When to buy tickets

sokal

I am new to planning a cruise. Not a first time cruiser just haven't really planned one a year out. I am looking at a fall cruise from Quebec city in 2024. I was on the NCL web site and found one I liked  if I wanted to go this fall a balcony cabin is around $600 the same cruise next year is $1900. I'm sure I'm not the first to run across this, and I understand that the cruise co. need to fill the boat. Is there any kind of refund when they drop the price? Is it better to wait till next year a few months ahead and hope for a good deal?  

It's not uncommon to see a price drop after the final payment date if there are still cabins available. That is likely the case with the prices you are seeing for this fall. However repricing isn't usually allowed after final payment.  Sometimes you might get a nonrefundable OBC instead. Other times not. 

You can book now and hope for a price drop before final payment. Or you can wait and gamble on a late price drop if the cruise hasn't sold out. Your choice.

With most cruise lines the price you book at is locked in when booked against price increases, but is eligible for a reduction up until final payment should the price decrease. So if the price changes favorably, you can take advantage of that. Note that post final payment price decreases are typically not adjusted.  Typically the earlier you book the better the price is, but it will almost certainly fluctuate up and down based on demand and available inventory as bookings progress.  

My suggestion would be if you are certain of the ship and itinerary and you would be eligible for price reductions should the price decrease, and the current pricing is within your budget, then I would book it and then continue to monitor your itinerary's pricing to see if it decreases prior to final payment. Just be sure you understand any terms and conditions regarding your booking, in particular with regards to refundable versus non-refundable deposits.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

In general we have gotten our best prices booking right after the cruise is released.  The prices on every line have increased notably this year and again recently.  Another thing that influences is the popularity of the cruise and specific ports.  You can wait until the release of cabins right after final payment and see if cabins open up but you are taking the chance of not getting your desired ship/route/cabin.

• Like 2

The answer to this is it depends. Yes, if a cruise is selling poorly a few weeks-months before sail date, they will drop the price to fill the ship. If the cruise is selling well, the cruise could be sold out or the price much higher. It’s always a gamble to wait and book at the last minute.

as far as refunds. Up until final payment due date, you can usually reprice is prices change. Once that date passes it’s at the discretion of the cruise. Also, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. A free at sea rate where u can pick your cabin next year vs a guarantee cruise only rate this year isn’t a real comparison.

I think it depends a lot on how flexible you can be. If you know you want a warm weather cruise sometime in winter or spring, don’t care which line, and can go on short notice- then watch for good deals and jump when one comes. It you have to get vacation time cleared through work, plane tickets, or know exactly where, when, and in what line you want- I’d say don’t risk it, book early. 
The last time we cruised, they offered the chance to bid on upgrades. We already had the class we wanted and wanted to be assured we’d be near our kids. But we talked to quite a few other passengers who did bid. They all got upgraded for $100 or less. So maybe book the lowest class you’d be ok with and see if you can get an offer like that. 

Thank you everyone for your replies and knowledge. We are empty nesters I'm self-employed so very flexible. 

My next question is how would I know when the final payment date is on a cruise I'm not booked on? I plan to pick a few and watch them next year. Who knows what next year will bring.   

Cruise lines and cruise lengths have different Final Payment dates.

Research for the cruises that meet your preferences, then watch.

Before ever booking Direct , contact  TA's rates and other goodies that they may offer for that cruise.

2 hours ago, sokal said:

My next question is how would I know when the final payment date is on a cruise I'm not booked on? I plan to pick a few and watch them next year. Who knows what next year will bring.   

It varies by cruise line but typically most of the mass market lines are 90 days prior to sailing on 7-night itineraries for final payment.  (Other lengths and certain Holiday sailings may differ). You would need to check with the individual cruise line(s) you are considering to confirm their terms for the itineraries you are considering.

I only suggest this based on the questions you are asking but I again would recommend using a travel agent to assist in your planning.  They would be able to answer all of your questions and provide advice with your searches.  There is no charge to you for their services as they are paid by the cruise lines from your booking.  No difference in published fare to you either and some offer perks for booking with them.  They also have access to certain fares not generally published by the cruise lines that may be favorable, such as group rates, etc.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Another factor is that sometimes there are early booking benefits.  An example is Holland America's Have-it-All package.  It gives you their Signature drinks package, Surf wifi, and no crew gratuities.  But if you get it on an early booking the drinks package is upgraded to the elite package, wifi is upgraded to Stream, and the gratuities are included.  For the same cost.

Also, if you want to sound like an old salt, we generally say book a cruise rather than buying tickets.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 1

When to buy tickets is a question similar to when to invest in the stock market.  Do it BEFORE prices go up, or AFTER they come down.   An itinerary which sells well will see price increases up until sailing date (or until all cabins are booked) - while one which is not selling well will see prices go down until the ship finally sails with some empty cabins.   

The intelligent cruiser will decide on the itinerary and the accommodations he wants and will book it when the price seems right.  If he continues to track prices, he is much more likely to regret his decision than to be happy with it.  On any sailing, only one (or very few) will have paid the least  - everyone else will feel unhappy if he compares.

Make your decision and live with it.

NCL policy (we know this because we have done this a couple of times) regarding price drop after final payment is that you can request a one-time FCC (Future Cruise Credit). The last time we did this, our cruise fare dropped a total of $1100 after final payment. We called our PCC who submitted a request for the FCC and two days later we received the credit in our account. 

Note that the one-time request applies to a particular cruise. You can do the same process on other cruises, but only once per cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1