Pill organizer

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

@Joseph2017China - 

Joseph - I hope you see this. 

I am interested in learning of any potential rules/regs/issues when traveling with Rx (non Narcotic) meds.    The only restriction ( did not apply to my specific meds) I was aware of was when I flew  to the Middle East.   I've been successful with a pill organizer for several decades of travel throughout many parts of the world.  

Most of my trips start in the US and travel to Europe, Caribbean or North America ports.    I do have a flight to Amsterdam  in a few weeks. 

Thanks for your assistance.

M

If you google it, you will see a list of medications that require a certificate to be taken into certain countries including the Netherlands.  It is also highly recommended to keep them in their original bottles, vitamins included.  We do not fly anywhere, domestic or internationally, with pills in a pill organizer.  We have boarded a ship in the US with pills in an organizer but with the original bottles with us also.  When cruise originates outside the US, all meds stay in their original bottles until after boarding.  Many have posted that it is not an issue but my DH travels a lot for business and has been stopped twice at TSA checkpoints.  He had all his medications in their original bottles, in a large ziploc bag.  One TSA agent was fairly aggressive questioning the quantity of medications my DH had but let him continue on after commenting that it was a good thing they were in their bottles or he would have missed his connection.  Other time he was stopped, TSA agent just opened the carryon, picked up the bag and looked at it quickly, then put it back in the carryon.

My DH now has Global Entry and has never been stopped again.  He still carries all the original bottles.

17 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I can't remember if you are able to take a pill organizer to hold prescription medication or if you had to bring the prescription bottles with you. Tha k you for your input. 

I put out pills in little plastic bags and throw them in a ziplock.  Never take original bottles.  I have pictures of my vitamin bottles and husbands meds bottles on my phone, but never, no matter where we travel, do I take the actual containers.  I also take at least 3 or 4 days extra for him b/c of his meds.  i don't for me as if I miss a few days of my vitamins, no big deal, but he has heart meds and stuff and has to take those, so always bring extra for him, just in case of delays returning home.

Edited by karena1

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

There is a difference what you are supposed to do, what is required by different governments, and what you decide to do.  Quite simple.  Most answers are telling you what you want to hear, to justify, not doing what might be required, even though never asked.  

So it is your decision, not random strangers to justify what you want.  You decide. 

RCI and the TSA do not care about your medications.

9 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I know of no requirement  to bring individual pill bottles to any Caribbean/US ( New England, Alaska, Hawaii),/ Canada/ European port of embarkation.  When we flew into Dubai, we were advised to bring any bottles if we took a  narcotic.  Others were fine (we were told).  No issue with Dubai customs. 

Joseph. I like to be prepared and follow or be prepared for requirements.   I've traveled to many parts of the world with simply  a pill organizer.   If I am overlooking a requirement to bring certain pill bottles, I am anxious to learn of the specifics.( serious question)  Thanks 

M

Never followed by Royal employees, but from Royal it is just advice.

Personal Items:

We suggest that guests transport all their medications in their carry-on luggage to minimize the potential for diversion or loss of medications and advise that all medications remain in their original, labeled prescription containers.  It is also advisable to pack at least three days of extra medication in the event of an unexpected change in the itinerary of the voyage.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Personal Items:

We suggest that guests transport all their medications in their carry-on luggage to minimize the potential for diversion or loss of medications and advise that all medications remain in their original, labeled prescription containers.  It is also advisable to pack at least three days of extra medication in the event of an unexpected change in the itinerary of the voyage.

Yes, it changed recently.  Not sure why.

5 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Keep anything like a narcotic (that class of drugs) on you or in a safe.  Never leave them in a hotel room or out in your cabin.  I had some taken by a maid once in Denver. It was in a bag, not sitting out.  I couldn’t prove it but I had counted them and knew 2 were missing.  Lesson learned. 

Another good reason to put them in generic containers with incomplete names. (After arriving in country if you are nervous). 

How many people have actually been checked for drugs or Px? I have traveled extensively and while I don’t have anything more potent than Tylenol, everything goes into a little container. I know which is which or write a list. I have never been asked what I have. I can’t imagine carrying all that empty space in pill bottles around. Maybe this is why some people get on the ship with 3 suitcases. 😂 

I take 9 prescriptions, some AM, some PM, some both, so always use an organizer.  Have 32 night sailing coming up so trying to decide whether to buy extra organizers or pack of ziplock bags.  Have pics of bottles on my phone and if need be can call up my UNH account online to show every medication claim I've submitted.

19 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Personal Items:

The following is not in direct response to @taglovestocruise directly, but just a point of reference.

Yep, that is just one reason why I posted that I take the original prescription bottle(s)/containers with me when I travel.  But, I don't do it just because of the Cruise portion of my travels.  Like I said in my post, there are many different jurisdictions that we travel through, flying <(departure airport(s), any layovers, and arrival airport(s)) or driving through, and all could have varying laws dealing with prescription(s)/controlled substances.  It's potential protection against delays while law enforcement may want to verify the legality of "controlled substances".  Apparently, RCCL knows this and makes a recommendation to do so, especially if you have to take your prescription with you while in ports of call in foreign countries. Fortunately, I don't have to take prescriptions with me, I take them in the AM and that's it.  

Example:  You get pulled over for a traffic violation, the cop asks if you have any drugs in your vehicle, and you say yes, I have Oxycodone.  COP asks to see it but it is just in a "Pill Organizer".  He asks for proof of prescription.  You don't have it.   Now the waiting and delay starts.  Note that I did not say that you are in trouble, in jeopardy of being arrested, or anything like that.  At that point, they are under an obligation to verify, again depending on the jurisdiction.

This is not an argument to do what I do.  Just what I do and why and maybe a little "fruit for thought".  Nothing more, nothing less. At present we still live in a free country, you are free to do what you want. I do.