updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

At least they will still give you Fcc's if you have to isolate although you are on your own if you test positive prior to boarding.

What happens if during my cruise I have COVID-19 or test positive?

Any guest reporting or exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms should notify our onboard medical staff and be seen for testing. Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 should isolate for at least 5 days from the day they test positive and until they have been symptom free for 24 hours.

Any guest who must isolate during their cruise, will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the days spent in isolation. The Future Cruise Credit will be the value of the cruise fare paid for the number of cruise days missed less government taxes, fees and port expenses, and will be subject to our standard terms and conditions for Future Cruise Credits

That is encouraging. 

I would swear that FCC bit wasn't there first thing this morning. They are still making changes to that "Healthy Cruising" page on the run this afternoon.

11 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

My concern is that a lot of people will ignore any symptoms they may have so they don't have *their* holiday ruined by having to cancel.

Their previous honourable behaviour was 'encouraged' by the possibility of being found out at the port.

However it would be so easy to fake a RAT if people were determined enough to cruise regardless.

And even with PCR tests you can be negative one day and positive the next, which is what happened to me when I caught Covid on a cruise last year. And RATs aren't as sensitive as PCRs.

What annoy the heck out of me was people who were coughing all the time who wandered around the ship without wearing a mask, and who made no effort to distance themselves from other passengers let alone get tested. But it's always been like that, even before Covid. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

My concern is that a lot of people will ignore any symptoms they may have so they don't have *their* holiday ruined by having to cancel.

Their previous honourable behaviour was 'encouraged' by the possibility of being found out at the port.

I agree that is very possible. We did 5 cruises under the former protocols, and felt that was already the case.

On each cruise we felt something was circulating from day dot, and that was backed-up with numbers to NSW health. On the 3rd day of the inaugural cruise back, P&O had already determined that an upcoming 11 night cruise was too risky for elevated numbers, so split the cruise. I can only presume that some needed even more encouragement. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Is that P&O?

It's completely gone from Princess. There is no mention of Covid anywhere so I doubt they'll be offering the FCCs any more.

Yes,

P&O is the only dedicated local site to update, and is well out of step with their sister brands.

Carnival.au still has a July FAQ, while their US site still needs an update as well - it currently lists the Luminosa transpacific as a vaxx/test cruise, although passengers would have been advised about the recent changes directly. Princess has no relevant health info.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You'd think that people would have learnt from the pandemic about how to reduce the spread of respiratory illnesses.🙄 🙄

You'd think people would care about other people's health. I just make sure I wear my mask all the time, only taking it off to eat or drink on a cruise and make sure I'm sitting as far away from others as possible. It makes cruising a much diminished experience but I'm stubborn and won't be denied the experience - I just modify my own behaviour to protect myself.

The good news is I have less sore throats and colds these days now I wear a mask everywhere!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

You'd think people would care about other people's health. I just make sure I wear my mask all the time, only taking it off to eat or drink on a cruise and make sure I'm sitting as far away from others as possible. It makes cruising a much diminished experience but I'm stubborn and won't be denied the experience - I just modify my own behaviour to protect myself.

The good news is I have less sore throats and colds these days now I wear a mask everywhere!

We were doing that too, only taking our masks off when sitting in a bar with a drink or when dining. But I still caught Covid because, despite choosing seats away from others,  some stupid woman stood right over me while talking to her friends seated behind me and she had a very bad cough. Go figure! 

31 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We were doing that too, only taking our masks off when sitting in a bar with a drink or when dining. But I still caught Covid because, despite choosing seats away from others,  some stupid woman stood right over me while talking to her friends seated behind me and she had a very bad cough. Go figure! 

That's terrible. These days I just glare and move!

I’m happy all pre cruise testing has been dropped.  I’m afraid it gave a false feeling of security anyway. It could be faked so easily.

We have done at least 8 cruises since the restart.  I got covid on our Alaska cruise this summer. There were plenty of people onboard unmasked and coughing.  It was like a mild cold. No cough, scratchy throat and stuffy nose only. I only tested because I was going to see the grands.
I had similar symptoms in December but didn’t test. I know I’ve had it twice at least. My first time in July of 2022 I was sick and miserable, terrible sore throat, coughing, extreme fatigue for 3 weeks. I was triple vaccinated at the time. Obviously I’m building natural immunity which is the best kind.

It’s not going away, we need to learn to live with it. DH didn’t get it and he slept with me. Take some vitamins to boost your immune system while traveling and get on with life. 

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I realise the rules relaxation was inevitable, but I just hope that the cruise lines stay serious about the washy washy in the buffets and offer some better distancing options between tables in the dining rooms.

I've been avoiding dining rooms lately as even though I ask for a table for two, these tables are jammed together where they essentially form one table, which you share with several people. Now is not the time to be sociable at close distance.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

I disembarked from the current Coral Princess world cruise in New York. In the 74 nights I was on board, I only saw a handful of passengers wearing masks. It appears that some passengers had COVID in the first two or three weeks when there were quite a lot of cabins with the little table outside indicating that the passengers were in quarantine. At one stage there were probably 16-18 cabins with passengers in quarantine. However, after another week or two, it was rare to see a quarantine cabin. Isolation worked.

We all had to present a negative COVID test before boarding and show proof of vaccination. That didn't stop COVID getting on board. I can only assume that some people might have contracted COVID shortly before boarding and it didn't show up on the test.

Edited by Aus Traveller

8 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I realise the rules relaxation was inevitable, but I just hope that the cruise lines stay serious about the washy washy in the buffets and offer some better distancing options between tables in the dining rooms.

I've been avoiding dining rooms lately as even though I ask for a table for two, these tables are jammed together where they essentially form one table, which you share with several people. Now is not the time to be sociable at close distance.

I am at present looking at Carnival Luminosa and I see they don’t have hand washing facilities! What the hell.

Will do my usual though even after hand washing Once seated use a dettol hand wipe for cutlery salt and pepper.

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

I am at present looking at Carnival Luminosa and I see they don’t have hand washing facilities! What the hell.

Will do my usual though even after hand washing Once seated use a dettol hand wipe for cutlery salt and pepper.

Cheers Carole

Usually there are restrooms nearby so go there to wash your hands and if necessary use a paper towel to open the door afterwards. I do that before going to the MDR anyway, especially if I've been having a predinner drink in a nearby bar.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I disembarked from the current Coral Princess world cruise in New York. In the 74 nights I was on board, I only saw a handful of passengers wearing masks. It appears that some passengers had COVID in the first two or three weeks when there were quite a lot of cabins with the little table outside indicating that the passengers were in quarantine. At one stage there were probably 16-18 cabins with passengers in quarantine. However, after another week or two, it was rare to see a quarantine cabin. Isolation worked.

We all had to present a negative COVID test before boarding and show proof of vaccination. That didn't stop COVID getting on board. I can only assume that some people might have contracted COVID shortly before boarding and it didn't show up on the test.

Did this cruise go to Australia at all?  I’m assuming that is why you were asked to provide proof of vaccination and a negative test.  Going forward I assume that all cruises except ones maybe going to Mainland China will have no pre-boarding protocols.  Cruising really hasn’t fully restarted in China but I know that major brands will start sailing there in the early spring.  China did drop the requirement to test before flying into their country so who knows how they will feel in a few months.

10 hours ago, habitatnal said:

Did this cruise go to Australia at all?  I’m assuming that is why you were asked to provide proof of vaccination and a negative test.  Going forward I assume that all cruises except ones maybe going to Mainland China will have no pre-boarding protocols.  Cruising really hasn’t fully restarted in China but I know that major brands will start sailing there in the early spring.  China did drop the requirement to test before flying into their country so who knows how they will feel in a few months.

That cruise originated in Australia so, yes, at the time it started vaccination certificates and proof of RAT were required.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, habitatnal said:

As I said in my post, it was the Coral Princess world cruise. It didn't go to Australia, it started in Australia. Princess currently only operates two world cruises every year - one from Australia (currently on the Coral) and one from Los Angeles (this year on the Island Princess).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, habitatnal said:

It is currently the last Princess vaxx & pre-test cruise. Even those that boarded in New York for the last sector a couple of weeks back have done so prior to the end of the mandates.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

No handwashing facilities that I saw on Carnival Splendor either. Maybe they were there but I never saw them and unlike other cruises I’ve been on no reminders from staff to wash hands. 

Even pre-covid, P&O was very big on using hand sanitizer before entering any of the restaurants and had staff stationed at all entrances sanitizer bottle at the ready. I have a small, travel size bottle of sanitizer which can be clipped to belt or handbag and used it regularly on our last cruise. Perhaps do likewise if your ship is not providing sanitizing stations on board. From memory, Big W sells them in their travel accessories section.

Edited by ceeceeDee

Australia Removes All Remaining Cruise Industry COVID-19 Protocols

August 30, 2023 (7 p.m. AEST) -- All remaining cruise-specific COVID-19 protocols have been dropped with immediate effect in Australia as the country prepares for its busiest summer season since the end of the pandemic.

For cruise passengers, this means mask wearing, testing and proof of vaccinations are no longer mandatory.

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns has signed paperwork officially removing the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols, which also included the states of Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.

The protocol came into force in April 2022, when cruising made its carefully-managed return in the country following the pandemic -- and is the last major cruise destination in the world to retain cruise specific COVID-19 protocols.

CLIA Managing Director in Australasia Joel Katz said: “This brings Australia into line with other countries internationally and gives clarity to cruise passengers ahead of the coming summer cruise season.

“As the last major cruise destination to maintain cruise-specific measures, Australia’s ongoing testing and vaccination requirements had been causing increasing confusion among travellers, particularly as measures on land and at airports had been removed.”

This follows news that all measures had been dropped at the federal level as of Friday, on the advice of Australia’s Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly and a decision by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC).

Katz added: “The cruise industry’s top priority will continue to be the health and safety of guests, crew and the communities we visit.

“Cruise lines will continue to abide by their own robust health and safety measures and hygiene standards, and the industry will work closely with health authorities into the future.”

Carnival Cruise Line was among the first cruise lines to react to the news that Australia has dropped all remaining Covid-19 restrictions for cruisers.

In a statement, Kara Glamore, Vice President of Carnival Cruise Line, Australia, said: "We are thrilled with this long-anticipated announcement, which brings clarity to our guests and harmonises the Australian cruise sector with global standards."

Carnival Cruise Line has 112 sailings in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific through December 2024, with Carnival Splendor sailing from Sydney year-round, Carnival Luminosa from Brisbane seasonally.  

Princess Cruises, which currently has three ships -- Coral Princess, Grand Princess and Royal Princess in Australia -- has also responded.  

"We applaud the decisions by governments throughout Australia to make visiting and exploring the country easier and more convenient for all travelers. This long-awaited development means that all cruise enthusiasts can once again indulge in the sheer pleasure of exploration, and Princess Cruises looks forward to helping guests to connect to the vibrant cultures, breathtaking landscapes, and captivating histories across the magnificent Australian coastline and beyond."

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/australia-removes-all-remaining-cruise-industry-covid-19-protocols

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am also active on the Disney message boards.  Someone on that message board said that they called Disney Cruise Line.  Disney told them that the reason why they have not taken down the requirement to be vaccinated/tested is because not all the Australian states have dropped the protocols.  I was under the impression that all of the Australian states did drop the protocols.  Has anyone heard that certain states haven’t agreed to drop the cruise protocols?

Since the rescinding of the Eastern Seaboard protocols last month has anyone cruised out of Victoria without confirming their vaccination status? I just read on another forum that the Disney cruise line, though their policies are not yet updated, they would not be checking vaccination status, but that it will be on the port employees to be checking. So are they checking cruising out of Victoria? 

39 minutes ago, freeanydaynow said:

Since the rescinding of the Eastern Seaboard protocols last month has anyone cruised out of Victoria without confirming their vaccination status? I just read on another forum that the Disney cruise line, though their policies are not yet updated, they would not be checking vaccination status, but that it will be on the port employees to be checking. So are they checking cruising out of Victoria? 

You could email the Port and ask them.

• Like 1