Is the $5 extra entree charge true in MDR?

RandomUser123

On 8/9/2023 at 10:01 AM, Mark_T said:

This thread would stand a better chance of survival without the mention of where she saw the comment 🙂

Yes it has been confirmed on a couple of ships sailing out of US ports, not been mentioned elsewhere yet...

Not sure if this is 'nickel & diming' or a waste reduction measure...

Why?  I thought I left KGB behind (especially, in relation to so innocent business as the cruise industry) when I left USSR in February 1991.

Voyage, Voyage!

Edited by kirtihk

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Why?  I thought I left KGB behind (especially, in relation to so innocent business as the cruise industry) when I left USSR in February 1991.

Voyage, Voyage!

Already answered further up the thread, just have to be careful referencing what are seen as competitive sites.

6 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Already answered further up the thread, just have to be careful referencing what are seen as competitive sites.

I know, I know, it was simply an ironical (with a slightly sarcastic flavor I must admit) rhetorical comment.

• Like 1

Very interesting that MSC has made no mention of this change of  the extra fee for a second entree and the menus being changed like the jumbo shrimp cocktail went down to baby shrimp cocktail...Thanks MSC for being up front with your changes that we have to find out about on cruise critic or other sources...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Well: It seems that current menus are even shorter now, at least on the US sailings.

Some few notes: It seems the Chefs suggestion is out of the extra fee. It also seems the risotto plate is gone. And it seems the always available are out of the fee. My best bet is that they're trying to control demand just on some of the most sophisticated entrees to avoid waste and because they might to be very short staffed. They'll give you free reign on the cheaper, less sophisticated things though. I believe we will have a version of this here in Europe, but the pasta dish will need to be out of the fee roll, because a typical Italian holiday meal is on the likes of "starter/soup/salad + pasta/risotto + main course + desert". Portions might to be small, but for a 4 courses meal, that is just more than enough food.

Oh no - risotto is gone?

If this happened on a European cruise, Italians and myself would revolt and mutiny!

Risottos are the best - had 2 plates every night!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4sallypat said:

Oh no - risotto is gone?

If this happened on a European cruise, Italians and myself would revolt and mutiny!

At least it's the US based menus which have ever been slightly different from the EU ones. I can't believe them removing the risotto dishes on EU based itineraries, nor them up charging them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jamon said:

Very interesting that MSC has made no mention of this change of  the extra fee for a second entree and the menus being changed like the jumbo shrimp cocktail went down to baby shrimp cocktail...Thanks MSC for being up front with your changes that we have to find out about on cruise critic or other sources...

We have this pretty much everywhere these days... Not only MSC. It's over the place right now. Tell me a product or service that is now better than what you had some 15-20 years ago? Perhaps some of the luxury+ venues out there or certain specialty IT services...

My biggest gripe with all of this is that pretty much all the tourism industry seems inebriated with the Ryanair business model. Nothing against that model for such a 1-4 hour "fast" serve product, but now a cruise which goes for some 7 consecutive days in average? It's becoming a little bit too much. I understand a small menu that is the same everyday with one or 2 options changing as daily specials on those times when finding new crew members is being so difficult and you need to control cost and avoid waste. But current changes on cruising are simply being too much on me. On a land holiday I can wholly to anticipate and plan. Don't like what this restaurant is serving? Go on to the next door. On a cruise it is different. I'm stuck in the same place with several of others being served by the same company nonetheless. I'd be ok paying a little more to have all what I need available as simply as it can be. But companies are going otherwise. From limiting what is already included to add charges on those basics as fast food, we have seen it all... If only the base fares remained relatively stable?!... Perhaps I'll be out for awhile... Or simply go up on the market for the inclusiveness level I expect out of a cruise, in other words; cruise less but cruise better would be my stance for the times being...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

We have this pretty much everywhere these days... Not only MSC. It's over the place right now. Tell me a product or service that is now better than what you had some 15-20 years ago? Perhaps some of the luxury+ venues out there or certain specialty IT services...

My biggest gripe with all of this is that pretty much all the tourism industry seems inebriated with the Ryanair business model. Nothing against that model for such a 1-4 hour "fast" serve product, but now a cruise which goes for some 7 consecutive days in average? It's becoming a little bit too much. I understand a small menu that is the same everyday with one or 2 options changing as daily specials on those times when finding new crew members is being so difficult and you need to control cost and avoid waste. But current changes on cruising are simply being too much on me. On a land holiday I can wholly to anticipate and plan. Don't like what this restaurant is serving? Go on to the next door. On a cruise it is different. I'm stuck in the same place with several of others being served by the same company nonetheless. I'd be ok paying a little more to have all what I need available as simply as it can be. But companies are going otherwise. From limiting what is already included to add charges on those basics as fast food, we have seen it all... If only the base fares remained relatively stable?!... Perhaps I'll be out for awhile... Or simply go up on the market for the inclusiveness level I expect out of a cruise, in other words; cruise less but cruise better would be my stance for the times being...

Cost for everything has risen in the last 2 years.  Would you rather MSC do these cost cutting things, or pay $100 more per person per cruise.  

Just the cost of fuel has to be killing them.  Not to mention a shortage of labor drives up payrolls, etc etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just noticed this on their website (Main and buffet restaurants on board | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com)):  

For cruises departing from a U.S. port: The first entrée, appetizers, and desserts are complimentary per each guest. For guests who wish to order a second entrée, an additional surcharge of $5 will be applied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 8/9/2023 at 4:46 PM, mvh said:

You mean the portions were standard upscale restaurant size, not Golden Coral size. No one will go hungry on a cruise. This is an absolute genius move. Why should I (or anyone else) be paying for someone else's extra plate in the cost of my cruise? 

Exactly, they should make it $100 and fleece the gluttons! 🤣

2 hours ago, 4sallypat said:

Oh no - risotto is gone?

Is anyone currently in Yacht Club?   Is it still offered there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Cost for everything has risen in the last 2 years.  Would you rather MSC do these cost cutting things, or pay $100 more per person per cruise.  

Just the cost of fuel has to be killing them.  Not to mention a shortage of labor drives up payrolls, etc etc

Pay the 100 bucks more, but that is just me. Of course the lack of specialty labor force and supply chain problems are another subject, but that is for another day.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:50 AM, cruiser man 60 said:

I think the charge for extra main course is too cut down waste, seen multiple cases on various cruise lines of people ordering 2 main’s because they can then eating half of each & wasting rest!!

i ordered an entree in appetizer size.  Something they said they would flay do. The bought an entrée instead!  No I didn’t eat it all I ate an appetizer portion, so yes there  was food left.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

On 8/16/2023 at 7:19 PM, Nunagoras said:

Pay the 100 bucks more, but that is just me. Of course the lack of specialty labor force and supply chain problems are another subject, but that is for another day.

Hi Nuna ,,,, This of course is not helped when MSC fail to offer new contracts to long time workers who have now gone to other cruise lines, some of whom look after their employees better.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Hi Nuna ,,,, This of course is not helped when MSC fail to offer new contracts to long time workers who have now gone to other cruise lines, some of whom look after their employees better.

Surely, but the problem is general industry wise. I know several Brazilian current Youtubers whom were crew members elsewhere in the industry whom now are far from wishing to return. Some became influencers, some became land based workers, some started their small businesses with the money they have got till the pandemic. And Saudi Arabia huge tourist boom will simply to eat all the Eastern talent available. Simply cruise lines will need to do 2 kinds of things to survive: A mix of automation and the creation of huge training centers to create the next employees waves. Things like serving wine, bear, sodas and coffee drinks in mainline ships will go the automated way. For other things they'll need to train their next employees wave. The next 5 years will be sort of complex in the mainstream industry. On the luxury one things will be a little bit more easy, but even there, it won't be without its pains...

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 10:28 AM, KennyFla said:

I have a MSC cruise booked out of the US and looked at more. I'm indeed seeing prices that are $100 more per person. I'm paying more than $100 more per person. This is the most I've ever paid for a 7 day Caribbean cruise out of Florida on MSC. I'm taking someone and their dad on a first cruise. So, we are going with it. But, I'm not booking anymore MSC cruises right now with the more than $100 price difference. Congrats to folks that are not paying higher prices. Maybe in 2025 for me. 

12 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Wow, $100 more pp, are you serious?   I’m sure MSC will really miss you. Not. 
Be realistic as KennyFla said. Don’t even look at the YC prices, might cause a medical emergency. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I'm not sure if this is in response to my comment. I guess I should have typed $100+ more. My response was to the comment about $100 more. My point was that it is indeed more than $100 more already. But, Im not sure if you were responding to me or someone else's reply.

I'm sure MSC will not miss many people that historically have sailed with them but are taking a break overall from cruising due to cost increases. On these boards, many folks that have sailed with other lines are posting that now they are now trying out MSC because prices on the other lines have gone up so much that they are willing to try MSC, even though their prices have increased as well. So, MSC is getting some new business. 

I actually don't have an issue with the $5 fee for additional entrees. I commented that on earlier posts about that topic when there were the first rumblings about it. 

Overall, I'm OK with taking a break from cruising if I can't find prices that I think are comparable to the value I'm getting. No problem. I plan to enjoy my next MSC cruise that I have booked and then my Celebrity cruise after that. And, if I don't find something else with a good price for what you get, that's fine. Cruising is wonderful. Ive enjoyed it for many years. But, I'm not paying crazy higher prices just to say I'm cruising. To me, that's not rational. 

Happy cruising everyone 🙂

• Like 7