Is it just me or have Spring cruise prices gone way up? I wish I had booked earlier this Summer....

14 minutes ago, George C said:

About 5 years ago msc had no up charge for single cabins several people on my cruise in yacht club were singles , of course this no longer exists .

And years ago carnival gave half off the supplement for booking a 1A. .. and before that there was 0 supplement if booking a 1A. Now its double for me to even book a 1A which mostly have only 1 twin bed, plus a convertible sofa. Used to be considered a solo cabin. 

I dont eat italian food. I have priced msc but keep chickening out worried I will be eating fruit and bread. Almost booked msc once thru the canal. Long cruise if i dont like a lot of the food.

Even on rcl i filled up on other side things italian night last cruise. But yes I've read msc is now probably mostly less expensive... I'm probably a any line except msc, but I have read lately msc is cheapest prices. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 9:57 AM, Hutcha said:

I was already doing a mock booking for my previous post, so I went back to it when I read your post. Comparing OV balconies out of Galveston for the same week, NCL comes out over $800** cheaper. It's on one of their newest ships, vs  HOTS. You get drinks, wifi, and specialty dining. If those things are important to you, you save at least another $1,000. If not, you're still saving over $800. My point is, RCL is losing their advantage. I will not book another one until they do something to earn back my business. A competitively priced drink package would be a great start. 

**NCL was priced with a military discount of 10%

Screenshot 2023-08-28 094907.png

Screenshot 2023-08-28 095010.png

That NCL price doesn't include port charges, fees and taxes. They don't include that until the last step in booking. And their fees and port charges are usually kind of high. Probably going to add $300 to $500 to your total price. 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, moesyk4 said:

We were very lucky we booked when we did. Did two insides on the Oasis and paid around 3500 total. It has gone up significantly since we booked a couple of months ago.

About a year back I booked Oasis for this October, seven night cruise to the Bahamas. Inside room for two was $975 and I got $175 in onboard credit. Can't get close to that pricing now, everything is at least double. And I get the four free drinks a day since I'm Diamond. I'm actually cruising MSC in January, nine nights out of NY with the drinks package and wifi included for $1,020 and $50 on board credit, and that's solo.

On 8/29/2023 at 12:24 PM, Tree_skier said:

I booked Icon for Nov 30/24 when itineraries were first released.  I booked a D4 balcony for ~$2750.  D4's are sold out but a very similar cabin cat., C5, is now a similar cabin is ~$7100.  I can't imagine a world where I would consider $7100 for a balcony cabin going to the Caribbean. SMH 

Balcony cabin on the inaugural was $3000 taxes in fir 2 guests refundable.  Prices now start at $5500 per person.  Love yjevgroup rates. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Balcony cabin on the inaugural was $3000 taxes in fir 2 guests refundable.  Prices now start at $5500 per person.  Love yjevgroup rates. 

Do you think these crazy rising cruise prices have finally settled down somewhat? The ones I see quit going up, a few trending down.

Taking the Oasis in November. Booked an outside balcony in April for base price of $2,336 for 2 - does not include taxes/fees, gratuities, insurance. Now it's selling for close to $3,450. In fact I did add the taxes/fees/gratuities/insurance and the total cost was $3062. That's a big increase in 6 months. I am not a big drinker - I'm a beer drinker, DD will drink more variety - but do like the convenience of a drink package. I can't justify $73pppd. Will take what wine they allow and buy the cooler with hard seltzers for her at $44 rather than spend more than $1,000 for the two of us for a week.

I'm not loyal to any line. I look at price, itinerary and dates. I thought what I paid was plenty, but would never book at the current prices. Would look elsewhere.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2023 at 5:07 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

Prices for everything are up and not coming down anytime soon. 

Consumer debt is at record highs. Somehthing is going to get passed over to pay for food, lodging. and transportation. Not sure when it will happen to pricing. They are incredible high. I can cruise MSC with drinks and wi-fi in a blacony for less than an inside without prks on RCCL. so RCCl can pucker up and kiss the starfish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Prices are completely nuts, not sure what RCL is trying to accomplish but seems they are on the wrong path.  Because of the prices we only have 2 cruises we previously booked this past May.  They are both 11 nights on the anthem in January.2024.  Both cruises are priced almost identical at $2,100 for and interior, all inclusive of taxes and port fees.  This morning, a new booking would be $3,100 for one and $2,800 for the other.

Then to make matters worse, the January 29th cruise, if you wanted to book it in 2025 where its a 12 night on the Odyssey (replaces Anthem in 2025) its over $5,000 for an interior cabin.

This is really getting out of control and they are pricing out loyal customers.

Edited by bjlaac
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bjlaac said:

Prices are completely nuts, not sure what RCL is trying to accomplish but seems they are on the wrong path.  Because of the prices we only have 2 cruises we previously booked this past May.  They are both 11 nights on the anthem in January.2024.  Both cruises are priced almost identical at $2,100 for and interior, all inclusive of taxes and port fees.  This morning, a new booking would be $3,100 for one and $2,800 for the other.

Then to make matters worse, the January 29th cruise, if you wanted to book it in 2025 where its a 12 night on the Odyssey (replaces Anthem in 2025) its over $5,000 for an interior cabin.

This is really getting out of control and they are pricing out loyal customers.

They could care less if they are pricing out loyal customers who have a reference of comparison.  There are plenty of new cruisers willing (and are) paying these crazy prices and ships are sailing at full capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One one hand, I feel glad the the cruise lines are making up for some of the income that they went without during covid. In the long run the prices will probably settle down once things tighten up for the general public and the novelty of being on vacation wears off.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed cruising at least once a year for more than 30 years. As of now I'm considering other vacation options for the next year. Hard to justify the cruise and air cost not to mention all of the extra charges. Used to be that we just didn't do any of the extras so it wasn't a big deal, now it seems that there are a lot more things that are "extras." Some of that is my own choice, as I've aged I am no longer willing to go without cruise insurance - not to protect the cost, but in case something medical would happen. I also now insist on a balcony cabin, just need the private outside space.

6 hours ago, vision14k said:

They could care less if they are pricing out loyal customers who have a reference of comparison.  There are plenty of new cruisers willing (and are) paying these crazy prices and ships are sailing at full capacity.

It might take a minute to catch up to RCI (like a year or two) but I don't think the the the new cruisers who are willing to pay the prices will replace the old loyal to royal crowd headed to bluer waters.. and the loyal to royal may not come back in significant numbers if happy with the products elsewhere.

The new cruisers are more often than not shelling out the high cruise fares fooled by RCI's marketing for an "all inclusive vacation" experience bait and switch. Unlike those who are not new to cruising and RCI in particular, I doubt a good portion of the new ones realize when putting down deposits that they need to add thousands more for drinks/wifi/gratuities/decent food.  I see lots of unhappy/confused new to cruising passengers on the various forums/groups talking about the unexpected added expenses.

10 hours ago, vision14k said:

Agreed - the cruise lines don’t want the loyal customers. They would prefer to fill their ships with new cruisers.

The loyal cruisers can be the most demanding and expect every free perk possible - they want their free laundry, access to loyalty lounges, their free drink coupons. People on these boards take pride in getting on a ship and not spending a dime.

I recently met a couple that were doing their  third cruise to Alaska this year - they openly boasted about the fact that they had no extra charges. Their biggest beef was that they would have to do one more cruise before they reached the loyalty level for free laundry. 

The cruise lines want passengers who will purchase shore excursions, shop in the shops, buy the drink and specialty dining packages, go all out at Coco Cay, use the Internet etc. These are the true profit centres for the cruise lines. The fact that they can also charge high rates is just icing on the cake.

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Agreed - the cruise lines don’t want the loyal customers. They would prefer to fill their ships with new cruisers.

The loyal cruisers can be the most demanding and expect every free perk possible - they want their free laundry, access to loyalty lounges, their free drink coupons. People on these boards take pride in getting on a ship and not spending a dime.

I recently met a couple that were doing their  third cruise to Alaska this year - they openly boasted about the fact that they had no extra charges. Their biggest beef was that they would have to do one more cruise before they reached the loyalty level for free laundry. 

The cruise lines want passengers who will purchase shore excursions, shop in the shops, buy the drink and specialty dining packages, go all out at Coco Cay, use the Internet etc. These are the true profit centres for the cruise lines. The fact that they can also charge high rates is just icing on the cake.

EXACTLY!

We booked a balcony for 3 on Wonder for March 2024 when it first came out.  Booked at around $4800 CAD.  The price now is over $9600 CAD.  That's an increase of $4800!!!

I can say similar pattern for our other bookings. 

I just hope it stays that you can still get a decent price if you book when released, but doesn't help for last minute or later bookings.

12 hours ago, RD64 said:

Of course the cruise lines want exactly what you describe that's the nature of business..maximize profits!.  However if you sail often enough you quickly realize the repeat cruiser is at half of the ship's customers and they tend to be older folks with the time and money (with some limitations) to take multiple annual trips.

At some price point  those repeaters just aren't going to return if they perceive the cost unjustifiable.  Take me for instance, travel 3 or 4 times a year, mostly in an inside cabin and an occasional balcony.  Depending on the length of cruise the inside run between $2,000 and $2,500 and a balcony $3,000 or more if we take our son with us.  Overall we spend $10,000 annually on cruise fares for the 4 trips. 

Fast forward to 2025 bookings and one of the two cruises we normally would book is over $5,000 for an inside cabin for two people.  At that price point, more than double the current rates we are paying, we will not book any cruises in 2025. 

Is that sustainable, I'm not sure, but a lot of the 50% of the customers that are repeaters feel the exact same way.  Either they are moving to different cruise lines or not sailing at all.   To make up for our loss, RCL now needs to find 4 first time cruiser willing to pay those rates, and if they are "free Spenders", they will be expecting access to specialty restaurants, beach beds at coco cay and many more capacity that just dones not exist if the ship is full of first time cruiser.

9 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I just hope it stays that you can still get a decent price if you book when released, but doesn't help for last minute or later bookings.

Expect prices with the new releases to be in line with the current rate...in other words, significantly higher than their prices last year when they were released.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Expect prices with the new releases to be in line with the current rate...in other words, significantly higher than their prices last year when they were released.

That's what I'm afraid of, but was hoping not.  We booked Icon at a stupid rate, but that's xmas and newest ship so not surprised.  However if other released rates are at current prices, not sure we'll be booking as often going forward.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I was going to post this but didn't want to be the downer, lol.

This is not last year. RC is not going to suddenly start prices way below what they're getting now. We've already seen that with Utopia. The prices were pretty crappy right from the start, even if you had a great TA with group rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 3:38 PM, nferr said:

That NCL price doesn't include port charges, fees and taxes. They don't include that until the last step in booking. And their fees and port charges are usually kind of high. Probably going to add $300 to $500 to your total price. 

Thanks for catching that. Yes, it adds $370 total. Combine that with the military discount that was in my original quote, and it comes out to just under $3,000. Royal was at $3,200, and it didn't include drinks wifi or any specialty dining. This was also comparing one of their newest ships to Harmony.  

5 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We booked a balcony for 3 on Wonder for March 2024 when it first came out.  Booked at around $4800 CAD.  The price now is over $9600 CAD.  That's an increase of $4800!!!

I can say similar pattern for our other bookings. 

Most people can't plan that far in advance due to work and other obligations. Unless you book refundable for 5/6 different sailings just to hold the price. That's a lot of deposit money to pay just for the flexibility.  

59 minutes ago, seasidemama said:

Most people can't plan that far in advance due to work and other obligations. Unless you book refundable for 5/6 different sailings just to hold the price. That's a lot of deposit money to pay just for the flexibility.  

You need to find a TA then, as their group prices are refundable. I am not booking in advance just to hold the price, I plan to go. I have 12 booked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seasidemama said:

Yeah.  We book during school holidays so know the week to book....but we always book refundable since it's so far ahead.

• Like 1

Just booked an MSC and NCL cruise. RCL prices just go too high. Our last experience on Harmony (3/23) wasn’t that great. MSC was 1/2 the price for our next cruise and NCL offered way more for our cruise to Greece then RCL. Love Royal but will shop around now at other lines. If royal fills the ships, good for them. I’ll wait it out or pick another line.