Official Sponsor of Miami Pro Soccer

14 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

So, how many millions did that cost ?
Maybe you should save used it to provide chips in the Park Cafe….probably a lot less……

Opine, Guest DEAF corporate management in Miami….

Or perhaps by sponsoring anything that is associated with David Beckham will open up a new market for people who have never considered taking a cruise? He is the greatest ambassador for the sport ️ and recognised worldwide 

Its needed...

We were on Anthem out of Port Liberty over Easter. The biggest billboard in Times Square was for MSC.

We went to the NBA in the evening and they were giving out free MSC Knicks caps. Driving to the port on the morning and another billboard for World America and I can remember it now 'American service, European style' because it was plastered everywhere in NY.

We are UK based but it's clear the behemoth that is MSC is now embarking on an offensive in the US that we have seen here in the UK and Europe for a number of years.  

Edited by Tin can
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 3:10 AM, little britain said:

Or perhaps by sponsoring anything that is associated with David Beckham will open up a new market for people who have never considered taking a cruise? He is the greatest ambassador for the sport ️ and recognised worldwide 

The thing is soccer isn't that big here.   At the risk of offending soccer fans which isn't my intention, soccer has a relatively small following here.   AFAIK they only way to watch MLS is with an Apple TV subscription, it's not on TV here in general except for a couple of games.   

In 2022 the average attendance was 21,033 per match, down from 2021.  Number of Americans who follow sports: US football 74.5%, basketball 56.6%, baseball 50.5%, boxing 23.4%, Hockey 22.1%, soccer 21.6%, Golf 19.7%, WWE wrestling 16.7%.

Soccer just isn't that popular here, much like Hockey isn't popular despite Hockey having a massive following in Canada.   Like soccer, Hockey fans have to pay for a streaming service to follow the league.   So why did Royal pick the fifth most popular sport where only die hard fans willing to pay for a streaming subscription have a chance to see any Royal marketing?   

How many MLS games do UK residents watch?  Does MLS have a huge international following?   Was the international market Royal's target with this move?  I don't think so.   

It's a very targeted marketing campaign mostly to a local Miami audience.   

• Like 1

Proper football ( where you kick the ball with your foot …) is huge everywhere in the world bar the North American continent.

As an example, Manchester United stadium ( Old Trafford) has a capacity of 74,310 and is sold out every week. There are huge ManU supporters clubs in Thailand and through out the world who watch the games in their countries. 

Admitted I had to google what MLS means .. but you underestimate the “pulling power” of Mr Beckham…. And if he can get those Thai ManU supporters watching MLS and then into a cruise ship; then it is money well spent

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

In many ways Hockey would have made more sense.  Hockey has a stronger following in Northern states and in Canada, which is a huge market for warm caribbean vacations in the dead of winter when nearly everyone dreams of escaping the bleak, depressing, cold and dreadful winter.  That's also when hockey is in season.  Perfect timing.  

The only thing I can think of, is that MLS is struggling.  Inter CF Miami was 25th in the league for attendance (before Messi) with around 17k fans per match.  

I'm guessing a team sponsorship wasn't that expensive.  In the overall scheme of pro sports in the US, Inter CF Miami isn't even on a radar screen.  High school friday night football can draw that number of fans in some areas.  It probably didn't cost Royal all that much.   

That and someone in RCI corporate, maybe Bayley himself, is a fan so it was his idea and being the president of the company he could just decide to do it on a whim.  

1 minute ago, little britain said:

Proper football ( where you kick the ball with your foot …) is huge everywhere in the world bar the North American continent.

As an example, Manchester United stadium ( Old Trafford) has a capacity of 74,310 and is sold out every week. There are huge ManU supporters clubs in Thailand and through out the world who watch the games in their countries. 

Admitted I  had to google what MLS means .. but you underestimate the “pulling power” of Beckham…. And if he can get those Thai ManU supporters watching MLS and then into a cruise ship; then it is money well spent

Beckham may be a household name around the world but not so much in the US.  He could fly on a domestic US airline in coach and people wouldn't recognize him, not that he would ever do that,  but he could.  

I know the name but couldn't pick him out of a line up at the local police department.  "Number 3 step forward and state 'football is life'".  Yep, probably not Beckham.  🙂 

Would you recognise Messi?!

Our press is reporting he’s making an impact..and that paper ( albeit a trashy paper) will be read worldwide… more interest in InterMiami and their sponsors perhaps?  
Admittedly I have not seen to what level their sponsorship goes.. is the RCI brand splashed all over the shirts and the stadium? 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23657818/david-beckham-inter-miami-a-list-friends-messi/amp/

On 8/25/2023 at 1:02 PM, Slidell_Cruiser said:

So, how many millions did that cost ?
Maybe you should save used it to provide chips in the Park Cafe….probably a lot less……

Opine, Guest DEAF corporate management in Miami….

It is cheap advertising for one of their primary markets. A football advertising is a good investment in money. Chips,,, not so much. 

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Would you recognise Messi?!

Our press is reporting he’s making an impact..and that paper ( albeit a trashy paper) will be read worldwide… more interest in InterMiami and their sponsors perhaps?  
Admittedly I have not seen to what level their sponsorship goes.. is the RCI brand splashed all over the shirts and the stadium? 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23657818/david-beckham-inter-miami-a-list-friends-messi/amp/

I knew who Messi was from watching the World Cup.  Hadn't I not watched the last World Cup I'd have zero idea who Messi is.  International football doesn't make the evening news here.  You have to make a point to find news about soccer domestically and/or international football to know anything about it. 

It's much like hockey here, or golf.  I watch a lot more golf than I do soccer.  However golf probably wouldn't be a good target demographic for a family cruise line.  Golf isn't the type of sport that most families are going to make a point to sit down and watch as a family.  US football definitely is both at the pro level and college level.  

3 hours ago, little britain said:

No, this is a lower level of sponsorship than jersey or stadium sponsor. They don't even have a proper stadium (but that's another story). That said, I'm sure you will see some advertising for RC around the stadium.

I could go into a lot more detail as I'm a huge MLS (and football) fan, but I'll just say yes, Messi is bringing A LOT of eyeballs to his matches. Apple TV holds the international rights to MLS and part of Messi's contract is getting a % of revenue from all new Apple TV subscribers from the day he signed.

Will this do anything significant for RC? No idea but it's probably not a bad marketing decision as I doubt it cost them very much in the grand scheme of things.

FWIW, my avatar is an MLS crest for my local club (Orlando City).

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

Seems to be a trend!

Meanwhile in England …

https://sportsmintmedia.com/fulham-fc-royal-caribbean-international-construct-sponsorship-arrangement-for-2023-24-season/#:~:text=Fulham FC%2C the Premier League,Welcome aboard%2C %40RoyalCaribbean.

Again not sponsoring the main kit.

Fulham are currently 12/20 in the top league here.  But they have only played 3 games of the new season 

11 minutes ago, little britain said:

Fulham are currently 12/20 in the top league here.  But they have only played 3 games of the new season 

That would be Fulham, home to 2 US national team defenders. 😁

I don't follow the EPL closely but I know where the Yanks are.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2023 at 12:04 PM, little britain said:

Admitted I had to google what MLS means .. but you underestimate the “pulling power” of Mr Beckham…. And if he can get those Thai ManU supporters watching MLS and then into a cruise ship; then it is money well spent

I think your right about underestimating the "pulling power' of football in general and various associations with clubs by Royal Caribbean could be a genius move especially with the US hosting the World Cup in 2026.

After all who would have thought we would see the day that Super Bowl winning legend Tom Brady would buy a stake in a UK football club (Birmingham City).

• Like 1

Would the original poster prefer RCL not advertise at all?
That doesn't seem like a good business strategy?

Messi's move has garnered interest in watching Miami WORLDWIDE
I'm betting whatever they paid was cheap for the exposure they might get.

Admittedly I don't know if the logo is a shirt sponsorship or how it's visible.... but on the surface seems like an intelligent move.

Just now, NateUpNorth said:

Thanks.
This Messi thing will do wonders for the Florida derby! 

Sincerely,
Long term TFC supporter currently saddled with a dysfunctional franchise....... again 

Yeah, we just hate them even more now. It was bad enough when they were cheating the DP rules (but still sucked)... now it's just a circus (and that opinion is of course shared by plenty of fans/commentators from all over the league).

One of the OC podcasts I listen to talked about all the people wearing various Messi jerseys at our last home match (against St. Louis). 🙄

Lots of OC season ticket holders have sold their tickets for the home match vs. Miami later this month and I can't exactly blame them. They're going for hundreds and hundreds of dollars and I'm sure they're largely not even Miami fans buying them, they just want to see Messi.

Maybe Herdman will help get TFC back on track.

2 hours ago, Tin can said:

I think your right about underestimating the "pulling power' of football in general and various associations with clubs by Royal Caribbean could be a genius move especially with the US hosting the World Cup in 2026.

I think the comment about the US hosting the World Cup in 2026 is key. I believe Miami is one of the host cities (I live in KC and we are also a host city).

• Like 1

RCI isn't new to the soccer/football scene either -- they've been the training jersey sponsor for Wolves since 2021.

At the end of the day, Inter Miami -- the team that plays (or I should say will play, when the new stadium is built) in their hometown -- signs the biggest name globally in the sport...so it makes sense for RCI to get in on the extra eyeballs and attention.

And while MLS isn't popular, European soccer has a pretty decent foothold in the US, at least with casual fans. They recognize Messi from Barca and the World Cup. So even if they weren't MLS fans, they're paying more attention. Case in point: Messi's match last week against RBNY. I'm a former season-ticket holder, 4th row seats in the lower corner. Only gave them up 2 seasons ago. If I had kept them, I would have easily gotten $1,000 each if I had sold before Martino mentioned resting Messi and have friends who sold their seats for $600 each even after it was clear Messi wasn't starting. The interest is there.

Also fun aside: In 2014, the team proposed building their soccer-specific stadium on the southwest corner of Dodge Island (the island that is home to the Port of Miami). RCI also had intentions to develop the plot of land and led the formation of an alliance to successfully oppose Inter Miami's plan. So from rivals to now working together.

• Like 1

My comment(s) have nothing to do with soccer or which celeb RCCL decides to pay, or not to pay.  It's about the business of advertising and timing.

As has been reported here on this site and many others, RCCL and others are cruising at 100% capacity.  Which is suitable for their bottom line and helps pay off the massive debt from the COVID debacle.  So, it makes me wonder, WHY?  Why go with, what I assume is such an expense, and probably a long-term expense, when things are already moving in the right direction, the right bottom line direction?  Why do that at the same time that just about every service is being reduced or cut and just about every amenity is being upcharged and/or prices increased?  I am 100% more likely to return to RCCL if I attempt to return to normal <(normal meaning return to within inflation numbers) fare prices and other ancillary items at reasonable prices and traditional full services.  Advertising, for me, has very little impact on my buying practices.  When I'm in the market for a car, I know there are Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, ............. dealerships. I don't purchase based on the advertising, I base it upon my trip to the dealership taking a test ride, and finding out what the bottom line is for everything.  I don't trust most advertising anyway.    

If they want to advertise to the local market, which is what advertising with a local entity like soccer is, for the most part, I'd go with the local newspaper or bus stop benches or..........  It's got to be much cheaper and I'd guess that more people read the local newspaper than watch soccer on Apple TV.

Some of us are so out of touch.  What does watching TV mean?  If you mean the major networks, then your view may be correct. 

BUT most in the US do not watch the major networks.  They view their favorites via cable or streaming services.

Apple TV (against all the naysayers) has made a profit on their bet that the US would watch MLS already in just a few months.  NBC is betting on Premier league ( both with streaming and network).  CBS betting on Seria A.  ESPN has several league including La Liga.

Agree that advertising does usually miss the mark for seniors.  But they do continue to advertise to the markets that they think they can influence.

Try to predict the future it will keep you humble.