Stuck on Serenade!

Currently on Serenade and our scheduled arrival in Tampa has been delayed from Thursday to Friday due to Hurricane Idalia. The Port of Tampa is still closed and expected to reopen on Friday pending the all-clear from the Coast Guard. 

Hoping all is ok in Tampa. The weather onboard was a bit choppy last night and this morning but overall not too bad at all. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/notices/travel-updates

Serenade of the Seas: Saturday, August 26, 2023 sailing from Tampa

The Port of Tampa remains closed at this time, and we’re still waiting for them to conduct their inspections and surveys to resume normal port operations. As a result, our return has been moved to Friday, September 1, and guests will spend an extra day onboard, on us.

Serenade of the Seas: Thursday, August 31, 2023 sailing from Tampa

Along with our Chief Meteorologist, Marine Operations, and government officials we’re working towards providing guests with the best cruise possible and we now intend to sail on Friday, September 1. We’re committed to keeping you informed every step of the way as the situation evolves, and expect to provide final details tomorrow afternoon.

While these circumstances are beyond our control, we understand that this change impacts your vacation. Below are your options, including the option to cancel for a 100% refund.

For guests that decide to sail:

• Since the delay impacts the departure of your cruise, we’ll provide you with 1-day's worth of Onboard Credit to your SeaPass Account.
  • This credit can be used anywhere onboard and any amount remaining at the end of your sailing will be refunded to your credit card on file.

For those who wish to cancel:

• If you do wish to cancel, there is nothing for you to do. You’ll receive a refund of your cruise fare, including any non-refundable deposit, to your payment on file within 14 business days after our sailing ends. Please note, some banking institutions may take longer.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Wishing you a safe journey.  Very glad to see RC offering a full refund to impacted guests who will lose a day on the next sailing.

Thanks, the captain and cruise director have been very straightforward and timely with updates. 

• Like 1

Just now, MiniChunks said:

What value does Royal put on "one day's worth of on board credit"?

I noticed their wording there as well .... Interesting to hear some comments after people board and find out its not 1 days %age of their cruise fare , but a random number RCI deems appropriate.

Cheers

55 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

What value does Royal put on "one day's worth of on board credit"?

52 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

I noticed their wording there as well .... Interesting to hear some comments after people board and find out its not 1 days %age of their cruise fare , but a random number RCI deems appropriate.

Cheers

One day on board credit will be a calculated by dividing the cruise fare you paid by the scheduled number of days of the sailing.  That is how it has always been calculated.  Not sure why you would think it will be a random number.

• Like 5

Hey don't worry about what you'll get worry you get on. When Harvey hit we got the exact same letter...BUT it changed daily until they finally had to just cancel.  We were supposed to sail on a Sunday I believe it was Monday night or Tuesday when they finally told us it was canceled.  We were stuck in a hotel in Galveston.  We'd only planned to pay for 1 night then cruise. We had to come up with an additional 4 days plus food which was hard to find. Lol. Worse vacation ever...lol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

One day on board credit will be a calculated by dividing the cruise fare you paid by the scheduled number of days of the sailing.  That is how it has always been calculated.  Not sure why you would think it will be a random number.

Well , my post was meant as an ün"educated "hypothesis as to how it may play out .

.... I wonder why I would suggest the possibility of it playing out like that ?

Hmmmm.... maybe because it seems every decision as of late is coming from the bean counters at the top , and is all about the almighty dollar

Cheers

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Hey don't worry about what you'll get worry you get on. When Harvey hit we got the exact same letter...BUT it changed daily until they finally had to just cancel.  We were supposed to sail on a Sunday I believe it was Monday night or Tuesday when they finally told us it was canceled.  We were stuck in a hotel in Galveston.  We'd only planned to pay for 1 night then cruise. We had to come up with an additional 4 days plus food which was hard to find. Lol. Worse vacation ever...lol

Worst vacation ever? Sounds to me like it was a once in a lifetime experience that you got a good story out of. You experienced first-hand what the first few days of a post-apocalyptic society would look like (anxiety, irritation, unknowing, the hunt for food, acceptance, survival, etc.). It may have not been ideal, but I am sure it is more memorable than some vacations that went very smoothly. Or maybe I am just too much of a cup-half-full kind of guy. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Currently on Serenade and our scheduled arrival in Tampa has been delayed from Thursday to Friday due to Hurricane Idalia. The Port of Tampa is still closed and expected to reopen on Friday pending the all-clear from the Coast Guard. 

Hoping all is ok in Tampa. The weather onboard was a bit choppy last night and this morning but overall not too bad at all. 

Please post updates about what they are telling you in when you will dock. I am supposed to board today and info is scarce.

Also, I live in Tampa and actually can see the cruise port from my condo (3 min away). It is a beautiful day and no flooding downtown so I am struggling to understand why the port did not reopen last night.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, europe4fun said:

Please post updates about what they are telling you in when you will dock. I am supposed to board today and info is scarce.

Also, I live in Tampa and actually can see the cruise port from my condo (3 min away). It is a beautiful day and no flooding downtown so I am struggling to understand why the port did not reopen last night.

They need to do underwater surveys to make sure there isn't anything that got blown into the water or sunk during the storm.  If a ship comes in and hits something that is submerged, that could cause the port to shutdown for an extended period of time.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, europe4fun said:

Tampa Bay has one of the trickiest channels to navigate between all of the sand bars, shallow draft areas, the Skyway bridge, and too many left and right turns to count. Given the storm surge, there could be any number of issues that have to be checked out before a ship can be cleared to traverse the channel.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, coaster said:

Any guesses on what port a cruise ship from Tampa can make it to in back in only 3 days? Don’t ever recall seeing it attempted before.

Key West comes to mind.

Edited by orville99

10 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Hope you have a safe cruise. We just left St Pete area and are driving home to Ft. Lauderdale.  Yesterday was not bad, lots of rain bands and some wind, but by afternoon the sun was shining. Hope you have a safe depart tomorrow. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, europe4fun said:

No updates yet today from the captain, which means still on track for tomorrow morning. They said we should start disembarking by 7 am. 

16 minutes ago, coaster said:

Any guesses on what port a cruise ship from Tampa can make it to in back in only 3 days? Don’t ever recall seeing it attempted before.

They can probably make it to Cozumel in about 24 hours at 22 knots, assuming 2 hours to clear Tampa Bay. At 24 knots they can do it in 22 hours. So maybe a 5-6 pm into Cozumel with a midnight or or 2 am dept. Not sure how late Cozumel stays open. All three of my cruises there have been canceled or rerouted, so have never actually made it there.

Serenades top speed is listed as 25 knots, I think the fasted I have seen her go is about 22 knots while onboard.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, toxicfairy said:

I saw this in your other post. Well I lost my car to hurricane Ike.. so it could have been worse.

I think there is a good reason sept and top of hurricane season used to be so cheap. Cheapest month. People forget how hurricanes can affect your cruise and sept fares hardly budge from full price. Hurricane fares imo should come back to reality like pre covid. There is a risk. 

I hear during earnings how they want to close the gap to land vacations. I think there should still be a gap. 

Carnival have updated what is happening for Carnival Paradise - also porting out of Tampa. 

"Carnival Paradise 08/31/23 – The cruise will now be operated as a 3-day, departing tomorrow, 09/01/23, as a voyage without a port of call.  We will communicate with impacted guests by 1:00 PM today. "

It would be lovely if Royal would inform us what is happening. I imagine that given the circumstances the US Government can provide a waiver for the laws regarding foreign ports.