Is the quality still with O or has it also been hit with the penny pinching of other cruise lines?

chromered7

44 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I recall complaints a short while back about O reducing ship speed to save fuel and this was resulting in shorter times in port.  Is this still a thing?

YES

• Like 3

On 8/10/2023 at 9:41 PM, Vineyard View said:

We have looked at Azamara. For us that requires an upgraded cabin as it would with small O ships. I know this isn’t true for all pax but would be our choice. Quite honestly, Azamara Evenings isn’t a draw for us, but again, personal perspective. 

Regarding Viking food vs Oceania, I cannot compare. But Viking food/cuisine compared to Seabourn and I can. SB is superior. How is the food on Azamara vs Oceania?

Food is not as good as Oceania. But itineraries are better. And I find the excursions more active, so strenuous is actually strenuous. Whereas on Oceania I find their strenuous more moderate at most. Az is also a little more casual. I also find their cruisers a little more active. JMHO.

On 8/13/2023 at 5:14 PM, Hambagahle said:

You hit the nail on the head.  It is, to someone who is Swiss and lives 45mns from the Italian border, pretentious in the extreme.   I have never ever once had olive oil "presented to me" in Italy except when I was on a tour of a market and an olive oil vendor did that.   It is not the Italian food that we love to eat in Italy.  And the portions are too big.  (In Toscana that is...)   We learnt a while back to avoid Toscana entirely.  Got "snookered" once when the GM invited us for dinner there.  We went.  Still hated it.   On the flip side we really like Jacques and are upset that there is no Jacques on Vista (our next cruise...)  Ember seems neither fish nor fowl.  And we aren't trendy California eaters so the spa restaurant won't do for us.   I suspect we shall eat a lot more in our suite on the next cruise.  And in the Terrace Café where I actually like the dinners...and breakfasts.   Sushi is not something we get a lot of here.

In higher end Italian restaurants I have had balsamic and olive oil offerings. 

4 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

We left Princess for Celebrity after about 15 cruises, then left Celebrity for Oceania after about 10 cruises. I would categorize Celebrity as a bridge from Princess to Oceania. We just got tired of being charged for specialty restaurants, bottled water and a decently-made cup of coffee.  Oh, and those persistent photographers!!

I would not say Celebrity is a bridge any longer. They are cutting amenities in all cabin categories faster than I change my outfits! And adding charges for once free menu items. They have also more than doubled their fares post pandemic. Oceania is now cheaper on a per night basis than Celebrity. At least PH vs Sky Suite.

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We have done 3 Viking cruises, the last one this March. Never again, mainly because the food was terrible unless you had a drink package, then you didnt notice.

ROTFL

Jancruz1

7 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Really loved the large, extra jumbo macadamia nuts in TC.  Sadly, they were not offered on 2018 And 2019 cruises.  (Maybe not on 2017 either)

I do not recall ever seeing them 🤔

Where  did they hang out?

On 8/8/2023 at 11:06 AM, pinotlover said:

Also, Oceania strives to serve a large captive crowd of eaters wanting plain and bland. Many of those rarely eat outside their assisted living facilities at home or drive at night. Plain and bland doesn’t go far ashore.

Please don’t presume to speak for all Oceania passengers.  We don’t want plain or bland, and certainly don’t live in an assisted living facility.  Your sweeping generalisation is insulting. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

But they don't seem to be on the Polo menu on Vista (and it is Vista we are sailing on)....

Maybe you butler can bring some from Ember to try??

I am hoping they are in Polo on Vista  but if not   oh well

16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We have never sailed Celebrity. Never had the desire, so can not compare, but I do find it interesting how many people compare celebrity with Oceania. I would not have thought to categorize Oceania with Celebrity as I have always thought they were maybe a bridge between Princess et all and O, V, and Az, who  seem to be a bridge between SB, SS, and Regent. As a result, I would expect that Oceania would be a step up from Celebrity, etc. Maybe I am missing something, but sincerely, I would never compare Oceania and Celebrity in expectations of experience. 

Celebrity is in the same category as Princess and HAL. Very comparable in terms of service and food. Oceania is a HUGE step up. SS is another step up, but much smaller in my opinion. O is much closer to SS than to Celebrity. I would not even put O and C in the same sentence when comparing lines. A different galaxy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

Please don’t presume to speak for all Oceania passengers.  We don’t want plain or bland, and certainly don’t live in an assisted living facility.  Your sweeping generalisation is insulting. 

I never said I speak for “ all” Oceania passengers. Far from it. Many doesn’t equal all. 

I can say that the push for simple and bland on Oceania is bigger than on other lines. This issue isn’t limited to Oceania.

One of my largest clients had a huge Cajun night last Friday. Two different sittings of outrageous great Cajun food. What part of Cajun brings to mind simple and bland? Quite a few guests ( mostly geriatric) left complaining the food was too spicy. He options weren’t really hot and spicy but very favorable. Go elsewhere on Cajun night, but don’t demand the chef make bland dishes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Celebrity is in the same category as Princess and HAL. Very comparable in terms of service and food. Oceania is a HUGE step up. SS is another step up, but much smaller in my opinion. O is much closer to SS than to Celebrity. I would not even put O and C in the same sentence when comparing lines. A different galaxy.

Exactly my point. That is what is why I just wonder why all the comparisons are between Celebrity and  Oceania. 

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe you butler can bring some from Ember to try??

I am hoping they are in Polo on Vista  but if not   oh well

The butlers really only bring meals from one restaurant at a time.  Which would mean that we would have to order entirely from Ember.  And not much on the menu appeals to us aside from the crab cake.  (I suppose we could order doubles of those!).  However since we can always go to the GDR or to the Terrace even if we order in, this is certainly something to think about.  At least the environment would be quiet!!  Thanks for the idea.

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

The butlers really only bring meals from one restaurant at a time.  Which would mean that we would have to order entirely from Ember.  And not much on the menu appeals to us aside from the crab cake.  (I suppose we could order doubles of those!).  However since we can always go to the GDR or to the Terrace even if we order in, this is certainly something to think about.  At least the environment would be quiet!!  Thanks for the idea.

I am sure  the butler could bring  one order of the crab cake   early   just to try it ....  then you can go elsewhere for your real dinner

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Exactly my point. That is what is why I just wonder why all the comparisons are between Celebrity and  Oceania. 

Maybe O is getting more refugees from X than other lines?  Taking that next step up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, YoPhilly said:

Maybe O is getting more refugees from X than other lines?  Taking that next step up.

I suspect so. Check out the Celebrity site, one thread about an executive resigning and major announcement today is disturbing. 

I feel bad for Celebrity, in 1992 it was the Oceania of the day. Very sad what has happened to that once classy cruiseline.

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

1 hour ago, YoPhilly said:

Yep, just read the threads here. Many people are looking at trying Oceania and Celebrity has been their main cruising experience for quite a few years. I actually cruised Oceania before Celebrity, but we've used them both consecutively for the past 10-15 years. As I've said many times, they are different products. You have to take each for what it is. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I know at least one other person on here orders starters from specialities in lieu of evening canapés in their suite then go and enjoy dinner in their desired location…you would just receive them a bit later than the normal canapé service. 

• Like 1

Makes sense for all the passengers who are fleeing one particular line. Thank you. I never read Celebrity’s boards as I have had no interest in that size of ship sailing. I wonder if the many passengers who left Celebrity have also tried other lines in the same segment as Oceania, or even the ‘luxury’ brands (I know johnthomas sailed V). Maybe there is just such a relieved sense of satisfaction with that specific change that most are happy to stick with O and not venture to others. Idk. It was just a curiosity thing. 

38 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Makes sense for all the passengers who are fleeing one particular line. Thank you. I never read Celebrity’s boards as I have had no interest in that size of ship sailing. I wonder if the many passengers who left Celebrity have also tried other lines in the same segment as Oceania, or even the ‘luxury’ brands (I know johnthomas sailed V). Maybe there is just such a relieved sense of satisfaction with that specific change that most are happy to stick with O and not venture to others. Idk. It was just a curiosity thing. 

I really wanted to try Viking and booked a cruise with them. I canceled it when Viking asked for final payment a year in advance. It’s too bad but that’s a dealbreaker for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

I suspect so. Check out the Celebrity site, one thread about an executive resigning and major announcement today is disturbing. 

I feel bad for Celebrity, in 1992 it was the Oceania of the day. Very sad what has happened to that once classy cruiseline.

She did not resign..

Jancruz1

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

I really wanted to try Viking and booked a cruise with them. I canceled it when Viking asked for final payment a year in advance. It’s too bad but that’s a dealbreaker for me.

We feel the same way.

We did pay in full for couple of cruise (Uniworld and SS) a year in advance, but got a nice discount in return (10-15%). Giving someone an interest free loan for 12-24 months is not my cup of tea..

Not to mention that their prices now are higher than SB..

• Like 2