Is the $5 extra entree charge true in MDR?

RandomUser123

46 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Everyone is aware that this $5 surcharge is not for all 2nd entrees on the menu...

Not so sure about that part, there was a mistaken post elsewhere that misunderstood the * vs ** on the menu and though it was only for the higher value choices, but that was incorrect...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Not so sure about that part, there was a mistaken post elsewhere that misunderstood the * vs ** on the menu and though it was only for the higher value choices, but that was incorrect...

Ok. Still keeping my calm about it all. Have a great Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

So gone are the stacks 6+ inches high of empty lobster tails at least on one ship?

If the purpose for the extra charge is to prevent this kind of thing, I agree with it.  We will have to see how it evolves.  

Maybe the charge for specialty items only is how it will end up.  Not long ago the NY Strip was a surcharge, I believe that now it is included. 

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

So gone are the stacks 6+ inches high of empty lobster tails at least on one ship?

That makes sense !

Does this happen on US cruises ?

Have not seen this on a European cruise.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:20 AM, blueslily said:

Everyone is aware that this $5 surcharge is not for all 2nd entrees on the menu and its not rolled out on all MSC ships, right?  There are some interesting posts in this thread.  Totally agree with one thing here. Change is always possible, at any time in life.

Have a good weekend everyone. Happy cruising. 

well, darn it, it's actually rolled out on the ship we are going to be sailing on. And yes, it applies to all 2nd+ entrees, we've already discussed that.

I see on the menu above that the shrimp cocktail says baby shrimp cocktails. On the past 5 cruise's we have been on it always was jumbo shrimp cocktail that you could get every night...Is this a change and is the always available jumbo shrimp gone each night??????

2 hours ago, jamon said:

I see on the menu above that the shrimp cocktail says baby shrimp cocktails. On the past 5 cruise's we have been on it always was jumbo shrimp cocktail that you could get every night...Is this a change and is the always available jumbo shrimp gone each night??????

You’re right. The menu has changed quite a bit.  We normally sail NCL and they did major menu downgrade at the start of the year.  Looks like MSC is doing the same.

6 hours ago, jamon said:

MSC must change the MDR menu fast.  We were on Seaside 7/23 - 7/30 the shrimp cocktail was JUMBO (not mentioned as baby shrimp on the menu).  

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, darn it, it's actually rolled out on the ship we are going to be sailing on. And yes, it applies to all 2nd+ entrees, we've already discussed that.

We will be on the Seascape. If anyone in the party orders a second, they're ready to pay up, lol. 

1 hour ago, south-carolinagirl said:

Are you able to see the menu before you head down to the dining room?  If so, where and how?  Not very happy with recent changes to the menu and don't want to go if there isn't anything we want to eat there.  TIA 

You can see it in the MSC app while onboard.

Well: It seems that current menus are even shorter now, at least on the US sailings.

Some few notes: It seems the Chefs suggestion is out of the extra fee. It also seems the risotto plate is gone. And it seems the always available are out of the fee. My best bet is that they're trying to control demand just on some of the most sophisticated entrees to avoid waste and because they might to be very short staffed. They'll give you free reign on the cheaper, less sophisticated things though. I believe we will have a version of this here in Europe, but the pasta dish will need to be out of the fee roll, because a typical Italian holiday meal is on the likes of "starter/soup/salad + pasta/risotto + main course + desert". Portions might to be small, but for a 4 courses meal, that is just more than enough food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1