Older vs Younger

georgiaguy

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

Our we prohibited from saying we cruise in an Aqua class cabin?  Or a veranda?  Others might get jealous.

Say what you want for me (I don’t make the rules by the way). Just not repetitively as some do. And not jealousy at all but you think that if you wish.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Yet I think that Celebrity is marketing towards the younger cruiser in many many ways...  And building newer ships (E class ) that bring in a younger demographic and cater to a younger demographic.  So what is the issue?

E class is not my cup of tea but the younger cruisers can have them.

We are seniors and enjoy the Inf balc ..too bad the cabin is so small.

On Royal, before the "move up" system changed, we found many Ds and D+  frequent cruisers on our roll calls were obsessed with getting move up phone calls..even on boarding day.

Never felt that anyone on X was like that... even ZENITHS who deserve  recognition as loyal customers.  Recently some in  Retreat Class seem to "advertise their status" Not many but  enough for us  to laugh about! 

• Like 1

tried to EDIT to expand my post but it was too late..Here's the expanded version:

We are seniors and enjoy the Inf balc ..too bad the cabin is so small. I think preference is not a function  of age..  We like the Sunset Verandas on E best..even with the long walk to anywhere!

On Royal, before the "move up" system changed, we found many Ds and D+  frequent cruisers on our roll calls were obsessed with getting move up phone calls..even on boarding day.

Never felt that anyone on X was like that... even ZENITHS who deserve  recognition as loyal customers.  Recently some in  Retreat Class seem to "advertise their status" Not many but  enough for us  to laugh about! 

More recent focus by X on Cabin status versus Loyalty tiers has changed things,   but we  do. not get hung up and enjoy the perks we have!

4 hours ago, hcat said:

even ZENITHS who deserve  recognition as loyal customers.  Recently some in  Retreat Class seem to "advertise their status" Not many but  enough for us  to laugh about! 

From our experience, we have always been " recognized " as a loyal customer--- Even the Captain never asked us " Pinboy, which cabin ya in " ?

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Recently some in  Retreat Class seem to "advertise their status" Not many but  enough for us  to laugh about! 

Just wait to see what Pinboy posts as soon as he receives the $32M he inherited from a King in Africa !! All I have to do is send "another " $15,852 to speed up the process. Holy cow, at first it seemed to be too good to be true, but, his "Representative" sounded like such a nice man so I gave him my banking information. 

Gotta go---there seems to be a withdrawal from my bank account that looks suspicious. 

• Haha 4

Having followed the points many cruisers have made on this post my summary would be…This post is less about Celebrity’s marketing and more about the attitude of cruisers young and old to each other…

Most cruisers are inclusive and tolerant. They take individuals as they find them. They find interest and novelty in people of all ages, just as they would enjoy conversations with people of all nationalities and creeds….They don’t appreciate poor behaviour from any cruiser (regardless of age) but more frequently will shrug it off with a smile rather than a frown and certainly will not let it spoil their cruise. Most cruisers are more interested in what they are doing than in the activities of others…

However, there are a few cruises who are blinkered to their personal preferences. They want the cruise line to go in the direction of their personal likes and dislikes…If they enjoy loud music in venues they want loud music in all venues, if they don’t like loud music they will want and expect all venues to meet that brief…

In his initial post the OP expressed 

On 8/9/2023 at 3:12 AM, georgiaguy said:

There is a trend I have been noticing that I find a bit frustrating. Repeatedly folks posting here make comments about Celebrity driving away its older customers and how everything thing is targeted toward the younger generations. Can I just say I find it really insulting to be spoken about like I don’t matter and only those who have been cruising for 30 years and are elite have opinions that count? Ok I did say it. I am 40 years old with two kids that are under 5 and pretty much exclusively cruise with Celebrity. Why is it ok to consistently speak down about the “younger generation” as if my money shouldn’t also be sought after by the company. I wont retire for another 25 year likely, but isnt it ok for the CEO to think about me as well. I am not saying to just forget about long time customers but I think younger customers matter as well. Ok rant over. Thanks for listening. 

There is space, staff and venues a plenty for us all to enjoy each and every cruise! The fact that all of us have chosen Celebrity, regardless of our ages, indicates we all appreciate the ambiance the cruise line provides….

From an oldie to a younger guest, long may Celebrity be a cruise line that celebrates diversity of age!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Having followed the points many cruisers have made on this post my summary would be…This post is less about Celebrity’s marketing and more about the attitude of cruisers young and old to each other…

Most cruisers are inclusive and tolerant. They take individuals as they find them. They find interest and novelty in people of all ages, just as they would enjoy conversations with people of all nationalities and creeds….They don’t appreciate poor behaviour from any cruiser (regardless of age) but more frequently will shrug it off with a smile rather than a frown and certainly will not let it spoil their cruise. Most cruisers are more interested in what they are doing than in the activities of others…

However, there are a few cruises who are blinkered to their personal preferences. They want the cruise line to go in the direction of their personal likes and dislikes…If they enjoy loud music in venues they want loud music in all venues, if they don’t like loud music they will want and expect all venues to meet that brief…

In his initial post the OP expressed 

There is space, staff and venues a plenty for us all to enjoy each and every cruise! The fact that all of us have chosen Celebrity, regardless of our ages, indicates we all appreciate the ambiance the cruise line provides….

From an oldie to a younger guest, long may Celebrity be a cruise line that celebrates diversity of age!

I think it's quite simple.  Does my quiet reading with headphones disturb you or interrupt your day? Does your or the ship's playing of loud music interfere with other people's enjoyment?  Same for screaming children.

This is true for young and old.  You can be a considerate young person or rude older person.

If you blast your music on your bluetooth speaker at the pool be prepared to listen to Maria Callas (or Billy Idol).

Wow. Lots of thoughts. 35-40 cruises under my belt. (That the belt still fits is amazing🙄)

Started sailing when I was four.  First cruise with Celebrity at 39.  A similar comment to another poster- I adore having children at the dinner table...with a light hollandaise!  At 60, 21 years later, the product generally still fits us. 

Silent disco. Yuk. But that it's there for others? Great.

Never go to the shows.  But glad they are there. 

Love the Martini Bar, but don't always live the music volume. Smirk at the "oldies" trying to look like they enjoy feeling hip, and then realize I am one.

Ship is generally big enough that I can find food/drink/entertainment away from anyone annoying me (get off my lawn, kid!) 

Is there a point here?  There is room for everyone.  Bad behavior is just that, no matter the age.  For the grumpies, try to enjoy the young as a spectator sport...and remember your youthful follies.  For the young, have a little patience- we'll be napping soon anyway!

And for another perspective: the "oldies"  grew up with Rock n Roll, Woodstock and free love, so while our back braces hurt and our hearing aid batteries fail, we WERE once the radical young generation that were despised for our politics, lack of work ethic and our music.  The more things change..😂

Happy sailing to all.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

Wow. Lots of thoughts. 35-40 cruises under my belt. (That the belt still fits is amazing🙄)

Started sailing when I was four.  First cruise with Celebrity at 39.  A similar comment to another poster- I adore having children at the dinner table...with a light hollandaise!  At 60, 21 years later, the product generally still fits us. 

Silent disco. Yuk. But that it's there for others? Great.

Never go to the shows.  But glad they are there. 

Love the Martini Bar, but don't always live the music volume. Smirk at the "oldies" trying to look like they enjoy feeling hip, and then realize I am one.

Ship is generally big enough that I can find food/drink/entertainment away from anyone annoying me (get off my lawn, kid!) 

Is there a point here?  There is room for everyone.  Bad behavior is just that, no matter the age.  For the grumpies, try to enjoy the young as a spectator sport...and remember your youthful follies.  For the young, have a little patience- we'll be napping soon anyway!

And for another perspective: the "oldies"  grew up with Rock n Roll, Woodstock and free love, so while our back braces hurt and our hearing aid batteries fail, we WERE once the radical young generation that were despised for our politics, lack of work ethic and our music.  The more things change..😂

Happy sailing to all.

Don’t make me listen to the Beatles** and Cat Stevens all day.  80s pop is where it’s at!!!  Or Frank Sinatra.  But please god, no disco.   And it’s Green Day not Nirvana.

** Wings is acceptable in a pinch.  See Mull of Kintyre.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Don’t make me listen to the Beatles** and Cat Stevens all day.  80s pop is where it’s at!!!  Or Frank Sinatra.  But please god, no disco.   And it’s Green Day not Nirvana.

I'll take Nirvana. But wouldn't have back in the day. Grew into it. Green Day is fine, and I'll even take Pearl Jam. And Springsteen, of course.

Everyone keeps talking about 20 somethings. As a quick reminder, Nevermind came out in 1991. That's 32 years ago. A 19 year old in 1991 is 51 today. Squarely in the Celebrity demographic...

Keep the volume at a reasonable level other than in the actual venues. Ditch the piano bars (for the most part), and disco. Love Buffett, but it's so cruise cliche. Ditto the Sweet Caroline sing alongs. I'm living for the day I hear Bulls on Parade on an X cruise! Or better yet the uncensored version of You Oughta Know!

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I think it's quite simple.  Does my quiet reading with headphones disturb you or interrupt your day? Does your or the ship's playing of loud music interfere with other people's enjoyment?  Same for screaming children.

This is true for young and old.  You can be a considerate young person or rude older person.

If you blast your music on your bluetooth speaker at the pool be prepared to listen to Maria Callas (or Billy Idol).

agree..consideration goes a long way!

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Has this actually happened to you? I’ve never seen it. I’ve seen people turn on videos or apparently FaceTime on their device speakers. But that’s almost never been a “kid”.  And never on an external speaker. Much more likely to hear half of a conversation from someone using their earbuds. 

50 minutes ago, markeb said:

Has this actually happened to you? I’ve never seen it. I’ve seen people turn on videos or apparently FaceTime on their device speakers. But that’s almost never been a “kid”.  And never on an external speaker. Much more likely to hear half of a conversation from someone using their earbuds. 

Sure.  It happens in restaurants.  Usually kids.  Who wants to be the grouch saying, turn it off?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sure.  It happens in restaurants.  Usually kids.  Who wants to be the grouch saying, turn it off?

What about the pool on a Celebrity cruise? That was your point. 

What restaurants? I must not go to the same ones…

Edited by markeb

57 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I wasn’t referring to the ship.

Actually, you did. Hence the question. If that wasn’t your intent, no worries. 

I guess you were referring to a different pool. 

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, markeb said:

I'll take Nirvana. But wouldn't have back in the day. Grew into it. Green Day is fine, and I'll even take Pearl Jam. And Springsteen, of course.

Everyone keeps talking about 20 somethings. As a quick reminder, Nevermind came out in 1991. That's 32 years ago. A 19 year old in 1991 is 51 today. Squarely in the Celebrity demographic...

Keep the volume at a reasonable level other than in the actual venues. Ditch the piano bars (for the most part), and disco. Love Buffett, but it's so cruise cliche. Ditto the Sweet Caroline sing alongs. I'm living for the day I hear Bulls on Parade on an X cruise! Or better yet the uncensored version of You Oughta Know!

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

I was 17 in 91 and it’s the pistols (full name may get me sent to the naughty room) for me or even social distortion. Nirvana and Green Day had a few good songs but not my favorites. Though I like zitsky’s idea of Billy Idol. Maybe we can do the alternate lyrics to mony mony that used to get the teachers running to shut the song down at high school dances lmao!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I was 17 in 91 and it’s the pistols (full name may get me sent to the naughty room) for me or even social distortion. Nirvana and Green Day had a few good songs but not my favorites. Though I like zitsky’s idea of Billy Idol. Maybe we can do the alternate lyrics to mony mony that used to get the teachers running to shut the song down at high school dances lmao!

School dances?  Then you should be playing Rebel Yell.