Serious disappointment with Constellation Aug. 7-17, 2023 Italy, Turkey, and Greek Islands

osnv17

This was our 3rd cruise on the Constellation, so we did have some reference points and something to compare it with. To our great regret, it was getting worse every time we sailed the Connie, and it has come to a point where we are seriously evaluating our further relationship with Celebrity. In fact, at the prices they want nowadays, the value is just not there…

As a point of reference, we sailed on the Constellation pre-COVID, right after COVID and just now. The whole management has changed since our last trip on it and it clearly shows. Just to outline the new approach to “customer service”, I was genuinely shocked to be awaken in my cabin by a soliciting call from the Spa promoting their so-called “sale”. Is Celebrity now in the telemarketing business and do I really have to put up with it on my vacation for the thousands of dollars I paid? If I need the Spa services, I will come to you, but don’t you dare trying to push those down my throat. This is certainly a new low for Celebrity.

On three different occasions, we were charged for a drink without ever receiving or signing a check/receipt. The charges just mysteriously appeared on our account. I don’t believe this kind of behavior is legal anywhere, including the international waters. A conversation with the bar services manager took care of the charges, but if you are about to travel on Celebrity, watch your account very closely. The funniest thing was that these charges were for the drinks that we already had multiple times as part of our classic package… Very shady practice.

While the invited magician and comedian were excellent, the singers and dancers reminded of a high school talent show, - screaming like crazy instead of actually singing, out of pitch, very difficult to enjoy. The other entertainers, outside of the mentioned magician and comedian, were really nothing to write home about. I had to pinch myself multiple times to make sure I was not on a Carnival cruise.

The food was not good at all. In the main dining room, we were handed yesterday’s menus on two different occasions (so much for the “great service”). One night, we were seated at the table where the sun would hit us directly in the eyes. When we asked the window shade to be lowered, the response was: “Unfortunately, it’s not working”. This should give some idea of the quality of service provided by Celebrity.

The lobster, besides being tiny, was super salty and hard to eat; the prime rib on the last night was similar to something one would get at Silver Diner or a university dining hall. We could not even finish it and left. I have read a lot about the buffet cutbacks for dinner. Honestly, the cutbacks are not that noticeable, but the variety and quality of food is just not there.

While we had a fantastic room steward (interestingly enough, no small talk or fake smiles, just the job done very well), the cabins and bathrooms are in a desperate need of upgrading. We did not pay much attention to that, but dark grout was all over the place in the bathroom.

It took us 3 hours(!) to get on shore in Zakynthos, this is how poor the tendering service was. Oh, and standing in line to the Guest Relations for 30 minutes did not add to a pleasant, and I might add very expensive, vacation.

So overall, a very disappointing experience. Celebrity has definitely reached a new low in practically all areas, at least when it comes to the Constellation. While some setbacks were expected, this was far worse than we imagined it would be. I am not certain how anyone can look straight in the eyes and suggest that Celebrity is still positioning itself as a premium cruise line.

No more Constellation for us, and after one more cruise already booked on the Millennium, most likely no more Celebrity either. It is truly sad to realize and experience the current state of what used to be a great cruise line in the past. I hope the light bulb will finally go off in the heads of the execs and they will stop turning away loyal customers by providing them with poor experiences. Less service for more money can hardly work.

And the last thing, which I don’t attribute to be Celebrity’s fault, is that all of us came back with COVID that we definitely picked up on-board with multiple people coughing and sneezing all over. Just a feather in a cap to make this trip more memorable…((

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Thanks very much for your utterly depressing, yet necessary, review of the Constellation.  We have an upcoming TA and for the first time ever, I'm actually dreading this cruise.  Of course, this is just after achieving Elite Plus on the last cruise.  We have a TP and Hawaii-Vancouver scheduled for next spring, and if my views match yours, we'll cancel and move on.  I don't see any point in trying RC, as their style was never my own.  After all these years.....ugh.

• Like 1

Had a similar experience in regards to shows on Beyond in January.  I was on Apex in March 2022 and the main production shows where outstanding!!!   On Beyond in January 2023 it was incredibly difficult to listen to, bad singing, off key, out of pitch just bad,  left early the two show we when to, didn't bother with the third.

1 hour ago, osnv17 said:

This was our 3rd cruise on the Constellation, so we did have some reference points and something to compare it with. To our great regret, it was getting worse every time we sailed the Connie, and it has come to a point where we are seriously evaluating our further relationship with Celebrity. In fact, at the prices they want nowadays, the value is just not there…

As a point of reference, we sailed on the Constellation pre-COVID, right after COVID and just now. The whole management has changed since our last trip on it and it clearly shows. Just to outline the new approach to “customer service”, I was genuinely shocked to be awaken in my cabin by a soliciting call from the Spa promoting their so-called “sale”. Is Celebrity now in the telemarketing business and do I really have to put up with it on my vacation for the thousands of dollars I paid? If I need the Spa services, I will come to you, but don’t you dare trying to push those down my throat. This is certainly a new low for Celebrity.

On three different occasions, we were charged for a drink without ever receiving or signing a check/receipt. The charges just mysteriously appeared on our account. I don’t believe this kind of behavior is legal anywhere, including the international waters. A conversation with the bar services manager took care of the charges, but if you are about to travel on Celebrity, watch your account very closely. The funniest thing was that these charges were for the drinks that we already had multiple times as part of our classic package… Very shady practice.

While the invited magician and comedian were excellent, the singers and dancers reminded of a high school talent show, - screaming like crazy instead of actually singing, out of pitch, very difficult to enjoy. The other entertainers, outside of the mentioned magician and comedian, were really nothing to write home about. I had to pinch myself multiple times to make sure I was not on a Carnival cruise.

The food was not good at all. In the main dining room, we were handed yesterday’s menus on two different occasions (so much for the “great service”). One night, we were seated at the table where the sun would hit us directly in the eyes. When we asked the window shade to be lowered, the response was: “Unfortunately, it’s not working”. This should give some idea of the quality of service provided by Celebrity.

The lobster, besides being tiny, was super salty and hard to eat; the prime rib on the last night was similar to something one would get at Silver Diner or a university dining hall. We could not even finish it and left. I have read a lot about the buffet cutbacks for dinner. Honestly, the cutbacks are not that noticeable, but the variety and quality of food is just not there.

While we had a fantastic room steward (interestingly enough, no small talk or fake smiles, just the job done very well), the cabins and bathrooms are in a desperate need of upgrading. We did not pay much attention to that, but dark grout was all over the place in the bathroom.

It took us 3 hours(!) to get on shore in Zakynthos, this is how poor the tendering service was. Oh, and standing in line to the Guest Relations for 30 minutes did not add to a pleasant, and I might add very expensive, vacation.

So overall, a very disappointing experience. Celebrity has definitely reached a new low in practically all areas, at least when it comes to the Constellation. While some setbacks were expected, this was far worse than we imagined it would be. I am not certain how anyone can look straight in the eyes and suggest that Celebrity is still positioning itself as a premium cruise line.

No more Constellation for us, and after one more cruise already booked on the Millennium, most likely no more Celebrity either. It is truly sad to realize and experience the current state of what used to be a great cruise line in the past. I hope the light bulb will finally go off in the heads of the execs and they will stop turning away loyal customers by providing them with poor experiences. Less service for more money can hardly work.

And the last thing, which I don’t attribute to be Celebrity’s fault, is that all of us came back with COVID that we definitely picked up on-board with multiple people coughing and sneezing all over. Just a feather in a cap to make this trip more memorable…((

Yes, this is disappointing to hear your experience as we are on Constellation for the first time in December and having cruised X prior with no or little of negative experiences, I will provide my input in December. I'm not hopeful at this point that X will reverse some of their decisions that are lessening the brand. Time will tell.

• Like 1

My first (and only) prior sailing with Celebrity was on the Constellation when she was only a month or two into service. She was a glittering and elegant pleasure palace then. Sounds like she’s showing a bit of her age these days, but then again, so am I. 

Earlier this summer I was on an Oceania cruise that was essentially botched by a single inexcusable error by the cruise line. That egregious mistake caused me to dwell on all of the other little things that went wrong on that cruise rather than the numerous things that went well. It didn’t help that I was paying so much more than I had for my previous Oceania cruise a few years prior and the product being delivered was clearly inferior to that cruise in nearly every way. 

In isolation, none of the issues in this report is that big a deal in my mind. I can forgive any one of them (I will grant that the spa solicitation was over the top). But when you add them all up and layer in your expectations based on your prior cruises on the same ship, it creates serious cognitive dissonance. And when you start looking for flaws, you’ll find them. I know that’s what I experienced with my Oceania cruise in June. I’m still bitter about that one, and I won’t be going back. 

I believe that’s why we’re seeing a lot of negativity on all the social media sites for all of the mass market lines right now, including in some posts I’ve made. The big boost in fares combined with the death by a thousand cuts is causing experienced cruisers to balk. After a while, those thousand tiny cuts add up. 

Edited by hankandteri
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

Yes, this is disappointing to hear your experience as we are on Constellation for the first time in December and having cruised X prior with no or little of negative experiences, I will provide my input in December. I'm not hopeful at this point that X will reverse some of their decisions that are lessening the brand. Time will tell.

Your experience in December may be very different. What I heard form a couple of the officers on-board is that Celebrity may go to the same approach with the senior ship management as they do with the captains. Essentially, instead of a one-term contract and a follow-on reassignment, I believe they would try to assign senior management to a ship for a much longer term. I am not sure how different the things would become, but I learned from one of the officers that he had 3 different supervisors in 4 months...

1 hour ago, hankandteri said:

My first (and only) prior sailing with Celebrity was on the Constellation when she was only a month or two into service. She was a glittering and elegant pleasure palace then. Sounds like she’s showing a bit of her age these days, but then again, so am I. 

Earlier this summer I was on an Oceania cruise that was essentially botched by a single inexcusable error by the cruise line. That egregious mistake caused me to dwell on all of the other little things that went wrong on that cruise rather than the numerous things that went well. It didn’t help that I was paying so much more than I had for my previous Oceania cruise a few years prior and the product being delivered was clearly inferior to that cruise in nearly every way. 

In isolation, none of the issues in this report is that big a deal in my mind. I can forgive any one of them (I will grant that the spa solicitation was over the top). But when you add them all up and layer in your expectations based on your prior cruises on the same ship, it creates serious cognitive dissonance. And when you start looking for flaws, you’ll find them. I know that’s what I experienced with my Oceania cruise in June. I’m still bitter about that one, and I won’t be going back. 

I believe that’s why we’re seeing a lot of negativity on all the social media sites for all of the mass market lines right now, including in some posts I’ve made. The big boost in fares combined with the death by a thousand cuts is causing experienced cruisers to balk. After a while, those thousand tiny cuts add up. 

While I do agree with you that the issues in isolation are not earth-shaking, the compound effect is what eventually gets you. I tried not to look for any flaws and enjoy the itinerary and experience, but it looks like the flaws were looking for me. I did not even mention other minor things that we simply ignored, but I had to answer a question that kept popping in my head - what am I paying the inflated rates for if the elementary things are not even taken care of? How can a tequila sunrise have no alcohol in it? Why did my cocktail only had 4 ingredients instead of 7? Why would Al Bacio staff "forget" about my wife's order until I went and got it myself? Yes, all of those are minor, but they are part of the service and experience that we paid for and something that we used to get flawlessly during our prior sailings.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, osnv17 said:

Your experience in December may be very different. What I heard form a couple of the officers on-board is that Celebrity may go to the same approach with the senior ship management as they do with the captains. Essentially, instead of a one-term contract and a follow-on reassignment, I believe they would try to assign senior management to a ship for a much longer term. I am not sure how different the things would become, but I learned from one of the officers that he had 3 different supervisors in 4 months...

Interesting. I'll try to check with officers when we are on-board in Dec. 

Your review is depressingly following the lines of recent Celebrity reviews, surely they need to change course. Thank you for your honest comments and fingers crossed things improve for your Millennium cruise. 
Incidentally we were charged for a drink which was included in our Elite hours allowance, only noticed by checking the account on the TV, necessitated a trip to Guest Services to have the charge removed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, osnv17 said:

While I do agree with you that the issues in isolation are not earth-shaking, the compound effect is what eventually gets you. I tried not to look for any flaws and enjoy the itinerary and experience, but it looks like the flaws were looking for me. I did not even mention other minor things that we simply ignored, but I had to answer a question that kept popping in my head - what am I paying the inflated rates for if the elementary things are not even taken care of? How can a tequila sunrise have no alcohol in it? Why did my cocktail only had 4 ingredients instead of 7? Why would Al Bacio staff "forget" about my wife's order until I went and got it myself? Yes, all of those are minor, but they are part of the service and experience that we paid for and something that we used to get flawlessly during our prior sailings.

Seems like these were some of the issues some experienced on the COVID re-opening. Though we sailed on Apex last April and I can't think anything we had that was amiss. BTW - sailed in a SS.

4 hours ago, osnv17 said:

Sorry to hear of your disappointments on the Constellation.

I do want to point out that on NCL Breakaway Aug. 4-14 we had 2 tendering issues. 

Santorini we arrived at 1...tenders stopped from 1:45-3:45 due to congestion at the port/cable car line.All excursions ended up being cancelled. 10K passengers there cannot be handled.

Tendering was added at Mykonos & Malta at the last minute. Mykonos was questionable as winds were expected to arrive in the afternoon that could threaten tendering. Luckily it wasn't bad enough to stop.

As we were trying to dock in Malta a ferry was blocking our berth...so we were delayed. Then when we got in line to get back on the tender, another cruise ship pulled into the area where the tender had been docking! 

Med & tendering seems to be an issue for ALL lines.

5 hours ago, KKB said:

Sorry to hear of your disappointments on the Constellation.

I do want to point out that on NCL Breakaway Aug. 4-14 we had 2 tendering issues. 

Santorini we arrived at 1...tenders stopped from 1:45-3:45 due to congestion at the port/cable car line.All excursions ended up being cancelled. 10K passengers there cannot be handled.

Tendering was added at Mykonos & Malta at the last minute. Mykonos was questionable as winds were expected to arrive in the afternoon that could threaten tendering. Luckily it wasn't bad enough to stop.

As we were trying to dock in Malta a ferry was blocking our berth...so we were delayed. Then when we got in line to get back on the tender, another cruise ship pulled into the area where the tender had been docking! 

Med & tendering seems to be an issue for ALL lines.

In Santorini Celebrity used large boats that I believe belong to Greek port authority. While there was a line to get to a tender, it only took 10-15 minutes during a very crowded Santorini visit (5 ships in port). In Mykonos, with very calm seas, Celebrity used only 4(!) safety boats that were lowered from the ship. We got our tender tickets at 9am and were on shore at 12:05

We were on the same cruise. I agree Zakynthos was a disaster really for tender boats. 

Other comments I can't share. We sailed Edge last August (22) and constellation beat her hands down. We enjoyed every single meal in the MDR (although some nights the menu was a bit "boring"). We ate deck 4 with the same wait staff and they were just wonderful. The type of service we remembered pre covid, friendly and warm (and again nothing like edge last year which was cold and impersonal).

Al baccio never missed a beat for us and we went every day. Reflections bar was fab, fun entertainment, great service.

We had 2 x interconnecting cabins on deck 7 and they were spotless. Bathrooms... spotless. 

I will say there are not enough cleaning staff in communal areas. The pool deck needed more sweeping and mopping. Some toilets needed more attention. I've fed this back in the feedback email.

I've also had a sneaky $30 added to our bill after disembarkation. I've emailed them, awaiting a reply.

But... we had tears getting off. We loved this cruise and will be booking the same ship for next year. I wish I was still on board.

And cruise director Sue Denning is brilliant. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, D. B. said:

I have done 5 X cruises in the last 9 months all on different X ships.

Including Connie.

Never had a single Issue and enjoyed all of them.

Guess It was just my good luck?

I think it’s more a case of people having different expectations based on their own experiences and requirements. Not really luck. 

• Like 3

On 8/23/2023 at 10:35 AM, hankandteri said:

Not that it is an excuse for poor service or a decline in what's previously been standard offerings, but the M-fleet is 20 years old.  Despite upgrades and dry dock time, the ships are showing their age.  Bathrooms especially.

• Like 1

Sad to read. We have an upcoming Christmas trip on the Millennium. We have had our South American trip for February 2025 cancelled. We will not be rebooking it and will decide in December if we will cruise with Celebrity again. 

3 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

I think it’s more a case of people having different expectations based on their own experiences and requirements. Not really luck. 

I believe you are Correct!🤔
To paraphrase a Tina Turner song “What Luck got to do with it!”☺️

Edited by D. B.

15 minutes ago, conquesodor said:

Saying that a mistaken drink charge is "shady" tells me everything I need to know about how seriously to take these complaints. Mistakes happen and will often be corrected if handled appropriately.

there is alot of that...some are errors but  way  too often!  we check our acct every day and esp the final!

we have sailed Constellation 3 times..  all diff itins and stages of her life..starting with an early trip up to Canada..so memorable!

We have been hoping to hear she  will be refurbed so we can sail from TAMPA ..But not going to take a chance...we can book a top hotel  nearby Tampa and enjoy the local area..  great museums, restaurants, nature, aquarium etc

1 hour ago, conquesodor said:

Saying that a mistaken drink charge is "shady" tells me everything I need to know about how seriously to take these complaints. Mistakes happen and will often be corrected if handled appropriately.

Agree..I thought the same thing..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Homestyle said:

Sad to read. We have an upcoming Christmas trip on the Millennium. We have had our South American trip for February 2025 cancelled. We will not be rebooking it and will decide in December if we will cruise with Celebrity again. 

We sailed from Hong Kong on Millennium in March 2019, just been refurbished. The ship was lovely!

We were in aqua class & the stateroom was bright, clean and comfortable. 

I personally thought the seating in some of the public areas was uncomfortable, but we had a fantastic trip and love the M-Class ships.

Our next trip was September 2022 on Constellation.

Should have had a refit.......

3rd time on Constellation 

Still love the ship, but the bathroom in our stateroom was way below par.

Still had a great cruise but would not book again until refit!

We did also notice a difference in service/food/drink etc, but nothing to spoil our enjoyment 😉 

We are on Solstice in October and like you, we will decide after that cruise where & who we go with going forward.

Enjoy Millennium!

Have a great trip.