us in the restaurant. Lean meat, tasty with the dipping sauces. 

We were later shown where the dogs, mostly Great Danes, were housed and raised for the meat industry. Rather similar to a very small scale hog operation here in the States.

Please do not equate dog meat to pork. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, opa&oma said:

Please do not equate dog meat to pork. 

😂. I in now way related the two meats. Dog is far leaner, closer to venison. What I did relate was that the kennels the dogs were raised in were much like a small hog operations. Nothing like the big time hog farm barns, but the small time operators.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:30 AM, shepherd really said:

Ouch, that's going to leave a mark. 😆

This poster is saying that we all have AGE or OLD disease...I am marked for life, yet have not even taken my first “O” cruise!🫠

Edited by Lastdance

On 8/14/2023 at 7:47 AM, shepherd really said:

Please tell me it was flaming filet of yak, Peking style and you needed Alka Selzer after.

I could never understand why Peking Duck was so great; I had it in Beijing many years ago!😝

• 2 weeks later...

We have never sailed Celebrity. Never had the desire, so can not compare, but I do find it interesting how many people compare celebrity with Oceania. I would not have thought to categorize Oceania with Celebrity as I have always thought they were maybe a bridge between Princess et all and O, V, and Az, who  seem to be a bridge between SB, SS, and Regent. As a result, I would expect that Oceania would be a step up from Celebrity, etc. Maybe I am missing something, but sincerely, I would never compare Oceania and Celebrity in expectations of experience. 

• Like 4

I am on Insignia now, Halifax today. Experience is excellent. My first O and I have booked another voyage to south Asia.

I have spoken with many long time O customers aboard, each note a significant downgrading of food; the quality, size, variety etc. Particularly mentioned is cheapened and smaller beef, poorer quality shrimp, less embellished stir fry, obvious frozen veggies,  less flaky pastries (people mentioned they are bread pastries now), premade desserts.

As I mentioned in my post about the mid cruise review, numerous dishes in The Terrace appear cheap, simple, frankly not appealing at all (ie the chocolate mole cubes totally revolting, the chicken stir fry in broth with no veggies..).

We are Celebrity refugees as well, cancelled them in 2017 due to their cheapness and class segregation. The current management are working hard to destroy the brand. The premium cruise lines must be reaping in a new wave of customers from Celebrity.

What a train wreck, Celebrity.

Very disappointing to hear that the food on insignia has deteriorated to such a degree.

This is the main reason we left other lines.

Things must have gotten worse. We sailed on the Riviera in March and food was good everywhere. 

Will be on the Regatta in Sept and will post my thoughts.

In spite of what you say, you booked another O cruise. Perhaps there just aren't any options.

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We have never sailed Celebrity. Never had the desire, so can not compare, but I do find it interesting how many people compare celebrity with Oceania. I would not have thought to categorize Oceania with Celebrity as I have always thought they were maybe a bridge between Princess et all and O, V, and Az, who  seem to be a bridge between SB, SS, and Regent. As a result, I would expect that Oceania would be a step up from Celebrity, etc. Maybe I am missing something, but sincerely, I would never compare Oceania and Celebrity in expectations of experience. 

We left Princess for Celebrity after about 15 cruises, then left Celebrity for Oceania after about 10 cruises. I would categorize Celebrity as a bridge from Princess to Oceania. We just got tired of being charged for specialty restaurants, bottled water and a decently-made cup of coffee.  Oh, and those persistent photographers!!

Edited by YoPhilly
  • Like 2

We sailed with Cunard in the Queens grills and have done for many years and we too have noticed cut backs,no more luxury body lotions,shampoo etc to take home,large box of chocolates on arrival is now 4 small chocolates,no fruit in the cabin and upstairs for coffee you used to get a bikky but that's stopped too,after that being said, I still wouldn't sail with anyone else

On 8/11/2023 at 12:13 PM, mauibabes said:

We have done 7 segments post Covid and have not had the issues some are complaining about so a MAJOR DITTO here.  We did expos couple things that some may consider earth shattering 🤪, O had the audacity to remove Lasagna from the Toscana menu on Riviera in 2021 but a chat with the F and B Dir., Maitre d and Chef resolved that faux paux. Lasagna was back for good two days later. Second, January on Marina Red Ginger ran out of Sea Bass, substituting cod. No Thank You and no, the world did not come to an end. 
IMHO, it is still the Finest Cuisine at Sea. 
Ready to sail on Vista in October 👍🙏😇

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Enjoy your sailing in October. If it's not too much trouble I'd love to see what the nightly menus in the GDR look like if you are willing to snap a photo (specifically what Jacques specials are offered each evening). If not, no worries. I'm sure I'll find some online eventually. I have until our Vista sailing in March to get my appetite revved up! 

17 hours ago, ORV said:

I just read they are once again cutting the Aqua Class amenities. The afternoon snacks and chocolates. 

Yes. Just came back from Summit earlier this month. We were in an Aqua cabin and were told "no more canapés". I used to order a cheese plate in the afternoon before sailing in Aqua, but could not do that either, since they decided to start charging a fee for that delivery as well (not worth it). We ended up having dinner earlier than we normally eat (I will say Blu was excellent), because we were hungry not having any options for food before dinner. We didn't want to fight crowds at the buffet. The thing I loved about our O sailing on Riviera last March is that when you sit and have a drink at say the Martini bar, they bring out snacks, so you're not drinking on an empty stomach. We are long time Celebrity loyalists (going back to Mercury and Century). We are going on Vista this February and won't be looking back at Celebrity any more. 

3 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

We left Princess for Celebrity after about 15 cruises, then left Celebrity for Oceania after about 10 cruises. I would categorize Celebrity as a bridge from Princess to Oceania. We just got tired of being charged for specialty restaurants, bottled water and a decently-made cup of coffee.  Oh, and those persistent photographers!!

That makes sense. That Celebrity is a bridge between Princess (never again) and Oceania…..

I would really like to see more of comparing Oceania with Viking and Azamara. It would be a beneficial comparison of like categories imo. I am sure those threads are on these boards, I just see so much comparison here on Celebrity with Oceania,  and it feels like comparing apples to oranges. 

On 8/14/2023 at 2:44 AM, Hambagahle said:

(I would also like to know why the crab cakes, which were divine, are now not available on the Polo menu!!). 

We were on Riviera in June and the crab cakes were definitely on the Polo menu.