New to RC so have some questions

I apologize if these have been asked before.  I tried to find the answers but could not

We are not new to cruising (have over 40 cruises = mostly with Princess) but we have booked the Navigator of the Seas for October so I have some questions.

1.  Generally speaking what time can you access the cabins?  I know I have to select a time to arrive and we generally get a late arrival = 12:30 - 1:00.  Will cabins be ready then?

2.  Regarding Beverage Package - I'm trying to decide if we should purchase one. I'm basing the prices below on Princess. Below is what one of us would get

a cappuccino in the morning  (does the ship have someplace to get one or do we need to go to Starbucks, and I know the beverage package isn't accepted there - about $6?

a couple of sodas during the day - $6?

a couple of bottles of water a day - $6?

a couple of adult beverages a day - maybe $25?

First - are these prices about correct if purchased separately, including tip (Princess charges 18% so I'm guessing RC is the same but maybe not)?

thank you for any insight and anything else anyone wants to add because, like I said, we are new to Royal Caribbean.

My take....

Between 1-2pm cabins should be available.

Yes, one can get specialty coffees other than Starbucks. But not sure of the location on Navigator but I think in the Windjammer at the bar.

I'm not sure of the pricing for soft drinks and bottled water as we always get the Deluxe Bev Package. But the alcoholic drink prices are $14/day, Beer $10/day. 

@ $77.95/day + 18% gratuity, you'll split even 6 drinks/day, not counting fresh OJ, bottled water, soft drinks, & specialty coffees.

Welcome to Royal and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pugbeary said:

2.  Regarding Beverage Package - I'm trying to decide if we should purchase one. I'm basing the prices below on Princess. Below is what one of us would get

a cappuccino in the morning  (does the ship have someplace to get one or do we need to go to Starbucks, and I know the beverage package isn't accepted there - about $6?

Definitely not worth it if that is all you are drinking

• Like 3

If you buy one alcoholic beverage package, you’ll have to buy two. That’s the way Royal keeps things in the one cabin honest. If you aren’t much of a drinker you get the Refreshment package and that will cover most without alcohol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CapeGal said:

If you buy one alcoholic beverage package, you’ll have to buy two. That’s the way Royal keeps things in the one cabin honest.

Not true. The 2nd person can get the refreshment package if they don't drink. You have to call in to purchase it that way though.

• Like 2

Regarding DBP... my experience tells me the following...

1. Caribbean cruises vs European Cruises cost more but Caribbean cruises do include island/resorts owned by RCL such CocoCay etc

2. The more ports per a 7 day cruise, the cost is less... example 4 or 5 day vs 3 day on a 7 day cruise. Or in other words, the more sea days, the higher the cost.

3. Smaller ships cost less than larger ships. Destination vs Ship experience.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pugbeary said:

Thank you so much for the quick replies!!!  This is very helpful. We are really looking forward to trying a new cruise line.

Don't forget iced water, iced flavoured waters, tea, coffee and hot chocolate are all included in your cruise fare. 

You have to pay for freshly made special coffees and bottled water.

You can also bring on board one bottle of wine per adult. 

If you have about 40 cruises under your belt already, the following is probably old news to you, but here goes anyway:

Regardless of when your cabin is available to enter, that doesn't mean that your luggage will be there then.  I've seen it come as late as 8:00 PM.  I wouldn't worry about it though, it happens very rarely.  Just enjoy the cruise. 

Short experience we had, ONCE:  On one of our Star Class Sailings, as usual, a crew member met us at the entrance of the terminal (Port Everglades) and took our baggage directly through security to our suite, it's supposed to be in your suite before you get there.  One bag didn't make it to our suite until the next morning.  It must have fallen off of the cart and the crew member didn't notice it.  Our Genie actually did the search and found it in the bowels of the ship somewhere.  I didn't lose a second of sleep over it.  I knew/had faith that it would be found, it was.  Fortunately, it only had our sandals, sneakers, and swimming attire in it anyway.

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Definitely not worth it if that is all you are drinking

I agree, not worth it.  My suggestion is don't buy it, drink what you really what, and see how it prices against paying the outrageous package price.  Then on your next cruise, you will know which is best for you.  People will order more drinks than they normally would simply because they feel they must justify the package cost.  Have a great cruise.

18 hours ago, pugbeary said:

1.  Generally speaking what time can you access the cabins?  I know I have to select a time to arrive and we generally get a late arrival = 12:30 - 1:00.  Will cabins be ready then?

Cabins usually open between 12:30 and 1:00, so if you're arriving at the terminal then, by the time you make it through all the check-points and enter the ship, your room will almost certainly be ready.  

18 hours ago, pugbeary said:

- You can buy specialty coffees at the Plaza Bar (inside the buffet), at the Promenade Cafe (in the Promenade, mid-ship), or at Starbucks (probably also in the Promenade).  No package covers Starbucks.  If you have breakfast in the Main Dining Room, you could order a specialty coffee at your table, but it'd be faster to bring one in with you.  

- Plain coffee is available for free all over the ship.  

- Sodas are currently $3.50/can + 18% gratuity.  You are allowed to bring 12 non-alcoholic beverages on board with you. 

- Bottled water is $3.25/bottle + 18% gratuity.  The ship's water is good.  

- Beer runs $8 + 18% gratuity 

- Cocktails run $14 + 18% gratuity 

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

One bag didn't make it to our suite until the next morning. 

On Royal Caribbean I've frequently seen a handful of tag-less luggage sitting at Guest Services.  If you're missing something, I'd suggest a quick walk-by before you contact anyone.  

• Thanks 1

I just got off Navigator on Friday.

Cabins were available at 2 pm.

Domestic Beer was 7.49

Foreign beer and cider was 7.99

Soda was 3.50

Grande Latte's at Cafe Promenade were 4.50

Cocktails were 12.00 - 14.00

For all of these you need to add 18% to the price I listed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I knew/had faith that it would be found, it was.  Fortunately, it only had our sandals, sneakers, and swimming attire in it anyway.

That would be a disaster for me.  I always keep my swim gear in my backpack and the pool is my first stop.

19 hours ago, pugbeary said:

2.  Regarding Beverage Package - I'm trying to decide if we should purchase one.

One thing to look at is how many days you'll be on board.  If every day is a port day and you plan to go ashore every day, you'll drink less on board.  If there are several sea days or you tend to stay onboard during port days, you may drink more on board.  As said by others, the general breakeven is around 6-8 drinks per day. If you're not really a "drinker", just pay as you go. 

• Like 1