Bringing Wine at Embarkation

My husband and I have a HAL cruise booked in a couple months. This will be our first time back on a HAL ship since the pandemic. On previous cruises, we always brought 2 bottles of wine at embarkation without paying corkage fees. We would just enjoy our bottles in our stateroom.

I checked HAL's updated alcohol policy, and things seem to have changed: "Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused."

This sounds a lot like NCL's policy, which I've experienced a number of times. On those ships, the charges were inconsistent, and we probably only paid corkage on about half of what we brought on.

Does anyone have recent experience with bringing wine on board at embarkation? How does the process work now? Thanks!

1 minute ago, WanderingTheWorld said:

Does anyone have recent experience with bringing wine on board at embarkation? How does the process work now? Thanks!

We boarded the Oosterdam in March in Santiago with several bottles of wine in tow.....There was a desk just after the passport reader iPads that was manned by one of the bar crew.......We had them take the wine and hold it until the end of the cruise....Receipts were provided.

If you wanted to pay corkage, he was set up to charge the account 20 bucks per bottle. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WanderingTheWorld said:

This sounds a lot like NCL's policy, which I've experienced a number of times. On those ships, the charges were inconsistent, and we probably only paid corkage on about half of what we brought on.

The wine experience on HAL has pretty much been the same as you describe before or after the pandemic.  We have brought on a case or two at different times and not been charged but then brought on 3 or 4 bottles and been charged.  Be prepared to pay the corkage fee and if it is not asked of you when you board, it may be asked when you bring a bottle to a dining room.  If not, enjoy 🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

While I can't speak to HAL's policy, I did do this on NCL years ago. Brought on 8 bottles and paid $15 USD per bottle. It was cheaper than upgrading to the Beverage Package.  We paid at embarkation and then brought a bottle to dinner every night.

Respectfully, this is a HAL thread so not sure that previous experience on different line is relevant. 

Current HAL policy allows for reasonable (actual # is subjective) amount of wine to be brought onboard in carry-on. While there is a stated corkage fee, it may or may not be collected.

Just now, Haljo1935 said:

Respectfully, this is a HAL thread so not sure that previous experience on different line is relevant. 

Current HAL policy allows for reasonable (actual # is subjective) amount of wine to be brought onboard in carry-on. While there is a stated corkage fee, it may or may not be collected.

I will delete my post. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, FlaMariner said:

We boarded the Oosterdam in March in Santiago with several bottles of wine in tow.....There was a desk just after the passport reader iPads that was manned by one of the bar crew.......We had them take the wine and hold it until the end of the cruise....Receipts were provided.

If you wanted to pay corkage, he was set up to charge the account 20 bucks per bottle. 

Was the corkage applied only if you wanted to take it to dinner, or applied even if you planned to enjoy the wine in your cabin?