Rate increases

camper49

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I checked every single day.  Is that too often? lol

Nope. That’s what I do too! 😂

Being a cruiseaholic it’s all part of the adventure. I basically make a favorite of each booking we have and then click on each of them every morning to see if any of the fares have come down.

For those interested here’s an example of a PCL link I saved to my Favorites. I learned this technique from a frequent cruiser on another Forum. Previously I would go to each cruise line’s main web page we had a booking with and search for each cruise. Since we usually have 15+ booked at any one time, this new technique definitely saved me a lot of time each morning! 😁

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=H403&recentlyViewed=true

BTW we’ve refared our VS booking on this cruise twice saving over $3200 pp!

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, doghog said:

We booked our March 2024 Caribbean Enchanted cruise on December 2022. So far we have received three price reductions. Maybe we over paid in December 2022. 😉

Are you able to refare or have to cancel and rebook? All the lower prices I have seen on our booked cruise come with the caveat that it is for new bookings only. Our TA tried to get ours refared in July and was told by Princess the only was to cancel and rebook. 

4 minutes ago, hobo1937 said:

Are you able to refare or have to cancel and rebook? All the lower prices I have seen on our booked cruise come with the caveat that it is for new bookings only. Our TA tried to get ours refared in July and was told by Princess the only was to cancel and rebook. 

For us we have never (yet) had to refare one of our existing bookings. In fact, we recently refared our VS booking last week on the below itinerary when a VS became available after the category had been sold out for weeks. A few days after we refared our booking, the category was sold out again.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=H403&recentlyViewed=true

If I might ask, where does it say “for new bookings only” when you’re checking prices of an itinerary on the Princess web site? I’ve never seen that before.

Of course it goes up (and it will tomorrow). That way they can put it on sale / short term discount at a later date and still be over the minimum they are willing to accept

Edited by Ombud

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For us we have never (yet) had to refare one of our existing bookings. In fact, we recently refared our VS booking last week on the below itinerary when a VS became available after the category had been sold out for weeks. A few days after we refared our booking, the category was sold out again.

If I might ask, where does it say “for new bookings only” when you’re checking prices of an itinerary on the Princess web site? I’ve never seen that before.

It's in tiny print  when it describes the T&C for the current price.  There are times even with a lower price our promotions and air fare make our current total fare less.

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It shows up in the terms and conditions for the current fare. Currently the fare is a 50% off but it was also there for 2 previous fares on our cruise, a 40% off and a local resident fare. I I go to main page to try and book a cruise it says the current price is a 50% off deal, if I click on the 50% off link the new booking only shows up under general terms and conditions near the top. 

3 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

It's in tiny print  when it describes the T&C for the current price.  There are times even with a lower price our promotions and air fare make our current total fare less.

Do you mean this?

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses additional: $393 USD
To View accessible staterooms, select the "I require an accessible stateroom" option at the Number of Guests Step.

*Please note that prices are listed per person, non-air cruise-only and based on double occupancy. Third and Fourth guest fares apply to the 3rd and 4th guests booked in the same stateroom as the First and Second guests. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are subject to change and Princess reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full. Prices are subject to change based on availability. Stateroom views are considered unobstructed unless noted otherwise. Obstructions do not include certain nautical items like handrails, dividers or ship hardware. For balcony staterooms, the view is determined from the perspective of the balcony railing. Prices shown in USD. Please review Passage Contract for Cancellation Policy.

4 hours ago, CanuckCurlers said:

Not sure where you were checking prices but have heard that you should always clear your cookies when going back to travel sites as it is not unusual for suppliers to up the prices when you return showing an interest in a product and they think you are ready to book. Could be a myth but my husband and I can be searching for products and get different prices at the same time depending on if we are going back to show each other what we've found.

4 hours ago, memoak said:

That was very common last year with ships sailing at 60% or so. In June we were on the Discovery and it was packed to the max with tons of families. We refare when possible but full is full

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Sure, but that doesn't happen on Princess.com.

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Never saw that on the Princess website, but have seen it on Hotel websites. 

I agree with these responses. Princess IT is too busy screwing up other things to manage something sophisticated like this. Given their track record they'd probably lower prices the second and third times you check. I'd bet senior management is way too scared to allow them to tackle something that could have such a negative impact on the bottom line.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, hobo1937 said:

It shows up in the terms and conditions for the current fare. Currently the fare is a 50% off but it was also there for 2 previous fares on our cruise, a 40% off and a local resident fare. I I go to main page to try and book a cruise it says the current price is a 50% off deal, if I click on the 50% off link the new booking only shows up under general terms and conditions near the top. 

Ah, the fare is associated with a sale of some sort rather than just a reduction in price to try to make a particular category more favorable to book.

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Do you mean this?

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses additional: $393 USD
To View accessible staterooms, select the "I require an accessible stateroom" option at the Number of Guests Step.

*Please note that prices are listed per person, non-air cruise-only and based on double occupancy. Third and Fourth guest fares apply to the 3rd and 4th guests booked in the same stateroom as the First and Second guests. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are subject to change and Princess reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full. Prices are subject to change based on availability. Stateroom views are considered unobstructed unless noted otherwise. Obstructions do not include certain nautical items like handrails, dividers or ship hardware. For balcony staterooms, the view is determined from the perspective of the balcony railing. Prices shown in USD. Please review Passage Contract for Cancellation Policy.

GENERAL TERMS APPLICABLE TO ALL OFFERS IN THIS ADVERTISEMENT (“Offer(s)”): Unless otherwise indicated in an Offer’s terms, Offers only available to legal residents of North America. Offers only available for new bookings, on select cruises, on a limited availability, are capacity controlled (regardless of stateroom availability), and may not be combined with other offers or promotions (aside from those listed herein). Other exclusions may apply; void where prohibited. Changes or refunds may not be permitted. Offers and their parts (if any) are not transferable, not substitutable, and not redeemable for cash. Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd. (“PCL”) is not responsible or liable for any printing errors. Offers may be changed or revoked at any time. A non-refundable deposit is required for all stateroom guests and amount of deposit varies according to the cruise length, stateroom type, and number of stateroom guests.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Ah, the fare is associated with a sale of some sort rather than just a reduction in price to try to make a particular category more favorable to book.

But the problem is the fares are always under some kind of sale. I have yet to see a time when there isn't a sale of some sort associated with the booking. 

True. In fact, our TA initially told us we would probably have to rebook the cruise with the fare reduction we were asking about last week. However, as it turned out the PCL rep she worked with over the phone just refared the booking. Maybe it just depends on who your TA talks with. Not quite sure why some folks have to cancel and rebook where others get to simply refare their existing booking.

But I will say if our TA told us we would definitely have to cancel and rebook a fare with the possibility of losing our existing cabin, we would pass as we usually book a cruise when it first comes out so we can pick the cabin we want.

One reason might depend on whether a specific itinerary is covered under a specific ongoing sale. My guess is our above Antarctica cruise was not one of those itineraries included in any ongoing sales.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, hobo1937 said:

I called and requested the price adjustment. Same reservation number and no change to any OBCs, dining preference or cabin number. Everything has stayed the same from the original booking.

Just now, davekathy said:

I called and requested the price adjustment. Same reservation number and no change to any OBCs, dining preference or cabin number. Everything has stayed the same from the original booking.

The only thing we’ve found lately if we refare a booking with a start date after Sep 2023 is that we will lose our Shareholder Benefits OBC as both my DW and I are retired military and both get the MOBC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

True. In fact, our TA initially told us we would probably have to rebook the cruise with the fare reduction we were asking about last week. However, as it turned out the PCL rep she worked with over the phone just refared the booking. Maybe it just depends on who your TA talks with. Not quite sure why some folks have to cancel and rebook where others get to simply refare their existing booking.

But I will say if our TA told us we would definitely have to cancel and rebook a fare with the possibility of losing our existing cabin, we would pass as we usually book a cruise when it first comes out so we can pick the cabin we want.

One reason might depend on whether a specific itinerary is covered under a specific ongoing sale. My guess is our above Antarctica cruise was not one of those itineraries included in any ongoing sales.

We are booked in a window suite and there are only a few of them so that is why we are reluctant to rebook.

• Like 1

Our Australia / Tasmania B2B cruise for November has gone through the roof since we booked, and the overwater bungalows that we booked post cruise in New Caledonia for a song (apparently someone fell asleep at the wheel of their booking engine) have literally gone up to over 10x what we booked at. Sometimes the early booking is the best break! 🥂

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Our Australia / Tasmania B2B cruise for November has gone through the roof since we booked, and the overwater bungalows that we booked post cruise in New Caledonia for a song (apparently someone fell asleep at the wheel of their booking engine) have literally gone up to over 10x what we booked at. Sometimes the early booking is the best break! 🥂

book early .... book often. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Enjoy the OWB.  We were lucky to enjoy one for a few days off Taha'a in FP.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, PacnGoNow said:

Mine always have.  We usually book 1 to 2 years out.  Never know these days what will happen.  I booked 2024 trip 2 months ago and it went down once so far.  YMMV

Over the years we have counted on the price dropping significantly after we book way in advance.  But the last 4 have only gone up.  A 14 day cruise we have booked for Feb 2024 has gone up almost $5,000 since we booked it - and I thought it was pricey back then 🙂  The last 3 BIG sales all increased the prices on the cruises we had booked.

1 hour ago, bjkTX said:

Over the years we have counted on the price dropping significantly after we book way in advance.  But the last 4 have only gone up.  A 14 day cruise we have booked for Feb 2024 has gone up almost $5,000 since we booked it - and I thought it was pricey back then 🙂  The last 3 BIG sales all increased the prices on the cruises we had booked.

I’m afraid that might be the wave of the future.  If they keep filling these ships.