can we carry our carry on suitcases onto the ship?

jrblach

we are each bringing just 2 carry on suitcases - 20 or 21 inch - can we carry these onto the ship instead of checking them?  also, at end of cruise can we carry them off ourselves? we are going on Sky and Regal in Southampton. thanks

16 minutes ago, jrblach said:

we are each bringing just 2 carry on suitcases - 20 or 21 inch - can we carry these onto the ship instead of checking them?  also, at end of cruise can we carry them off ourselves? we are going on Sky and Regal in Southampton. thanks

Yep. That size of suitcase will fit through the scanners so you can definitely take them aboard yourselves as long as you can do so without assistance. As for disembarkation, as long as you can handle the luggage without assistance you can select "walk off" disembarkation and schlep your own luggage off the ship.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, jrblach said:

How long is your voyage?  😉  Oh, forget it now.  I see you are bringing four suitcases and not just two.

Edited by Steelers36

21 minutes ago, jrblach said:

Yes, do it all the time.

I only travel in carry on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrblach said:

Yes, however, you may want to see if you can drop them off in your cabin so you can go have lunch, if your room isn’t ready.

You’ll want self assist to get off with your bags by yourself. No worries.

41 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, however, you may want to see if you can drop them off in your cabin so you can go have lunch, if your room isn’t ready.

You’ll want self assist to get off with your bags by yourself. No worries.

Sometimes the doors are closed until rooms are ready

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Seems like a lot of trouble for no reason unless you are afraid they will lose them 

I tend to agree with this advice.

As long as I've read this board and from watching YouTube videos from many uploaders, I've never heard of people getting their bags poached. In the history of cruising, I can imagine there has been at least one instance of a porter stealing a bag though.

Edited by Mike07

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

if you use an escalator, you must have one free hand to hold onto the railing.

That's certainly true at Fort Lauderdale where there's a staff member or two assigned to oversee that. I think it must be some kind of local regulation. Anyway, there are also elevators available at Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, david63 said:

Out of curiosity why would you want to lug two cases each around when there is an easy option?

Boarding: Be able to unpack as soon as you get to your cabin. No need to possibly wait untilafter dinner to get suitcases delivered to cabin.

Disembarking: Easy to get off without having to search a pile of luggage on shore to find your luggage.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Boarding: Be able to unpack as soon as you get to your cabin.

YMMV on this.  Some cruise lines mention that the cabins won't be ready before a given time (usually 1 or 1:30).  If the room isn't ready, most of the time you'll be able to dump your bags, but any more unpacking is discouraged.

12 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

most of the time you'll be able to dump your bags

But if not then you will have to have them with you wherever you go on the ship which will involve using the lifts which in turn will slow everyone else down.

Not sure what the saving is in unpacking as soon as you get to your cabin - it still takes the same amount of time whenever you do it.

We travel with one carryon & one personal item each. We carry our bags on & off ourselves. After boarding we go to our cabin & leave our bags. More often than not the cabin is ready for us. 

• Like 2

Las March in Fort Lauderdale, you could drop of your luggage (we had two carry one) at the dining room on deck 5 if you wanted.  They tagged your luggage and gave you a copy of tag.  Had lunch on deck 6 and room was ready by the time we finished.

• Like 2

It is so much easier to just drop them off at the dock then go and enjoy the ship. We usually travel with a checked bag and a carry-on bag for the flight, but when we get to the dock we drop all of the bags off for them to handle. The only exception is I have a backpack which has my computer and valuables in it. That I will carry on. I wish I could drop it off as well, but unsure if I would trust them with its contents. It is so nice however to not have to lug suitcases around when at times the elevators and passageways can be quite crowded. 

On 8/15/2023 at 3:16 PM, jrblach said:

Another tip.  Use the aft or forward elevators to drop off your bags in your cabin, less crowded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1