Older vs Younger

georgiaguy

6 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Agreed. Although these days, the number of kids who behave poorly is the vast majority as parents don't have any proper parenting skills anymore, letting them run free throughout the ship and go wild. All while they enjoy their mojito far away.

Not the vast majority of kids.  Most parents are responsible and most kids are well behaved in my cruising experience.  But yes there are a few that are not.  Just like in non-cruise situations.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sunkey1 said:

I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who think that a relaxing vacation simply can't happen on a ship with "bells and whistles". We recently went on the NCL Getaway and it was probably one of my most relaxing cruises out of the +50 I've taken. There is a space called "Vibe" that is an extra fee, adults only sun deck (think Retreat, only ridiculously cheaper). That, plus dining waterfront every evening made for a spectacular week. We simply avoid the "crazy" areas (kids pool areas, etc), plus tend to cruise when kids are in school. It CAN be done! While lines still tend to have their preferred demographics, I think they all are becoming more fluid as people want to branch out and try new lines and ships.

I agree - we have found quiet relaxing areas on every cruise we have taken across the various lines.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Agreed. Although these days, the number of kids who behave poorly is the vast majority as parents don't have any proper parenting skills anymore, letting them run free throughout the ship and go wild. All while they enjoy their mojito far away.

I disagree that it is a majority.  Maybe it's just that the poorly behaved ones are the loudest.  We often overestimate how many they are when they are.

I also want to add that since the restart across all cruise lines we have sailed, I can remember some specific examples of very poorly behaved adults.  I can't actually remember any specific examples of poorly behaved children.  Not to say there were none but it was the poorly behaved adults that had a greater effect on my vacation.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not the vast majority of kids.  Most parents are responsible and most kids are well behaved in my cruising experience.  But yes there are a few that are not.  Just like in non-cruise situations.

I wouldn't say that. Not even close to most. Maybe 20-25%. Of course YMMV.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

A gross exaggeration.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

A gross exaggeration.

Having sailed Disney a lot in our early years, it is and it isn't. It depends on the age of the kids, we saw lots of teens running around, but not 6-7 year olds. What we did notice is I think a lot of the parents use the kids club as a babysitter so they can have some time away from the kids to either drink or just have a relaxing moment for themselves, which if your kids really enjoy the clubs that can be a win win. We didn't go that route and did lots of things as a family, why we did the trip in the first place, and our daughter spent some time in the clubs, but not a majority of the day.

• Like 1

To the what is Celebrity really targeting? I am not sure it really is an age, but instead a style of cruising. We are fairly boring cruiser, not taking part in white night on X or orange night on HAL, but instead prefer to chill out most of the day doing puzzle books and playing cards and watching the ocean pass. We do enjoy listening to live music around the ship and would love if X would schedule Michael Reddon for our 2025 cruise, but guessing we can't request that;) We also really enjoy going to the shows at night especially if they are really good, and we finally experienced the behind the podium lectures and they were great. 

With my music tastes ranging from big band, jazz, music from the 50s and 60s, death metal, hair bands, to the latest pop music on the radio, I like good music onboard, but I will say I do like that Celebrity is trending towards more recent music, but I realize that isn't for everyone. 

So a long winded way of saying we are low key somewhat boring folks that don't drink a lot even when we have the beverage package. For the way we cruise X hits it out of the park. Now if they would just add a tasteful mini golf course to their ships we would be crazy happy. To be fair HAL had a lot of this, but their shows were not a highlight, and they didn't do great in the buffet, especially for folks like me with food allergies. 

If it matters we are mid to late 40s. 

As a side note typing this out helped me remember why I love to cruise, vs boring land vacas:)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Having sailed Disney a lot in our early years, it is and it isn't. 

The person I quoted specifically said "a vast majority" -- that implies upward of 90%.  Do you really think 90% or more of all kids on ships behave poorly?

Certainly not true in my experience across 50 years of cruising on multiple lines.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The person I quoted specifically said "a vast majority" -- that implies upward of 90%.  Do you really think 90% or more of all kids on ships behave poorly?

Certainly not true in my experience across 50 years of cruising on multiple lines.

Take out the vast and majority could be right, but it really depended on the cruise. We also became numb to kids running down the hallways, etc and still are. It depends on what there definition of behaving poorly is. I am guessing it is a lot different than mine, I see kids running down the hallways as kids being kids, others that is the end of the world. Another example, on our HAL cruise, 2 of the handful of kids onboard were doing cannonballs and jumping in the indoor pool having a blast with their grandparents, some would see that as behaving very poorly. So to them a kid cutting in front of them or talking when they shouldn't, or just not dressing nice enough could bother them.

Honestly though kids now days aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Hold a door for kids and people that are older and see what reaction you get. So far I have gotten friendlier responses from the kids. I think we all forget how wild and crazy we all were back when we were kids, I wish I could recapture that:)

• Like 2

I'd like to point out to some of the people that think Celebrity is primarily for adults, that Celebrity was one of the first (if not, the first) cruise line to introduce a kids program.  They have always been family oriented.  If you want to cruise without kids, that's your choice, but you can't expect families to avoid a line that has always catered to families.  If you're set on limiting kids, you need to do one of the following:

1.) Choose a longer cruise: families tend to be limited to shorter cruises due to work and school breaks

2.) Cruise during times where the kids are in school

3.) Avoid cruising during the summer, if possible

4.) Do your research and choose an "Adults Only" line

There will always be cruisers of many ages, that's just a fact of cruising life.  You need to pick a line that already caters to your taste.

Oh and by the way, this is coming from someone who started cruising at age 5.....on Celebrity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

At least it's more "stimulating" ( gets the blood flowing ) than the usual  " What should I do etc, etc  , Gratuities , lounge hogs , Butler/Retreat Host/ , room service delivery charge , how do you get to the airport in , etc ", and my favorite --( everyone knows that one ).

FYI--- Children and old farts playing their bebop music or watching Captain Kangaroo videos so everyone ( I ) can hear them are not permitted in the Solarium Pool area. 

Have you not heard they are soon coming out with the Artful Dodger package which provides the little urchins access to everywhere!  😃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Children on X were always well dressed, well behaved and  fun to be around (compared to Royal run amuk!)

Lately, the differences are less noticeable..but it's the parental demographic or parenting style ( free range)  that has changed.  We saw one dad say bye to his son around 10 yrs old mid- morning.. Dad said don't forget to meet back for dinner around 5....  Shortly after lunch,  dh  saw same boy bleeding from his mouth and with ice..he climbed where he should not have....  Whose fault was that?

..Cruise ships can be a dangerous place!  Rather than use it as  daycare or free run of ship.. family time spent together makes great memories! Most follow that plan  but not all!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hcat said:

1---it's the parental demographic or parenting style ( free range)  that has changed. 

2---saw same boy bleeding from his mouth and with ice..he climbed where he should not have....  Whose fault was that?

1-- " parenting style ( free range)  ---------" BINGO !!!

A couple of " Ow, that hurts " on the butt -- worked than  "  Ok dear  , let's sit down and discuss what motivated you to etc,etc---- 

LOL-- We never heard the word " motivated " in our house. 

2-- " Whose fault was that "? --- That's easy---- The dumb kid !! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Children on X were always well dressed, well behaved and  fun to be around (compared to Royal run amuk!)

Lately, the differences are less noticeable..but it's the parental demographic or parenting style ( free range)  that has changed. 

I don't agree with the free range changing now, if anything its gone the other way. I remember being a young lad and leaving the house in the morning and not really coming back till supper time. Other than maybe for a snack or bathroom break. We basically did what we wanted and got a few bumps and bruises along the way that we learned not to do something again from. I think in many ways that taught me/us to be more self sufficient and responsible. We also didn't have those screens back then that we are all addicted to now.

The well dressed bugs me too. I dress properly for dinner, but the rest of the time in a warm climate, I have on what many would consider gym shorts and a t-shirt and potentially crocs, even in my 40's, so I wouldn't pass the well dressed part of the equation either.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, framboesa said:

We are 45/50 and we tend to avoid  celebrity because we value fun, itinerary, activities and spectacularity more than food and time to relax. We always travel as a couple, without children but we don't mind children or families (well, on our last cruise to Asia there were 800 children on board, but that rarely happens!) We've done quite a few cruises with different companies and we usually choose according to the itinerary but we've always said that we're going to leave the celebrity cruises for when we're in our 70/80s .... It's interesting to read that this company is now trying to attract younger people because honestly we haven't felt the appeal yet 😄  Anyway, I booked a celebrity cruise for my parents and friends (late 70's) this year and I confess I warned them that this cruise would be focused on older people and a little different from what they usually do (they've been doing RC Oasis class lately) . Let's see if they like it 🙂

I think Viking is more the cruise line you leave for your 70s/80s.

IMHO, children should not allowed to roam about unattended on any cruise ship if they are under 12/13. On our most recent cruise (not Celebrity), two children purposefully locked my husband, my son, and several other adults in the basketball court cage by forcing the door past where it was supposed to go and jamming it. Fortunately, someone came along walking on the jogging track and freed them, but they could have been locked in there all night. My boys recognized the children from Kid's Club.  This situation clearly illustrates why children young enough to be in the Kid's Club (i.e. under 12) should not be roaming free on a ship without parental supervision because left to their own devices, they find trouble! 

SNS, but a group of late elementary/jr high aged school boys left to their own devices will almost always find trouble no matter how well-behaved they are with their parents or in school or even on their own.  It is like they get together and one of them will suggest something dumb/dangerous that they think is fun or funny, then they form some sort of strange "group think" and all common sense goes out the window.    

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

First a few demographics:  mid 70's; 15 years of cruising, last 11yr on Royal;  last five yrs (excluding ~19 months for pandemic) on Oasis class;  10 grandkids, 6 greats + 2 coming; love time spent with family.

The basic issue is that cruisers our age probably have about 5 - 8 more years of cruising left, God willing, due to  potential health and mobility considerations.  Consequently, we no longer represent a viable target audience for the travel industry.  For many, health care takes much of our previously "disposable income."  Consequently, travel companies will be looking for younger clientele.  

For RCCL this is their "Kids Under 12 Sail Free" initiative.  A prime example of the clash between old and young cruisers materialized during our last cruise when two families with two wagons (3 children in one and two in another), a wheelchair guest and spouse, and other guests tried to board an elevator without much success.

In the past, guests desiring a more sedate cruise could simply book their travel around school schedules to attain their previous cruise experiences.  However, "Playgrounds at Sea/ Kids Sail Free" have removed the sedate cruise option, leaving many wishing for past experiences.  As the saying goes, "That ship has sailed."

• Like 2

We started taking more cruises in our 30s and 40s.  It's us who have moved on as we got older.  We never expected the cruise lines to keep catering to us as we got older.  That makes no sense.  We took our kids on plenty of Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises because they were good family lines.  In our 40s and 50s, started Princess and the Celebrity.  Now, would much rather be on Azamara, Oceania, and will try Viking.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

We started taking more cruises in our 30s and 40s.  It's us who have moved on as we got older.  We never expected the cruise lines to keep catering to us as we got older.  That makes no sense.  We took our kids on plenty of Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises because they were good family lines.  In our 40s and 50s, started Princess and the Celebrity.  Now, would much rather be on Azamara, Oceania, and will try Viking.  

hubofhockey   --- So, you moved from MONTREAL ----the Hub of Hockey ??

Oh--Oh, I feel a new thread coming soon ??

" What cruise line attracts the most LOYAL hockey fans " ?

The Bruins will miss Patrice Bergeron " big time " !!

Edited by Pinboy

First ever cruise for DW and myself was January 2000 on the Mercury, oh how I miss you girl. It was fantastic, and yes there have been many-many changes since then. We personally love the wide age difference on Celebrity.

Since we have an in-home daycare, we are rather sensitive to kids being around and my wife is a magnet for kids so they hang around us. After three cruises we did adult only all-inclusive resorts for a while. Speaking of age difference, at one resort there was an older couple where the husband was a WW2 paratrooper. Boy did he have some great stories

On children today and speaking of daycare, we have had one for close to 30 years and the parenting style today seems to be more "don't upset the child for any reason." It's like the distant aunt and uncle are raising the kids and want to make sure that they are the child's favorite aunt and uncle. There are so many age appropriate skills that children don't have today, like an almost five year old that doesn't know how to eat at the table, or how to use a spoon or fork. A three year old that doesn't know how to use the stairs because the parents still carry them everywhere. Or when children are stunned that an adult told them they can't do/have whatever they want when they want it. This is our current experience and things have changed dramatically for the worse over the past three decades. I like to think of it as trickle down parenting skills that are getting worse with each generation.

With all of that said (boy did I get wordy- sorry), we do NOT blame the children. It's all on the parents and of course we make exceptions for children with special needs and work hard to help them grow.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for your devotion  and work for  other people's children.

Our grandsons, ages 3 and 7 are "daycare children" but the opposite of what you described.  One has some

"sensitive child"  issues,  but they are both smart,   love each other and self sufficent in many ways.  They  enjoy sports, running wild in the backyard, exploring science,  love books, and puzzles,  and best of all snuggling with grampy !  Great day care and summer camp experiences so far!

We are blessed. 

ALL HAIL MERCURY...The best cruise ship that ever sailed.. We miss her too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

hubofhockey   --- So, you moved from MONTREAL ----the Hub of Hockey ??

Oh--Oh, I feel a new thread coming soon ??

" What cruise line attracts the most LOYAL hockey fans " ?

The Bruins will miss Patrice Bergeron " big time " !!

Fun fact for you.  Based on geography, Oliver Wendell Holmes deemed Boston the hub of the earth, later known as universe.  The Bruins symbol has eight spokes, with the B as the hub, in that regard.  

After Bobby Orr, #37 was my favorite Bruin.  

Tough to say which hockey line has the most hockey fans.  I would say Leafs fans wear their tshirts more than other fans, but not sure which line.  I loved the Alaska cruise out of Vancouver.  Great hockey city.  I’m near Sunrise, FL now during hockey season and every time I go to games there, I miss TD Garden. I suppose cheap tickets make up for missing the atmosphere.  I’m a couple hours south of Tampa, but have a mini-plan for the Panthers (10 tickets in total, 4 games, 2 of them are Bruins and another is Edmonton and the other is Colorado.).  Next cruise will be during the Playoffs next year.  Ouch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

After Bobby Orr, #37 was my favorite Bruin.  

Excellent -- THE best !!

Don't kill me on this---but

I'll take Brad Marchand on my team any day even though he's a bit " screwy ".

Hi I sailed Celebrity Apex in March.  I am 71;  half the passengers on this sailing were under 50.  I loved all the twenty somethings whom I spoke with every morning at breakfast.  We all had fun and none of the teens were out of control or overly noisy.  It's all good and I am glad my health allows me to sail at all.  So cheers to those who are over 60 and those under 50.  

• Like 2