For all questions regarding Explora

frogfish12

46 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Guess we’ll find out when we enter NY harbour on the 25th when we pass Lady Liberty. All they will tell us on board is they don’t know for sure. 

I find that bizarre. Is the Captain visible? Maybe ask him the next time you bump into him…

Captain is a she. Seen her rarely. There is no such thing on this ship as Captain’s Welcome Party and staff introduction. No captain’s table in dining room. No photos posted of senior staff or bios in daily program. There isn’t even a Main Dining Room but six very nice venues. 
There is no Cruise Director or assistants. No Team Trivia. 
All takes a little getting used to. Not sure yet how I feel about this new way of cruising after 60 years of traditional routines. At first it was jarring and impersonal but getting used to it. We were not particularly partial to welcome and farewell parties especially after the first of several segments. 
This is more like a bus on a continuing journey rather than a cruise with a distinct beginning and end. Some passengers come for as few as three days. Some, like us, are here for a month. 
Live and learn, right? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Captain is a she. Seen her rarely. There is no such thing on this ship as Captain’s Welcome Party and staff introduction. No captain’s table in dining room. No photos posted of senior staff or bios in daily program. There isn’t even a Main Dining Room but six very nice venues. 
All takes a little getting used to. Not sure yet how I feel about this new way of cruising after 60 years of traditional routines. At first it was jarring and impersonal but getting used to it. We were not particularly partial to welcome and farewell parties especially after the first of several segments. 
This is more like a bus on a continuing journey rather than a cruise with a distinct beginning and end. Some passengers come for as few as three days. Some, like us, are here for a month. 
Live and learn, right? 

That seems more or less the mainstream MSC product just on a smaller ship with "free" caviar and Moet et Chandon available!... By and large; I'm tired of captain's receptions and the likes; they can all go. Nowadays give me soft classical music by the atrium and a soft show on the show venue (E doesn't have a theater, it is rather a multi purpose beautiful lounge where you can do it all from a religious service to a cabaret show with drinks). Let's see on where they'll to settle this one... Congrats to the description. This company, while softer at a glance seems actually crazier than Virgin Voyages, minus the hard rock ambiance and the somewhat sexualized part of the whole experience. Difference? If it wasn't for the pandemic, Virgin would be a market changer, and it is still around there as that to an extent. Explora, it seems nobody has reason to worry on them in the industry, at least for now... Time will tell. But, once a somewhat adventurous cruise addict myself, I may very well to book a cruise with them till there is just to see what the heck that is!... Virgin is out for me. I'm too old for the target and I want more silent experience!...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whipsnade said:

Live and learn, right? 

Captains or other officers are also not visible at MSC ships. I guess Explora is following that route.

Although we are not particularly fond of Captains celebrations or welcome parties, we do like to meet captain and officers. This is a nice custom on Azamara in which officers (with a couple of rather cold types who make an exemption) are always visible and making rounds. I wonder how is Heike feeling on this new environment. She has a wonderful attitude towards guests and it was always a pleasure to meet her on board the Azamara ships.

Ivi

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saminina said:

Not a single thing mentioned that we will miss.  I'm guessing the three day passengers earn a living in the travel industry.

I would miss trivia and duplicate bridge. I like having a cruise director although not critical. A really great one can enhance the cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Captains or other officers are also not visible at MSC ships. I guess Explora is following that route.

Although we are not particularly fond of Captains celebrations or welcome parties, we do like to meet captain and officers. This is a nice custom on Azamara in which officers (with a couple of rather cold types who make an exemption) are always visible and making rounds. I wonder how is Heike feeling on this new environment. She has a wonderful attitude towards guests and it was always a pleasure to meet her on board the Azamara ships.

Ivi

I’ve observed a love fest for Heike from Azamara. It seems to me that a lot of the complaints we’ve heard about customer service would have been her responsibility, or am I mistaken? Again not knowing how the MSC Hotel Director is different from the equivalent role on EJ.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

I’ve observed a love fest for Heike from Azamara. It seems to me that a lot of the complaints we’ve heard about customer service would have been her responsibility, or am I mistaken? Again not knowing how the MSC Hotel Director is different from the equivalent role on EJ.

I think someone posted she left the ship in Hamburg?

29 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

I can’t answer your question re Heike’s role with absolute accuracy however as a Heike” cheerleader “ having sailed with her on several Azamara voyages I do know that she will do her upmost to respond and resolve any guest issues.

9 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I think someone posted she left the ship in Hamburg?

I believe Heike returns to the ship at the end of October.

• Like 2

We also have no problem with the lack of "Welcome Aboard" or Captains receptions.  To partially quote and old tale about a British "Lady" on a Cunard cruise, when she was invited to dine with the captain she quickly responded, "sir, I do not dine with the hired help."  If the officers want to maintain an aloof attitude, then we shall happily settle for socializing with our fellow passengers :).  

A week ago, we came off a month-long Seabourn cruise where they had the usual receptions.  We ignored all but one (for that we had a specific invite).  The reality is that on mass market lines folks often go to these receptions because they get a free drink or perhaps a snack.  This is not an issue on luxury all-inclusive lines.  On Seabourn, the senior officers used to be very visible and would often host tables in the MDR.  But this seems to have changed, post COVID, and we are not privy to the reasoning.

Regarding the NYC port issue, we do find the situation appalling and completely out of character for any cruise line.  While we have adapted by making two sets of plans (depending on whether the ship ports in NYC or Bayonne) this is a ridiculous situation.  If this represents the attitude of EJ towards its customers, we do not forecast a good future for the line.

Hank

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

A week ago, we came off a month-long Seabourn cruise where they had the usual receptions.  We ignored all but one (for that we had a specific invite).  The reality is that on mass market lines folks often go to these receptions because they get a free drink or perhaps a snack.  This is not an issue on luxury all-inclusive lines.  On Seabourn, the senior officers used to be very visible and would often host tables in the MDR.  But this seems to have changed, post COVID, and we are not privy to the reasoning.

Regarding the NYC port issue, we do find the situation appalling and completely out of character for any cruise line.  While we have adapted by making two sets of plans (depending on whether the ship ports in NYC or Bayonne) this is a ridiculous situation.  If this represents the attitude of EJ towards its customers, we do not forecast a good future for the line.

Hank

Hank -- agree but when we were on Encore in May and we saw Captain Dave almost every day having coffee in the morning before making his rounds.  One time we talked almost 30 minutes about his shared interest in horses.  Other senior officers same.  Dinners/tables, definitely a COVID thing.

What is the issue with NY versus Bayonne, as last time I looked it was listed on the mid town terminal schedule.   I know Crystal has a similar issue and they were pulled from the schedule.   Apparently the port is limiting number of ships to 3 (or using a passenger count).    We are on SS in November and hoping for no change...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Hank -- agree but when we were on Encore in May and we saw Captain Dave almost every day having coffee in the morning before making his rounds.  One time we talked almost 30 minutes about his shared interest in horses.  Other senior officers same.  Dinners/tables, definitely a COVID thing.

What is the issue with NY versus Bayonne, as last time I looked it was listed on the mid town terminal schedule.   I know Crystal has a similar issue and they were pulled from the schedule.   Apparently the port is limiting number of ships to 3 (or using a passenger count).    We are on SS in November and hoping for no change...

On the Quest, we did see and chat with the very friendly Captain, but none of the senior officers routinely interacted with passengers at Seabourn Square or by hosting tables (a change from our previous SB cruises).  We did enjoy the cruise and even booked a similar future cruise while onboard.

As to the NYC situation, my concern is that the poster who is currently on E1 cannot get an answer about where they are docking.  For folks not familiar with the two ports, the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is right in the city (12th Ave near 52nd Street) and allows easy access to Manhattan via taxis, Uber, city buses, or even walking.  Bayonne is in New Jersey, and trekking to NYC can take an hour (especially in rush hours) each way!  The Bayonne port is essentially in the middle of nowhere.  The two ports could not be more different.  Also keep in mind that the Sept 25 - Oct 13 Canada/NE cruise includes two overnights (which are supposed to be in Manhattan).  A move to Bayonne would create lots of logistical problems (i.e. would EJ provide constant bus service to/from NYC?).  If there are issues with the Port Authority of NY/NJ than EJ should, at a minimum, update passengers on the situation.  

Hank

Hank

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, saminina said:

I'm guessing the three day passengers earn a living in the travel industry.

No - whilst there was an abundance onboard from the industry there were many 'paying' guests taking a 3 day 'taster cruise' from Hamburg to Southampton - myself and wife included.

We are so glad we did this 3 day cruise as we found out very quickly that this ship & company is most certainly not for us and we will not be booking any further journeys (!!).

In any case we did have a longer cruise booked with them in 2025 but EJ have taken care of this by trashing much of their forthcoming itineraries ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Having met Heike during her time in Azamara, I very much doubt that she will be responsible for the mistakes that Explora is committing on board. What seems to be going on with Explora, I guess it is responsibility of a centralized management. This centralized management are a usual characteristic from MSC. 
Those of us who have sailed with MSC many times, know what to expect from that company. They have positive and negative aspects like every other cruise line. We cruise with MSC and we will most probably continue doing it, because we accept MSC’s particularities as long as we find an itinerary that suits us at a price we are willing to pay.

Now, the problem with Explora, is that we have heard from their pre sailing marketing, how luxurious, special, etc, etc, etc, this cruise line was going to be. The prices attached to the cruises from Explora are high end and those of us who have booked with them had high expectations. We did not imagine things. We were promised that they were going to deliver the best of the best. However, up to now, this promise is not being fulfilled. Up to now every thing paying guest report about Explora is a “deja vu” from MSC.

Ivi

• Like 5

I was recently on the Silver Moon

Although chatting with officers is not critical to my enjoyment, I was astounded at how accessible the officers were on that cruise.  One day I was in the elevator alone and the captain got on and he spent a full twenty minutes chatting with me (we stepped outside of course). I was surprised.  He was a young captain and he talked to me about his training to be an ice captain (for Silver Endeavor) and many other things.  In the Arts Cafe (the coffee place) the officers would mix with guests and chat.

From what people are posting it seems to me that Explora is MSC with a few add ons and higher prices.  That will not make them competitive with Silversea, Seabourn, Regent or even Crystal (despite the old ships).  A gorgeous ship alone will not be enough IMO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am sure at the end of the day we will be docking in Manhattan. They will not miss the opportunity to entertain and show off ship to NYC TAs. 
My point was that here on board either they don’t know (not possible) or have not communicated to guest relations. I am guessing the latter. 
We live in Manhattan and one of the reasons we booked this trip was so we could get a cab and be home in 15 minutes. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I am sure at the end of the day we will be docking in Manhattan. They will not miss the opportunity to entertain and show off ship to NYC TAs. 
My point was that here on board either they don’t know (not possible) or have not communicated to guest relations. I am guessing the latter. 
We live in Manhattan and one of the reasons we booked this trip was so we could get a cab and be home in 15 minutes. 

E ambassador gave me that info some time ago that Manhatten is the port dock. We shall see thanks 

Maybe see you on board

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

E ambassador gave me that info some time ago that Manhatten is the port dock. We shall see thanks 

Maybe see you on board

The port of NY schedule shows it 2 days in Mid Manhattan on the front end 9/25 and 26 and 10/12 and 13.  It is listed as MSC Explorer.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Never make a fifteen minute cab ride home to be a reason to book a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some serious questions, if someone on board could respond.

1) ship to shore per minute phone rate?

2) do they serve (real) maple syrup?

3) quality of paper products in bathroom?

All questions I would not need to ask on the so called luxury lines.  Nowadays, I do need to supply my own maple syrup on SS and SB.

12 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Live and learn, right? 

Wow. We’re going in with an open mind but it’s starting to sound like it might be our first and last Explora. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Live and learn, right? 

What's interesting is that there IS a CD hired - she just hasn't boarded yet which begs the question/statement:  "HUH??!!!"

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tanyacroberts/

I was trying to figure this out but someone else was also listed on Linkedin as CD but their posts stopped 5 months ago .... I'm wondering if Tanya wasn't  immediately available after the first person didn't work out ....

14 hours ago, bitob said:

I was recently on the Silver Moon

Although chatting with officers is not critical to my enjoyment, I was astounded at how accessible the officers were on that cruise.

Similar to my experience on Silver Dawn maiden voyage. We were on the quite short Deck 10, which leads to the bridge. One morning I was struggling to get the cabin door to close properly from the outside. I was approached from behind by the Captain who joined me in my efforts to close the door, but he had no more luck than I. He immediately got on his phone to summon help and waited until the maintenance guy arrived to explain to him the problem and got it fixed.  A Captain showing that the guests matter !

Compare that to my experience on Explora last week. I interacted with the two most senior officers (excluding the Captain).  One of them clearly demonstrated that the guests were an inconvenience and got in the way of his daily routine.

The second was onboard with his wife and young child. Together they showed near contempt for the guests (and other crew) whilst sitting in the Cafe Crema lounge. The truly appalling behaviour was witnessed by several guests, who reported this on 'the other place'

So - based on my experiences last week EJ would do best to keep the senior officers in the back office away from the guests because they appear to do more harm than good ! 

• Like 2