How do you rate MDR menu these days?

thefog

On 8/18/2023 at 9:27 AM, OSUZorba said:

Are they still only serving one plate at a time, or will they bring you 2 apps or 2 entries at the same time?

Have them plate your second choice on the SAME plate with the first one.  Or, order a double portion on one plate of a single item, not TWO separate orders.

I just looked at the 7 night menus. Luckily, there is salmon on the menu 3-4 nights.  Only one night will I be eating all appetizers for dinner.  I don't eat beef, I hate lamb, don't like the way RCCL cooks pork, so I've always stuck with fish and chicken.  I see that coq au vin is off the menu now, too.

I was told a few months ago the fruit and cheese medley plate had been added back on request.  Anyone know if this is true?

48 minutes ago, pcur said:

I just looked at the 7 night menus. Luckily, there is salmon on the menu 3-4 nights.  Only one night will I be eating all appetizers for dinner.  I don't eat beef, I hate lamb, don't like the way RCCL cooks pork, so I've always stuck with fish and chicken.  I see that coq au vin is off the menu now, too.

I was told a few months ago the fruit and cheese medley plate had been added back on request.  Anyone know if this is true?

I think I saw it under desserts when I was looking at my allure cruise.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

Nothing will change until people stop signing up for more cruises. I doubt they even care about the ratings people are giving, all they care about are future bookings. Once those start to drop, maybe they’ll look into why. They are sailing full, there is no incentive to improve the food quality. Plus it drives people to the specialty restaurants, even more profits.

I can't help but think that new cruisers who have no experience with what once was may actually think the food is great.... As long as the cabins continue to get sold, I don't believe RCI would notice or care if the once-loyal stopped booking. 

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GimmeOcean said:

The menus showing in the app for our Dec. Anthem cruise are decidedly uninspiring.

I hope something changes before we sail or I see us spending most nights at Windjammer.

I hope so as well. Lately the choice is between an uninspiring MDR and an underwhelming WJ.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, pcur said:

Have them plate your second choice on the SAME plate with the first one.  Or, order a double portion on one plate of a single item, not TWO separate orders.

Not necessary they will serve it the way you want it - might have to talk to the headwaiter or Maitre D but it will work every time - they are tired of enforcing the this stupid rule already!👍

• Like 1

On the upcoming dry docks, I expect to see them installing cafeteria lines in the MDR like in elementary schools. Grab your tray, silverware and a carton of white milk and the friendly server will slop your meal on a plate. 
OR, you can opt for one of our specialty restaurants at a minimal (not) upcharge…

1 minute ago, HicksRA said:

On the upcoming dry docks, I expect to see them installing cafeteria lines in the MDR like in elementary schools. Grab your tray, silverware and a carton of white milk and the friendly server will slop your meal on a plate. 

Hopefully we'd get the option of chocolate milk too. Hey, I'm on vacation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HicksRA said:

OR, you can opt for one of our specialty restaurants at a minimal (not) upcharge…

I know it’s been said before but don’t give them any ideas 

11 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

They have been doing that since they first introduced specialty restaurants.

This is a genuine question that I've been wondering.   For those that buy the UDP and Deluxe Drink Packages, at that price-point wouldn't a more expensive cruise line that included those things in the base price be cheaper/better?   

I guess maybe once you get free drinks, other perks maybe people stay with Royal for that.  

• Like 2

6/10

Less choices overall, but the bigger factor is that proteins are a lesser quality than ever. Something can look good on the menu but when you get it, it's very disappointing. I get them serving less vegetables as a lot of people just do not eat them. You can always order more of whatever, but I often just give up and move on to WJ or get a voucher martini to ease the pain.

If you can get a good cruise price it's tolerable but that is becoming more difficult.

Edited by marci22
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

This is a genuine question that I've been wondering.   For those that buy the UDP and Deluxe Drink Packages, at that price-point wouldn't a more expensive cruise line that included those things in the base price be cheaper/better?   

I guess maybe once you get free drinks, other perks maybe people stay with Royal for that.  

One reason I can think of...  Many of the "Luxury" lines don't have the vast entertainment and activity options and vibe of a Royal ship. 

While not "Luxury" per se, we were considering a 7 night cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse next year but chose a 5 night on Liberty instead.  LOVE Celebrity Solstice class ships but we'll have our kids onboard and there is very little to do other than just relax, eat and go to evening shows.  Things are very sleepy at night.  No putt putt, no rock climbing, no ice show, no flowrider, no slides, no escape room, no laser tag...  Don't get me wrong, we'll be on the Celebrity Equinox with the kids in December for 5 nights but I think some like all the entertainment and activities on Royal ships along with the overall ship designs which I think Royal wins across all cruise lines.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

One reason I can think of...  Many of the "Luxury" lines don't have the vast entertainment and activity options and vibe of a Royal ship. 

While not "Luxury" per se, we were considering a 7 night cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse next year but chose a 5 night on Liberty instead.  LOVE Celebrity Solstice class ships but we'll have our kids onboard and there is very little to do other than just relax, eat and go to evening shows.  Things are very sleepy at night.  No putt putt, no rock climbing, no ice show, no flowrider, no slides, no escape room, no laser tag...  Don't get me wrong, we'll be on the Celebrity Equinox with the kids in December for 5 nights but I think some like all the entertainment and activities on Royal ships along with the overall ship designs which I think Royal wins across all cruise lines.

A good explanation of why different people can book the same cruise and have completely different opinions on the outcomes.

My September 2022 voyage on the Oasis was hit or miss in the MDR. The Windjammer was very disappointing. My April 2023 voyage on the Enchantment of the Seas was 5/10 for the food and 9/10 for service. The service was good and the food was adequate in most cases. I have definitely tempered my referrals of RCI concerning their food. I always say you will not go hungry. You will not have to cook and clean. I am very careful to avoid saying I thought it was great, good, or bad. Everyone has their own opinion of what those words mean.

I was able to score very good prices for my 2022, 2023, and 2024 cruises before the recent price increases of 100% to 250% more than what I paid. I do not think the prices are fair for the current food quality compared to the past.

I am holding off on any more reservations at the current prices.

RCI still has five more chances to change my mind.

• Like 7

We were on the WOS in May and it was the worst experience in food quality I have had in 20 cruises.  Now the service was excellent and they tried hard.  I just ate at playmakers and booked specialty dining for the remaining three nights. (Oh pizza and room service as well). The MDR had various empty tables, while specialty dining was tightly booked.  The mediocre cafeteria food is indeed sending folks to pay more.  I have virgin and NCL cruises up next to try some new avenues.  I'm not anti RCCL, but I won't eat at the MDR again and the costs of specialty dining are considered when I price compare my cruises. 

Edited by nimbex1970
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

I'm not anti RCCL, but I won't eat at the MDR again and the costs of specialty dining are considered when I price compare my cruises. 

You get my point about the cost of an RCI cruise needing the UDP added to the price if one wants the quality of food that used to be the norm in the MDR.  Adding the new higher UDP package for two to the 100% to 250% price increases allows much leeway to try other cruises which have this package added into the original pricing.

Like yourself, I am pro RCI but the cruises which I have participated on so far in 2022 and 2023 are not improving in quality. I would like to come on this board and say everything is rosy and they are a good deal for what you pay.

They are a good deal for what I PAIDED. I am not so sure about the price going forward.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You get my point about the cost of an RCI cruise needing the UDP added to the price if one wants the quality of food that used to be the norm in the MDR.  Adding the new higher UDP package for two to the 100% to 250% price increases allows much leeway to try other cruises which have this package added into the original pricing.

Like yourself, I am pro RCI but the cruises which I have participated on so far in 2022 and 2023 are not improving in quality. I would like to come on this board and say everything is rosy and they are a good deal for what you pay.

They are a good deal for what I PAIDED. I am not so sure about the price going forward.

We did a cost analysis with the RCL UDP and drink package and found great options with Virgin and NCL.  Previously I would have never considered them. Add new ships to explore, itinerary and it's a win win. 

Instead of working on it RCCL doubled down with the inconsistent only one meal at a time (which really irritated me last cruise), the upcharge after only one lobster and ya'll get where I'm going. Virgin has amazing dining venues and I'm beyond excited to sail with them.

Should RCCL have just maintained the quality of MDR food, I never would have gone looking. Mind you I still have some cruise dates to fill in.. but price wise RCCL isn't winning.  I ended up with 3 NCL booked, when I started with RCCL searches.  

I hope this turns around quickly as I love the RCCL ships and experiences, other than the food. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

4 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

We did a cost analysis with the RCL UDP and drink package and found great options with Virgin and NCL.  Previously I would have never considered them. Add new ships to explore, itinerary and it's a win win. 

Instead of working on it RCCL doubled down with the inconsistent only one meal at a time (which really irritated me last cruise), the upcharge after only one lobster and ya'll get where I'm going. Virgin has amazing dining venues and I'm beyond excited to sail with them.

Should RCCL have just maintained the quality of MDR food, I never would have gone looking. Mind you I still have some cruise dates to fill in.. but price wise RCCL isn't winning.  I ended up with 3 NCL booked, when I started with RCCL searches.  

I hope this turns around quickly as I love the RCCL ships and experiences, other than the food. 

Sorta to this point, Royal is pretty smart with the loyalty retention once you reach Diamond level. The 4 free drinks and the coffee in the Diamond lounge were a major benefit to us on our Alaskan cruise (our first as Diamond).  We didn't need to spend nearly as much on drinks and it really cut that cost down.  Can't say much about the MDR and other complimentary dining though. It, without a doubt, has declined in quality since 2021.  I'm interested to see how things are on the Celebrity Equinox in December.  I know they had major cutbacks in the buffet for dinner, but that doesn't impact us as we "always" eat our dinners in the MDR.

NCL prices have really jumped, and I'm not finding them as competitive as they were a couple of years ago or more.  Of course, there may always be those gems out there with a good price to dig out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

NCL prices have really jumped, and I'm not finding them as competitive as they were a couple of years ago or more.  Of course, there may always be those gems out there with a good price to dig out.

I guess we are all "Looking for a Heart of Gold.." (Neil Young)

😁

• Haha 2

On 8/22/2023 at 8:05 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

I haven't found this to be true.  I have purchased the UDP twice since the menu changes on 1/14/23.  Both times the total was around $220 - $250 per person.  That is far away from what the more expensive and inclusive cruise lines will charge per person.  

One UDP was an extra $25 per day, and the upcoming one next month is $60 per day.  Both include gratuities.  I consider this money well spent for a quieter, less crowded place to eat, and excellent food.

I had a terrible experience earlier this year:  they had crowded the MDR with so many tables and chairs, that when I got up to leave, the dining room was completely full, and with the chairs pushed out from the table with people occupying them, I literally couldn't find a way out!  It was like navigating a maze, since I was seated in the middle of the room.  I had to scout a route, walk it, then scout further, etc.  

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, pcur said:

I haven't found this to be true.  I have purchased the UDP twice since the menu changes on 1/14/23.  Both times the total was around $220 - $250 per person.  That is far away from what the more expensive and inclusive cruise lines will charge per person.  

One UDP was an extra $25 per day, and the upcoming one next month is $60 per day.  Both include gratuities.  I consider this money well spent for a quieter, less crowded place to eat, and excellent food.

I had a terrible experience earlier this year:  they had crowded the MDR with so many tables and chairs, that when I got up to leave, the dining room was completely full, and with the chairs pushed out from the table with people occupying them, I literally couldn't find a way out!  It was like navigating a maze, since I was seated in the middle of the room.  I had to scout a route, walk it, then scout further, etc.  

Oh ya, for sure.  One of my problems with the MDR is the tables for two.  They are so close that you can literally reach over, without bending, to the table next to you and grab the salt & pepper.  Also, to get in or out of the chair that isn't next to the walkway, you had to move the table to the left or right to make a pathway to get in or out.  I don't know how they can advertise these tables as "Tables for Two", they are anything but!  Full disclosure:  I haven't been to the MDR in many years, for dinner, I don't know if they have changed that configuration.  But, that is one of many reasons I gave up on the MDR.  My wife and I are happy with our own company and don't want to be sitting on someone else's lap.