Has Princess resumed the tour of the ship?

Nhsaltshaker

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Yes, free is different than $150. What does it a Cruise line to give a tour of the ship to selected guests? 

To me it would be a perk or a PR event.

The tour was quite intensive. It involved a lot of areas of the ship and a lot of ship's personnel. They can't give very many of them, so they have to limit them somehow. In my opinion, charging is one of the fairer ways to decide who gets to go.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jwattle said:

They'll show you the engine control room, not the actual engine room...

10 hours ago, jwattle said:

They'll show you the engine control room, not the actual engine room...

You're right about the real tour.  But, in my world, the "ultimate" ship tour would include the bridge, the engine room, the engine control room, and the I5 (or whatever a particular ship is calling the main corridor on deck 4) to show all of thje storage areas..

Edited by damiross

4 hours ago, damiross said:

You're right about the real tour.  But, in my world, the "ultimate" ship tour would include the bridge, the engine room, the engine control room, and the I5 (or whatever a particular ship is calling the main corridor on deck 4) to show all of thje storage areas..

Carnival: I-95

Princess: M1

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

The tour was quite intensive. It involved a lot of areas of the ship and a lot of ship's personnel. They can't give very many of them, so they have to limit them somehow. In my opinion, charging is one of the fairer ways to decide who gets to go.

Thanks for your opinion. I still believe that is too much. How long was the tour? Some people cannot afford $150 pp. 

I'm just talking about my experiences on Princess and the other cruise lines. How done many over the years. Many have these types for selected guests such as Most Traveled Cruisers, etc., Free. 

19 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

Have never done a ships tour, and so am unfamiliar with "the ladders".  Please explain.

On 8/31/2023 at 4:14 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Caribbean Princess had the culinary tour after the demonstration on the last sea day.  Jody, cruise director, did a presentation in the Explorers Lounge on a sea day.  She had slides showing all the crew areas (in place of Ultimate Ship's Tour)...for free.  It was enough for me since I can't do the ladders anymore.

16 hours ago, gsmith2424 said:

They are very step stairs to where you pretty much have to use the hand rails when going up and down.

I've been on at least three ship tours and haven't had to deal with ladders or even stairs except for one tour which allowed us to optionally climb the steep stairs on the outside (not really a ladder) into the superstructure.

19 hours ago, Oxo said:

For $150 you should get alot more! LOL

They use to be free!

But $ count! 

I've done many of the Free ones (especially on NCL) but this one is soooo much more.

Somebody said they didn't like the swag?  Even without it, having the small intimate tour,

was worth it to us. One ended in the Captains small conference room with a sitdown visit & refreshments.  If you haven't done it?  Then you don't know how much better this tour is.

I Do hope they bring them back.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Some people cannot afford $150 pp. 

Hmmm...we're talking about people who have *likely* spent several thousand dollars already...

But I tend to agree on a $150 price tag.  At least *half* that would be more palatable.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hmmm...we're talking about people who have *likely* spent several thousand dollars already...

But I tend to agree on a $150 price tag.  At least *half* that would be more palatable.

To cruise is about $150pppday. Then if you have a family of 4.

'Likely' is a very nebulous term. 

I have a cruise on Symphony OTS Central Park Balcony for 7 days out of Fort Lauderdale in Feb 24 for a total price of $673pp. That is $96pdaypp.  

How many hours is the tour? Been cruising Princess since 1987 and have many cruises and days with Princess. Been through many ship tours on the ships many times. Including the Bridge, Backstage, Gallery, Laundry, etc. Been on the Bridge and helipad as we left and arrived Venice. 

So, I do agree with you that $150 is high and should be worth maybe worth half that. 

JMHO!

53 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I have a cruise on Symphony OTS Central Park Balcony for 7 days out of Fort Lauderdale in Feb 24 for a total price of $673pp. That is $96pdaypp.  

How many hours is the tour? Been cruising Princess since 1987 and have many cruises and days with Princess. Been through many ship tours on the ships many times. Including the Bridge, Backstage, Gallery, Laundry, etc. Been on the Bridge and helipad as we left and arrived Venice. 

So, I do agree with you that $150 is high and should be worth maybe worth half that. 

JMHO!

The tour is about four hours, takes you to many spaces that you don't normally see, even on all of the "mini tours" includes a drink in the galley, refreshments on the bridge and the plush robe, photos, stationery, chefcoat or apron, photo frame and more, as well as some very in-depth knowledge plus Q&A with ship officers in each area.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jwattle said:

The tour is about four hours, takes you to many spaces that you don't normally see, even on all of the "mini tours" includes a drink in the galley, refreshments on the bridge and the plush robe, photos, stationery, chefcoat or apron, photo frame and more, as well as some very in-depth knowledge plus Q&A with ship officers in each area.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 1

In my opinion, the tour was worth $150, even without the swag. Princess has many shore excursions that a shorter and less interesting for more money. If you don't think it's worth it, then you don't need to book it. Personally, I don't think the Chef's Table Lumiere is worth the cost, even though I enjoyed the normal Chef's Table on an earlier cruise. But I don't object to others paying for it if they think it's worth it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

The tour has always intrigued me, but wife not interested.  I know I can go alone.  But, now I want to wait and tour Sun or Star.  It will be a 1-time thing for me, so may as well go for the latest and greatest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

In my opinion, the tour was worth $150, even without the swag. Princess has many shore excursions that a shorter and less interesting for more money. If you don't think it's worth it, then you don't need to book it. Personally, I don't think the Chef's Table Lumiere is worth the cost, even though I enjoyed the normal Chef's Table on an earlier cruise. But I don't object to others paying for it if they think it's worth it.

Thats the same thing I was thinking... I wouldn't pay for Chefs Table Lumiere.

For me..... the cost and courses would be lost, judging by the reviews I've read.

I haven't done one, so I can't really comment on attending one.

Yet those of us who HAVE done the $150 Tour Behind the Ships Tour, and say its Worth it...

at least we have our memories, if they don't bring them back. 

22 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Thats the same thing I was thinking... I wouldn't pay for Chefs Table Lumiere.

For me..... the cost and courses would be lost, judging by the reviews I've read.

I haven't done one, so I can't really comment on attending one.

Yet those of us who HAVE done the $150 Tour Behind the Ships Tour, and say its Worth it...

at least we have our memories, if they don't bring them back. 

I agree that the ships tour was well worth the money. Do you go to the PSD to inquire?

Anyone know if it’s offered on all of the Princess Ships?

I’ve been doing the Chef’s table, I organized a group of CC members on my cruise, & have throughly enjoyed every one. The same kind of meal here in San Francisco would easily be $400-500. 

Tom

16 hours ago, Oxo said:

JMHO!

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Which Princess ship has a helipad?  

Oxo was writing about RCI and Princess. You already know Princess ships don't have helipads so it must have been a RCI ship.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Which Princess ship has a helipad?  

You are correct! Sorry, I was on another cruise line when I was on the helipad going out of or into Venice.  Done too many Cruises and getting old. LOL

Happy Cruising! 

I guess we cannot all think the same way. We do many different things on a cruise.

So, those of you who think $150 is worth it or the Chefs table is worth it, Go 4 it.

Happy Cruising & Happy Labor Day.

Getting closer to our Enchanted Princess 21 day Med cruise in Oct 2023.