NOW I have a problem with the new Suite policies

sixpackeddie

11 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

As long as suites are fully booked I would not anticipate any changes for the better. Ships are sailing full. Why change a damn thing? If I was Celebrity why would you?

Specifically if that change incurred an added cost to Celebrity it surely will not be considered.  I am surprised the Captain Club members still get a free scoop of Gelato, this has always seemed to be a cheezie $4 value member benefit. The Gelato could also be a smart marketing ploy, get first scoop free and then you will pay for many more on the cruise. I have never gotten more than my one free scoop as I do not find it to be as good as what I can get in Italy.

Edited by terrydtx

20 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

That has been our experience on all previous X cruises. Our butler would automatically bring our Champagne late afternoon as we were starting to get ready for the evening. Guess that won't be happening anymore in SS, unless we can make a standing order with the Retreat Manager (of host whatever they are called now).

I never would have thought to have my butler bring a drink to my cabin, but on our 2021 Equinox cruise our butler saw my DW and I walking down the hall to our cabin with drinks in hand. He looked surprised and said "please Mr. D**** next time call me and I will get them for you, it is part of my job".

• Like 2

Only thing that is clear is that Celebrity is removing perks, inclusions, and services, and not only in the Retreat. Read the other threads here. No included cookies at the gelato stand, no nightly chocolates on the pillows, no snacks in AQ, etc. All in addition to the “butler” and mini fridge confusion in the Retreat. All small things, some might say, but a good cruise is the combined product of small things. The real disturbing thing is that Celebrity is making some negative changes for guests who booked BEFORE the change. All cruise lines rely on a “contract” that is very self-serving and allows them to make almost any change they want to — at any time. So we all have to depend on the reputation of the cruise line, from experience and that of others. Given the increased prices for the Retreat, which gives little room for such “changes”, Celebrity is loosing its credibility with us.

• Like 11

Over and over again, I'm seeing words like "Trust," "Credibility," and "Reputation" being mentioned on these boards, and not in a positive way.

Time will tell if the short-term money grabs will outweigh the loss of dependability for those who used to be repeat customers. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Only thing that is clear is that Celebrity is removing perks, inclusions, and services, and not only in the Retreat. Read the other threads here. No included cookies at the gelato stand, no nightly chocolates on the pillows, no snacks in AQ, etc. All in addition to the “butler” and mini fridge confusion in the Retreat. All small things, some might say, but a good cruise is the combined product of small things. The real disturbing thing is that Celebrity is making some negative changes for guests who booked BEFORE the change. All cruise lines rely on a “contract” that is very self-serving and allows them to make almost any change they want to — at any time. So we all have to depend on the reputation of the cruise line, from experience and that of others. Given the increased prices for the Retreat, which gives little room for such “changes”, Celebrity is loosing its credibility with us.

Well said! 

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

All small things because they are small things, combined a small thing singular. No cookies, chocolates, snacks, how will people survive. Ever once thought how fortunate you are to have the choices that you have? 

• Like 1

While this thread began on the subject of diminishing inclusions, perks, and service in the Retreat suites, it is impossible to isolate this subject from similar things going on in other accommodations on the ships. There seems to be a “cheap out” trend at Celebrity that affects all levels of cruising on this line. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I would have a member of the Retreat Team do this so you don't get charged.  Maybe the labor of doing this and restoring it when you leave will have them reconsider.

If anything, it will get them to completely prohibit doing this instead, given the cost cutting that's happening.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

If anything, it will get them to completely prohibit doing this instead, given the cost cutting that's happening.

Re emptying the  mini bar items...:

If they refuse to do it,  we can bring our own coolers onboard and  forage for ice!

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Re emptying the  mini bar items...:

If they refuse to do it,  we can bring our own coolers onboard and  forage for ice!

If they won’t empty I’ll take a picture of the contents, empty it myself and put the contents under the bed, just as they do.  Last evening it will all be set out on the vanity so they can put it back.  

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

Most of us did not sign up or pay for NO FRILLS cruising.

Maybe the cruisers they are left with will be ones they deserve....

😂 or the ones they lose are the ones they didn’t deserve.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If they won’t empty I’ll take a picture of the contents, empty it myself and put the contents under the bed, just as they do.  Last evening it will all be set out on the vanity so they can put it back.  

good idea.  hoping in our AQ class room they will still  do that for us as always. AQ class usually has very experienced and pleasant attendants. 

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Feel free to point fingers, I respect people’s opinions and am never offended when they differ from mine, be a boring world if we all agreed. But to your point, sure, people have a right to be upset not getting something they paid for. But my approach in life is take a breath and consider the impact of it. No canapés, no cookies, etc., won’t change my cruising experience.

but there have been many many more reductions other than cookies and chocolate!. To keep repeating just “cookies and chocolate or canapes ”  makes this seem like a childish issue.  For those that have been with Celebrity for years, we see ALL the changes!   And we see the slippage from Premium downwards.    We see the cuts , the staff shortages (even in their land based agents) removal of foods from menus/cheaper cuts and offerings, reducing OVC selections to cheaper amenities and on and on.   In a previous post I mentioned gone is the plate with some green apples on embarkation     Many cuts ADD up.  Oh   On Equinox in January, the joke was “Where’s the cheese”.   Celebrity used to have a great cheese station.     Celebrity pricing has not reflected all the removals. They’ve done the reverse - gone way up.   Get profit up.  

This IMO is why  others and us, are not happy. Paying premium but getting a lower product.     Would you buy a fully loaded car, get it and find no air conditioning and be happy with accepting that?    Celebrity was not Carnival.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

That Celebrity would place the minibar items under the bed is ridiculous for many reasons.  But, I also wouldn't want a minibar item that was under a bed.  

I do think at times when someone has received an extra bottle of XYZ, and stuff of that nature, it's leftovers that the enterprising crew member gives to the next guest.  But, storing alcohol under the bed should be a no no, including because then guest may be doing it for reasons other than wanting the cooler.  And, for revenue, they should want to keep a good inventory.   (Which apparently they were not if minibars were not charged when / if they should have been.  Kind of thought it was a way to make passengers feel like they got a perk).

Edited by Cap_D

Well, all we know is that in 2018 and 2019, on the Eclipse and Equinox , in CS and RS suites (all respectively) we had unlimited mini fridge use at no additional charge. Now it seems that wouldn’t be the case. And also, we had priority embarkation and disembarkation, and now I can’t determine the status of this. We don’t want to haul beer and cokes from the Retreat lounge. We don’t want to “sneak it” onboard. Not for the Retreat prices. We want it provided in the mini fridge for that price, and we want priority boarding and debarking (on Celebrity’s large ships) or we will look elsewhere. Otherwise, we will book elsewhere. And we have.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, C4HCG said:

All small things because they are small things, combined a small thing singular. No cookies, chocolates, snacks, how will people survive. Ever once thought how fortunate you are to have the choices that you have? 

I saw where you said you would be unhappy if the only beer was Bud Lite. Be careful what you say, it might come to that. But, that is a small thing so I guess you would survive since you are fortunate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

Better still clearly tell them that you don’t want these items, and if they won’t remove just take a picture of it stacked in the hallway outside your cabin.

What happens to it after that is not your responsibility as they have been clearly told.

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I saw where you said you would be unhappy if the only beer was Bud Lite. Be careful what you say, it might come to that. But, that is a small thing so I guess you would survive since you are fortunate.

I feel fortunate yes.

• Like 1

I promise, I intend this to be my last post on this thread — but don’t guarantee it! Here’s the history of the Retreat.

Back before 2001, many of us in our younger days used to just cruise in an outside room on Royal. Drinks and things were extra and outrageously priced. But then, we could carry on our own soda and beer, and we could buy spirits onboard and take it to our room. Then, some fool at Royal decided to prohibit all that and X-ray our bags (in the name of 9/11) and remove anything like that till cruise end. Other mass lines soon followed. Also sale for consumption of spirits was stopped. So many went with all inclusive cruises among the lux lines, which then had close to mass market prices. Radisson, (now Regent), Silverseas, and Seaborne come to mind. Then, some non-lux lines saw a market for an all-inclusive ship within a ship late in the first decade of the 2000’s. I think the MSC Yacht Club was about the first. A separate area within a mass market ship accessible only with a card. Celebrity wasn’t able to duplicate the walled off concept for its existing ships, but did a great job with its suite class product be carving out separate dining and lounge rooms, with priority access and inclusions. NCL established “The Haven” as a separate area on newer ships to copy MSC’s Yacht Club, but as late as 2015, many of its ships lacked separate dining, lounge, and included drinks in other areas. These concepts were generally at less cost than the true lux lines mentioned above, and still offered some “large ship” entertainment and activities. Celebrity, in our opinion, did the best with this concept, despite not having a totally separate area on older ships for suite class. Of course now, the new Edge class ships have separate Retreat areas.

But, now, Celebrity and the other lines with this separate type of cruising have all diminished the product and have raised prices to almost that of true lux lines, which haven’t diminished their product. Those of us who do not care about large ship entertainment and activities again prefer lux lines. “Ship within a ship” is sinking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

As more and more 'extras' are removed from the Celebrity product bringing it closer to Royal, then what's the point of it?

Regards,

Cublet

It’s a good sign

Next they will do is lower the prices of Sky suites.

I only cruise for bigger room for comfort.

Edited by verizon

9 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

But, now, Celebrity and the other lines with this separate type of cruising have all diminished the product and have raised prices to almost that of true lux lines, which haven’t diminished their product. Those of us who do not care about large ship entertainment and activities again prefer lux lines. “Ship within a ship” is sinking.

Like you we have been suite cruising many years…We clearly remember when the only PH perks were two bottles of spirits and a ‘free’ specialty dinner.

True luxury lines are also not receiving the best of reviews. I have friends recently back from Regent who had a good cruise but were lamenting a lesser quality cheese board, a smaller included wine selection and a few other miscellaneous ‘not quite the standard it was’ things…They also commented that the list of ‘included’ vs ‘extra cost’ activities seemed less balanced…

Re the ship within a ship concept I think it is very much alive and kicking as bookings and pricing show, not just for Celebrity but for other lines too.

Many of us don’t want a small ship we do want the bigger ship experience but the ‘club’ ambiance of the Retreat areas to return to when we are ready…I am aware what we pay for for a RS or PH is comparable to a ‘more luxury line’ but I don’t want a more luxury line I want the ship within a ship experience and I don’t think I am alone…

• Like 6