Older vs Younger

georgiaguy

54 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Thank you for posting this. The comments on CC have made me less want to cruise on Celebrity. I’m in my 30s, single, no kids and just want a relaxing vacation with a little pampering. My presence on board the ship does not negatively impact anyone else’s vacation but they complain that advertising is encouraging women in their 30s to cruise. What is so wrong with women in their 30s?

You'll be just fine on Celebrity.  My Wife and I are in our 50's...been sailing Celebrity for a while...we have met many great younger and older folks on board.  These boards can be a bit misleading..I never hear the griping/sniping I see here on board.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Thank you for posting this. The comments on CC have made me less want to cruise on Celebrity. I’m in my 30s, single, no kids and just want a relaxing vacation with a little pampering. My presence on board the ship does not negatively impact anyone else’s vacation but they complain that advertising is encouraging women in their 30s to cruise. What is so wrong with women in their 30s?

If anything we have a lot in common. Just like them I like that celebrity isn’t covered in children running around. Just like them I enjoy good food. Just like them I want to sip my drink (mine is scotch). Just like them I don’t want to see water slides on the ship.

We don't book our cruises, ships, cruise lines, intinaries, etc. based on others positive or negative experiences or opinions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

If anything we have a lot in common. Just like them I like that celebrity isn’t covered in children running around. Just like them I enjoy good food. Just like them I want to sip my drink (mine is scotch). Just like them I don’t want to see water slides on the ship.

If I listened to the not stop whining on CC I would have never gone on a cruise in the first place, almost cancelled my first ever cruise because of it. So glad I didn't.  

• Like 7

I'm in nearly the same boat as you (no pun intended), except I'm a dude. While my experience with Celebrity is a grand total of 1 cruise, I've found that the folks on board are very welcoming and friendly. CC definitely isn't a total representation of all Celebrity guests. I liked it so much, in fact, that I'll be taking my second cruise with them next week and I can't wait! Yes, I know I'm below the median age of the passengers onboard, but to me that's more of a feature than a bug. 😁

Amen! If I wanted to go to a theme park full of families, I'd rather make the 3.5 hour drive to Orlando than take a cruise. Actually, I did that two weeks ago lol.

Edited by miguelmia
Cheeky pun
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Chemmo

We do seem to cross paths and one day I hope we might even be on the same ship!

Also, looks like it’ll be the last time we’ll be on Silhouette from Southampton which is very sad. 

The ‘Saga’ comment wasn’t directed at you! Lol

To everyone else…… could it be that Celebrity’s advertising has always been geared towards the same age range and it’s just us who have become older? 😉

Yes! Hopefully we will. 

With many of the posts on CC, it seems a boisterous maelstrom of personal affronts and self-degradation, all in the name of loyalty, or the lack thereof. It is certainly everyone’s right to personalize the nature of Celebrity’s new promotional strategies, if indeed they feel it is not intended to include them. But why would one feel that way? Why put oneself in a position of lesser importance and decreased desirability when that is not the intention?

A 75 year old cruiser who is relatively healthy has 10 more good cruising years, maybe. A 40 year old cruiser who is healthy has 40 more good cruising years, maybe. Senior cruisers are not a Celebrity liability and the need to expand product awareness with different modes and methods is necessary to enhance product awareness and appeal, to all generations. Don’t take it personal.

Us versus them has a negative connotation and no one should step foot on a cruise ship bearing that mindset. In my case those “them” folks include my three children - all in their 40’s – and seven grandchildren, ages 12 to 26. I will happily cruise with them and all others of their generations, on Celebrity, Royal, et al. That is not a statement which seeks approval and appreciation it is a statement of fact.

DW and I are cruising b2b in May 2024 from London, 19 days on RCCL. The ship has bumper cars. I love bumper cars and I will seek to attain the title of “Bumper Thumper”, leaving kids quaking in their shoes, young adults quivering with fright and older cruisers wishing they were like me. I could just stand by and watch. I choose to clash with titans, of any age.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, miguelmia said:

Yes, I know I'm below the median age of the passengers onboard, but to me that's more of a feature than a bug. 😁

If anything I think it surprised a lot of people that I actually brought my knitting and quilting onboard to work on. They think only old grannies do that… so wrong. Made some great quilting friends onboard my cruise actually, we even went fabric shopping together in port.

weeks away from second celebrity cruise as well we are in the same boat but unfortunately not “on the same boat” 🤣

12 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

Repeatedly folks posting---

spoken about like I don’t matter---

LOL--- Please don't take " anything " tooooo seriously on what " some " people post.

This social media " stuff " can cause heartburn and get you ( me ) all uptight because someone you don't know or care to meet posts a negative comment on what you ( I ) wrote.

There--- I just taught myself a lesson.

LOL--- Ya ever read some of the thread topics that attract 1730 pages--- Like , like --- I better not mention any of them again for fear of  " Pinboy---Get over it already "!!!

About Celebrity--- as long as they don't cancel the golf putting tournament and our Waiter brings my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time, it's all good.

Book and enjoy your cruises.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, sail on the cruise line that best suits YOU, even if it's not the one geared to your demographics. 

We're a family of 4 (with 2 super active teenagers). You'd think that Royal Caribbean or Carnival would be better choices for us, but we've recently enjoyed Holland America and Celebrity more. 

We just returned from the Harmony of the Seas a few weeks ago, and while we had a great time, we agreed that it's not our cup of tea anymore (even my 13yo son, who lived at the flowrider the entire week), said that he liked our last Celebrity cruise more than this one. 

Edited by Tapi

29 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

With many of the posts on CC, it seems a boisterous maelstrom of personal affronts and self-degradation, all in the name of loyalty, or the lack thereof. It is certainly everyone’s right to personalize the nature of Celebrity’s new promotional strategies, if indeed they feel it is not intended to include them. But why would one feel that way? Why put oneself in a position of lesser importance and decreased desirability when that is not the intention?

A 75 year old cruiser who is relatively healthy has 10 more good cruising years, maybe. A 40 year old cruiser who is healthy has 40 more good cruising years, maybe. Senior cruisers are not a Celebrity liability and the need to expand product awareness with different modes and methods is necessary to enhance product awareness and appeal, to all generations. Don’t take it personal.

Us versus them has a negative connotation and no one should step foot on a cruise ship bearing that mindset. In my case those “them” folks include my three children - all in their 40’s – and seven grandchildren, ages 12 to 26. I will happily cruise with them and all others of their generations, on Celebrity, Royal, et al. That is not a statement which seeks approval and appreciation it is a statement of fact.

DW and I are cruising b2b in May 2024 from London, 19 days on RCCL. The ship has bumper cars. I love bumper cars and I will seek to attain the title of “Bumper Thumper”, leaving kids quaking in their shoes, young adults quivering with fright and older cruisers wishing they were like me. I could just stand by and watch. I choose to clash with titans, of any age.   

Southampton perhaps and not London?

12 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

There is a trend I have been noticing that I find a bit frustrating. Repeatedly folks posting here make comments about Celebrity driving away its older customers and how everything thing is targeted toward the younger generations. Can I just say I find it really insulting to be spoken about like I don’t matter and only those who have been cruising for 30 years and are elite have opinions that count? Ok I did say it. I am 40 years old with two kids that are under 5 and pretty much exclusively cruise with Celebrity. Why is it ok to consistently speak down about the “younger generation” as if my money shouldn’t also be sought after by the company. I wont retire for another 25 year likely, but isnt it ok for the CEO to think about me as well. I am not saying to just forget about long time customers but I think younger customers matter as well. Ok rant over. Thanks for listening. 

Honestly, I think you are reading more into the comments than are meant.  It's never been an issue about the younger generation not counting, or not being as important.  I don't recall reading any posts that stated that, or even implied that (at least not intentionally).  The issue at hand is that these days the younger people are the ONLY group that Celebrity seems to care about.  The issue is with Celebrity, not with the younger people themselves.  Those of us "old folks" who have been sailing with Celebrity since the beginning feel like our needs, wishes, desires and so on are being pushed aside to only market to younger people.  Keep in mind also, that when we started sailing with Celebrity we were, in fact, part of the younger generation.  So our feelings are that we mattered then, when we were spending money on cruise after cruise building the brand, but now that the brand is solid we are being made to feel second rate and no longer needed or desired.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Take no prisoners Bumper Thumper.  

We started cruising in our early 40’s and got bitten by the bug. We have enjoyed the company of other guests both younger and older (met a gentlemen in his early 80’s on our first cruise and got on great), happy to see a mix of ages as it adds to the overall vibe 

Our issue is finding kids of school age on cruises outside of term time (UK). We specifically avoid school holidays yet invariably find plenty of children.

Often on itineraries that we would least expect to be family friendly (Far East etc). It’s not exclusive to cruising having found similar on hotel based holidays

I know there are adult only lines/ships but we do prefer Celebrity and find their choice to be fairly limited 

9 minutes ago, waddle said:

We started cruising in our early 40’s and got bitten by the bug. We have enjoyed the company of other guests both younger and older (met a gentlemen in his early 80’s on our first cruise and got on great), happy to see a mix of ages as it adds to the overall vibe 

Our issue is finding kids of school age on cruises outside of term time (UK). We specifically avoid school holidays yet invariably find plenty of children.

Often on itineraries that we would least expect to be family friendly (Far East etc). It’s not exclusive to cruising having found similar on hotel based holidays

I know there are adult only lines/ships but we do prefer Celebrity and find their choice to be fairly limited 

Are you considering holidays for other countries when making your booking. If I’m bored one night I might just do the research for countries most likely to cruise and when their kids are on vacation. I also avoid those times but must admit I don’t know when European countries have their holidays etc. Since Celebrity mostly has US passengers you should be looking at when their kids are in school more so than UK kids.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Honestly, I think you are reading more into the comments than are meant.  It's never been an issue about the younger generation not counting, or not being as important.  I don't recall reading any posts that stated that, or even implied that (at least not intentionally).  The issue at hand is that these days the younger people are the ONLY group that Celebrity seems to care about.  The issue is with Celebrity, not with the younger people themselves.  Those of us "old folks" who have been sailing with Celebrity since the beginning feel like our needs, wishes, desires and so on are being pushed aside to only market to younger people.  Keep in mind also, that when we started sailing with Celebrity we were, in fact, part of the younger generation.  So our feelings are that we mattered then, when we were spending money on cruise after cruise building the brand, but now that the brand is solid we are being made to feel second rate and no longer needed or desired.

This was also my impression.  While I have seen lots of posts by "experienced" cruisers complaining about how many of changes Celebrity has implemented degrade their cruising experience, and how Celebrity, among others, seem to be targeting a younger demographic - I have not seen derogatory comments directed at younger cruisers. The gist of the complaints is that in targeting a younger demographic, Celebrity can "reset" expectations.  While older cruiser's expectations are set by past experiences and levels of service, newer (i.e. younger) cruisers don't have these expectations.  They are being set by the current experience.  This is not a knock on younger cruisers, it is a recognition by older cruisers that the cruise line they love has eyes for someone else.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Are you considering holidays for other countries when making your booking. If I’m bored one night I might just do the research for countries most likely to cruise and when their kids are on vacation. I also avoid those times but must admit I don’t know when European countries have their holidays etc. Since Celebrity mostly has US passengers you should be looking at when their kids are in school more so than UK kids.

We generally cruise Sep-Nov depending on itinerary. That said we have done Med in March, Dubai in April, Norway in April outside Easter hols (not all with Celebrity) and cant remember any being totally child free. We fully expect toddlers and older teenagers whichever cruise we are on 

7 minutes ago, waddle said:

We generally cruise Sep-Nov depending on itinerary. That said we have done Med in March, Dubai in April, Norway in April outside Easter hols (not all with Celebrity) and cant remember any being totally child free. We fully expect toddlers and older teenagers whichever cruise we are on 

A few kids is very reasonable. As you’ve said you know there are lines that are adults only and that choice is yours to make.

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are in our late 70s and have no problem with younger people, what we don’t want is for Celebrity, Princess or Holland America turning their ships into amusement parks with water slides, roller coasters and bumper cars like what Carnival and Royal are.

Amen to that..

The current  marketing for "girls weeks" connotes possible short cruises for bridal showers etc...Sometimes they are spa and beauty oriented,  but more often a party time cruise. 

We have seen wedding party cruisers in the airport..already sloshed!

Hoping they  stay quiet during the flight ( ha ha),  and happy they will head for Cruises other than on X!

I'm 40 and have been cruising since I was 13.  I took my first Princess cruise while in high school, got married on a Holland ship in my early 20s, and took our first Celebrity cruise in 2015.  Although we cruise many lines, we keep coming back to Celebrity because it fits us best.  There's room for people of all ages on Celebrity regardless of the comments you read on this forum or others.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 6

The shift in marketing to focus on a younger demographic has certainly brought out the curmudgeons on CC. Fortunately they are less frequently encountered onboard. But not absent, and not new. I recall my daughter telling me about an encounter nearly 20 years ago, when she was in her late 20s. She and her BFF were waiting in a short line to be seated in Blu. An older woman tapped her on the shoulder and in a loud voice told her that this restaurant was only for those in Aqua cabins. DD looked her up and down, paused, and simply replied "I'm aware of that", before turning her back. Guess who first recommended Celebrity to us; it was our daughter, who already had 2 Celebrity cruises under her belt.

Celebrity doesn't need to target the senior citizen demographic in their marketing. They already fill the vast majority of their elite and zenith cruisers. But in order to get more cruisers who will (or could, if they find the experience meets their expectations) become loyal, repeat customers, they need to target younger people. It is basic Marketing 101. That doesnt mean they want to turn themselves into another Carnival or RCCL. And I've never found the on board experience to be targeted towards a specific age group. Have a look at the people on the dance floor on any silent disco night. There's everyone from youngsters to Great Grandma. I like the mix of ages. If I didn't, I'd be sailing HAL.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, mom says said:

. Have a look at the people on the dance floor on any silent disco night. There's everyone from youngsters to Great Grandma. I like the mix of ages. If I didn't, I'd be sailing HAL.

Made me think of my grandmother who is 83, she’s the fun grandma who will not be left out on a round of shots. Age doesn’t define who likes to have fun. 

I went to search old adds from celebrity and none of them featured anyone over 60. Celebrity hasn’t changed its marketing by a lot but the cruisers that are complaining on CC just don’t remember being young I think.

Its called the Inter-Generational age gap phonemena  but I thought you knew this.  You can read it about in the link below,  here is the key extract.   

Why Generational Differences Matter

In every society, the older generation holds the future in trust for the younger generation. Disparities in experience and interests make generational differences in perception and priorities almost inevitable. But it is the views of the young that are most likely to determine the future trajectory of societies and their relations with other nations. For this reason, the generation now in power—whose worldview was shaped in another era—needs to understand, and where possible accommodate, the views of those who will follow them, a generation shaped by more recent events and priorities. For the future is theirs.

The Intergenerational Gap on Challenges for the Century | German Marshall Fund of the United States (gmfus.org)

I appreciate the thoughts of folks. To be clear, I don’t take anything personal and I am going to spend my dollars where I choose. Also never had a bad cruise because if I am traveling and exploring or relaxing I am happy. 

About the dichotomy of older vs younger, I framed it that way partly because I really don’t like the us vs them and I was trying to point directly at it. I also don’t like when some make others not feel welcome, even when that isnt their intention. Honestly I mostly ignore it, but like I said in the post I have been seeing it more lately or maybe it just feels that way, and I don’t want anyone to not be excited about their vacation.

• Like 3